77. A Ship To Sah’mat
466 1 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The interior of the barrel was cramped and engulfed in darkness. Bruno found solace in the fact that Mamadou and Javohir were enduring the same discomfort. The cart they were all on came to an abrupt halt. Vere swiftly dismounted, securing the horses to a hitching post.

The early morning sun, coupled with the sea's reflection, annoyed Vere's eyes, but the refreshing breeze battled the heat, especially when it caressed his face. The soothing symphony of crashing waves and rustling winds acted as a shield against the bustling noises of the busy harbor.

The docks bustled with people engrossed in their routine work. Guards patrolled diligently, while shady figures associated with the underground slinked around, searching for something. The tall man recognized a few faces but paid them no mind, directing his focus toward one of the ships belonging to the royal family.

It was the 'Grey Seagull,' a Corvette tasked with patrolling the harbor and safeguarding merchant vessels along the kingdom of Exalos' coastline. Tuning out the surroundings, Vere made a beeline for the gangplank, aiming to board the ship. Curiosity sparked among onlookers, but no one dared to impede his progress, not even the guards. And just like that, he stepped onto the deck.

"Vere?" a voice called out.

The tall man turned, spotting the captain. The man stood at an average height, dressed in a dark coat over a beige shirt, a grey vest, brown pants, and high boots. Numerous medals adorned his chest, indicating his rank. His light brown skin contrasted against his jet-black eyes. A cleanly shaven face revealed a few scars tracing his chin. Although his hair was concealed beneath his captain's hat, Vere knew it was black.

"Captain Adir," the tall man responded.

"What brings you here? Shouldn't you be with the princess?" Captain Adir inquired, subtly emphasizing the word 'be' as his eyes scanned their surroundings. "The city has become dangerous with the recent arsons."

He placed extra emphasis on the word 'arson,' indicating his awareness of the truth.

"I have three barrels of wine that require transportation to the capital. A request arrived this morning. While I understand that a merchant's vessel could handle this task, I know you are departing today, heading for the capital. I thought you could do me this favor and spare me the trouble of dealing with those coin-chasers," Vere explained.

The captain sighed heavily, a flicker of suspicion crossing his features. "I'll take them, just go back to the princess. Dangerous times..." he reiterated.

"I know," the tall man replied, his expression inscrutable.

With a whistle and a wave, Captain Adir summoned a few deckhands, directing them to follow Vere. He then led the four of them back to his cart and assisted them in unloading the barrels, which were eventually stowed below deck. Afterward, he departed, making a mental note of the supplies being loaded onto the ships.

His eyes fixed on a sizable pile of crates and barrels, an indication of the hours it would take to transfer the cargo onto the vessel. Sneaking the princess out of her confines, boarding the ship, and forcing Captain Adir into a difficult decision were the remaining tasks at hand.

For Bruno and the others, this was the most arduous part. Hours would be spent in uncomfortable positions, shrouded in complete darkness, constrained to silence. They could do nothing if things went wrong, as they wouldn't even be aware of it.

For the young alchemist, relinquishing control to another and waiting in uncertainty were agonizing notions. Yet, it was the best strategy—a bet with the highest chance of success and granting him what he desired. Reciting "The young miner Frank swung his pickaxe, clang, clang, clang..." in his mind, he struggled to maintain focus amidst the trying circumstances.

Meanwhile, Vere retraced his steps back to the tower. Their window of opportunity was slim, as the ship's departure loomed. They had to push for the last possible moment to exert enough pressure on Captain Adir.

In the kitchen, the plump woman sat on a small stool beside a large, closed chest. Its outward appearance seemed plain, but its contents held the utmost importance in the kingdom at that very moment.

"Is everything ready?" Vere inquired, his voice steady.

"She will sleep for hours," Hadiza reassured. "She didn't expect anything, so there might be a little bit of a tantrum after she wakes up. I'll deal with it. I also made sure that it was comfortable enough inside."

"Good. Let's go," Vere replied, wasting no time. With ease, he lifted the chest and descended the stairs. As he loaded it onto the cart, the guards watched curiously from their posts, unable to muster the courage to inquire. After all, the tall man was in charge of the tower.

