B II, ch 35. The Rats From Ankhelis
134 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zor, the little town beneath the capital was abuzz with activity. Smoke billowed from the recently opened pottery workshop, veiling the otherwise azure sky. Sun rays managed to penetrate the haze, casting a gentle glow upon the workers as they toiled away, constructing a sizable structure that would soon house a blacksmith's workshop.

Groups dotted the settlement, each engaged in various tasks. Some labored to convert fallow land into fertile fields, while others busily felled trees from the nearby forest, transforming the timber into charcoal.

All seemed to be progressing smoothly when Bruno entered his laboratory to prepare another batch of his growth elixir. The room lay shrouded in darkness, but he swiftly remedied that by opening the window, requiring him to ascend a ladder. Stepping outside, he collected two buckets of water that had been prepared for him by an unknown helper.

As he emerged, the young alchemist caught sight of Javohir approaching from the inn. He briefly acknowledged his comrade before returning to the laboratory to pour the water into the cauldron resting atop the stove. Then he set about igniting the fire. The door creaked as the Exalonian entered.

"What did you want to discuss with me?" Bruno inquired, his attention divided between wrestling with the tinderbox and engaging in conversation.

"Brish. He won't let me visit the mines anymore, at least not until we prove that we can improve the lives of the miners," Javohir relayed, moving farther into the room to retrieve a chair for himself. „Maybe then he will change his mind.”

Bruno let out a heavy sigh. "It's a setback," he conceded, lowering his voice. "But it came later than I anticipated... I thought this man would pose problems long before we achieved any success here. For now, we'll have to accept it."

"Can't you find a way to change his mind? You always have a plan…"

The young alchemist paused momentarily, glancing over his shoulder at his companion seated a short distance away, before returning to his task. "Patience is crucial. You can't win every battle, Javohir. Sometimes you have to lose, so it's essential to choose your conflicts wisely, to lose only the meaningless ones, and to win the important battles. This particular skirmish may be lost, but it doesn't carry significant weight. We have sown the seeds of change. It will have to be enough for now. Although I would prefer if we got more..."

"So what am I supposed to do? Just sit and wait, like Raul?" the boy grumbled, his lips twisted with discontent.

"Do you remember what Mamadou taught us about the most important aspect of a fight?" Bruno deflected, shifting the conversation. Just as he spoke, the dry wood shavings finally emitted a wisp of smoke, prompting him to momentarily halt his speech and blow on them.

"To put yourself in an advantageous position, if possible, before you even begin," Javohir responded without hesitation. "Are you telling me that we need to create an advantageous position to move forward?"

Initially, the young alchemist remained silent, wholly engrossed in coaxing the flames to life. Once they roared to existence, he added a few broken twigs and glanced over his shoulder again.

"I'm suggesting that we were once lying on our backs in the sand. Now, we've managed to stand on our feet. However, we cannot afford to take reckless steps, as they may knock us down. We need to secure a stable food supply to make our name resonate on the lips of every peasant," he replied before returning to the fire to add thicker pieces of wood. „That will earn us some support. The situation is complicated,” Bruno sighed, finally able to focus his entire attention on his friend, which he did by approaching him. „Viki is finalizing the deal with the rebels. When we know what they can offer us, then we will know where we stand, and what moves we can afford to make. The situation might not be perfect, but it isn’t bad either.”

„You think it’s a good idea to send her alone?” Javohir raised his eyebrows.

„No. She was supposed to go with Raul,” he sighed. „I guess she wants to be a single mother of this child. I just hope she won’t get in trouble. That would be a major blow to us.” He said reaching to his temples to massage them with both hands. „But if everything goes right, we might be in a position to create our own opportunities.”

"I see,” a smile emerged on the lips of the Exalonian. „Then I’ll find myself something to do. You know where to find me if something changes," Javohir responded, standing up and promptly leaving.

Once outside, he noticed something peculiar. Two riders were engaged in a heated argument with the locals, near the stables. Their horses foaming at the mouth. Sweat drenched the entire length of the animal’s backs, causing them to glisten in the dim sunlight caused by the day slowly coming to an end.

Some workers hurried to fetch water for the beasts, while others scurried indoors after a brief conversation, leaving the riders outside. Javohir observed as they waited until two freshly equipped animals emerged guided by some men working at the stables, ready for departure. Without delay, the strangers mounted their steeds and hastened away.

Curiosity piqued, he decided to inquire about the commotion.

"Excuse me, sir!" he called out to one of the men as he approached. "What happened? Who were those people?"

"The rats from Ankhelis just attacked one of our forts. They came to inform the king and bring reinforcements," the man replied.

Before he could say more, Javohir abruptly turned on his heel, storming back towards the alchemical workshop.

"We have a problem!" he exclaimed loudly upon bursting through the door.

