28. Inside The Blue Whale
811 0 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Viki sat on a chair positioned before a desk, facing none other than Billy 'The Razor' Fisher. The pirate swung back and forth on his chair, his legs nonchalantly resting upon the desktop. Illuminated by the soft light streaming through the cabin's windows, every intricate detail of his attire was visible, but it was his constantly twirling mustache that captured the girl's attention.

A slight unease tinged her emotions, amplified by the silent figure standing to her right. This man, armed to the teeth with an arsenal of knives, remained wordless, his gaze fixed on her as she waited for the captain's arrival. Now, he was here, ready to listen to what she had to say.

"Interesting. So you really believe he didn't poison Nathan and also did not run away?" Billy's voice resonated through the room.

"He warned Nathan about the consequences of mishandling the poison. There were other children who fell seriously ill, but Nathan's condition was the worst," Viki replied.

"My sources said that the mixture Bruno prepared for Nathan couldn't have been so potent. He had to be poisoned. Moreover, they found evidence in his room," Billy countered, his fingers still twirling his mustache.

"Bruno isn't so dumb to leave evidence behind if he were truly responsible. Besides, he wouldn't have left this." Viki produced a ring from her finger and presented it to the pirate.

The jewelry piece, discovered by Viki outside the alchemy guild's main shop, was made of iron, adorned with a single cracked amber tear. Bathed in the sunlight filtering through the window, it shimmered and gleamed. Over time, the constant rubbing had polished it, replacing her previous habit of tossing the coin since the silver, copper nor iron held the same comforting sensation as the golden galley.

Billy promptly withdrew his legs from the desktop, leaning forward to examine the piece of jewelry in greater detail. Eventually, he couldn't resist the urge and took hold of the trinket with his fingers, inspecting it further.

"A ring?" he inquired. "I've never seen Bruno wear this."

"That's because he bought it for me," Viki explained, a blush staining her cheeks almost instantaneously.

"For you? Were the two of you involved in some way?" Billy's curiosity prompted the question raising his eyebrows. A sugestive smile cruving his lips.

"N-no... I wanted it as a sort of payback..." Viki stammered, her voice trailing off. She could no longer look the man in the eyes, so she averted her gaze.

The pirate's initial snort transformed into a boisterous laugh, resonating through the room. He returned the ring to Viki, while still chuckling. It took a moment, but eventually, his laughter subsided. Viki endured the moment, feeling immensely embarrassed as her face flushed crimson.

"Listen, sweetheart... No matter what you believe, the evidence points to Bruno attempting to kill Nathan. I was informed they spoke to each other the night before it all began. By morning, my boy was already vomiting blood," Billy explained.

"But Bruno warned Nathan about the potential dangers of the poison!" Viki argued.

"He was also brewing poison in his own room," the pirate stated.

"Do you really believe he would be foolish enough to do that?" The girl pressed.

Billy sighed, weariness etched into his features. "What I believe doesn't matter. The evidence speaks for itself. Now, leave. I have more pressing matters to attend to. You have my blessing as the temporary leader of the gang, but once Nathan recovers, you must step down. Now, go."

Viki opened her mouth to respond but ultimately closed it, disappointment evident on her face. She turned away and left, the weight of the situation heavy upon her. Billy waited until the door behind her closed, the sound of her footsteps fading away.

"What do you think?" Fisher inquired, directing his gaze toward Marco.

The silent man simply shrugged his shoulders, offering no verbal response.

"You always do this to me when I need advice. You're a terrible friend, you know?" Billy muttered in mock frustration.

Marco tapped his temple with an index finger before extending his arm, palm upward, as if presenting a solution.

"Yeah... I also suspect there may be more to this. The boy wouldn't have been foolish enough to leave the evidence in plain sight. We'll have to investigate further," Billy sighed.

Meanwhile, Viki stepped off the deck of the Blue Whale. The cries of seagulls filled the air as they circled above the bustling docks, a familiar sound that had become ingrained in the area's ambiance. Raul awaited her, his arms crossed over his chest as he leaned against a stack of crates.

"How did it go?" he inquired, curiosity etched in his voice.

"Terrible," she explained, not slowing down for a moment. She passed by Raul, and he fell in step, joining her on a march to a destination known only to her.

"Where are we going?" The tall boy asked, his curiosity getting the better of him.

