13. Request
1.1k 0 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

During the next few days, Bruno settled into his new way of life. Each morning, he would engage in simple exercises to invigorate his body, a routine he had followed since his previous life, knowing it had a positive impact on his well-being and work. Following the exercises, he dedicated several minutes to meditation, calming his mind and finding focus. With a clear head, he would then commence his experiments. However, progress was limited due to the absence of crucial ingredients that Nathan was responsible for procuring.

Among the necessary components, the leaves of the raisin tree showed promise and proved relatively easy to obtain compared to other plants he required. Animal parts, on the other hand, proved to be more challenging to acquire, leading him to postpone his focus on them until more viable alternatives were found.

After a few hours of experimentation, Viki would arrive with food, providing Bruno with a break to eat and engage in conversation with her. They would discuss the progress the young thieves had made in gathering the necessary supplies for their project.

Following their conversation, Bruno would return to his work, punctuated by short exercise breaks, diligently continuing until nightfall. At the end of the day, Viki would return once more, bringing food to sustain Bruno during his evening hours of productivity.

The routine persisted with occasional variations, such as when Bruno approached Nathan, requesting to test his creations on the local drunkards. These potions exhibited different effects—some proved helpful in alleviating hangovers, while others proved ineffective. Occasionally, side effects emerged, although nothing unexpected or severe occurred. Yet, all the formulas Bruno experimented with failed to meet his expectations, leaving him dissatisfied.

However, on that particular day, something Bruno had anticipated for quite some time finally transpired—Nathan paid him a visit.

"I need poison," the chef of thieves declared without preamble.

"What kind?" inquired the young alchemist, halting his mixture of two substances, intrigued by the prospect of crafting another prototype for his formula.

"A working kind," he responded.

"But what are the desired effects you seek? Do you wish for someone to be killed, to fall ill, to be paralyzed? Define your expectations," Bruno probed, seeking clarity in order to tailor the poison to Nathan's requirements.

"Dead," Nathan replied, the sour smile on his lips indicating his lack of expertise in the matter.

The young alchemist recognized that the thief was unaware of the specifics of applying the poison.

"How will you administer the poison?" Bruno pressed for details.

"Just do as I ask," Nathan gritted his teeth, a shadow of anger crossing his face.

"I need to know the method so I can create the most suitable substance for your plan," the boy insisted, seeking clarity.

"I will make them drink it," the thug finally disclosed.

"Will you add it to their drinks? Are you planning to celebrate something with them? I can create something that resembles ordinary alcohol," Bruno suggested.

Nathan nodded in agreement. "Do that."

"I will need a few things—a furnace, freshly cut wood from a leafy tree, and an ample supply of coal," Bruno listed, turning away from Nathan to assess his equipment. "Yes, that's all I'll need."

"Pack the necessary items and meet me outside," the thug commanded.

"Also, send Viki here. I will require her assistance," the young alchemist added.

Nathan retrieved chewing tobacco from his pocket, placed it in his mouth, and nodded before leaving. Shortly thereafter, the girl arrived.

"What do you need me for?" she inquired.

"I need your help in gathering a few things," Bruno replied, pointing towards the equipment and immediately taking a portion of it.

Viki approached, ready to assist, and picked up the remaining items.

"I will also need you to acquire some new books for me," the boy whispered to her.

Viki froze, studying him carefully, then nodded in understanding. Together, they departed with containers made of glass and clay to rendezvous with Nathan, who was already waiting outside, chewing his tobacco.

Without uttering a single word, the thief leader led them to a potting workshop, instructing them to wait while he entered. The space was small, filled with ceramics both inside and outside. Some of the creations were visible from the street through the windows and the open door, offering a glimpse of the craftsmanship within.

Bruno observed as Nathan exchanged a few words with the workshop owner and handed over some coins. Soon after, he emerged from the shop.

"You can use his workshop at the back for the rest of the day," Nathan informed the young alchemist. "The guys will bring you what you need shortly."

