Chapter 10: Insomniac Conversations
29 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

June 15, 4021 01:00 [Zìyóugǎng- Precipice Hotel]

“So, how was the festival?” Aisha asked Vivian. Both women laid on their sides facing each other’s mattresses, supporting their heads with one arm.

“It was great, all things considered. We watched a boat race, wined and dined, and ended the night with some fireworks and a show. I’d say it was a nice distraction, although I could have done without the terrorist attack,” Vivian shrugged.

“I’m glad to hear that. It’s good that you had fun,” Aisha smiled for a moment, but her brief expression faltered. “Speaking of the attack, all of you seemed so calm when it happened. I just froze; when I saw the blood...and the people under the rubble, I…” she trailed off.

“It was shocking for everybody. You don’t get out much, especially to do field work, so it’s understandable you’d have such a reaction. As a doctor, I’m usually witness to the casualties of war. I can’t give you an accurate statement on the other guys’ reactions, but I assume seeing violence is pretty normal for them, especially Cecil. I can’t imagine what he saw while he was stationed near Levante. Even that chatterbox closes up when anyone asks about his time there,” Vivian said, shaking her head.

“That sounds horrible,” Aisha muttered, disturbed that they had grown accustomed to such slaughter.

“Don’t let it get you down, Aisha. That’s why you and the other Homunculi exist, so that we can prevent more disasters from occurring. We’re here to keep people safe,” Vivian reassured her.

“I guess you’re right,” Aisha said, slightly relieved. Yawning, she rolled over. “How’d the date go?” she asked, settling into her comforter.

“Ah, you know, we just talked and sort of got to know each other. It was a little awkward so we tried loosening up with a little booze, but I guess we got carried away again,” Vivian laughed nervously.

Aisha looked at her roommate with disappointment. “Was ten years not enough? Not to mention you’ve seen him naked on more than a couple of occasions already—”

Vivian moved swiftly, clasping her hand on Aisha’s mouth to silence her. “Shhhh! They could overhear us. Please just keep your voice down. I’m begging you,” she whispered harshly, eyes full of intensity.

Aisha nodded. Vivian slowly released her grip over Aisha’s mouth, maintaining the intensity in her eyes.

“I’m his physician, okay? That’s totally different. I’ve only seen him naked for his physicals, not for... other things. In that scenario, I’m a doctor and he’s a patient. It’s easy for me to get into a headspace where I’m a professional checking upon the health of my patient; there’s nothing complicated to it. But when we’re alone and the intentions aren’t platonic, I get way too flustered. I get nervous and self-conscious. I always put up a front, but now it feels like I’m walking on eggshells. What if at some point he initiates something and I push back accidentally? What if he hates me for it?”

“I wouldn’t overthink things too much. I know my brother can be dense sometimes, but even he has enough social awareness to understand if his actions make you uncomfortable.” Aisha reassured her.

Vivian smiled, thanking her friend for her words of wisdom. She reached for the light switch, flicking it off, blanketing the room in serene darkness before sinking into her pillow, the knot in her stomach now alleviated.

***

“Goddamnit!” Indra screamed into his pillow. “I wasn’t planning on doing anything. I just wanted to spend more time with her,” he complained. “Why does Aisha have to be such a buzzkill?”

Mirai nodded. “I agree with you. Still, I don’t think it’s all bad. We can talk more freely if it's just us.”

Indra grumbled indignantly but turned to listen.

“It would just be awkward if we were alone with them. We’ll be able to spend more time with each other this entire week, so it’s not like we’re missing much.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right. I just wish that I could have made things go smoother today,” Indra mused.

“We couldn’t have known that the plaza was going to be attacked. You’ll have more chances to make things right,” Mirai reassured him.

“That’s not exactly what I meant, Mirai. Even before the attack, it felt weird when we were together. I kind of expected Vivi to take the lead once we were alone considering how bold she usually is, but she was just as nervous as I was. She suggested going to the realgar wine stall so we could “loosen up” but we went overboard again; I can’t help but feel like she kept feeding me drinks on purpose,” Indra sighed solemnly. “Am I doing this right? I don’t know the first thing about relationships and I don’t want to make her feel uncomfortable.”

