4. The New Kid
1.7k 0 65
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bruno sat down to have breakfast at Mrs. Griselda's cramped abode, alongside the three other children under her care. The shack was akin to countless others in the area, featuring a bed tucked against one wall and a makeshift brick oven on the other, where all the cooking took place. A rickety table occupied the center of the room, its four chairs currently occupied.

Typically, their caretaker would be present, but this time she was absent momentarily. However, she swiftly returned, accompanied by a tall boy of slightly darker skin, adorned with a crown of black, curly hair, and piercing hazelnut eyes. He possessed an unexpected stature for his age and an admirable physique.

"Boys, this is Raul, and he will be under my care from today onwards. I hope you will get along," Mrs. Griselda announced, though the children knew her "hope" concealed an implicit demand for compliance, enforced through violent means if necessary.

"Hi, Raul," Bruno greeted, briefly acknowledging the newcomer before resuming his focus on his meal—a meager serving of leftover soup from the previous day.

"Hi," Raul responded quietly, blending into the group without further ado. Mrs. Griselda fetched a stool from outside, and the children rearranged themselves to accommodate the newcomer, wordlessly assimilating him into their breakfast routine. Bruno finished his food soon after, rising from his seat to take his leave.

"Where are you going?" Mrs. Griselda inquired.

"I promised to be early today. I need to clean up the kitchen and assist with food preparation. A ship is docking today, and we'll have plenty of regular customers," Bruno replied, a fabrication he often employed to secure his early departure.

In truth, he sought solitude, yearning for uninterrupted contemplation. In his mind, he was formulating a plan to extricate himself from his current circumstances. He yearned for a revolutionary product that would seize the market's attention, enabling him to establish himself before the clutches of the criminal underworld reached his business ventures.

Such illicit activities were rampant in the city, with the influence of pirates casting an ominous shadow over everyday life. Achieving his ambitious goals would be no trifling matter.

Hurrying through the bustling alleyways of the docks, Bruno headed straight for the tavern. Purposeful individuals scurried about, engrossed in their respective tasks, eager to secure their share of coins. He walked by Viki, already prowling for unsuspecting sailors to relieve of their belongings. A silent acknowledgment passed between them, and she even bestowed a smile upon him. In those days, she fared remarkably well, providing both for herself and her younger brother, who exhibited an exceptional talent for picking locks but lacked Viki's dexterity in extracting coins from pockets.

The day began with its customary busyness but gradually quieted down as Bruno was assigned the task of gutting several fish in the secluded alley behind the tavern. This was his moment of respite, his chance to engage in introspection, yet once again, the answers he sought eluded him.

The hours slipped away unnoticed, and as evening approached, Bruno, weary from a day's toil, trudged his way back to the shack. However, his path was obstructed by a group of children, led by none other than the new boy himself.

Staring directly into Raul's eyes, Bruno asked, "What do you want?"

With a sly smile, Raul replied, "Oh, nothing much. Just thinking about your nice job over there. Hard to believe that all you earn ends up in the hands of an old lady. So... why don't you share some of your side earnings with us, and we will let you return safely home?" His little gang snickered in agreement.

"What makes you think I earn anything on the side?" Bruno retorted.

"Because I once knew a kid who worked at a tavern. Coins slipped out of pockets. Some people were even generous... So?"

"That kid must have been lucky, but I'm not. I don't earn anything more than what Mrs. Griselda receives at the end of the week."

Raul signaled his companions, and they lunged forward to seize Bruno. He could have attempted to flee, but he knew it would only prolong the ordeal, so he chose to confront it head-on.

Approaching Bruno, the newfound leader of the gang delivered a powerful blow to his stomach, causing him to double over and collapse, his assailants releasing their grip.

"I want the coins tomorrow if you don't want another beating," Raul snarled, spitting on the ground.

The raucous group departed, their laughter trailing behind them. Struggling to his feet, Bruno slowly made his way to his father's shack. He had been expected at Mrs. Griselda's for dinner, but he never arrived. Instead, he spent the night lying on his makeshift bedding at the foot of his father's bed, lost in thought.