Bruno was already engrossed in measuring ingredients and preparing to add them to the cauldron suspended above the fire. His eyebrows furrowed upon hearing the news, causing him to abandon his work and approach his companion.

"Speak," he said curtly.

"Ankhelis attacked a fort in the south," Javohir reported. "Two riders just passed through town, heading to the capital to bring reinforcements."

Expecting a response to this news, he was met with silence as the young alchemist became lost in thought. By now, the Exalonian knew better than to interrupt Bruno during such moments, so he waited patiently.

"A blessing in disguise,” the young alchemist finally deemed. ”This was bound to happen sooner or later, but since it is happening now we should seize the opportunity. You've complained about not having anything to do, so..." A smirk played on the young alchemist's lips. "You will join those reinforcements. This will allow you to make Brish see you in a different light, as well as earn us some trust among the militia."

The boy's mouth fell open, his jaw locking in place as he absorbed the information. "B-but..." he stammered.

"You are the finest fighter among us. Raul may possess physical strength, but you possess the skills, the intellect, and the heart," Bruno said, pointing at Javohir's chest. "One day, you will lead my armies. It's time for you to gain some experience, to draw your first blood. Are you ready for it or not?"

"You've bested me before," the Exalonian argued. "And I'm not sure if I'm ready."

"Yes, I may have won in the past. I am quick to learn skills, and I can wield my mind as a weapon to improvise. However, you possess something else. You trained the longest with Mamadou. His teachings have become ingrained in you. You possess the experience. Right now, I would stand no chance against you in a serious fight. And as for being ready... You will never truly be ready." Bruno shook his head. "Taking someone's life may appear trivial, but it is not. You just have to do it. So... Will you go, or not?"

Javohir bit his lower lip, pondering deeply for a moment before slowly nodding.

"Good. Now... Fetch the blacksmith. We need to ensure you are prepared for your first battle," the young alchemist allowed a slight smile to grace his face.

 


 

The army arrived in the dead of night, rousing everyone from their slumber. They demanded food and shelter, some finding respite indoors while others pitched tents outside. After a hurried meal, they retired to rest, only to awaken early the next morning. Bruno and Javohir waited downstairs at the inn, knowing who commanded Katyan's forces.

Brish Navernaya descended the stairs leisurely, his gaze fixed on the two figures seated at a table. They savored freshly baked bread accompanied by scrambled eggs.

"We wish to help you," Bruno declared, dropping the wooden spoon he used to eat his meal.

"I don't need your help," came the retort.

"You're going to refuse two additional soldiers? I suppose those rats from Ankhelis must truly be the poorest bastards the world has ever seen if you reject two capable warriors willing to fight for you," the young alchemist taunted, a mischievous smirk playing on his slightly curved lips.

"You're just a bunch of kids who will only get in the way," the man rebuffed.

"This fine young man here," Bruno pointed at his companion, "was once a gladiator. He fought with his bare fists to survive. I bet he could knock you down in a bare-knuckle fight."

Brish's jaw moved as he frowned, taking the last one of the steps, and already glaring at Javohir. It was evident that he was considering the notion.

"We've even arranged for our own weapons and protection," the young alchemist added quickly.

As he spoke those words, Raul entered the inn, returning from outside. He donned a heavy jacket adorned with patches of raw leather sewn on top, his hands grasping an even weightier blacksmith's hammer.

"The other one is ready as well," Bruno announced upon seeing him, fighting to keep his mask up.

Sending Raul was a risk because Viki wasn’t there to witness that the tall young man was doing this according to his own free will. For the young alchemist, it was an unnecessary trouble, because if he got killed, the girl would never forgive him. Unfortunately, he didn’t have much to say.

"Fine. You two can go, but you must follow orders," Brish conceded before making his way outside, passing by Raul, who towered over him with a full head's height.

Javohir took a deep breath, locking eyes with Bruno before standing and following the man.

"Your weapon and armor are prepared," Raul informed him as they faced each other.

Then they both departed. Bruno waited a bit before trailing behind Outside he witnessed the town buzzing with activity as the soldiers readied for a swift departure. Some ate as they walked, while others were too occupied with gathering the tents and packing them back on the wagons with supplies and equipment.

Amidst the chaos, he spotted Javohir and Raul stationed near his workshop. The blacksmith, a burly bald man with an impressive belly, assisted the former gladiator with his new leather armor—a patchy jacket adorned with sturdy leather straps for added protection, almost identical to Raul’s.

He had also crafted a weapon for him—an upturned-blade scythe, its hastily reforged form leaning against the wall of the laboratory.

When everything was done, they both moved to join the soldiers. Bruno stood there, on the street observing them for a long time, until the whole army departed. Only then did he decide to head inside his workshop.

9