The World and My Place
37 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Living life in a circus, you really realize how many things you will never be able to live. And I don't exactly mean that for those who suffer from social anxiety and are afraid to even talk to their families, but for anyone living in a modern society.

Beyond the laws that themselves defied the science of my world, I could see that even if I were on Earth and decided to join a caravan of artists, I would be able to experience the same thing as here.

Through the stories that Odard told me on the days that he wasn't training some martial art or invoking earthen walls or creating water projectiles, he used to tell me about his youth. Jane regularly talked to me about her family; not about her past, but thanks to her I was also able to get a relatively clear idea about the place in the world where I found myself... Or rather, the piece of land.

To talk about my father's past, we first needed to meet the Republic of the Emperor's Children.

The Emperor's Children Republic was, in short, a country-sized guild of adventurers. With this you will be able to understand that it was not the typical organization for mercenaries and treasure hunters, where you were only going to acquire a mission and rise in rank; but a society of elite individuals who have dedicated their lives to the pursuit of exploration, discovery and adventure. The Republic is a place where the most skilled and daring people on the continent can come together to exchange knowledge and ideas, share experiences, and embark on quests that are beyond the reach of the ordinary adventurers we talked about at the beginning.

It was a center of learning and research, because being a totalitarian organization with the power of a country, there were branches of the same headquarters everywhere, with installations of all kinds. Adventurers could study ancient texts, artifacts, and other treasures to discover the secrets of the continent. From this, you can understand that they maintain a vast library of rare and valuable books, maps, and documents, and also employ academics and experts in a variety of fields to help with research and analysis.

In addition to its academic pursuits, the Republic is also a stronghold of innovation and technology. Members have access to state-of-the-art equipment and tools, as well as workshops and labs where they can develop new technology and techniques to help them on their adventures. The Republic also provides funds and resources for members to conduct research and experiments, and encourages them to share their findings with the community at large.

And how could it be different, despite its sophistication and exclusivity, the Republic is also committed to promoting the values ​​of exploration, discovery and adventure among a broader audience. It sponsors expeditions to remote and exotic locations not yet known on the continent, organizes conferences and public exhibitions, and works with governments and other organizations to promote the exploration and preservation of the continent's natural and cultural heritage.

In short, the Republic is not just a group of adventurers, but a community of scholars, innovators, and visionaries committed to pushing the boundaries of human knowledge and experience. It's a place where the world's most talented and passionate people can come together to pursue their dreams and leave their mark on history.

Those in charge of running this organization were known as The Council of Masters, the governing body of the Republic, made up of the most powerful and influential members who have dedicated their lives to the mission of exploration and discovery of the continent. Council members were ranked according to their level of authority and experience, with higher-ranking members having greater responsibility and influence within the organization. And Odard, my father, was a member of the Council of Masters.

At the time, Jane was the chief clerk for the archives administration of a public association in the Republic. According to Odard, he met her during one of his trips to the country. It was a love so sincere, that according to him, it was the reason for him to abandon his position on the council. Obviously I didn't buy his motive, but I wasn't going to complain either considering that I could barely move my lips to suck my food.

Now, you've probably noticed that instead of saying "world" I just used "continent", this is for a very simple reason. I was currently on the continent called Terrafirme, the only continent that this Empire, these people, and every living being born into this world, has ever known.

Terrafirme was a supercontinent seven times the size of Jupiter. In the year 703 of the month Blossomtide, twelve years to the day the Emperor was able to rest on the Crimson Throne after conquering what is now Empire land, Operation Sails of Crecentia was launched, in honor of the first born female.

The Sails of Crecentia were a set of seven vessels created with the highest technology that the Empire had been able to recover from the dust of the ancient human civilization, the "Ancient Ones", and rebuild during those twelve years of peace.

The objective of the mission was clear and simple: to go beyond the wall of darkness that surrounded the coasts of Terrafirme. 

It seems, this continent was surrounded by a huge wall of darkness, something that I couldn't verify due to the immense and absurd size of Terrafirme, and my central location.

The Sails of Crecentia came afloat breaking the waves surrounding the continent, but as soon as they broke through the wall, nothing was known about them to date.

I do want to mention that I have no idea what kind of technology the Republic may have rebuilt, or even what kind of civilization the "Ancient Ones" had, but I don't think these people were simple enough to throw away their most valuable ships for a nothing.

It is to this day that the Empire along with the Council of Masters fear another such devastating loss to humanity. Thus, it seemed to have been unanimously decided that until even one human being could be sent back and forth, no resources would be wasted on any further large-scale expeditions.

