2. Dinner With The Goddess
2.1k 11 58
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bruno's eyes fluttered open, greeted by a breathtaking sight. He found himself seated in an opulent, cushioned chair, adorned with intricate designs. Before him sprawled a grand table, resplendent with a plethora of culinary delights. An array of meats, fish, and vibrant salads tantalized his senses, prepared through various cooking techniques—baked, boiled, fried in deep oil, or artfully presented in their raw, natural form.

On the other side of the table sat a captivating young woman, her lustrous brunette hair cascading around her shoulders. Clad in a simple yet elegant green robe, delicate patterns embellished the collar and sleeves, hinting at meticulous craftsmanship. She emanated an air of grace and confidence, devoid of ostentatious jewelry that often symbolized elevated status.

With her elbows resting on the table, the woman intertwined her fingers in front of her mouth, partially obscuring her plump, pinkish lips. Bruno, attempting to ground himself in this surreal encounter, adjusted his position in the chair and finally mustered the words to speak.

"Where am I?" he inquired, his voice laced with a mixture of bewilderment and curiosity.

A smile danced across the woman's face as she replied, "You are in my domain."

"My domain?" he echoed, a tinge of disbelief in his voice. "But... I was just killed…"

"Yes, technically you are dead," she explained, her smile unwavering. "But fear not, for in this realm, we do not concern ourselves with such mundane realities. My name is Udaanah, and I must say, I am an avid admirer of yours. You, the most promising merchant of your generation, who never once sought my favor for good luck. You achieved greatness through sheer determination and skill. Impressive, indeed."

Bruno's gaze darted around the lavish surroundings, still grappling with the surreal nature of his situation. "I prayed to you?" he mused aloud, his unease palpable.

"For the first time, indeed," Udaanah confirmed, her voice gentle yet filled with an enigmatic tone. "However, I must regretfully inform you that I am unable to grant your initial request. It is exceedingly challenging to aid someone in uncovering the culprit behind a web of intrigue when they are no longer among the living. But fret not, for the second part of your desires remains within the realm of possibility."

Overwhelmed by the flood of information, Bruno took a moment to collect his thoughts. "The second part? You mean helping me build my own trading empire, proving to my father the gravity of his mistake in disowning me? How can that be achieved when I am dead?"

Udaanah dismissively waved her hand, a mischievous glimmer in her eyes. "Those are mere details, my dear Bruno. How about setting your sights even higher? Imagine creating the ultimate business, forging a genuine empire that surpasses all others."

Her words hung in the air, stirring a mixture of astonishment and intrigue within Bruno's heart. Udaanah abruptly rose from her seat, her hands outstretched in a sweeping motion.

"What? An empire?" Bruno sputtered, struggling to comprehend the magnitude of her proposition.

Udaanah settled back into her chair, her gaze fixed upon him. "Listen closely," she began, her voice filled with an otherworldly allure. "I offer you an extraordinary opportunity. I will transport you to a different world, where you will retain all your memories, experiences, and the essence of who you are. In exchange, I ask for a small, minuscule favor."

"W-what favor?" Bruno stammered, his mind racing to comprehend the weight of Udaanah's proposition.

"You may know me as Udaanah, a renowned goddess of wealth and trade, but in that other world, I am less recognized and known by a different name. My followers are scarce, and this poses a predicament for us gods," she explained, her voice carrying an undertone of urgency. "So here is the deal: I will grant you a reincarnation, and in return, you will spread my religion."

Bruno furrowed his brow, a mixture of disbelief and apprehension clouding his face. "You want me to become a cult leader?" he questioned, his skepticism evident.

The idea seemed preposterous, considering he had never been particularly religious himself. His previous prayer had been nothing more than an impulsive decision.

"It's not a cult!" Udaanah retorted, her voice brimming with indignation as she teetered on the edge of rising from her seat. "Never mind. Let's both calm down."

"I am perfectly calm," Bruno replied, maintaining his composure. "It's just that your proposition is undeniably peculiar."

"Well, take it or leave it," Udaanah stated matter-of-factly, her tone unwavering.

Though Bruno struggled to fully grasp the intricacies of the situation, the allure of a second life beckoned to him. The alternative, the unknown consequences of refusal, loomed ominously. Still, he felt compelled to gather more information, to delve deeper into the intricacies of this arrangement, by engaging in further conversation with Udaanah.

"I require more details," Bruno asserted, his determination seeping into his voice. "Who will I be reincarnated as? And where? Can I have some knowledge of the region, at least?"

"That is the tricky part," Udaanah replied, her expression serene. "You cannot choose, but trust me, I will select the perfect time, place, and family for your reincarnation."

A smile graced her lips, but it quickly vanished as Bruno pressed further, seeking clarification on the region.

"Let us make it a surprise," Udaanah declared, her tone growing cryptic.