“I wouldn’t know, but maybe you should talk to her about it tomorrow? Things aren’t going to get any better if you both keep beating around the bush,” Mirai answered, mulling over his own response. “You could also try asking your sister for advice since she and Vivian are pretty close.”

Indra scoffed. “Fat chance. I think I’ll just talk it over with Vivi.”

Mirai reclined back in his bed staring at the ceiling. “Speaking of relationships, Aisha and I, do you think that there’s any merit to it? Or is she just stringing me along?”

“What’s the current verdict?”

“She says she’s not ready for a serious relationship.”

Indra scratched his chin. “My sister doesn’t like change. She despises new environments and meeting new people. She prefers to stay in her own bubble and have people revolve their own lives around hers. I can only imagine how disillusioned she must have been when they announced we were going to be stationed in the city after becoming citizens. She says she’s not ready, so listen to what she says. Cut your losses and move on,” he finished.

Mirai looked sullen. “Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind. ‘Night, Indra,” he said, reaching for the light switch.

“‘Night, Mirai.”

Click. The lights turned off, allowing the two to drift into a silent slumber.

***

“What do you think the others are talking about?”

“They’re probably sleeping, like any sane person would do at this hour,” grumbled Cecil, half asleep.

“Nah, I can hear them faintly, they're still awake,” Akula grinned.

“Good for you, can I go back to sleep now?” Cecil said, masking himself with his blanket.

“C’mon, just humor me for a few minutes and then I’ll let you go back to sleep.”

“Ugh, you just want me to guess what they’re discussing?”

Akula nodded eagerly.

“Vivian and Aisha; they’re probably talking about Indra. Aisha’s most likely calling him an idiot and Vivian’s worrying over nothing again. Mirai and Indra; they’re doing the same, talking about Vivian and Aisha,” Cecil deduced, lazily. “Now can I go back to sleep?”

Akula thought for a moment, wracking his brain, trying to figure out how to prolong this conversation. Then a thought occurred to him, recollecting a peculiar moment during the plaza attack, one that had puzzled him momentarily, but given the circumstances, he hadn’t had the luxury to reflect on it. Now was his chance to find out.

“Wait, I have one more question. It’s important.”

Cecil sighed beckoning him to carry on with his question.

“When we were running away from the plaza towards the embassy, I sensed something strange emanating from the blood trails I was following. I could feel the blood from open wounds in the area without being in physical proximity to anyone. It wasn’t like a scent trail where I could deduce their blood-related physiologies. It was as if I could reach out and touch the blood through the trails, directing red and white blood cell movement, freely manipulating plasma coursing through people’s veins. It felt like I had the ability to congregate trillions of platelets together. If only for a moment, I saw what looked like a cluster of rubies swarming together in my mind,” Akula explained.

Cecil had now sat up, slightly more wakeful than before, forgetting his fatigue after listening to Akula’s surreal experience. “It sounds like you’ve gotten a glimpse of a new Trait mutation; an insertion related to your shark genes based on your description.”

“So I’ve gained a new ability?” Akula teetered on the edge of his mattress in excitement. “Do you think this one has any offensive capabilities?”

Cecil shrugged. “The only way to find out is if we test it. Let’s go to a sanctioned training facility tomorrow and test out your new ability. My guess is that you can now manipulate blood composition. For example, you could cause ailments like hemophilia in your enemies by removing their platelets and so forth.”

“Sweet,” Akula said, landing back onto his mattress, a wide grin spreading across his face, as he pictured his new powers in action. “Alright, tomorrow we’ll test out my abilities, and then…” He yawned slowly, his eyelids becoming heavy until he was snoring audibly.

Thank goodness. Cecil lifted himself from his mattress, walking over to the light switch on Akula’s side of the room. Quietly he switched it off, as to not wake his snoring roommate, and returned to his mattress once more, falling asleep almost immediately, lulled by Akula’s rhythmic snores.

2