53. Purpose, Obstacles And A Wish
626 0 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the following days, the boy's strength gradually returned, and the maid who had faithfully remained by his side finally departed. With a newfound vigor, he ventured into his small laboratory, only to find a pile of papers, brimming with notes. Mamun had presented him with a task far more complex than anything he had encountered before—a seemingly insurmountable mountain of challenges.

As Bruno sifted through the pages, he realized that whatever he had just embarked upon likely took decades to develop. The old man had vanished without a trace, leaving him with only fragments of information. When he inquired of the maids, they remained tight-lipped, refusing to divulge any further details. Rather than pressing for more, the young alchemist resolved to tackle his new assignment head-on.

The formula before him was intricate, composed of various components that needed to be meticulously combined. It involved a multitude of ingredients. Days turned into weeks as he delved deeper into the intricate details, gradually making sense of the wealth of information inscribed on the pages.

This time, however, he did not rush. The frenzied urgency that had driven him previously was absent. There was no proverbial carrot dangling before him, spurring him on like a madman. He still clung to his unfulfilled wish, constantly on his mind. Each night, before drifting off to sleep, he pondered how he could employ it to regain his freedom. The collar around his neck would send a tingling sensation through his body, a stark reminder of Mamun's command that prevented his escape.

All of these thoughts propelled Bruno toward the open door of the old man's laboratory. A few steps inside, he beheld Mamun himself, standing patiently, awaiting his arrival. One of the maids had been dispatched to retrieve him, tearing him away from his studies in the library.

"Have you figured it out?" the archmage inquired as he noticed the boy's presence.

"Not yet," the young alchemist confessed. "I need more time."

"As I expected. And have you made up your mind about your little wish?"

"Not yet," he repeated, a touch of frustration in his voice. "I need more time."

The old man nodded, gesturing for the boy to enter. The space appeared nearly identical to Bruno's recollection. Though there were minor alterations in the placement of small objects and slight modifications to the inscriptions on the blackboards, everything else remained unchanged.

"The project I had you working on is a part of my dream," Mamun explained after a brief pause. "I spent countless hours on the same task you are currently undertaking, with one small difference. I knew the purpose, and I want you to know it too."

The weight of Mamun's revelation hit Bruno with full force. His senses heightened, adrenaline coursing through his veins. The impending words held tremendous significance.

"When I returned from Harothep," Mamun continued, "the father of our current ruler, Akhenaten,  approached me with a request—to develop a means of resisting magic. He sought to diminish the influence of mages in battles, hoping it would weaken Harothep's hold on the region. However, I failed in that endeavor, primarily for two reasons. First, I had my own research to pursue. And second, I stumbled upon something entirely different, something far more captivating. You see... I set out to create a potion that would enhance resistance to magic, but instead, I inadvertently developed a potion that seemed to briefly amplify a person's magical potential. I pursued this unexpected discovery and devised a process that could transform ordinary individuals into mages. Now, a few years later, I can turn peasants into wielders of power."

A proud smile graced the archmage's lips, radiating his sense of accomplishment.

"And that, my boy, is precisely what you are currently working on. I want you to refine it. I believe you can do it."

Bruno felt an urgent need to respond, to ensure his words conveyed the proper sentiments.

"That's... That's truly remarkable. This could alter the very balance of power in the world," he exclaimed, awe lacing his voice.

"Yes, indeed," Mamun affirmed, his response brief but laden with implication.

The boy's instincts told him that the old man had his own intentions for the formula, plans beyond what had been revealed.

"I would be honored to assist," Bruno swiftly added, his mind racing to comprehend the depths of the archmage's motives.

"Now that you know the purpose, you can channel your efforts more effectively," Mamun stated, his gaze steady. "But there is something else I wish to share with you—the original reason for your presence here." As he spoke, the archmage pointed towards the stretcher encircled by pillars.

"I intended to employ you in my research on the formula. It does work to some extent, but its effects are not as optimal as I desire. I thought it would take a long time to prepare you first, but you came to me more than ready to become my assistant."

These words connected various puzzle pieces in Bruno's mind, forming a larger picture.

"What about the side effects?" he inquired, eager to fill in another crucial piece of the puzzle.

"You will discover the answers as you study all the notes I have provided. While there may be minor challenges, the primary issue lies in the overall effectiveness of the process. I want you to strive for improvement," Mamun explained.

Bruno hesitated for a moment before posing his question. "And then, should I test it on myself?" he asked, his words laced with curiosity.

The archmage chuckled briefly in response. "Yes," he affirmed.

