Chapter 20: Invocation of Storms and Disaster
8 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

July 26, 4021 01:36 [Matriarch 03 AB Side- Khar Khot]

A deluge of rain fell down upon the city as the Bloodhounds pushed through the packed streets of Khar Khot, jostling their way past the crowd. A sea of translucent umbrellas flooded the roads as they traversed deeper into the eighth district, reaching the plaza. The steady patter of water against their clothes left them soaked and shivering.

“We should have brought some umbrellas,” Skadi grumbled, rubbing her arms for warmth.

“I can make us some ponchos that’ll keep us warm,” Aisha offered, motioning for the others to gather around her.

“Aren’t you guys cold?” Skadi asked, looking in Mirai and Akula's direction.

The two seemed unperturbed by the freezing downpour, standing apart from the group.

“Well, I’m part shark and he’s part knifefish, so this is the perfect environment for us,” Akula answered, reveling in the influx of moisture on his skin.

Mirai didn’t respond, his eyes fixated on the upper districts. Towering skyscrapers utilizing varying styles of architecture surrounded the area. Floating vehicles rushed past the bright neon lights and flashing adverts as they cast the streets below in soothing light, awash with blue. Groups of people flocked to the night markets and street stalls, the allure of new products and the warmth of the sizzling griddles drawing them in from the cold.

“How is it raining like this in the middle of the desert?” Mirai wondered out loud.

“Some of the architects built a weather system for the city. The conditions vary based on the day and seasonal events,” Dot explained. “I should’ve known today was going to be the start of monsoon season,” he groaned.

“Wow, the city’s gorgeous; much nicer than the last time we visited,” Ghost noted.

“We’re still in the main plaza. Once we get to the sparser areas of town, we’ll need to be more vigilant,” Dot said.

The crowd grew thinner the further in they traveled, passing by increasingly unsavory characters, some leaning against the walls of the alleyways, while others hid in the shadows, waiting for easy prey. Skadi reached into her pocket, procuring a small disk that she placed on her Nerve Cord. The disk began to expand and shift, overlaying her hand until it became a mechanical glove, whirring as she flexed her fingers.

“Insurance,” she said when the others gave her inquisitive looks.

Slump nodded in agreement, igniting a fire in one hand while protecting the flame from the rain with the other.

“That won’t be necessary.”

The Bloodhounds spun around quickly, ready to pounce at their would-be attacker. However, Dot raised a hand to stop them.

“Kefka, what are you doing out here?”

A thin man dressed in a long overcoat, held his umbrella to the side, raising an eyebrow. He lifted up a grocery bag, saying, “I’m heading back to my bar, what are you doing here, and who are your friends?”

Dot looked at the Matriarch 07 trio, and then back at the man he called Kefka. “These guys are with us. They’re the new recruits. We’re here to see Gauss about a set of keys.”

Kefka expressed a look of distaste, clicking his tongue. “So that’s why he’s been squatting at my place. Come along then. I don’t want that miscreant at Dead Haven any longer. He’s scaring away all my customers.”

The Bloodhounds followed Kefka to Dead Haven, the alleys strangely devoid of life all of a sudden.

“The filth should stay in the shadows where they belong,” Kefka muttered to no one in particular.

***

The soft jingle of a bell rang as Kefka opened the doors to the two-story pagoda nestled in a secluded corner of district eight. A worn-out neon sign reading “Dead Haven” fizzled on and off. Kefka had explained to them on the way the reason for the bar’s location.

“Flooding from artificial typhoons rarely reaches this far but it’s still a risk. So rent is cheaper.”

Why is there a need to have typhoon simulations in the first place? Mirai brushed it off, figuring he wouldn’t get a rational answer from this group anyway.

Inside Dead Haven, soft yellow light gave off a warm glow. A certain coziness permeated throughout the establishment, from the way the seats were arranged facing the rain-soaked windows to the soft piano music playing in the background. Plush leather sofas were situated next to a roaring fire, coffee tables in front of them with half-sipped cups.

Standing behind the bar was a nervous-looking bartender, shakily wiping a glass as she tried her best to ignore the bored stare coming from the man lazily sipping his drink at the counter. A golden mask in the shape of a hyena’s snout sat on the countertop next to him. He wore black techwear pants and a dark poncho, zippers stitched all over his clothes.

