B II, ch 18. Shinrou Rokuro, Thyme And Milo
228 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A man in his thirties sat on the ground before a small table, surrounded by an air of tranquility. He was quite handsome. His long black hair cascaded over his left shoulder, adding to his allure. Dark brown eyes, sharp and focused, were fixated on a kettle and a small bowl placed before him. Within that very bowl, a light green beverage emitted captivating steam. Clad in a dark kimono that blended seamlessly with the shadows, he was accompanied by a black wolf on his left and a silver one on his right.

The room was intimate, adorned solely with decorative scrolls adding charm to the walls, the modest table, and the man himself with his loyal animal companions.

Suddenly, a figure materialized behind a translucent paper wall, positioned directly in front of him.

"Captain," the unknown person spoke, causing the beasts to lift their heads.

"Yes," the man responded, his deep voice carrying an air of authority.

The door slid open, revealing a soldier in a dark uniform with a sword strapped to his belt. "I have been tasked with delivering a message," he informed, his tone respectful.

"What message?" the captain inquired, reaching for the small bowl to take a sip of his steaming tea.

A slight groan escaped his lips as he set the bowl back down—it was still too hot to drink.

The soldier entered the cramped room, promptly dropping to one knee beside the table. From behind the fabric of his uniform, on the chest, he retrieved a scroll that had been discreetly tucked inside. Rising to his feet, he bowed respectfully before exiting, ensuring the door closed behind him.

The captain grasped the scroll, carefully unfurling it. His eyes swiftly scanned the intricate symbols etched upon the parchment.

"Damn it," he muttered, his frustration palpable.

Concealing the scroll, he rose from his seated position, then he urgently left the room with the still-steaming tea.

 


 

The forest on the other side of Gu-shan Mountain enveloped them in darkness. Thick carpets of deep green moss adorned the large boulders that frequently obstructed their path, remnants of past avalanches. Time had smoothed the rough edges, dressing them in lush garments woven from vibrant foliage.

The trees stood tall, adorned with leaves of the deepest emerald. Their trunks twisted and dressed in various types of lichen, casting an array of grays, reds, and greens into the mix. The forest floor was littered with decaying remnants of fallen branches and leaves, forming a damp mulch underfoot. Only faint shards of light filtered through the dense canopy, adding a hint of illumination to the otherwise somber atmosphere.

Birdsong and the gentle rustle of wind blended with the earthy scent, completing the immersive and mystical sensory experience that surrounded them.

After days of trekking, the children struggled to keep up. Whurel, on the other hand, seemed entirely unperturbed, his armor still worn since the journey began.

They eventually halted near a meandering stream that intersected their path. Yura eagerly rushed to the water's edge, dropping to her knees to quench her thirst. Yue-liang followed suit, their hands cupping the fresh, cold liquid as they savored each sip.

Even the stoic warrior couldn't resist the allure. He approached the murmuring stream, withdrawing a waterskin to replenish his supply.

"Unexpected sight," a voice broke the tranquility of the scene, capturing their attention.

The words came from an elderly man with a long white beard. Bald on top but with cascading hair down the sides, reaching beyond his shoulder blades. A large hooked nose adorned his face, accompanied by a warm smile. His attire resembled that of the poorest beggars, while a massive staff, mimicking a twisted tree root, rested in his grasp.

By his side sat a regal silver-haired wolf, sitting upright and vigilant, its yellow eyes fixed upon Yura.

"Heb Horemm sent us," Whurel immediately informed.

A tutting sound escaped the old man's mouth. "Why would he send you here? I am no longer a part of Harothep. It has been years since I left," he replied.

"I am aware," the warrior responded. "I only seek passage through here, and I know it is impossible without your aid. Heb mentioned you would lend a hand. I can compensate you if you wish. I have coin."

The old man chuckled. "And what would I do with your gold? Animals are not adept at trade," he pointed out.

"Woof!" the wolf barked loudly.

"Silence! You know nothing about the currency," the old man scolded his companion. „You haven’t even seen a single coin in your entire life, you rascal.”

"Woof!"

"No! It's not food! Stop being ridiculous, Milo!" he exclaimed, flinging one hand up in exasperation.

The wolf responded with a short growl before rising to its paws. With the deliberate aim, it lifted a single leg to relieve itself right next to the old man.

"Oh, not again!" the old man exclaimed, quickly stepping away and even smacking the leg of his trousers to get rid of the droplets that fell upon the fabric. After regaining his composure, he straightened his back and turned to address the man in red armor and his two companions. "I'll help you. Come with me."

Without hesitation, he began to walk, his pace determined.

"Thank you," Whurel expressed his gratitude as he followed.

The children hesitated for a moment, but Milo's bark urged them forward. Yue-liang grabbed Yura's arm, pulling her closer. The wolf moved right behind the group.

"So, where is it that you actually wish to go from here?" the old man inquired, pausing briefly to turn around. "Oh, and by the way, I am Thyme," he added, offering his name before resuming his stride.

"That's not the name Heb Horemm gave me," Whurel pointed out.

"But that is the name you shall use," the grandpa cut him off, his tone firm.

"If that is what you want... And I am unsure of our destination," the red-clad warrior sighed. "The children need a few days of rest, and I have to contact Heb. We have a location in Idra we agreed upon as a meeting spot, so if anything, I can point at that place, but we might as well end up going through Morvalln if that path will be safer."

"In that case, I shall lead you to my sanctuary," the old man proclaimed, a hint of amusement in his voice.

"Woof", Milo interrupted his moment of joy rushing forward to walk beside the grandpa.

"Silence, you rascal! You know nothing", Thyme scolded his companion.

„Woof! Woof!” The beast argued.

„You have to be insane to think the kids will piss on the trees to mark your territory as their own!” The old man shouted, throwing his hands in the air, and almost dropping his staff.

„Woof!”

„No! Not all the kids do that! Humans are diffrent!” Thyme shook his head. „Forgive me,” his attention shifted back to Whurel, „this one is ridiculous to the core with his outrageous ideas… Anyway! In my sanctuary, you will be safe. You can rest there before moving forward. It’s been a while since I had guests, and a bit of socializing will do me good. Besides it might get this savage more civilised!” His eyes darted again to Milo, throwing daggers at him.

„Woof!”

„You and your nonsense,” Thyme shook his head.

Yura watched the conversation transpire with a smile on her lips. Yue-Liang, on the other hand, found it more strange than amusing.

12