A Calamity’s Love: Epilogue
1.2k 7 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Merlin was sitting in his study. It has already been 11 days since the end of the war, since Iris’ death. Rius was currently locked up in the dungeon, however, his trial was going to be held at 2 in the afternoon. It was already 1;30pm. Merlin remembered that day as if it was yesterday. When Rius regained consciousness, it was a sight Merlin was never going to forget.

Bawling his eyes out, he cradled Iris’ limp body into his arms calling her name non-stop for who knows how long; It was a devastating sight to see. Merlin could not muster up the words to comfort Iris’ lover. When Rius’ voice was finally gone, mostly everyone had returned to where they came from; the gods and goddesses returned, after all, the Fallen God has been vanquished.

Tezu was mindful of Rius and took the demons back to their territory to handle their own affairs, after all, Rius was no longer a demon. When Gotoh came to, he realized what had happened.

It was King Aslan who issued the decree to capture Rius and have him tried for all of his crimes and reign of terror. Even if he was changed back to a human, it could not erase his past. Those who approached to seize Rius faced his stubbornness and absolute unwillingness to depart with Iris’ body. He’d even bare his fangs and physically fight back while trying to protect Iris’ body.

If they were going to seize him, they’d have to pry him off of Iris, or vice versa, but he would not let anyone touch her. Not being able to take anymore, Merlin casted a spell onto Rius and he fell asleep. Gotoh was also seized and taken in with Rius, however, he was released when it was revealed that he had no particularly large crime that could not be dismissed. Gotoh was just a walking corpse with no magic whatsoever. To put it simply, he was no threat to them. Although he was released, Gotoh refused to leave Rius alone until the end of the trial and the final verdict was given.

Iris’ body was cremated five days ago. When Gotoh informed Rius, he broke down once more. He didn’t even get the chance to see his wife one last time.

A knock came upon Merlin’s door. Jack opened the door and led the guest into the room. It was Gotoh. Excusing himself, Jack closed the door.

“Archmage Merlin Weiss,” Gotoh said in a respectful voice.

Merlin merely spared this walking corpse a glance. Merlin was one of the other main reasons as to why Gotoh was released. Iris had a connection to this walking corpse, one in which she entrusted Rius to him.

Gotoh said no more and walked up to Merlin, placing a crumpled letter onto his desk. 

“Your daughter, Iris, wanted me to give this to you before Rius’ trial if he ever had one,” he said. 

Gotoh respectfully bowed his head and left the study.

It was only after a long time did Merlin move to read the letter.

***

“GUILTY!”

“GUILTY!”

“GUILTY!”

All the judges of the council announced from their seats that was situated at the top of the seats looking down on Rius, who was bound with chains. His appearance was haggard and dull. There was no light in his eye. His love was no longer in this world. If he was given the death penalty, he would gladly accept it. There was no longer a reason for him to live.

“DEATH PENALTY! FORMER DEMON KING RIUS IS TO BE BEHEADED AT TOWNSQUARE FOR ALL TO SEE!”

Rius was willing to accept this fate. When he was moved to town square, he was placed on his knees. The executioner walked over to where Rius was and said some things to him but Rius blocked him out completely, ignoring everyone. With his right eye closed, he looked up to the blue sky. 

The executioner had yet to raise his ax to behead Rius when Merlin appeared.

“What’s the meaning on this?”

The rims around Merlin’s eyes were red, so was the tip of his nose. 

“The death penalty has been revoked,” said Merlin.

“Revoked?! How come they didn’t tell me anything?!” yelled the executioner.

All the bystanders looked around curiously. They were there to see the death of the former demon king, but now it looks like that was not going to happen… not with Merlin Weiss there.

“As the final request from the Hero of the Holy War, Rius Solece is to be banished from Yvaris, never to set foot on Yvaris soil ever again. That is her wish.”