"Why?" Bruno pressed, seeking understanding.

"Although you weren't brought here for this purpose, you are a perfect candidate," Mamun shrugged dismissively.

"No, I mean, why make me do it when you already possess greater knowledge about the formula? I'm inexperienced and far less knowledgeable compared to you, Archmage," the young alchemist clarified, expressing his doubts.

"I mentioned that there were two reasons why I abandoned the research commissioned by the former ruler of this kingdom, didn't I?" Mamun remarked. "I have my own ongoing research that allowed me to graduate from Harothep, and I prefer to focus on that. Besides... you bring a fresh perspective. You perceive things differently from me and employ alternative methods to achieve your goals. This project may benefit from that."

Slowly nodding, Bruno's mind swirled with thoughts, overwhelmed by chaos. His brain struggled to sort and connect the fragments, arranging them in a way that would pave the path to his ultimate goal—freedom.

"I will give it my best effort," he reassured, breaking the silence that followed.

"You have no other choice," Mamun stated matter-of-factly. "You may go now. And when you finally conceive your 'little wish,' find me," he added with a smile, dismissing the boy with a wave of his hand.

Bruno promptly left, seeking solace in his laboratory. The storm within his mind gradually subsided, allowing him to utilize the partially arranged pieces of information.

‘Freedom. How do I achieve it?’ he contemplated, the conscious thought triggering a tingling sensation in his neck from the accursed collar.

That oppressive item loomed as the foremost and most formidable obstacle. It seemed insurmountable, but if somehow he could remove it and rid himself of the archmage's presence, a pathway to freedom might emerge.

"But what then?" Bruno asked himself, grappling with the dilemma before him.

This city was not his home, and there seemed to be no refuge where he could hide. Even if he managed to find a hiding place, it would only be a matter of time before someone as powerful as Mamun discovered him. True freedom lay beyond the reach of the old man's influence, and the only place the boy could envision was the vast expanse of the sea—where the lawless pirates held sway.

Trapped within the confines of the estate, burdened by the collar on his neck and the watchful eyes of the old man and the maids, Bruno found himself unable to solve the conundrum of escaping from Meshek.

As the issue flitted across his mind, a solution emerged alongside it. The answer was delegation—to enlist someone else to overcome the obstacle on his behalf, just as the archmage had done to him moments ago.

"How do I do that?" Bruno pondered aloud, his gaze fixed upon the notes stacked on the table amidst the alchemical equipment.

In a fleeting moment, the answer to his own question materialized. Stepping out of the room, he noticed that the laboratory door remained ajar, and Mamun still lingered within.

The old man nonchalantly gathered some items, but upon seeing Bruno's return, he directed his attention toward the boy.

"I thought you might come back," the old man remarked. "Let me guess, you've figured out what you want from me."

"Yes," Bruno affirmed, reentering the laboratory. "To address the challenges you imposed upon me, I need to think properly."

"I'm listening," Mamun's complete attention shifted to the boy. He even set aside the trinkets he had been holding.

"I've noticed that physical activity stimulates my mind. While I could exercise here to achieve that, I also have my wish, and I thought I might use it. In The Hole, I grew fond of training, so I wish to continue it here, in the garden outside," Bruno boldly proposed.

A smile crept onto the old man's face, entertained by the boy's audacity.

"If you are thinking about escape, let me warn you that it is a game of life and death. The collar will kill you," Mamun cautioned.

"I am aware," the young alchemist acknowledged.

"Have you devised a plan?" curiosity etched itself onto Mamun's face, his raised eyebrows betraying interest.

"Not precisely. Mere thoughts triggered a tingling sensation in my neck from the collar," Bruno confessed.

"Thoughts are harmless, but should they transform into determination... the collar will claim your life. Therefore, for your sake and mine, I implore you not to repeat that mistake," Mamun advised.

Bruno nodded solemnly.

"I hope that by completing the given task and when you no longer have any need for me... perhaps then I might regain my freedom," he expressed his aspirations.

"Perhaps," the old man echoed, nodding in agreement.

"To accomplish that and change my environment, I wish to train. My former teacher was exceptional, so I propose seeking his guidance. Unless, of course, that would be too much for you... Master," the last word almost got stuck in Bruno's throat, as he mustered the audacity to employ it as a ploy to attain his desires.

"Do not test me, boy," Mamun warned, his countenance momentarily consumed by shadows of anger. But it swiftly dissolved into a smile once again.

"I shall grant you that wish. Now, leave. I am occupied, and you ought to be as well," he directed, waving his hand dismissively, urging Bruno to depart.

32