"That's nonsense!" Bruno exclaimed, frustration and uncertainty mingling within him.

"Perhaps," The goddess conceded, a note of finality creeping into her voice. "But the alternative is far worse. I can simply make you cease to exist."

Raising one eyebrow, she regarded Bruno with an air of confidence, as if she had already emerged victorious in their verbal skirmish.

Bruno fell into silence, carefully contemplating the entire conversation. Udaanah's fervent eagerness to send him on a purposeful mission indicated its significance to her. If her followers were failing to spread her religion and she was resorting to an outsider, it meant he held some leverage over her.

"Fine, but I have one condition," Bruno finally spoke up, his voice laced with determination.

"I would argue that you are not in a position to make any conditions, but let me hear it," Udaanah responded, her tone tinged with skepticism.

"Who killed me?" Bruno asked directly, his gaze fixed upon the goddess. "You're a goddess, and contrary to what you said, you can make the first part of my prayer come true. You can simply tell me, unless, of course, you don't know."

"Hmpf! Of course, I know," Udaanah huffed, her expression slightly indignant. "I'm a goddess, after all! I just fail to see why it's so important right now. You're dead, what difference will it make?"

"Let's just say I'm curious," Bruno leaned back in his chair, adopting a more comfortable position. He relished the sensation of taking the lead in the conversation.

The goddess let out a sigh, relenting to his persistence. "It was your stepmother. She orchestrated everything, including the assassination. The following day, your killers, undoubtedly not the real culprits, will be found among the working class, with a convenient tale of sneaking into your room to steal gold."

"Who would believe that?" he exclaimed. "I am well-known in the city. Nobody would dare to lay a hand on me. I practically lifted these people from the brink of starvation. Do you have any idea how much wealth my trade brought to this region?"

"With a few well-placed arrangements, the story will be accepted," Udaanah assured him, her tone filled with an air of confidence. "You don’t need to worry about that."

"I'm not worried," Bruno retorted, his frustration seeping into his words. "It's simply absurd. It should never have happened in the first place. Did my stepmother receive celestial assistance in her foolish plot? Otherwise, I fail to see how it could have occurred. It's inconceivable! How did she even gain access to the documentation?"

The goddess sighed once more, her patience waning. "I will tell you, but only if you agree to my terms first. You will be reincarnated and spread the faith in me."

"Fine, I agree," Bruno acquiesced, feeling a sense of resignation.

"She received divine assistance. Without it, indeed, the plot would be impossible to succeed," Udaanah admitted, her voice laced with reluctance.

"Oh, wonderful. So who was it? Or was that you, who killed me?" Bruno scoffed, exasperation surging through him as he flung his hands up in exasperation.

"No. The one to kill you was an assassin. Now go and spread the faith in Hadhawa far and wide! And stop asking meaningless questions! We don’t need another conflict between gods!" Udaanah declared, her voice commanding. In an instant, the table vanished, along with everything that adorned it.

Suddenly, she stood right beside him and pushed him with such force that he tumbled backward, desperately reaching out to grab onto something. He kept falling and falling until, at some point, he ceased to exist…

Everything plunged into darkness, and faint voices echoed in the void, their words unintelligible.

"The baby is dead…"

When Bruno regained consciousness, he found himself in a small room nestled in the attic, the single open window offering a view of a bustling street. However, opening his eyes in his new body proved to be a struggle.

Within the room were three individuals. His new father tightly clutched his wife's hand as she lay exhausted on the bed. Both the sheets and her dress were drenched in blood and sweat.

Standing nearby was a tall man, wiping his hands with a towel, his apron stained with dirt and grime. He had just finished tending to the cradle.

"H-how ca-an this be-e?" the mother mumbled weakly, her exhaustion evident in her speech.

"Rest, honey," the father pleaded, his voice filled with concern.

"The kid was stillborn. I couldn't do anything," the accoucheur confessed.

The room was filled with a foul odor, assaulting Bruno's senses, but his eyes still refused to cooperate.

"Open those bloody eyes!" he shouted at the top of his lungs, though the sound that emerged was different.

"B-ba…"

The man immediately turned towards the sound, surprise etched across his face. Both the mother and father directed their attention to the cradle.

"I-is h-e a-live?" the mother managed to ask, her voice tinged with hope.

Leaning closer to the baby, the man pressed his cheek against the tiny nose, attempting to detect any sign of breath. With his thumb, he gently lifted the eyelid, peering into the infant's unresponsive eyes.

"Aha! That's how this works!" Bruno exclaimed, though his voice took on a different quality.

"Gu…"

He focused his sight on the face of the tall man, eager to see the outcome.

"He is alive... But he was..." the man trailed off, shaking his head as if trying to dispel a dream. "He is alive. Yes, he is alive!"

A faint smile crept across his lips as he nodded at the relieved parents. And thus, the real story began to unfold...

58