I spent nights wondering what the darkness of the afterlife hid.

* * * 

—Look at his little eyes while he sleeps. Isn't it the cutest little thing in the world? I want to hug him and give him a thousand kisses...

—No, Jane, I beg you! If that little source of endless crying ever woke up, I would have to sleep another night under the pillow.

—You will anyway if you keep acting like this. If Darrow cries, it's because he's unhappy with something, and it's our duty as his parents to resolve his discomfort. Do you remember how the day he was born he didn't shed a single tear?

—Now that I think about it, it's true. Although that old bastard said it was normal because of the spiritual union that joined his mind and shares with you and your calm... Well, for now let's leave it like that and take the opportunity to sleep too.

—Sweet dreams, my little Darrow...

I calculated a total of thirty minutes from when I stopped hearing his voices and started listening to Odard's snoring. In any case, even if Odard didn't snore as if he had a trumpet embedded in his body, I had spent days studying the time when they both fell asleep individually. That's why, when the moment arrived, I only had to get under the covers of my crib and wish to get out of it so that a soft light would immediately surround me.

When I opened my eyes, my dark surroundings drastically changed and I was greeted by the interior of a different carriage than mine.

The first thing I saw was the wooden kitchen shelves under a green stone countertop that supported a set of wooden flatware. On top of the stove and on the kitchen supplies was a hardcover orange book. On the wall to the right of the counter, there was a bookcase the size of an adult and the width of two, the books themselves were protected behind clear glass and fortified by threads of oil-dipped wood. In a corner next to the bookcase sat a bag of some brown, fibrous material with white embroidery that was guarded by a set of short swords and needles.

But on the left wall and in front of all this, was the cherry on the cake. It was a simple wooden desk, with a chair and a couple of candles; however, it was the scrolls together with the ink and paper that made my eyes shine with illusion.

—To be genuinely honest, young Darrow, I did not expect your late-night wish. Silly me to ignore the fact that you were just an infant, and that in fact, unlike your parents, me or any adult, you have a source of energy that is nourished by sugar itself.

That slow, sure, effeminate voice belonged to the man coming down the stairs from the top floor of the carriage.

His hair was short and curly, his eyes had droopy lids that made him look tired but his impassive smile and the strong light blue of his eyes made his gaze disappear. He was wearing a long, tight-fitting, high-necked white robe, a hand watch hung from his neck and was held to him by a golden chain. Around his torso was a red blanket with complex yellow drawings, it seemed to be an outfit for cold nights and at this moment he was wearing it without clothing. From the waist down, the tunic was covered by an open skirt that revealed a pair of baggy pants and leather boots tied with brown thread at the ankles. But even with this intricate outfit steeped in culture and tradition, anyone who saw him would take notice of his dark gray skin.

He was Daageo Vinrin Agu-Ulupine, Daageo to those closest to him, and if I understood the context behind his race's history well, I could tell that I was one of the privileged few to see it in person. A drow. A Dark Elf.

But unlike the rest of his race, who lived underground following the sick orders of a Demon Queen, Daageo and a few of those who ascended were the complete opposite of his kind. The case varied depending on the person, but Daageo was an honest, kind, and compassionate Drow.

The reason? He was a follower of Auriel.

Although Terrafirme was massive in size and had a history of millions of years, most of the cultures of the Ancients, along with their traditions and religions, had been left in the dust of what they once were. What we had now was the thin surface of what the Emperor could salvage; Archives, data, memories, artifacts, technology, magical techniques, books, tomes, scrolls, grimoires, ninety-nine percent of Terrafirme's history had been lost during some conflict and for whatever reason. For this reason, the religions and cultures of today were not as many as one might suppose.

In fact, in Terrafirme five religions and five cultures with their respective subclasses predominated.

"Dervish" was the technical name that diplomatic scholars in their Empire towers had given to my family's culture. And "Celestian" was the name given to the followers of the deity called Auriel, who represents purity, light and order.

I didn't know Daageo's history, but since the day he appeared by the side of the road on our trip and asked for transportation, he had been allowing me to come to his wagon to let me check his books. Sometimes, he spoke to me, other times he was lost in the ink of his scrolls. But I always felt his eyes on me, he was also the only one who treated me like more than a baby. I felt as if he knew that I had actually reincarnated and was of the age of an adult.

Odard was complicit in the nights when Daageo listened to my wish and, using his magic, brought me here. Having held the most important position in the Republic, Odard naturally had unmatched strength and reflexes, surely he would have heard or felt the light from under my sheets, but still he chose to ignore me.