"If Billy doesn't want to help, then we'll have to search on our own," she replied determinedly.

"Do you think they'll let us? Besides, it's been quite some time..." Raul trailed off, expressing his doubts.

She abruptly halted and spun around, forcing him to freeze. Her eyes flashed with frustration. "Do you have a better plan?!" she snapped.

He shook his head. "No, I don't."

"Then we're going with mine," she declared, resuming her stride.

Raul rolled his eyes but obediently followed her. Choosing not to engage in her potential outburst, he remained silent until they finally arrived at the main building of the alchemists guild.

She entered, while Raul decided to wait outside. Inside, Orfeo was arranging bottles on the counter for a customer—an older woman adorned in a white headscarf and a flowing dark-brown dress. The customer seemed to have already paid, evidenced by a stack of coins resting on the wooden surface. Orfeo glanced at the girl briefly before refocusing his attention on the older woman.

"This is everything you requested," he smiled, quickly counting the coins by deftly plucking them from the pile. He then pushed the remaining coins back toward her. "It will be this much, with the usual discount."

The woman returned the smile, carefully stowing the coins back into her pouch. With a curt "Thank you," she departed.

Alone in the room, Orfeo turned to Viki. "What do you want?" he asked, a touch of impatience in his voice.

"I want to check Bruno's chambers," she asserted without hesitation.

"We've already searched them and found the evidence. There's nothing more for you to find there. Now, get out," the young man retorted.

"I'll decide that for myself.”

The man let out a weary sigh and shook his head, then emerged from behind the counter with determination. However, Viki stood her ground, refusing to budge an inch.

"Leave," he commanded decisively.

"Why? Because you have something to hide?" she challenged.

"No, because I'm telling you to," he replied, his grip firm as he grasped her shoulders. Without further ado, he turned her around and forcefully pushed her outside.

Stepping onto the bustling street, they got enveloped in a cacophony of shouting and the hum of ordinary conversations. For a fleeting moment, Viki contemplated whether she should try to fight back, but with numerous guards nearby, she knew it would likely end in disaster. So, she acquiesced, not resisting the young alchemist's push. He propelled her forward before shutting the door. As he did, he cast a brief glance at Raul, who stood outside with his arms crossed.

"No luck?" the boy inquired.

"No," Viki replied, regaining her balance and spitting on the ground. "Damn it!" Frustration seethed within her, prompting her to vent her anger by kicking the dirt.

"Now what?" Raul asked.

The girl remained silent, pondering, ‘What would Bruno do?’ She asked herself, and ideas began to form in her mind.

"Come with me," she swiftly decided.

Bruno wouldn't have given up, that much was certain. With her resolve solidifying, Viki led the way to the alley behind the main building, where Bruno's laboratory had once been. The workshop now lay shuttered, secured with a padlock hanging from a chain that prevented the gate from opening. She promptly inspected the lock upon arrival, retrieved tools hidden in her shoe, and attempted to pick it. Though she lacked her brother's expertise, she possessed enough knowledge to make progress. It took her some time, but with Raul dutifully keeping watch, she persevered.

When the chain eventually slackened, she swung the gate open and stepped inside, paying no mind to stealth. She needed to let in some light. Although the space remained dim despite the wide-open doors, she was accustomed to shadows, and it sufficed for her inspection. A single glance revealed that the guild intended to continue producing 'Fix.' Ingredients were stockpiled, and additional equipment was present.

Under her breath, she cursed and delved deeper into the laboratory, meticulously examining everything Bruno had worked with. She scoured every corner but found no trace. If he had concocted poison or anything other than 'Fix' there, he had disposed of all evidence.

"Damn it," she muttered, frustration etched across her face. Exiting the premises, she closed and relocked the gate.

"Did you find anything?" Raul asked, still waiting patiently.

"Just that those assholes want to steal our 'Fix'," she replied.

"So no more money?" the tall boy sighed, clearly displeased by the outcome.

"No. On the contrary, there will be more money because there's no way in hell I'm letting them do that. I assisted Bruno with everything, and I won't lose it to a bunch of greedy liars. The pirate king's ship will sink before they steal what's rightfully mine," Viki asserted fiercely.

"So, what's the plan?" Raul inquired.

"Not here. Follow me," she beckoned, setting off towards the docks.

35