“But-,”

Before the executioner could say any further, Merlin knocked the bottom of his staff on the pavement floor, sending a thunderous knock that sent shivers down their spines. Merlin’s mood was easy to decipher - he was not in the mood for anyone’s shit. If anyone went against him, he’d surely put them in their place, thus the executioner backed off.

It was clear to Merlin that Rius has completely given hope on life. With a heavy sigh, he used his magic and broke the chains on Rius. Rius languidly opened his right eye. Merlin could see how much his eyes resembled that of a dead fish.

“Return home,” Merlin said in a low and soft voice before casting a transportation spell.

Instantly, a light shined and Rius was gone.

“If anyone has any problems with this final verdict, you’ll have to go through me. I don’t care whether you’re a commoner, a noble or royalty; I’ll take anyone one on. This is the least I can do for her as her father.”

***

Noticing the air shifting around him, even with his eyes closed, he could feel the bothersome sun beam down on him. He was waiting for death to come… but why did he still felt like he was alive? When Iris reverted him back to a human, the small price he had to pay was losing his ability to ever use magic again, thus it was only natural that he could not feel the presence of mana at all.

When he finally opened his eye, he knew right away where he was. He was in the Forest of Dayle, right by the lake across the bridge from where their cottage was, where they had their wedding vows; the place where they became husband and wife. Listening to the chirping birds and insects, it was all too peaceful for him, all to lively for someone who should’ve died. Trudging his way across the bridge, he finally arrived on the little island where their cottage was situated.

Rius’ hand hovered over the handle on the door. He stood there for a long time, not willing to enter but not willing to leave either. This place was no longer a home, just an empty house in the middle of the lake within the forest. 

“Daddy?” a soft and childishly high-pitched voice sounded from behind him.

Rius’ body twitched and tensed up. Did he hear that right? Slowly turning around. He saw Maru, and holding Maru’s finger was a tiny human girl who looked no older than 4-5 years old. Her hair was as black as ink while her eyes were like purple iris gems, sparkling underneath the sunlight. She looked just like her. This human child looked just like Iris - she even had her mother’s eyes.

Rius’ mouth opened but the words got stuck at his throat as his right eye remained opened, gawking at the duo in disbelief.

The little human girl, Joy’s face brightened as she released Maru’s finger and ran over to her father, hugging his waist.

“Ahahaha Mommy was right! Daddy is finally home!” her sweet voice called out happily.

Rius looked up to Maru with shock. Maru answered his questions with a simple smile and nod.

“Ahaha, Daddy! Come!, I’ll show you your present from Mommy and me!” Joy said cheerfully as she took the dumbstruck man by his finger, dragging him into the cottage.

As soon as Rius entered the cottage, a wave of warmth and colors came rushing towards him. Inside the cottage were traces of what they’ve left for him; paintings and drawings. There were two kinds, one that was intricate and detailed, having the skills of a polished artist while the other had stick people drawn on their paper, which labeled, ‘Mom’, ‘Dad’ and ‘Me’. Around the room, Rius saw images of himself that was drawn; there were many portraits drawn of him in both his fake skin and real appearance.

Rius was ready to break down at this point.

“Maru! Bring Mommy’s cubes!” Joy said excitedly.

Maru brought over a basket that had what looked like many matte black cubes that had crevices in which dimly glowed with changing colors. The sizes of these cubes were no bigger than the size of a tennis ball. Each cube had dates written on them with a single sentence. Maru placed on on the ground and pressed the little button on the top. It triggered the cube, causing the cube to crack open and display a holographic screen recording.

It was something Iris was working on for the past five years, a recording device.

“Oh look! Rius! She’s finally walking!” 

Rius’ breath shook when he finally heard the voice he’s been longing to hear. His gaze was fixated on the holographic screen as well as to who was being displayed.

Her flaming red locks and radiant smile was all recorded. Her crescent-shaped eyes held laughter and joy as she picked up the tiny toddler into her arms, hugging her dearly.

