184 – Masquerade
44 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I take a few steps forward, making Ether flow along my body, Rapturous and Strugglers Defiance coming to life first things first. Strength flows through my body as I draw Intervention and move toward Bonfire and the Bado he's with.

 

As I do so, Ether enters my eyes and widens my vision as the world of chains becomes more precise, and I share Bonfire's perspective with Insight. His sight is filled with fire and lightning as I feel the internal panic and worry marginally sated with our arrival. Beside me are Dakota and Blake, coming with me to help.

 

And once I get close, I keep the shotgun up, telling Bonfire to put the fire down.

 

"Let the fire go! You'll just tire yourselves out!"

 

He nods, sweat dripping down his face, and he taps the Bado with his elbow. Both of them promptly stop using their skills as everything begins to calm down, but they don't drop their caution, eyes shifting every which way.

 

The Bado's eyes seem to focus on my companions and me as a crackly and uncertain voice comes from his beak. The birdman's facial expression, if you can even call a beak and eyes a face, evokes solemnity.

 

"These people trustworthy?"

 

Bonfire shakes his head positively as he pulls the Bado, Skychaser, closer to Blake and me under cover of Johnny's gun that is watching us from afar.

 

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. These are the ones I told you about. This one here with the fox is Wyatt, the far one is Johnny, and the woman, is Blake. I—uh… don't know the other two, but I'm sure they are good. Even if they are…"

 

The birdman's eyes, glowing in the slightly dark tunnel with a red light, gaze at the child of stone behind the literal undead man with fires for eyes and us. He nods as if it all makes sense but shifts the topic. Bonfire is good at getting distracted. So am I, though.

 

"Odd. Never seen anything like them before. We need to take care of Skywanter. Or else he will ambush us. I don't have confidence in their abilities as I do yours."

 

I notice the slight dig the birdman takes at us and the correlation between the two names. Still, apparently, Bonfire takes the compliment too hard as he slaps Skychaser's back.

 

"Ah, I knew I was growing on you, buddy! Thanks for the kind words! Don't worry, we'll return your dear ol' dad to the nest."

 

The birdman sputters as he twists around, feathers clinking in the air.

 

"That's not what I—"

 

Blake yells at the two of them while we are distracted, the woman wanting to focus on killing these Motherbound while the others behind us are focused on keeping us safe.

 

"Focus, you two numbskulls! There is an enemy nearby, right? How did you two even survive this long!"

 

Bonfire twists to face Blake, his pride of his fire burning in his hand just as bright as his embarrassment.

 

"Uh, fire? Duh!? Hard to ambush me if everything is on fire."

 

The explanation makes both so much sense and so little at the same time. But, of course, Bonfire was the one sent while an ambusher was hunting down people. His Sigil is awesome, I can't lie, but damn, is he a bit too… loving of it.

 

Blake just harrumphs and turns her attention to the surroundings, searching the shadowy cave lit only by lanterns and Bonfire's blaze in his palm. Bonfire goes to talk to the Bado again, but Johnny yells from afar before he can get words out of his mouth.

 

"Bonfire! Stop fucking around! Focus dammit! What the hell's wrong with you!? Illuminate the whole room!"

 

Johnny's words do get me thinking as I look at Bonfire suspiciously. The man has always been odd, just like his rival, but he's never been this blatantly eccentric. But those thoughts go overhead as the pyro nods to Johnny, listening to the man instantly, his respect overthrowing whatever is affecting him.

 

A burst of flames comes from Bonfire, covering the whole room at once in a circle of fires that makes us all flinch, thinking he's attacking us, but I lower my arm as I notice that the fire is not hot or cold. Instead, it's just slightly warm.

 

On the ground around the whole cavern in the spire lies fire drawn in a kind of pattern that, funnily enough, resembles a drawing of fire. But it does the trick, illuminating the whole room. Too bad we still don't see the Taintwrought. Are they really this good at stealth? I suppose Virgil is, so it's not much of a stretch. Finding him was hard for me, even on a bright sunny day when I knew he was there. I can imagine that someone of an even higher Sigil and also corrupted by the Mother Below is far harder to find.