“Anari you’re off the clock, I’ve got some personal business to attend to,” Kefka addressed the bartender.

She looked relieved, nodding quickly before untying her apron, glancing back apprehensively at the man, and hastily walking out the door, the bell jingling softly as she left.

Kefka sighed shaking his head. “Stop harassing my staff,” he said, stepping behind the counter.

“Damn, she was just warming up to me too,” the man at the counter said, chewing on his straw. He peered back at the group and raised an eyebrow. “Colorful cast of characters you brought with you, Dot. These guys your entourage?”

“No, they’re my teammates and you know most of them.”

“I know that. I’m asking why you’re too afraid to come alone. I don’t bite. I promise,” the man grinned.

Mirai’s skin crawled. There was no mirth behind those eyes. Something else…

The man’s eyes settled on Aisha. “Oh, who do we have here? What’s your name?”

Aisha looked uncomfortable, reluctantly giving the man her name. She looked at the floor.

“Aisha,” he said, enunciating every syllable. “That’s a lovely name. Tell me, what are you doing in a place like this? Just say the word, and I’ll whisk you away. What do you think? Want to come with me?”

Mirai stepped in front of her, interjecting, “We’re actually just here for the keys to the Lancer Docks, thanks.”

The man’s eyes flitted to Mirai, his face contorting into contempt. There it is. Whatever’s behind that facade.

“I didn’t ask you to speak. I want an answer from her. She has a mouth of her own. You can say yes or no, can’t you, sweetheart?” he said, tilting his head to look at Aisha again.

Mirai was taken aback. Visceral anger rose in his chest. Still, he maintained his composure.

Akula gnashed his teeth angrily. “Hey! What’s the big deal?! The hell is your problem?!”

“Gillies shouldn’t speak out of turn. Where’s your master? You two should be put in an aquarium for display.”

“Gauss, maybe we should tone it down with the anti-Sargassan sentiment, yeah?” Dot chuckled nervously.

Gauss stared down Mirai and Akula. “Now, I just want to know the lady’s answer,” he said waiting patiently.

Aisha stayed behind Mirai, gripping the back of his poncho tightly, mustering a soft, “N-no, I’m fine, thank you.”

The man clicked his tongue. “That’s a shame.”

“Watch it, Gauss, she’s fourteen. You should back off,” Skadi stepped in.

Gauss sneered at her. “So? Seventeen, fourteen, not much of a difference in age. Besides, we don’t have long, so might as well make life memorable. Although, a daddy’s girl who’s been handed everything on a silver platter her entire life wouldn’t exactly understand that, would you?” He turned to the others. “You know she’s going to outlive you, right? Uturians aren’t affected by the adverse effects of Traits.” He scoffed when met with blank faces, turning back to Skadi. “I can’t believe I have your disgusting blood in my veins. Almost makes me want to kill myself. Almost.”

“Maybe you should.”

Gauss picked at his nails, unfazed. “Struck a nerve, did I?”

“Gauss, we really just need the keys, man. Then we’ll be out of your hair, immediately,” Dot said, attempting to de-escalate the situation.

Gauss sighed, scratching his head. “It’s just been one headache after another. Traveling to Matriarch 07 to recruit that bastard, Cecil. Coming here to oversee this fuckup’s restoration project. Now I’m in a cramped bar, breathing the same air as two Gillies. I’m sick of it.”

Again with that word. Gillies? Dot said something about Sargassans earlier. Is he referring to Akula and I? What does that mean? Also, did he say Cecil?

“Wait, do you know where Cecil is? He’s our friend. Where was he sent during the transfer? What did you recruit him for?” Mirai asked, in hopes they could track down at least one of their missing friends.

Gauss cracked his neck, and his knuckles, proceeding to stretch out his limbs. “Y’know, now that I think about it. That guy did mention something about a protégé.” He pointed at Mirai. “You seem to fit that description. Let’s see if he was right,” he said, slipping on his mask, the tangle of silver hair on his head bristling with energy.

In the blink of an eye, Mirai suddenly found a hand wrapped around his throat as his back was slammed against the ceiling, breaking through the tiling and reentering the city. Streams of water rolled off his poncho as he was propelled upward. The initial impact rattled his brain, his vision turning blurry. Once his sight came into focus again, he realized that they were hundreds of meters in the air, well above Khar Khot’s skyline.