“Iris-,” Rius choked back on his tears.

Suddenly, someone embraced his waist, he looked down at the tiny girl who had her mother’s bright smile.

“Hehe, that was Mommy’s surprise for you,” Joy smiled.

“Oh, Rius! I wish you could be here,” he heard Iris say. “Your daughter, Joy Solece, really takes after you! Being mischievously adorable at such a young age,” Iris laughed as she gently pinched the giggling toddler’s nose.

“Nguh-!” Rius’ voice cracked. “Ngh-!” Rius covered his eyes as his tears came flowing down endlessly.

Joy tilted her head to the side, “Daddy? Daddy, what’s wrong?”

Rius bent down and pulled his daughter into a warm embrace, holding her tenderly with his trembling arms. “Nothing. I’m just so happy to see you!”

Joy laughed, “me too!” and returned her father’s hug.

Maru then walked up to Rius’ side, his voice hesitating to speak. “When you left for the war, she found out she was pregnant. But she told me not to tell. She didn’t want you to worry… S-she-, Iris left these gifts for you-, as her parting gifts. Iris wanted to make sure that you did not miss a single thing these past five years. So she created these for you.”

“Mphm-! *wheeze*!” Rius choked back his voice as an endless stream of tears came flowing down.

***

Later that night, after Joy was tucked into bed. Rius stayed up, watching through all of the record cubes that Iris had left behind for him. As he watched through all of the recordings, he wanted to cry, but he found that he could no longer cry. Seeing her vibrant smile and hearing her melodious laughter made his heart ache unbearably.

Why was he even still alive?! Iris gave up her life for him to live! But his life was worthless compared to hers! Her life was worth more than his own! There was no longer a reason for him to live on…

“Mhm… Mommy loves Daddy very much~, hehe,” he heard a soft voice giggle.

Rius was pulled back to reality. He turned his head to look at the sleep-talking little bear.

That’s not right. Iris left him so much more than just these memories. She left him the greatest gift of all, their daughter. A sad smile made its way onto Rius’ face as he leaned down and gave a gentle kiss on the forehead. That’s right. He’s a father now. Even though Iris was no longer here, he still had Joy.

“Rius?”

He froze.

“Rius? Is that you? Hm, it’s you isn’t it?” the voice confirmed with a pleasant hum in her voice.

Rius turned around to look at the holographic screen, there he saw Iris. She was wearing a beige colored satin robe with her hair badly braided over to her left shoulder. 

“Ah, if you’re wondering about my hair, Joy said she wanted to try braiding my hair so I let her,” Iris laughed.

Unbeknownst to Rius, he was also smiling along with her.

“But if you’re seeing this, I’m probably dead.”

Rius’ smile stiffened as his heart clenched.

“I left this to recording to tell you three things. One, don’t be too hard on yourself. I made this decision. Two, be sure to look over our little bear. She’s quite mischievous and a troublemaker. But she’s still our adorable daughter,” Iris laughed. “And lastly, I want to let you know that I don’t regret it. I don’t regret exchanging my life for you. I guess that’s just how much I love you. Although it may have been extremely selfish on my part, for leaving you all alone after we made our vows-,” Iris’ voice suddenly shuddered as she wiped away her tears. “I just want you to remember that you’re loved. I love you, Rius,” she smiled happily with tears.

The holographic screen flickered before being sucked back into the cube and the cube closed. The recording was done. 

“Heh, that certainly was very selfish of you, Iris,” Rius let out a soft chuckle as he rested his forehead in his palms. He then looked up to see a portrait of Iris, Rius and Joy. It was signed by Iris. He smiled. “I love you too, Iris.”

As if he sensed something, he stood up, adjusted the blankets on his daughter then walked outside.

Standing underneath the star-filled sky facing the lake was a tall man with grey-white hair. The man was also holding a staff with his back facing Rius. But Rius knew who this late night visitor was, Merlin Weiss.

