Greed’s Last Wish
80 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the room fell silent, the sound of forks clanking against a china plate echoed through the air, followed by the jingle of warning bells. My mother, her hair loose, immediately jumped to her feet with her eyes wide with worry.

—Darrow is only five years old! —Jane exclaimed, her voice thick with concern. She turned to Odard, who seemed resolute in his stance.

—He's a prodigy, Jane! —Odard replied with his voice full of conviction— How can you, his mother, not understand that his talent is wasted here with us?

Jane clenched her fists.

—And you think I care if his talents go to waste? —she retorted fiercely— He's my son! He is our son, Odard!

The two clashed, their voices rising as they argued back and forth. In the midst of the heated exchange, Ilit approached me with a penetrating gaze. He tapped my shoulder lightly twice on the shoulder, and I turned to him, feeling guilt wash over me.

—You were already late, though you realized it in time —Ilit said with his voice calm but reproachful.

I realized that many had noticed what I hadn't: Jane's mentally exhausted state. I felt a pang of shame at my ignorance, but also relief that I had realized it before things escalated further.

—Darrow, make your mother understand that this was your decision! —Odard implored, staring at me. 

Why does he look at me with such complexity? It was obvious that this would not be an easy task.

Taking a deep breath, I got down from my chair and walked over to my mother. As I reached out to embrace hers, I could see her expression soften, her grip on my hands tightening ever so slightly.

—Come with me —I said, smiling softly.

—H-ah? —Jane stammered, surprised by my unexpected words.

—Yes, I said come with me —I repeated—. You and father can come to Marsonia with me and help me find the right Academy.

Pelith, who until now had been just another observer, spoke from behind Jane.

—Jane, I think you should listen to the little firefly's suggestion. I understand how much you value Darrow, we all do. But you must understand that a mother's love does not mean drowning the dreams of her son.

Daageo, stepped out of the darkness with his presence drawing attention.

—Young Darrow has a talent I has never seen in my years in the way of magic. His mind is that of a privileged young man, but with the willpower he possesses at this age, I can only imagine the great things he could achieve in the future.

Jane couldn't take her eyes off me as she listened to Pelith and Daageo's words, but I could feel her grip on my hands tighten even more, as if she was trying to hold on to me with all her might.

If I had been in my old world, with my selfish and arrogant self, I would have put aside my mother's concerns without a second thought. But recent events have humbled me and given me a new empathy for others. I was no longer the self-centered and miserable being who believed himself to be the center of the universe. Now I can put myself in the position of others; and at this moment I am able to see things through the eyes of a person who loves me and is afraid of losing me.

Therefore, I want to make others happy, protect others and be the best version of myself to help others. If I become strong, I want to use that strength to protect those who don't have the strength to protect themselves.

—If I see something I don't like, no matter how simple it is, it's all over... —Jane said, rubbing my cheek.

—PERFECT! We will make preparations immediately and leave as soon as possible! We're going to Marsonia!

Before Odard's howl, the music returned with more enthusiasm than before and the party resumed its course.

 * * *

Four weeks of preparations for a month-long trip.

At this moment, my thoughts and I were on the edge of the dream world. The reason? Early tomorrow we would start the trip to Marsonia and my anxiety did not allow me to sleep.

Actually we could have taken more time to buy spare supplies and make the trip more enjoyable by taking a much safer path. However, it seemed that Odard and his old Republic contacts had secured a carriage and were going to "escort" him as they went to the same destination as us. Our group that consisted of Odard, Jane, Pelith, Ilit and Daageo were going to go on horseback to the meeting point. Then we would meet them and we would all go together and safe.

With all this, I couldn't help but think that since my reincarnation I was finally about to take my first real step in this world.

* * *

As I reflect on the passage of days, I am struck by how quickly time has passed, leaving me somewhat perplexed. My journey has been one of self-discovery, filled with revelations about my own character, but unfortunately I have gained little insight into the vast world around me.