Without regard for their curiosity, Vere leaped back onto the cart and assisted Hadiza in joining him at the front. They set off in complete silence, their departure smooth and uneventful.

"Let's pray the gods will be on our side," the head maid uttered.

Vere remained silent, focused on steering the horses as if there were no need for haste.

"And hope that the idiots guarding the tower won't go inside too quickly," she added.

Again, her words were met with silence. From that point on, they both remained quiet as they made their way through the city, headed for the docks.

Upon arrival, the 'Grey Seagull' appeared to be nearly ready to set sail. The pile of supplies, housed in crates and barrels, was almost entirely loaded onto the ship, with only a few remaining.

Vere hopped off the cart and secured the horses to a hitching post, mirroring his earlier actions. He then assisted Hadiza in alighting. The final task was to retrieve the chest. Together, they made their way toward the gangplank, but their path was obstructed by Captain Adir.

"What are you doing here again?" he asked, his confusion barely masked. There was a tinge of outrage in his voice.

"I need to get on the ship. It's important. I'll tell you everything in your cabin," Vere stated.

Initially skeptical, the sailor appeared ready to protest. However, the resolute expressions on the tall man’s and Hadiza's faces swayed him. He nodded, allowing them to board the ship. To his surprise, Vere carried the chest all the way to the captain's chambers, where he finally set it down.

The cabin was rather cramped, centered around a table securely fastened to the floor. Maps, papers, and a single gleaming crystal encased in metal adorned the surface, providing additional illumination. A closed window with wooden shutters stood behind it. In the corner on the left, a single bed occupied the space, accompanied by a small cabinet. On the right, a rack held several sabers, and a couple of chairs completed the modest furnishings.

The captain selected two of those chairs and placed them at the table, motioning for Vere to take a seat. He complied, and Adir joined him without hesitation.

"What is going on?" the captain inquired, cutting straight to the chase.

"I have some intel about a coup brewing in the kingdom," Vere revealed. "That's why almost all the heirs to the throne were killed. I brought Princess Hallel with me, in the chest, to avoid anybody seeing her. We need to get her to the capital safely before they can reach her here in Mashek."

Captain Adir's eyes widened in disbelief. "That's... That's stupid. I can't risk taking the princess to Sah'mat on this ship. There are pirates everywhere! The army is coming. They will escort her by land," he argued.

"No. They won't. And the princess will be safe on the ship as long as nobody knows she is here. The pirates, if they don't know, will ignore this vessel, and we will be able to reach the capital safely with her. I've already done my part to keep it a secret. Now it's all up to you," Vere explained confidently.

"Vere... You are insane," the captain replied, shaking his head.

"As we speak, time is passing, and we could already be at sea, making our way to Sah'mat. If we let the princess be escorted by the army, she will be killed or kidnapped," Vere asserted with a straight face. "The only way is through the sea, away from the traitors. At land… They even bested the royal guards."

"As far as I know, you could be a traitor," Adir pointed out.

"I have served the king for years. and I have protected the princess for an even longer time. Why would I betray them now? Ask yourself this question, and then make up your mind," Vere stated firmly, not giving the captain a chance to respond. He abruptly left the room, leaving the chest with the princess securely tucked away in the captain's quarters.

Alone, Adir's attention shifted to the chest. He gazed at it for a moment before finally approaching and opening the lid. Inside, nestled in an embryonic position with her head resting comfortably on a pillow, lay Princess Hallel. She looked stunning, adorned in a sea-blue dress that contrasted beautifully with her light brown skin.

The view was enough for the captain to make a decision. He carefully lifted the girl out of the chest and carried her to his bed, where he gently laid her down. With a newfound determination, he left the room.

"Men!" he called out, projecting his voice to capture the attention of everyone on the deck. "Weigh the anchor! Stand by to make sail! Lay aloft and loose topgallants! Clear away the jib! We are leaving for Sah'mat." His authoritative words reverberated through the air, solidifying their course of action.

27