“I’ll have to pay, Kefka for those damages, but it’ll be easier to move around up here,” Gauss said through the mask. “I would offer you some eye protection, but I’m pretty sure you’re seeing this in crystal clear vision, aren’t you?”

It was true, the world appeared much clearer to Mirai under the torrent of rainfall over his face. Wondering how they were able to stay in the air so long, he looked down at the city below. His eyes widened. Underneath Gauss’ shoes, a swirl of black matter churned under each foot. His focus snapped back to the Hyena, trying to pry himself from his grip as black matter began to flow out of his zipper pockets like a swarm of insects. Mirai discharged multiple bursts of electricity from his fingertips, shattering half of Gauss’ mask.

A hideous grin lay underneath the now exposed piece of mask. “I’m going to enjoy this,” the Hyena laughed, leaning forward.

He dragged Mirai with him as they spiraled downward into a nearby building. Mirai grit his teeth, bracing himself as Gauss drove him through floor after floor, shattering the concrete into his back. Gauss laughed maniacally as Mirai discharged more bolts of electricity in vain, the charges seemingly getting sucked up by the black material floating around them. Blood seeped through Mirai’s clenched teeth as he focused on staying conscious. Screams of terror from the residents of the building echoed in Mirai’s head, anger building up inside him, worry for the civilians overriding his pain. They were being put in harm’s way unnecessarily because of this lunatic’s mad whims.

“Focus on the fight at hand!” Gauss yelled, throwing Mirai to the side, and sending him crashing into a corporate building as the surprised shouts of office workers were drowned out by the crunching of his bones. Shattered glass and broken stone dug into his flesh, as he labored to breathe, blood collecting in his throat. Water or not, his vision was shot. Mirai was barely able to focus, let alone stand up. His spine was crushed and deformed, deep cuts traveling as far as the bone. Nausea overtook his system as the head trauma neutered his coordination and balance. He could taste metallic liquid dripping out of his mouth, followed by vomit as he struggled to get a bearing on his senses.

He felt a hand roughly grab his collar. “Cecil said you had the potential to be stronger than him. Yet, here you are, broken, beaten, bleeding. You didn’t even put up a fight. You’re pathetic. He was wrong about you. I proved that today. Well, what can you expect from a sea mongrel? Only disappointment,” he said, his words dripping with venom.

Maybe Gauss is right. All this time I spent fighting Cecil on everything. I should have listened. I couldn’t do anything against him. Not even a single scratch.

“Your miserable life ends now. The weak have no place here. Repent, and maybe you’ll be stronger in the next life.”

Mirai gasped as something sharp drove its way through his chest. Time froze, and his last breath was drawn, escaping into the void…

***

The darkness was so cold. The icy fingers of death caressed his soul gently, forming a layer of frost that crept slowly around him. Mirai realized what was happening. He felt a sudden sadness wash over him, a deep regret for the things he failed to accomplish in life, the risks he refused to take. His careful planning and strict adherence to rules and order had still brought him to this place by way of an untimely demise. His biggest regret, however, was Aisha. She consumed his thoughts. He imagined the words he wanted to say, and the conversations they would never have. Mirai wanted to scream into the darkness, but no sound escaped, for he had no form.

Only anguish and despair were left with him. He was nothing, no one anymore. As the frost continued to spread further over his soul, he accepted his fate. If he were to become one with the void, would he suffer? He hoped not. Maybe it would take the pain away, and give him pleasant dreams to ruminate over. Or maybe he would cease to be altogether. A quiet, endless expanse of nonexistence. That would be nice.

He smiled, or rather, he thought to smile. If I could do it over again, would I do it any differently? No, maybe not. My life was good. I made friends, a family even. I was given love, and I gave love. I only hope that I’m wiser with my choices next time. I won’t relinquish caution, but maybe I need to let go of certain things too. God, I hope I remember these lessons in the next life… If there is one.

A sudden flash lit up the darkness, and a field of lightning suddenly enveloped his soul, melting away the frost that had slowly begun to overtake him.