 

So, unable to find the Taintwrought, we all gather together while Bonfire keeps the flame burning like an alarm system. His words, not mine.

 

"Just keep out of the fire when you get close. I've been playing around with my Sigil for the past few months and figured out how to feel through my flames. Now, I almost exclusively use my fire for alarms. Gone are the days of sleeping with one eye open."

 

Gathered up in the center of the room for safety, reunion, and questions, we start talking, Johnny going first. However, I can tell the man never lets down his guard, his eyes swirling with gold the whole time. Skychaser, the Bado with streaks of blue on his dark metallic feathers, watches us with those beady eyes the entire time.

 

"So, Bonfire, what's the situation? What happened? Why aren't there any symbols guiding us? Is Sacate alright?"

 

I see Bonfire's lips twitch as he glances at Skychaser. For a second, I think he's about to do something, but the man just lets out a deep breath.

 

"Shit has been rough, Johnny. As far as I know, Sacate is still alive. Esther, too, Wyatt, but I don't know much else. It's been almost a week since I saw them last. We both split from them a while ago to come and find you guys. We don't know exactly where they are, just in case we were corrupted. The other regions have no idea what's really happening here in Starkbluffs."

 

I raise an eyebrow as Bonfire stops talking for a second to bring out a medallion encrusted with patterns resembling those on the Sentinels from before.

 

"It all started about a year ago, long before we arrived. Nahullo have been constantly invading, and a group of Sentinels discovered a nest of Bado completely taken by the Darklight, a Manipulator leading it. From there, more and more of the order slipped by to wipe out the Bado completely, seeing their whole race as weak and easily corrupted. Which is not true; they are—"

 

Skychaser cuts him off, the unusual voice coming from a beak once more.

 

"We are not weak. We are just outnumbered and pushed to the brink. Many of my brothers and sisters pushed too far too fast. The Ruthless Nest—"

 

Bonfire interludes to explain to us what The Ruthless Nest is. He does apologize to the Bado, however, which surprises me. Bonfire isn't known to be polite; if anything, he's blunt and rude.

 

"He means The Cabin. But, of course, every race sees it differently. Sorry, go ahead."

 

Skychaser's eyes go up and down instead of his head, making me think it's the birdman's equivalent of a nod.

 

"Yes. The Ruthless Nest high up above the clouds is merciless. Should one go against its rules, they are punished, the Mother Below twisting souls with her dangerous light. But when you are on the brink of extinction, what is a bit of madness? That is how many saw it. I do not. In a short year, seven lively tribes have been reduced to one. Four champions remain, all corrupted by the Darklight into Manipulators, the rest killed or captured by Nahullo. My father, Skywanter, the leader of our tribe, was also taken by the Darklight. However, he was turned into a Taintwrought, not a Manipulator."

 

We all nod to the story, taking in the information as Skychaser retells his race's part. Then, Bonfire takes the lead as the Bado takes a moment to fill his lungs with air.

 

"Yeah, and we all came to this spire upon Sacate's behest. He said he sensed souls in need of saving. Too bad we didn't realize the danger until we were at the bottom and met with 'Chaser's dad. Shit hit the fan, and we've all spent the past few months hiding, fighting, and trying our best to survive until you arrived."

 

Johnny puts his hand on his chin as he thinks about what the two told us, and after a second, he asks another question.

 

"How is this information not out? Are the Nahullo quarantining the whole region somehow?"

 

Bonfire shakes his head negatively before explaining, keeping his fire going the whole time.

 

"No, no one else knows. Sacate thinks it's Eli's fault. The Underground Tree should be able to sense this all going on, but nothing has happened. And the danger is restricted only to the spires within the deeper part of Starkbluffs, so those who live on the edge don't know. And those on the inside? They are either under siege by an army of Nahullo, being ripped apart by Sentinels for being Motherbound, or being corrupted. So chances are Eli is using the Darklight to weaken the Nahullo, pitting the strengthened Bado against the northerners."