“What are you doing here so late? It hasn’t even been a day yet. Are you here to take me back?” Rius asked.

“No.” Merlin remarked as he turned around. In his arm, he held what looked like a white jade vase that was decorated sparsely with purple Irises. Rius’ eye was immediately glued to the vase. He knew exactly what it was. His breath became heavy.

“This was her final wish,” Merlin handed the cremation vase over to him. “She wished to be cremated. She didn’t want her body to rot when she is buried so she went with this method instead. Iris wanted to return home with you.”

Rius unfurled his clenched fists and reached for the jade urn. His fingers twitched as the tips touched the urn. Although the surface was cold and chilled him to the bone, there was some mysterious comfort he felt as soon as he embraced the vase within his chest.

“Iris,” he called out her name.

“... Just so you’re aware. I still hate you. But if it wasn’t for my daughter, I wouldn’t have saved you. So, you better live a good, fulfilling life. She exchanged hers for yours. Don’t let her sacrifice be in vain. Take good care of your daughter,” and with those departing words, Merlin vanished.

When Rius went back into the cottage to sleep, as soon as he laid beside Joy, she stirred awake.

"Oh, sorry for waking you."

Joy smiled and shook her head.

Rius just gave her a faint smile while he gently stroked her head. "I miss your mother..."

"Me too. Mommy said that she has to go away for a while. She said she had to go save someone and told me not to miss her too much."

"Oh? And why is that?"

"Because she'd always come see me in my dreams, hehe. Even though there are nights I don't see her, I know she's always watching over me. Goodnight, Daddy."

"... In your dreams, huh," Rius smiled. "Goodnight, Joy."

***

As the years went by, Rius raised Joy well. He taught her many things and traveled occasionally with her throughout the continent of Ove. Of course, Joy eventually found out the truth about Iris and cried her eyes out, but she never held it against her mother. Joy knew how much Iris lover her and her father.

Although Rius had accompanied her when she wanted to travel, there were times he did not go with her. If Joy ever wanted to travel out, she usually traveled with Maru and Gotoh because Rius always wanted to stay by Iris’ side by their little home. He would always watch the recordings Iris left him. Even though he indulged in these recordings everyday, he never got bored of them. These were his treasures.

Rius raised Joy with unconditional love but she was not spoiled but was rather assertive, always spoke her mind but was always respectful and mindful. It was not long when Joy found the one and fell in love. Of course, the young man did not escape Rius’ interrogations but after many questions, Rius came to the conclusion that his daughter had found the right man.

After Joy got married and moved out of the forest to live and travel the world with her husband, Rius remained. Rius had long released Maru and Gotoh of their services, telling them to go live their lives. It took them a while, but they finally listened to Rius’ last request as their king and young master. Although only 50 years have passed by, Rius’ time was coming to an end. He has lived a fulfilling life of 50 years without Iris, he couldn’t bare any more. As if the heavens heard him, he knew his time was approaching. 

Cradling the jade urn in his arms, Rius sat underneath the tree that stood right beside their little cottage. It was the flower-viewing season as flowers had already begun blooming on the trees. Rius smiled as he stared up to the blue sky with flower petals dancing in the air.

“Hm, how I wish you were still here Iris,” his hoarse yet serene voice said softly as his fingers slightly caressed the urn.

“Wait for me, Iris. I’ll be with you shortly,” Rius smiled one last time and closed his eyes before releasing his final breath.

When Joy and her husband returned from their travels, she rushed over to the sleeping old man under the tree with a big smile. 

“Dad! Daddy! I’m back!” Joy ran up to the old man and gently stroked his face.

But the moment she touched him, her breath became stagnant. Her lips quivered as tears welled up in her eyes. Joy sighed heavily, biting her lower lip. Her husband came up beside her and tried comforting her. Joy just smiled as she leaned over and gave her father a kiss on the forehead.

“Good night, Dad. I hope you find Mom.”

28