46. Secrets And The Angry Princess
659 0 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As days stretched on, Bruno maintained his vigilant stance, constantly on guard with a concealed weapon—his sharpened piece of wood hidden within his garments.

Initially, his tasks within the tower consisted of light chores. He diligently swept the cobblestone courtyard, meticulously cleaned the floors, and assisted in the transportation of supplies that arrived periodically. On occasion, he carried the provisions to the basement, while other times they were delivered directly to the bustling kitchen.

Gradually, his responsibilities expanded, and he found himself aiding Hadiza in the arduous task of vegetable peeling. Something he was very skilled at, thanks to all the experience gained as a small boy working for Miss Sloan. This duty fell to him whenever the other maids were absent, as they, unlike him and the head maid, resided outside the tower, nestled within the city's embrace.

However, the dynamics shifted as more days elapsed, and the princess began to take notice of Bruno. She summoned him to her chambers, requesting his presence for entertainment or assistance in brushing her luxurious locks. The young alchemist hesitated, torn between his desire to minimize his interactions with her and the reality that he lacked the freedom to decline her demands, even if he fervently wished otherwise.

"What about you? What is your story?" Hallel asked one day as he combed her hair.

"Me? I'm just a peasant boy who was sold as a slave for money," he replied, attempting to cut the conversation short.

Her gaze remained fixed on his reflection in the mirror as he carefully and methodically moved his hands. Bruno, in contrast to the princess, focused intently on his task, avoiding her eyes.

"But who sold you?" she persisted.

"Some sailor."

"Some sailor? How did that happen?" Her surprise was evident.

He found her persistent questioning quite vexing, but there was little he could do to escape it.

"I was kidnapped," he replied curtly, opting for the shortest possible answer.

Desperately wanting to end the conversation, the young alchemist increased the pace of brushing the princess's hair. Though she seemed oblivious to the change, her attention remained fixed on him and the intriguing story he held.

"You were kidnapped by some sailor? Why did he kidnap you? And why didn't you fight back?"

"I was poisoned," he explained tersely, hoping to provide the least amount of information possible.

"By who? By the 'some' sailor?" Her eyebrows arched slightly.

"By the man who gave me to him," Bruno responded, finishing with the last strand of hair. He quickly placed the comb on the desk before her and bowed slightly. "I am finished, Princess. Forgive me, but there are tasks assigned to me by Vere."

Before she could utter a word, he turned and swiftly exited through the nearby door.

"Hey! Come back this instant!" the princess shouted after him.

Ignoring her, Bruno rushed down the stairs and out of the tower, beginning to sweep the surrounding area. Not because it was his assigned task—his previous statement had been a lie—but primarily to distance himself from the inquisitive girl.

He avoided her for the remainder of the day, even skipping his visit to the kitchen for a meal. He busied himself with various tasks, ensuring he remained occupied and offering the princess no opportunity to summon him again.

Unfortunately, the very next day, he found himself in an identical situation as she once again compelled him to brush her hair.

"If you run away from me, like yesterday, I'm going to have you flogged," she informed him sternly, settling into the chair before the large mirror on the desk.

"I had work, Princess," he promptly replied.

"Take the comb and stop lying," she warned him, her expression serious.

Without further discussion, Bruno complied with her command.

"Now, tell me your story again," she demanded after a few strokes.

The boy didn't reply immediately, allowing himself a moment to consider his words.

"I told you yesterday, Princess," he eventually responded.

"No, you didn't. I warn you, slave, stop annoying me," she growled.

While she uttered those words, Bruno, with a strand of her hair in his hand, noticed something peculiar near her temple. There was a faint tattoo, barely visible—an arrangement of very small symbols that formed a word or even a sentence in a language he had never encountered before.

He had no idea what it was, but it could very well be an opportunity to divert the conversation.

"You have something in your hair, Princess, right here," he said, touching lightly the tattoo.

"Where?" she asked, tilting her head and causing him to release the strand of hair he held.

She examined the indicated spot with curiosity, but it seemed like she couldn't see anything, as she eventually confirmed.

"I don't see anything."

"Here, Princess," he showed her again.

She continued inspecting the area, even moving her hair, but from her behavior, it was clear that she couldn't locate it, despite its proximity.

"Are you lying to me, slave? Do you really want to be flogged?!" she shouted.

"I'm telling the truth, Princess. It's right here," he insisted, touching the writing again, this time with more pressure to ensure she wouldn't miss it.

A shiver ran through her body, and her expression momentarily turned blank.

"Get out!" she exploded. "Get out! OUT!"

Without thinking, he dashed out the door closing it behind him, only stopping on the other side. It was evident that whatever he had discovered was something of great importance. An unknown opportunity. Something he needed to remember if he wanted to survive. That much was as clear as day to the boy.

He descended the stairs slowly, no longer in a hurry now that the princess had stopped yelling. To avoid encountering Vere, he headed outside and once again grabbed the broom, determined to keep himself busy.

The task occupied his body, while his mind traveled somewhere else, focusing on the pieces of the puzzle he was able to collect so far. It was impossible to put them together, hinting that there was much more going on around than what met the eye.

38