Without wasting any time, Bruno entered the shop, following the owner to a backroom. Inside, he found machinery for shaping clay into pots, operated by pedals and wooden gears. There was also a large furnace, specifically designed for firing pottery. It sat on a flat surface surrounded by flames, with bellows to increase the temperature. A pile of charcoal, a substantial amount of clay, and a barrel filled with water were present. The rest of the space was filled with even more pottery than in the front of the shop.

Bruno immediately began preparing everything for the process of dry distilling the wood, relying on knowledge from his past life rather than books. Viki watched attentively, offering assistance wherever she could. Before long, the young thieves arrived with the requested wood and a wheelbarrow full of coal. Although there was enough charcoal in the workshop, Bruno decided to utilize all the coal they brought.

Once everything was prepared and the containers were placed in the furnace alongside the wood, Bruno ignited the fire. With that task completed, his main focus was ensuring the temperature reached its maximum potential, requiring consistent work with the bellows. He soon discovered it was more challenging than it appeared, and Viki took turns assisting him as his young muscles grew fatigued.

By the end of the day, they had produced a single bottle of poison and returned to the warehouse. They had to leave the remaining equipment to cool overnight. Nathan awaited them outside.

"Here," Bruno said, offering his employer a bottle with a cork. "It should smell and taste like alcohol but do not attempt to sniff or drink it. It's highly potent and inhaling the fumes alone could make you go blind. The quantity should be more than sufficient for your needs."

The leader of the thieves first glanced at Viki, making a gesture for her to enter the warehouse.

"Have you informed her about what this is?" Nathan inquired as soon as the girl disappeared inside.

"No, but she's not foolish. She likely figured it out. By the way, I will need more books to expand my knowledge," Bruno replied.

"I'll think about that. You can go now," the thief replied to the young alchemist’s suggestion.

"I'm gonna take a walk, stretch my legs. It's been a long day of work," the boy declared

Nathan nonchalantly shrugged his shoulders. He spat the tobacco on the ground and disappeared through the warehouse door.

Bruno, on the other hand, began his stroll, wandering through the streets and making his way toward the harbor. At night, the harbor wasn't as bustling, but a few people still roamed about. Some drunken individuals stumbled aimlessly, not even sure of their destination. Others, not quite inebriated enough, sang bawdy songs mostly centered around debauchery and indulgence, filling the air with their own laughter.

He eventually settled at the end of a pier, surrounded by boats, his legs dangling above the water as he gazed up at the stars. He needed time to think. Nathan's sudden interest in poisons could mean trouble in various forms. It was an inevitable occurrence, but Bruno hadn't anticipated it happening so soon. He had to find a way to eliminate the thug before it was too late. To do that, he needed to uncover Nathan's connection to Edward Samson or, more specifically, a captain from the infamous pirate fleet.

"What are you thinking about?" Viki's sudden question broke the silence.

Startled, Bruno turned to see her approaching. He had heard her footsteps on the wooden pier, but her presence still caught him off guard.

"Thinking," he replied simply.

"About what?" she pressed.

"Trouble. I need another favor."

"You always need a favor," Viki retorted with a hint of amusement.

"I'll repay you for every single one," he assured her.

She let out a slight snort. "What do you need this time?"

"More books. I've already asked Nathan, but I want you to approach him and suggest stealing them for me. This time, I need history and geography books in addition to botany and alchemy texts."

"Finding books isn't easy..." Viki hesitated.

"I know. Take your time," Bruno reassured her.

She sighed, conceding to his request. "Hey... The thing we made today, was it…"

"Yes," he interrupted her. "Another poison. But you already knew that, didn't you?"

"I did. Do you know what he needed it for?" Viki asked.

"No, but we'll likely find out soon enough. Let's head back. I'm tired," Bruno said, rising from his seat.

Together, they made their way back to the warehouse.

46