B II, ch 24. Stupid Game
193 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A handful of laborers toiled diligently on the chimney of a massive stove, a crucial task that would soon enable Bruno to immerse himself fully in his alchemical endeavors. The rhythmic clatter of their tools echoed through the warehouse, where some workers were nearly done, while others were still in the throes of their work. Yet, this was just a fraction of the vast apparatus Bruno needed to assemble.

Within the warehouse, clay pots harbored samples eagerly awaiting experimentation. Outside, the symphony of men crafting wooden racks resonated, creating a faint hum that penetrated the building's walls.

Amidst this industrial ballet, Bruno stood at a cleared portion of a table, his alchemical equipment pushed away to make room for a game board, but also to serve as a barrier, sheltering him from the workers inside the workshop. He arranged figurines—a king and three footmen—on his side, contemplating the miniature battlefield. ‘This is what I have,’ he ruminated.

In a decisive move, he introduced the enemy king and strategically surrounded it with six footmen, two archers, a spy, and a lone cavalry piece. ‘And this is what he probably has. So... How do I win?’ Bruno posed the question to himself, locked in contemplation.

After pondering, he reached a grim realization. ‘I can't exchange pieces. Even if I take two for one, I'll lose. Not just the game, but them too.’ His gaze fixed on the three footmen figurines, a smile of recognition gracing his face.

‘I don't want to lose them. Friends... That's what they became. I could sacrifice Raul,’ he concluded, toppling the piece, ‘but Viki will never forgive me if I do, and Javohir will never trust me the way he does now.’ Resolute, he reinstated the piece beside his king, symbolizing himself. ‘So, what do I do?’

Surveying the opposing pieces, formidable in number and appearance, Bruno confronted the challenge. ‘If I can't exchange pieces, I can force a move, create a path.’ With determination, he manipulated the opponent's pieces, carving a direct route to the king.

Yet, a conundrum lingered. ‘How do I reach him? I can't. I need more resources.’ With a strategic flourish, he added three footmen to his side, envisioning support from hypothetical rebels. The game unfolded, moves and counter-moves in an intricate dance between him and Katyan.

Despite his efforts, Bruno's forces faltered against the well-supplied enemy. The three footmen valiantly introduced were soon casualties. Doubt crept in. ‘Is this the best I can do?’ His query hung in the air, unanswered, the game board a silent battlefield.

Just as contemplation settled into an uneasy silence, Javohir entered the warehouse. His eyes, immediately drawn to Bruno, observed the alchemist in deep thought. Approaching without a greeting, Javohir inquired, ‘What are you doing?’

This question jolted Bruno from his strategic musings. He glanced aside, acknowledging Javohir. "Thinking... at least trying to,” he explained, the strength of his voice diminishing as the mind shifted back to the strategizing.

"I thought you were playing this strange game of yours," the Exalonian pointed out, noting Bruno's intense stare at the board.

"I was playing. In a way… I wanted to kill some time, waiting for the work to be finished," he gestured toward the laborers engaged in constructing the chimney, their efforts slowly bringing the structure closer to completion.

The hole in the roof, a portal for the emerging chimney, was ready, but a few more bricks needed placement. Below, other workers meticulously applied clay to the dried sections of the construction, ensuring a seamless finish.

"I see," Javohir responded awkwardly, his eyes briefly shifting to the workers—uninvited witnesses to their conversation.

"It seems like you wanted to speak with me," Bruno astutely observed.

"Yes," the Exalonian confirmed.

"Then how about we speak over a game?" Bruno proposed, a taunting smirk playing on his lips.

Javohir considered the offer for a moment before nodding. "Why not?" he shrugged.

Bruno swiftly moved to the opposite side of the table, positioning the figures correctly on both sides of the game board. His were the unpainted ones, while Javohir received the charcoal-blackened set. "The white pieces always start, so I'll take them to show you how to move," Bruno explained, advancing a footman two squares forward.

"Now me? Like this?" Javohir asked, mimicking Bruno's move.

"Yes, like this," Bruno affirmed, moving his left spy diagonally behind the footman. "So, tell me… What brought you here?"

"I spoke with Viki. She told me what happened," the Exalonian revealed, again imitating Bruno's move. "She seems angry with you, but… Determined. Raul is pissed as well," he sighed.

Bruno chuckled, advancing the footman in front of the first knight one square forward. "What are you trying to say by this?"

Javohir didn't respond immediately. He cast a quick glance at the workers before pondering how to phrase his thoughts. "It… It appears that… You… You don't have a clear plan."

"Because I don't have one," the young alchemist admitted. "I have parts of it. I told you, we'll first deal with the farming. That I have figured out. Then we'll see what the other issues are and move from there."

The Exalonian smiled, locking eyes with Bruno and nodding in understanding. "Yes, you did say that."

"And you said you would go visit the mines to bring me up to speed with what is going on in there, which you haven't done. Look at Viki; she is already getting accustomed to the locals. At this time, what are you doing? Nothing. Aren't you ashamed of yourself?" Bruno's expression turned serious.

Javohir responded with a smile. "I'll go there as soon as I can find somebody to take me," he assured.

"Good, now make your move."

The Exalonian grabbed a piece and moved it. For a moment, they played in silence, but it quickly became evident that Bruno had the upper hand. Move by move, his advantage rose, to the point when Javohir sighed deeply.

"You were right. This game is stupid," he said. "I give up. And I’m going to look for a wagon to take me to the mines… But first, I’ll make sure Raul has something to practice."

"How is he doing?" Bruno stopped his friend by reaching over to the game board and grabbing his hand, bringing the young man to a halt.

"Good. Physically, he is a monster, but his skills are rusty. He packs a good punch, but I can take him easily with my throws and grappling, but… I’m not sure if I’ll be able to say the same in a month or two," he smiled.

"Good work," the young alchemist acknowledged.

Javohir nodded, accepting the compliment, then left. The young alchemist took a deep breath, briefly looking at the workers who were about to finish the chimney. He exhaled, and his eyes returned to the game board. He stared at it for a moment, examining the position of the pieces.

‘A stupid game, huh?’ he thought. A smile emerged on his lips. ‘Yes, a stupid game indeed.’ He knocked down all the standing pieces. Then his eyes moved to stare for a while at the alchemical equipment stored on the other half of the table. He ended up reaching into his pocket and pulling out the vial.

‘No… This won’t do…,’ he shook his head. Slowly, in his mind, a plan began to formulate.

8