 

Johnny still seems a bit skeptical as he asks one more question.

 

"What about the Blight Raven? What is he doing? Has he not contacted the other Pillars to help?"

 

Bonfire chuckles as the birdman beside him does the same, like some kind of inside joke. Their reactions only confuse me as I look back and forth between them. Finally, I ask what's so funny.

 

"What's so funny?"

 

Skychaser is the one that answers, immediately getting to the point.

 

"Blightraven is a Bado. Not a human. He only fakes being one to keep us all safe, but the Nahullo have him trapped in a cage, slowly wearing down the escape artist. No other Pillars will come to help him as he's not human. So the Nahullo are keeping him from helping us during this crisis."

 

The news makes us all so quiet that a strand of hair dropping could be heard if one were to be let go. Instead, the only noise is the crackle of the warm fire.

 

A Bado!? How!? How did a non-human reach the level of a Pillar!? Do the other Pillars know?!

 

While most of us sputter in shock, Silas talks to the Bado himself. The undead uses scraps of his previous life as knowledge.

 

"If I remember correctly, the last Pillar of Starbluffs was a female by the name of Goldie or something. What happened to her? How did a Bado and not another human replace her? And how do the other Pillars not know?"

 

Skychaser puffs his chest in pride as he speaks about the strongest of his race, the same way a human would about Marshall Travis, Maddox, or the Prime. The inherent ego comes out before dampening to bitterness.

 

"Blightraven was born of Blightclaw, champion of the Blight-tribe. But Blightclaw was felled by a human shortly after his son's hatching. That human, Goldie Prior, took pity on the young chick that was Blightraven, raising him alongside the rest of the Blight-tribe. Eventually, Goldie fell in battle against Nahullo, and Blightraven rose to take her place. However, the Wastelander only had one condition for Blightraven to be a subsidiary of humanity. No other Angels may rise from the Bado. And without any other choice but obliteration by the world's strongest human, he agreed."

 

Skychaser finishes with disappointment evident in his gaze. He doubtless believes that Blightraven shouldn't have relented so quickly. He feels his people deserve better than being simple subsidiaries, not even genuine allies. I… I think I agree. If Howard Strafe—er, Blightraven could keep his identity secret and Starkbluffs safe, then he deserves our respect, right?

 

Johnny seems to finally believe them, and he lowers his guard, the gold fading from his eyes. He can't keep that Absolution skill at the ready all the time; it takes great focus and Ether to use one. I would know. Mine kicks the shit out of me every time. It is getting better, though. I can't wait to see when it evolves into a Power.

 

The Gunfighter nods and motions for us to get a move on.

 

"In that case, we need to get moving. Save our people from below and get the fuck out of here. Seems like all we do is run, eh?"

 

His words echo along the flames as most of us agree to his terms, but Bonfire and Skychaser meet gazes, shoulders moving uncomfortably. Then, finally, the pyro pipes up, voice a bit unsure.

 

"Yeah… about that. We were hoping–er, Skychaser and the remnants of his tribe were hoping you would help Blightraven. In exchange, they would all join our cause, given that they are treated as equals."

 

Ah, I see now. That's why he's with the Bado. They offered to help us fight against the Pillars, demons, and whatever else might come so that we could create a better world amongst the ashes. I raise a hand toward Johnny, seeing no problem with it.

 

"Why not, Johnny? A regime built upon alliances with other races would be a good way for a balance of power, right? Keeping any one group from doing what the Estates are doing?"

 

The Gunfighter doesn't nod to me, just keeping his thoughts to himself with a hand on his chin, but after a moment, he asks Skychaser a final question.

 

"And how would we keep this equality? By power? Do you have any 6th Sigils like me or Sacate left alive?"

 

The Bado answers honestly, and it garners him a noticeable amount of respect.

 

"No. We have no 6th Sigils left; in my tribe, at least, there are still some within the Blight-tribe, but I think they are currently trying to save Blightraven. Who knows how they are now? I am the most powerful remaining here, so I am the leader. But, I can promise, I won't lose to one. Perhaps unless they are a Forerunner like your famous Darkstep or Lennon Hull. Lightning is formidable; my mother was the Spark-tribe's Champion before falling. She taught me the ways long before I even gained a Sigil. Should I be given a bit longer to grow, I will reach your level. Of that, I am sure."