Throughout this odyssey, I was accompanied by my mentor, Daageo, whose unwavering guidance has been instrumental in my understanding of the arcane theory of life force manipulation. He has patiently instructed me in the intricacies of mana, exposing the philosophical concepts that underlie his existence. It seems he sees this trip as my last chance to understand the limits and potentials of a mere mortal, like myself, who recently experienced an early core awakening.

Unfortunately, during one of our rigorous theory exams, my inadequacy came to light. I have a flagrant deficiency in my affinity with the elements, a fundamental aspect of any being imbued with life force. It's natural for humans to have synergies with the basic elements of fire, earth, water, and wind, but I'm sorely lacking in this regard. My affinity with the powers of nature is virtually non-existent, making me incompatible with the very fabric of my surroundings.

Naturally, my parents are aware of my condition, but I have assured them that my prodigious talent outweighs the need for elemental compatibility. And to some extent, this is true. Unlike a bottleneck that restricts my progress, my latent potential lies dormant, awaiting its awakening, just like my life core in the past. Neither my parents nor I are willing to abandon this trip solely because of my imperceptible affinity, considering the privilege of my talents.

However, I cannot deny that this revelation has left my spirits tarnished, sinking me into abysmal depths. Although I never subscribed to the notion of fated destinies, believing instead that I came to this world because of my incompetence in other realms, I had nurtured the hope of becoming the hero of the Dervishes, a beacon of light in a world filled with darkness.

The reality, however, is much bleaker than my aspirations. I find myself dealing with a feeling of inadequacy, a feeling of being out of sync with the very essence of existence. I am an anomaly, an aberration in a world where affinity with the elements is a birthright. The elemental forces that shape the world around me remain elusive, enigmatic, and beyond my grasp.

* * *

I looked up at the sky, my heart sinking when I saw that the once warm sunlight was obscured by dark gray clouds. It was a sight that filled me with trepidation. We rode with my family as we traversed the Seven Inhuman Kingdoms.

—There's a storm brewing —Ilit said, his voice laced with nonchalance, as he mounted his horse to our left—. What do you say, elf? Do you have a spell to part the clouds?

Daageo didn't bother to turn around and replied with disdain in his voice:

—It's understandable that your simple mind doesn't understand how the weather works. Seeing an ignorant lizard is not surprising.

I can not avoid laughing. They never seemed to agree and this often led to heated exchanges. I looked to the right and saw Odard, my father, directing his attention to my mother, who was riding beside me, holding the reins of our horse.

—How are you feeling, fair damsel? —Odard said with a sly smile.

My mother, Jane, looked at him with dead eyes and replied:

—You know I don't like storms, Odard. They put me in a bad mood.

—Hehehe... —Odard laughed nervously, slowly distancing himself from my mother as if he didn't want to step on a mine.

—Mom, you look pale… —I murmured, expressing my concern.

Jane released her hand from her reins and placed it over mine encircling her waist, offering me a weak smile.

—It's nothing, honey. I just feel a little tired. I'll be fine —she assured me.

I closed my eyes and sighed, feeling a sense of foreboding in the air. Our horse stopped suddenly and I felt something wet on my head.

Then, I heard Pelith's cry.

—They're attacking us!

His voice rang in my ears.

—Jane...?

I could hear my father's voice calling my mother, filled with a tone that I had never heard before.

But Daageo's voice got in the way.

—Damn! —he cursed, a rare show of frustration on his part.

The situation escalated quickly. I could feel the darkness closing in around me, even through my closed eyelids. Someone grabbed me and covered my eyes pushing me away from my mother. I heard screams, a sickening, piercing scream that pierced my heart. The hand covering my eyes was familiar, the same hand that had taught me how to use a wand and write poetry. It was Daageo, trying to protect me from something.

—Shh, my little… Calm down. You are safe here, both you and your mother...

I was soothed by Daageo's voice as he wrapped a cloth around my head, blindfolding me and obstructing my vision, leaving me in the dark.

I could feel the power of Daageo's spell, gradually muffling my hearing. As my world went silent, I heard his last words, spoken with sadness and regret.

—I will miss you, my good friend.

0