Odard was a very irresponsible father, a very free soul. But I suspected that he trusted his own abilities enough to know that he could get me back no matter what. Although I was also aware that he had spoken to Daageo about this…

—You seem more thoughtful than usual tonight —Daageo said, bringing me back to reality. His voice was a coaxing, intrusive whisper—. Here. Finishing what you've started is a form of practical discipline for more arduous tasks in the future.

I didn't know if I wanted to understand the complexity of his sentence, the real reason for what it implied, but I let myself be carried away by what it meant at the moment.

With that, I sat down crossing my obese legs and opened the book he had handed me with difficulty.

In Terrafirme there are multiple societies, kingdoms, citadels, metropolises, etc. But in all that quantity, three kingdoms stand out for their quality.

The Kingdom of Xerathia was founded by a group of powerful wizards who sought to create a utopia where magic could flourish without the constraints of mundane society imposed by the Empire. Over the years, the kingdom has become a haven for magical beings of all kinds, including witches, wizards, and sorcerers. Xerathia is a land of towering spires, floating islands, and glittering portals that lead to other realms. The ruling council is made up of the most powerful wizards in Terrafirme, and they rule with a firm but fair hand.

If you go to Xerathia, you should be aware of three important points, its laws:

1. It is illegal to use magic to harm another living being.

2. All magical creatures must register with the council and wear a magical necklace that restricts their powers.

3. Carpets, brooms, gravity spells, pets, family or air-type spirits, must have a valid license to operate in public spaces.

 Valeriana is a land of warriors and conquerors, ruled by a mighty king who has united the various clans and tribes under his banner. Valerian's people are known for their bravery and skill in battle, and their armies are feared across the continent. The kingdom is a harsh and unforgiving place, with towering mountains and deep valleys home to dangerous beasts and treacherous terrain.

In Valerian, the laws are cruder and less sophisticated:

1. The duel is legal and must be resolved in front of a multitude of witnesses.

2. It is illegal to withdraw from a battle once it has started.

3. All children must be trained in combat from an early age.

These rules are generally meant to fulfill the request that the Supreme Emperor made to the Valerian kingdom in person. Create soldiers. Valerian was a treasure chest in the hands of her king, but instead of having gold and jewels, he had modified genetics that helped create the strongest warriors humanity has ever seen.

Lastly was Aeloria, a land of beauty and grace, ruled by a queen who is as wise as she is kind. The kingdom is known for its stunning gardens, sparkling lakes, and pristine forests. Aeloria is a place of peace and harmony, where all creatures, great and small, are welcomed with open arms. The people of Aeloria are skilled craftsmen and artists, and their creations are sought after throughout Terrafirme.

Aeloria could be considered an extremely liberal nation with open ideals. In fact, it seemed to be more of a kingdom created by and for non-human creatures, as Xeno discrimination did not exist within their cities.

Of the three kingdoms, this one arguably had the strangest laws of all:

1. It is illegal to harm any living creature, including insects.

2. All citizens must dedicate at least one hour a day to meditation or reflection.

3. Any form of waste or contamination is strictly prohibited.

I guess there's no need to mention it again, but yes; Everything on the continent of Terrafirme, everything under its skies and everything visible in the oceans, belongs to no one else and no one less than the Supreme Emperor.

I'll just say what little I know about him:

The Emperor is a prophecy. He has absolute power and many in humanity see him as a divine figure, an Immortal God. Is the Emperor a tyrannical or a benevolent man? I don't know, but what I do know, however, is that he has a somewhat distorted way of seeing humanity.

The laws, rules, grievances, wars, and conflicts of the kingdoms around the Empire are only the whisper of mosquitoes to the Emperor. Because the totality of each soul on the continent of Terrafirme is governed by a chain of castes and races that the Emperor decided to create and implant in all.

What divides society is known as "Systema ordinis". The Systema ordinis is the backbone of society on the continent. People are divided into different castes based on their birth, and it is almost impossible to move up or down the social hierarchy. The highest caste is reserved for the privileged elite, who live a life of luxury and work very little in cities known as "hives." The lower castes are forced to do most of the work and are often exploited by those in power.

There are five different castes in all, each with their own set of privileges and responsibilities.

The Nomen: The different castes are known as "Nomens" in Terrafirme. Each Nomen is distinguished by physical traits that are passed down from generation to generation. These traits are used to determine a person's rank and status within society.