 

Johnny reaches an arm out to Skychaser, citing terms for the allegiance. He seems willing to do what he can to save Blightraven, as he is not a human Pillar controlled by the Estates. Instead, he is a free Angel that needs saving, bound only by the inactive Prime.

 

"We can be equal, and I will even try to help your people's guardian under a few conditions. First, we make one person the de-facto leader in war or combat. There is no time for voting or deliberation during a fight. We share our knowledge of Sigils and skills, something I highly encourage among my group. And finally, you must guarantee that none of your tribesmen will trespass The Cabin's rules. I cannot allow Motherbound among my people."

 

Skychaser reaches his claw out, a hand made of four thin digits ending in sharp claws that meets Johnny's hand. The birdman agrees to the conditions.

 

"That sounds reasonable. I will personally see to it. There are not many of us, after all. Only about thirty or so. But all are Sigiled; ten are fourths, and two others are fifths like me. That is, Bado does it. None can leave the nest until you gain a Sigil."

 

The deal is made, and all Blake, Lennox, and I did was watch it take place. Not that I'm against it, though. Only one Bado had tried to kill me, and it was obviously not right in the head. I have no hate toward them as a race, and the more allies, the better. Not that I was expecting birdmen to join us, though.

 

Once the deal is finalized with the handshake, I see Bonfire smile wide and slap Skychaser on the back again.

 

"See, why were you so worried? I told you he was a good guy! Now! Let's go find everyone else down below!"

 

The birdman side eyes Bonfire and tries to brush him off.

 

"It's not that I didn't believe you; it's just that things this seriously must be weighed carefully. And yes. The longer we take, the higher chance someone is dead."

 

Our group then begins to move forward, Bonfire in the lead as the duo retraces their steps. The whole way, the pyro keeps where he is walking doused in flame, only relinquishing it once he steps onto it to keep the path safe from any hidden creatures. It's brilliant, but it's going to tire him out fast. But I guess that's not much of a problem now that it's not just the two of them.

 

We keep our eyes and senses peeled, searching for that Taintwrought so we aren't ambushed from a corner or unexpected place.

 

As we walk, I think back to the group of dead men, Bado, and Sentinels, bringing it up to the two who were here before.

 

"Hey, Bonfire. What happened to those people in that one room? The room with the Sentinels, Bado, and humans?"

 

Bonfire turns back to look at me for a split second, and as he does so, a flash of dark appears before him, taking advantage of his distraction. My eyes widen, and I try to do something to help as I see a claw cloaked in darkness fly for the man's head.

 

"Oh, yea—"

 

Twelve gunshots go off the millisecond before Bonfire's head is removed, Johnny's hands unrivaled in speed. I see the creature fall to the ground and roll in flames for a second before disappearing into a puff of smoke. We all try to attack it in various ways, but only Johnny lands a hit.

 

Bonfire turns back around, panicked, and doesn't see anything.

 

"Uh… what happened?"

 

Johnny steps forward as I notice his eye is slightly murky, flakes of gold within. He used his Glitch! That's how Johnny was able to hit it! He must have caught it the second it appeared and used Glitch to slow it down enough for him to draw his weapon and fire.

 

"The Taintwrought just tried to kill you as you turned around. No more talking. We'll discuss it later."

 

Bonfire's eyes widen, and he nods profusely, a bit of concern even on the jokester's face as no one wants to lose their head. But as the man turns back around, everything goes dark in my vision as if a cloud of darkness is covering us all, only allowing my sight of chains to stay.

 

Amidst that darkness are flakes and spirals of silverish light as unnatural bodies fall onto the hallway floor from cracks in the rocks above. In inhuman ways, the creatures stand and silently approach, bodies twisting egregiously as they take full advantage of the utter dusk.

 

Fuck. The Taintwrought brought friends.

 

2