60. Search For A Path To Freedom
551 1 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The initial days of Bruno's transformation were excruciating. He endured constant pain, frequently losing focus as his mind blinked in and out of awareness.

With fragmented memories and teachings, it became increasingly challenging for him to grasp the underlying logic. Compounded by the archmage's rushed approach and the overwhelming deluge of knowledge, the learning process became an arduous struggle. Nevertheless, Mamun remained resolute, insisting on pressing forward. This left Bruno frantically taking meticulous notes, hoping to glean understanding from them at a later time.

Engaging in physical training proved nearly impossible, but the young alchemist persevered. It was the only escape he had from the confines of the laboratory. However, the exercises had to be shortened and simplified, as anything more demanding would have been beyond his capabilities.

Despite the obvious changes manifesting within him, Mamadou and Javohir refrained from asking questions. They understood their comrade’s position and continued their work as if everything were status quo.

As the days elapsed, Bruno's condition gradually improved. He regained a semblance of normality, allowing him to resume his daily activities at a moderate pace. The once-scaled-down endeavors returned to their former level of intensity. This newfound respite enabled the boy to catch up on his magical studies, bridging the gap he had previously fallen behind.

He grasped the fundamental principles with relative ease and soon advanced enough to engage in limited practice. Through these exercises, he developed a discerning understanding of the disparity between his own abilities and those of the old man.

It was late in the evening when Bruno departed from the library, making his way back to his room to conclude the day. During this short journey, his ears caught a peculiar sound emanating from Mamun's underground chamber. It was a combination of furniture scraping against the floor, accompanied by faint moans.

It was obvious that the old man was once again fucking one of the maids in the confinements of his office.

In the past, Bruno would have ignored such sporadic events, but now it presented a genuine opportunity. It meant that both the archmage and the maid were occupied, offering him a chance to act without their interference.

This opportunity was precisely what he needed because, while analyzing the enchantment on his collar, he had come to the disheartening conclusion that he couldn't deactivate or alter the magic within it. The vivid memory of the massive crystal brimming with pulsating energy, adorned with metal collars suspended from its sharp points and surrounded by cryptic inscriptions etched into the floor, lingered in his mind.

If he were to shatter the crystal, the spell would likely break, but accomplishing that feat necessitated entering the laboratory. Alternatively, he contemplated utilizing the pillars encircling the stretcher, the barrier which was actively blocking external magic sources. If he could sever the connection between the collar and the stone, theoretically, Bruno would be able to remove the accursed device. However, doing so required gaining access to the chamber.

Without hesitation, he approached the weighty door leading to Mamun's laboratory. Though closed, he hadn't entertained the notion of venturing inside. His intention was merely to assess the protective spells guarding the entrance.

Observing the lock and keyhole, he didn't invest much attention in the mechanical protection, confident he could overcome it. The true obstacle lay in the realm of magic—a monumental challenge.

Placing his hand over the silver symbols, he closed his eyes, focusing intently to sense the power. It took him a moment, as he lacked experience, but eventually, he felt it and traced the intricate invisible threads forming complex symbols.

After a brief analysis, he concluded that the enchantment was astonishingly intricate. Concentrating once more, he committed the intricate pattern to his memory, a visual representation he could recall.

Just in time, he withdrew, as the weary couple emerged from the underground chamber, making their way to the upper part of the estate. He was able to present himself to them in a way, that looked as if he just finished checking the ingredients stored outside of his laboratory, then headed to his chamber as if he didn’t even spot the two.

Lying in his bed, his gaze fixed upon the radiant crystal affixed to the wall, Bruno meticulously examined the mental structures he had memorized. Hours passed as he scrutinized every detail, ultimately arriving at a disheartening yet straightforward conclusion. The odds of him opening that door were incredibly slim, bordering on the impossible.

It became apparent that his focus must return to the collar. He concentrated, running his hand over his neck, attempting to discern the intricacies of the magic within. Comparing it to the mental image he had formed, he searched for any missed details during his previous analysis, but to his dismay, he found no apparent differences.

"Damn it," he whispered to himself.

It was a disheartening revelation, yet insufficient to sway him from his determination. The collar continued to send tingling sensations through his neck, an uncomfortable reminder of the confinement he endured. Undeterred, Bruno fixated on the mental image of the enchantment, analyzing it repeatedly, searching for any potential vulnerabilities. However, to his limited knowledge of magic, no such openings presented themselves.

After several hours, he finally conceded and decided to bide his time, awaiting the opportunity to acquire further knowledge. Before doing so, he made a resolution to focus on what he could presently accomplish—finding a way to unlock the physical mechanism on the laboratory door, a task within his current capabilities.

His first step would involve conversing with Mamadou about padlocks and acquiring lockpicks for training purposes. Starting with simpler locks and gradually progressing to more intricate ones, he aimed to master the art of picking locks.

In such a way he formulated a plan of action, which would, at least partially, bring him closer to obtaining freedom. He did it cautiously, to make sure he wouldn’t overstep the boundaries of the magic which could kill him, emanating from the collar.

Only then, with his mind finally at ease, did Bruno allow himself to drift into the realm of dreams.

31