The following day, Bruno returned to Mrs. Griselda's dwelling as if nothing had transpired. The other children chuckled at him, drawing the caretaker's attention. She inquired about the situation, but received only a dismissive response of "nothing." Unconcerned, she did not press the matter further.

Bruno hurriedly consumed his breakfast, eager to depart before the others, keen on avoiding their prying gazes. As he ventured a few streets away, Viki joined him. Clad in form-fitting leather pants that accentuated her youthful curves, she exuded a captivating allure. The laced white shirt exposed her bare shoulders, further enhancing her beauty. Her cascading curls, now slightly longer, framed her face, and her mesmerizing green eyes completed the enchanting image.

"I heard you got beaten up," Viki said, catching up to Bruno.

"I did, and I'm gonna need your help," he replied.

"You want me to beat up the guys who got you?" she retorted, a mischievous smirk playing on her lips. "How manly of you."

"No," Bruno stopped and turned to face her. "I want you to look into Raul. He just came under Mrs. Griselda's care. I want to know about his family and his past. Can you do it for me?"

Her smile widened, and she moved closer, placing a hand on his chest. "Of course, I can," she whispered, winking at him before swiftly turning on her heel and leaving.

Bruno let out a sigh. Lately, Viki had been acting more and more this way, deliberately using her charm on him. Practicing her skills, it seemed.

The rest of the day unfolded like any other. Bruno toiled in the tavern until late evening before finally departing. Shortly after, Viki made her presence known, joining him on his way back.

"What did you find out?" he asked abruptly, as they passed by a few unfamiliar faces.

Even at this hour, the streets buzzed with people still chasing after coins, but an increasing number of inebriated souls emerged with each passing hour.

"Well, he may have beaten you up, but he's quite a poor kid himself," Viki began. "His father is a notorious heavy drinker, known for his violence. Recently, his mother died. Officially, she fell down the stairs, but I suspect her husband beat her to death. They were kicked out from their previous home and are now living here."

Bruno fell silent, his mind immediately whirling as it processed and analyzed how to best utilize this information. Eventually, he stopped and turned to face Viki.

"Heavy drinker... Violent," he muttered to himself. "I'm going to need you to do me a few favors."

"A few favors? What makes you think I owe you any?"

"Maybe you owe, maybe you don't, but if you want to stop living like you are living now, you will help me," Bruno said, a sly smirk playing on his face. "I have a grand plan."

"Okay, I'm listening," Viki replied, rolling her eyes to feign disinterest.

"I just got an idea of how to earn mountains of coins and fix my problems along the way," Bruno explained.

"Mountains of coins? That sounds interesting. What do we need to do? Steal it from the nobles?" Viki snorted.

"I'm not joking, V. First of all, I will need you to get me a few bottles of rum and keep tabs on Raul's father. I need to know when he will be in the city," Bruno outlined.

"Okay, but you know... money doesn't grow on trees."

"I'll pay you for that rum," Bruno assured her.

"So, you do have money," a slight smirk appeared on Viki's face.

"So, you've heard what it's all about?"

"Of course, I did. Who do you think I am? I know everything," Viki replied, wiggling her eyebrows mischievously.

"You didn't know I was saving money. That's really disrespectful. Who do you think I am, an idiot?"

"You are many things, Bruno, but certainly not an idiot."

"I can agree with that. Now, can you do what I asked you to?" Bruno inquired.

"Consider it done," she stated confidently.

"Good. Now I need to find a way to avoid a beating on my way back," he sighed.

Viki laughed and headed off in a different direction. He continued his walk towards Mrs. Griselda's shack, deliberately taking a longer route to approach from a different direction than usual.

As he arrived, the woman awaited him with food laid out on the table. Everyone except him had already started eating. Raul glanced at Bruno, a smile creeping onto his face. He ignored it, already knowing that payback was imminent, and it would be substantial.

65