Primus: The highest caste on Terrafirme is known as "Primus". Members of this Nomen have pale, almost translucent skin, and hair that ranges from pure white to silver. His eyes are a bright, penetrating blue. Primus Nomen is considered the purest and most refined of all the Nomen, and holds the greatest power and privilege in society. Members of the Primus Nomen are often born into wealthy or powerful families, and are rarely required to do any physical labor.

Secundus: The Secundus Nomen is the next highest caste in society. Members of this Nomen have slightly darker skin than the Primus Nomen, ranging from pale cream to light beige. Her hair is usually pale blonde or light brown, and her eyes are a dull blue or gray. The Secundus are considered to be slightly less refined than the first caste, but they still have many privileges and power. Members of the Secundus Nomen are usually merchants, politicians, or other high-ranking officials.

Tertia: The Tertia Nomen are the largest caste in society, and they make up the majority of the population. Members of this Nomen have skin that ranges from light tan to dark gray. His hair is typically dark brown or black, and his eyes are dark brown or hazel. The Tertia Nomen are considered to be hardworking and industrious, but have very little power or privilege in society. Members of the Tertia Nomen are usually farmers, workers, or soldiers.

Quartum: The Quartum Nomen is a small but important caste in society. Members of this Nomen have dark gray or light brown skin, and their hair is brown or red. Their eyes are dark brown or black. The Quartum Nomen are responsible for providing entertainment and art to the rest of society, and they are highly valued for their creativity and talent. Members of the Quartum Nomen often work as musicians, dancers, artists, or actors.

Quintus: The lowest caste in society is known as the "Decretory". Members of this Nomen have blue skin and purple, gold, or orange hair. His eyes are dark violet or light blue. The Decretory is responsible for performing the most menial and unpleasant tasks in society, such as cleaning, waste removal, and manual labor. Members of the Decretory have very little power or privilege, and are often exploited and mistreated by those in higher castes. They don't know about medical care, let alone what a plate with cutlery is. They eat debris from the ground and have developed inhuman abilities such as accelerated wound regeneration among others.

Gold, Silver, Iron, Clay and Mud, from higher to lower is the simplest way to refer to other humans.

Now, you can understand that the society of this world does not know the term "modern" and the reason for this is as simple as looking around. Magic is the fuel that moves everything, it is the workforce, it is the mind that thinks and the same one that manufactures.

In my world, such a thing as magic did not exist. The closest thing to magic was a nuclear bomb that could make a mountain disappear in the blink of an eye. This world, however, has already managed to manipulate the energy of that nuclear bomb and use it efficiently: Prana.

Prana is a Sanskrit word that refers to the life force energy that flows through all living things. In a magical system, Prana could be harnessed and manipulated to create powerful spells and abilities. Prana practitioners can focus on meditation and breathing exercises to help them harness this energy.

But being born with Prana or Vital Energy shares the same possibilities as being appointed by the Emperor, it is impossible. To give an example, out of a thousand children only five are born with Prana. However, considering the number of human beings on Terrafirme, that impossible probability goes unnoticed.

Once you are born with Life Energy, you only have to worry about two limits.

Magic addiction and magical interference.

In some cases, the use of magic can become addictive, leading magic users to rely on their powers even when it is not in their best interests. This could cause them to make risky decisions, such as forming a pact with an entity with dubious intent, or isolating themselves from society in search of absolute power.

In other cases - Xerathia, for example - the use of magic could interfere with the functioning of technology or other non-magical systems. A powerful spell might disrupt artifact-class devices, or a magic user might be unable to use public transportation methods. In the case of Xerathia, they created their boundary collars.

But really these were isolated cases, because once you had life energy, you would mainly search for your class and your efforts would go there. The classes were the system in which the spells or abilities of the beings with Vital Energy were divided and there were twelve in total.

Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Archer, Paladin, Monk, Warlock, Mage, Cleric, Assassin, Bard, Druid.

—Uhm? Is it hard for you to understand, young Darrow?

When I looked up, Daageo was watching me cross-legged in his seat.

—Let me see... The Prana Awakening? Yeah, it's not complicated at all —he said with a condescending look.

Hey, leave me alone!

—A Prana user awakens his Life Energy in his late teens; we could speculate that he is around eleven to eighteen. It is only during this stage in a potential Prana user's life that his body accepts and forms the magical core. There are different cultivation and meditation techniques, both respiratory and ritual... Mmh? Young Darrow, what are you doing?

While listening to Daageo's explanation, I couldn't help but try. In short, all I had to do was blank my mind and try to catch the air in my lungs; after all, the Vital Energy was in the air itself.

But when I closed my eyes and stopped hearing Daageo's voice, I knew that returning to that plane of darkness before I was born was not a good sign.

0