8. Thief and the Alchemist
1.4k 4 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next five days were a blur for Bruno, as he toiled without rest. Daylight hours were dedicated to his work, while the nights were consumed by endless reading, with flickering candlelight serving as his sole companion. The strain on his eyes and body was immense, but he had no choice.

He despised this relentless routine. In his previous life, he would occasionally encounter similar situations, but he always managed to squeeze in at least six hours of sleep. Admittedly, most nights he would only manage to scrape by with four, but it was sufficient to function adequately. Now, such luxuries were out of the question. His financial situation couldn't afford him a longer reprieve from work.

Throughout this grueling period, Bruno diligently transcribed copious notes. Page after page became a repository of knowledge, capturing information on various plants, animal parts, and minerals that held the potential to yield the desired effects. He also searched for substances that might amplify the desired characteristics or mitigate the accompanying side effects, or at the very least, temper them.

The books he consulted offered little guidance in this regard, primarily focusing on the properties of individual plants, animal parts, or minerals. Undeterred, he meticulously recorded details on every toxic substance as well. Crafting poisons held great interest for him, as it could prove advantageous in the future. He aspired to render his body immune to as many toxins as possible, an endeavor that required consuming minuscule doses over time. It was a painstaking process, and the sooner he began, the better.

Not to mention the potential utility of toxins in eliminating unwanted adversaries.

Bruno made the most of the resources at his disposal, fashioning sketches of the necessary equipment and compiling a list of the materials he would require. Kitchen utensils, empty bottles, scissors, nippers—whatever he could acquire with his limited means found a place on the list.

Once his preparations were complete, he sought out Viki after finishing his shift at the "Salty Sturgeon." He discovered her in one of her customary haunts—a dimly lit alleyway opposite the "Full Keg," the most renowned tavern in the entire dock area. This establishment was a favored spot for captains and prosperous business owners to revel, with a brothel located on the upper floor. It was a nightmare for wives but a veritable paradise for the affluent, predominantly men. The cacophony emanating from within permeated the streets, and the illuminated windows spilled their warm glow onto the darkening thoroughfare.

A throng of people loitered near the tavern's entrance, yet none appeared to be worth Viki's efforts at pilfering.

From a distance, Viki spotted him making a beeline toward her, prompting her to abandon her position and meet him halfway. As they closed in on each other, he wasted no time.

"I have the list," he announced.

A sour smile graced Viki's face as she retorted, "I can't read, so you can shove the list up your ass."

Taken aback, Bruno asked, "Why are you so angry?"

"It's been a bad day. What do you need?"

With a sigh, Bruno began reciting the entire list from memory, surprising Viki with his ability to recall such details.

"That is quite a lot," she remarked.

"It's all cheap stuff. I can give you eight iron galleons, which should cover most of it," he offered.

Viki raised an eyebrow, questioning, "How the hell did you get eight iron galleons?"

"Working hard and stealing from drunk guests. How else do you think I could amass this much?" He explained matter-of-factly.

"You have to be a better thief than I thought."

"I'm an opportunist, not a thief. Now..." Bruno retrieved a piece of paper from his pocket and slid it into Viki's hand, concealing a bundle of coins. "Take this and get what you can."

She nodded, accepting the money.

"If you have the money, why don't you buy it yourself?" Viki inquired. "There must be a reason for me to do it, right?"

"If someone sees me purchasing these things, Mrs. Griselda will have my head. I've been hiding the money from her, and she may not seem like it, but all she cares about is money. Besides, I'm working all day and don't have the time," Bruno explained.

"Now I understand. Can you repeat what I need to buy again? I doubt there will be anybody to read it for me," she requested.

He let out a weary sigh but complied. He painstakingly repeated every item, ensuring she didn't miss a single detail. Once she had recited the list back to him, he corrected any errors. With their task complete, they went their separate ways. Viki cast a glance over her shoulder at the "Full Keg" and swiftly departed. With the newly acquired money, there was no need to linger and risk unwanted attention.

She roamed the docks, cautiously ensuring no one was tailing her until she arrived near one of the derelict warehouses. This particular structure had once served as a wine storage facility, but now it stood empty, serving as the headquarters for her small gang. Under normal circumstances, they would have been swiftly expelled, but thanks to Nathan's connections, they managed to claim it as their own, albeit with a tribute to Edward Samson or one of his lackeys, known to Nathan.

Nathan himself stood outside the warehouse, chewing tobacco and gazing at the moon. A glimmer caught Viki's eye as the moonlight danced upon the blade of the knife he idly toyed with. She approached, closing the distance until she could finally see his face. Towering over her, he had brown hair tied back in a ponytail, and a prominent scar running just below his right eye. His ever-present sly smirk accentuated his features.

"How did it go?" he asked without averting his gaze, as Viki drew nearer.

"It didn't. No good fish to catch," she replied, a hint of disappointment in her voice.

"But you got the money," Nathan pointed out.

Her body tensed for a moment, and she bit her lip, a shiver coursing down her spine.

"But it's not…"

"I don't care," he interrupted, shifting his attention from the moon to meet her eyes. "You pay half."

"But it's not my money. I have to buy some things with it," Viki protested.

"Let me repeat myself for the last time. I don't care," Nathan retorted firmly.

She glared at him, her gaze filled with seething hatred, as she reached into her pockets, her breath coming in ragged gasps. Finally, she pulled out the piece of paper wrapped around the coins, handing it all over to him.

Nathan glanced at the list.

"Since when can you read?" he inquired.

Silence hung in the air, leaving his question unanswered. He simply shrugged his shoulders, counted the coins, and returned four of them to Viki along with the piece of paper.

"Half is half," he stated, spitting the chewed tobacco onto the ground before making his way inside.

She decided to wait outside, seething with anger, gritting her teeth, before eventually following suit and stepping into the warehouse.

46