10. Midnight Visitor
1.3k 1 47
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

An insistent pounding on Bruno's door jolted him awake, his drowsiness giving way to alertness. The voice that accompanied the commotion was familiar, and he quickly recognized it putting a name to the sound.

"Viki?" he questioned, taken aback, as he swiftly rose from his makeshift bed.

"Please!" she pleaded urgently from outside.

Navigating the darkness was a challenge, especially with delicate alchemical equipment strewn about. Bruno moved cautiously, mindful of avoiding any collisions. Finally, he reached the door and removed the latch, opening it to let the girl inside.

The night enveloped them, but the faint glimmer of starlight revealed tears glistening on Viki's face. Gasping for breath, it was evident she had rushed to him from some distant place.

"What happened?" the boy inquired, his concern evident in his voice.

"Tom...he was caught by the guards. We were stealing the items you wanted, and… he sacrificed himself to let me escape," she stammered, her lips trembling.

"Come inside," Bruno said, motioning for her to enter his abode.

Peering outside to ensure no one followed her, he left the door slightly ajar, utilizing the meager illumination to gather some tinder and hay. Soon, a flickering flame illuminated the room, casting dancing shadows on the nearby table adorned with glass bottles of varying shapes. The rest of the shack's interior remained shrouded in darkness.

Viki watched Bruno intently, awaiting his response, but he remained silent for a moment, collecting his thoughts.

"The guard caught him?" he finally asked.

"Yes," she confirmed, her voice wavering.

"Do you have any knowledge of where they took him?" he pressed further.

"Most likely to the city dungeon. It was too late for immediate punishment..." Viki replied, her voice trailing off.

"Do you have any idea how many guards are typically stationed at this hour in the dungeon?" Bruno queried, his mind already strategizing their next move.

"I'm not sure... Maybe three?" Viki responded uncertainly.

"Hmm..." He fell silent, deep in thought.

Meanwhile, Viki's legs trembled uncontrollably, unable to bear her weight any longer. She hastily grabbed a nearby stool, seating herself upon it. Her eyes remained fixated on Bruno's face, illuminated by the flickering candlelight.

"I have an idea, but it involves you getting caught," he stated bluntly, locking eyes with her.

"Me?" The girl exclaimed, her voice filled with disbelief.

"Yes. You need to enter the dungeon with a lockpick. Tom will free both of you as long as he has one," Bruno explained, his voice steady.

"But what about the guards?"

"I believe I have something that might help, but I need a moment. Do you have a lockpick with you?" He inquired.

"No... But I can get one quickly," Viki replied, determination resolute in her voice.

"Then what are you waiting for? Go and retrieve it," Bruno urged.

Nodding, Viki bolted out of the shack, inadvertently knocking over the stool she had been sitting on. Meanwhile, he calmly retrieved the notebook filled with his alchemical concoctions, carefully thumbing through the pages to identify the type of poison he could create with his existing ingredients.

Though his supplies were limited due to his recent foray into theft, there were a few viable options. Opting for a deadly poison to ensure the guards wouldn't survive and potentially recognize Viki and Tom later, Bruno set to work. He ignited a fire in his makeshift heater, boiling a selection of plants and dispatching a couple of toads he kept in a wooden cage outside, created from salvaged materials from the city's scraps.

Letting out a resigned sigh, Bruno focused on his task at hand.

After a strenuous sprint, Viki returned, clutching a stiff wire, her breath ragged from the exertion. To her surprise, Bruno was waiting for her, seated on the stool just outside his shack. In his possession was a small bottle containing a lethal concoction of rum mixed with the poison.

"You'll take this and conceal it so the guards won't find it on you," he instructed, presenting the bottle. "But remember, don't consume it yourself. Instead, ensure that other prisoners catch sight of it. When they request a share, you must refuse, creating a commotion that will attract the attention of the guards. If there are no other prisoners, make sure the guards notice it. Hide the lockpick in your hair; they won't think to check there. Once they drink the poisoned rum and fall asleep, pass the lockpick to Tom. He will free you both. And remember, release any other prisoners as well. Do you understand?"

She nodded, her determination unwavering despite the uncertainty that clouded Bruno's plan.

"You sure this will work?" she inquired, just in case.

"No. In fact, there's a high chance that this plan won't work," he admitted, his tone heavy with caution. "But right now, it's the best option we have. I must warn you, though, there's a real possibility that you may end up facing the same fate as your brother. I'm advising you not to go."

"They will cut his hand, Bruno!" Viki's voice trembled with emotion.

"I know," he replied solemnly. "That's why I won't stop you. But please understand, if the plan fails, they might even hang you for what you're about to do."

Viki took a deep breath, mustering her resolve. With a determined grip, she took the bottle from Bruno's hand and vanished into the encompassing darkness. Bruno sighed, a heavy burden weighing on his heart. He retreated back into his shack, carrying the stool along with him. Tom meant little to him, but Viki was different. She held value, loyalty, and friendship.

Sleep eluded him now. The interior of his shack was bathed in an unusual brightness, not only from the flickering candle but also from the crackling fireplace. Chaos reigned within the small space, exacerbated by his hasty concoctions of poison in the dead of night.

With a sigh, Bruno set to work tidying up the disarray. The remnants of the butchered toads were tossed into the hungry flames of the fireplace, their fate sealed. He collected the used glassware, separating those in need of washing from the clutter.

Knowing it was impossible to fetch water in the middle of the night, he resigned himself to wait until morning for the cleaning task. The shack remained in disarray, a testament to the restless night and the urgency of their mission.

47