15. History Lesson
1.1k 2 47
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nathan seemed either intoxicated by his own plan or driven by strong motivations because Bruno swiftly obtained everything he had requested. All the ingredients and items necessary for producing petards were promptly provided, including the scarce saltpeter, which was a rarity in those parts of the world.

More importantly, the young alchemist also acquired the books he needed. The texts delved into various subjects, including alchemy, history, and geography.

While creating the explosives was a relatively straightforward process, Bruno deliberately extended his work to allocate more time for writing his notes. He also wanted to ensure that his product wouldn't be excessively potent. Instead, he aimed to focus on generating intense flames rather than causing large-scale destruction, which required some experimentation.

Dangerous experimentation.

After a few days, Bruno completed his task, and the finished product ended up in Nathan's possession. Later that day, the young alchemist returned to the harbor to gaze at the stars under the night sky. After a brief period, the sound of footsteps resonated on the pier. He didn't need to turn around to know who it was.

"Nathan just sent a few boys to burn the hideouts of the three rival crews," Viki informed him.

"I know. He couldn't wait to set his plan in motion once I gave him the petards. I anticipated this would happen after nightfall," Bruno replied, glancing over his shoulder.

The city lay engulfed in darkness, indicating that the boys had yet to complete their tasks.

"So... What now?" she inquired, her voice laced with uncertainty.

"I'm not sure," the boy responded with an air of calmness. "How much do you know about the history of Blackrock?"

"Nothing," she admitted, shrugging her shoulders.

Bruno nodded slowly, though she couldn't see his gesture.

"Well, you see... A little over fifteen years ago, this city still belonged to the Hanza kingdom. However, it has always been an anomaly due to the swamps that isolate it from the mainland. There's a river to the west called Ravena, which splits and supplies water to this part of the land," Bruno began his explanation.

"I've heard that name before," Viki interjected.

The boy continued, his voice filled with intrigue. "You see... Blackrock's relationship with the rest of Hanza was relatively harmonious until Princess Valeria became pregnant. She was the sister of the current king, Gerhard, who had only recently ascended to the throne. They belong to the Werner dynasty."

"The pregnancy was the problem?" Viki questioned, seeking clarification. Her eyebrows frowned, showing confusion.

"Yes. You may not fully comprehend it, but for nobles, lineage holds immense importance. And the prince's lover happened to be a peasant—a highly esteemed and respected one, but still a peasant named Hugo Wagner," Bruno explained.

"The Pirate King?" Viki interjected with intrigue.

"At that time, he held the position of commander in the third fleet. Despite his humble upbringing, Hugo Wagner was a genius who never tasted defeat. He was the only man feared by Edward Samson himself. Wagner orchestrated the largest mutiny in history, persuading half of the kingdom's fleet to join him. They committed treason and spirited away the princess. Eventually, they joined forces with One-Eyed Shark," Bruno chuckled. "Quite an extraordinary feat, wouldn't you agree?"

"But what does all of this have to do with Blackrock?" Viki inquired, just as a flicker of light caught her attention in the distance.

Turning around, she witnessed an illuminated glow emanating from the buildings in the docks. Simultaneously, distant screams reached their ears, capturing Bruno's attention as well. Soon, another glow appeared from a slightly different direction, followed by a third, signaling the fulfillment of Nathan's request.

As the fires raged on, causing chaos and commotion, even from their relatively far vantage point, they could clearly hear the clamor of those fighting to quell the flames. Unbeknownst to them, Bruno's petards proved remarkably effective in their purpose.

"She died during childbirth," Bruno answered, his gaze returning to the stars. "However, her daughter survived. The princess's survival holds great significance as King Gerhard, unable to father children, has no direct heir. According to the law, she is next in line for the throne. But only the Pirate King knows her whereabouts, and I wager that he will bring her back to assume control of the kingdom when King Gerhard breathes his last."

"It's like the children's stories my mom used to tell me," Viki mused, her eyes fixed on the flickering lights. "From rags to riches."

Finally, she turned away, her words trailing off as she completed her thought.

"Yeah," Bruno agreed, his voice resonating with understanding. "Exactly that. For people like us, it might be inspiring, but for the nobles, it's considered a disgrace. That's why the Hanza is in constant conflict with the pirates, and that brings me to the 'Blue Whale,' a ship commanded by Billy 'The Razor' Fisher—the man behind Nathan."

Viki listened attentively, absorbing the details. Curiosity filled her eyes as she asked, "So what now? Are you going to talk to that man?"

"There's no way for me to have a conversation with Fisher, V. However, if my product proves effective, I'm certain he will hear of me. I just hope it happens before Nathan plunges us into irreparable trouble," Bruno replied, his tone laced with a mixture of hope and concern.

"And then what?" Viki inquired, her voice tinged with anticipation.

Bruno shrugged, an air of uncertainty surrounding him. "I'm not sure. I have no insight into the relationship between those two, but if I were to speculate, I'd say we will have a discussion about the potential consequences of Nathan's actions. Perhaps we'll even devise a plan to resolve matters. If not, I'll have to find a way to leave this city."

A moment of silence settled between them, the weight of their circumstances hanging in the air.

"Let's head back," Bruno finally broke the silence, rising to his feet. "It might become dangerous."

The glow from the burning buildings provided enough light for the boy to notice the sadness and concern etched on Viki's face.

"Everything will be fine," he reassured her, a touch of conviction in his voice. "Even if I have to leave the city, it doesn't mean we won't see each other when I become wealthy."

His words brought a faint smile to her lips, a glimmer of hope shining in her eyes.

"You promised me a lot of money," she reminded him.

"And you will have it all," Bruno declared, determination radiating from him. "You will have it all..."

47