Invoke the right to ascend to Godhood.” A disembodied voice echoed. “Only then can you save yourself. You must live, for your family will perish, otherwise. This is the only way to ensure their survival. Do not look back, no matter who you must leave behind. The path to the eight forms is arduous. It will be filled with sacrifice, pain, grief, and loss. But do not despair, Young Kami. The world will answer in kind and life will reward those who persevere. So go forth, and bring into reality the future you envision. Invoke the right to become Yakusa no Ikazuchi no Kami, The God of Thunder and Storms. Drive the darkness away from this world,” it concluded.

Mirai looked around the empty abyss, searching for the source of the voice. Where was it coming from? And even if he wanted to invoke this so-called right to Godhood, how would he do that? His question was answered almost immediately as a Taiko drum appeared in front of him with a mitsudomoe imprinted on its canvas. Mirai reached out, startled as his hand started to reform. He steadied himself, preparing for whatever the consequences of this choice would entail.

I’ll take any chance I can to keep them safe. He hovered a palm over the drum, taking one last moment to reflect before delivering a firm slap to the canvas. The moment his skin made contact, the world flooded with light once more. Don’t look back.

***

Mirai’s eyes flashed open as a surge of electricity surrounded him. His body remained battered and bloody, but the rush of adrenaline made him forget his pain, if only for a few precious moments. He threw a quick succession of attacks, interchanging them with bursts of static. Gauss, looking completely bewildered, was forced into defense, blocking punches, jabs, kicks, and throwing up shields of black matter to absorb the blasts of lightning.

“How?!” Gauss yelled, trying to process how the Homunculus standing in front of him could still move in such a mangled state.

He shook his head, snapping himself out of confusion. He collected the black matter into spiraling drills, launching them towards Mirai at breakneck speeds. Mirai took a deep breath, forcing himself to focus on the charges coming off of the drills. He read their polarities and switched the charge of the currents around him, redirecting the trajectory of the drills. He had finally figured out the mechanics behind Gauss’ Trait. Now, it was time to execute a counterattack. He began to accumulate a charge within his core, a swirling influx of electrons filling up his abdomen as he contracted his muscles to keep the galvanic reaction stored.

“Electromagnetism,” he sputtered, coughing up blood and sputum.

Gauss’ expression darkened, as he fervently increased his barrage of spirals. Mirai’s mind raced a million miles an hour, switching charges left and right to keep up with the onslaught.

“Why were my charged attacks being absorbed by the black matter that surrounds you?” he asked, rhetorically. “It’s simple, really. The floating pieces have a certain polarity that works by attracting the opposite charge. In this case, it was my static that had a different charge.”

“Shut your mouth, you dirty Gilly. I’ll rip out your tongue,” Gauss seethed, grinding his teeth.

“By simply changing the polarity of my charges, I can redirect your attacks. However, that begs the question, what are you using to attack me?”

Gauss began to throw projectiles wildly, now. Eviscerating pieces of the building and destroying the supports holding it up.

“It floats around you,” Mirai continued, still evading and redirecting the projectiles aimed at him. “So you must have an intrinsic charge. Your Trait isn’t what’s around us. It’s the way you manipulate it, kind of like my Trait,” he chuckled, faltering a little as the adrenaline started to wear off. Shit. I need to finish this fast.

Gauss lunged forward. Mirai remained steadfast, continuing to collect energy, slipping in and out of the Hyena’s range as he rabidly swiped at him.

“I could easily assume then, that the black stuff around us isn’t some inconceivable ability that you’re able to pull out at any time. It requires resources and tangible materials, hence this must be some sort of charged metal.”

“That’s enough!”

“The stuff around us is probably some sort of ferrous iron, but it moves too fluidly, almost like a colloidal liquid. Would I be wrong in saying it’s some sort of ferrofluid?”

“Graahhhh!!!” Gauss launched a final barrage of drills, shattering the walls and the remaining support beams of the structure, causing the building to begin collapsing.

This doesn’t look good. I need to get out of here. Mirai changed his internal charge to match the charge of his static, leaping from an opening in the building and shooting lightning from his palms. The like charges repelled one another, propelling him through the air. He aimed for the top of a nearby building, landing heavily on the helipad.

Mirai wheezed, struggling to support himself. He dragged his wrecked body across the helipad, seating himself upright against the steps, waiting for his prey. His preparations were complete.

Gauss landed mightily on top of the building, ferrofluid swirling violently around him. His exposed eye was bloodshot; the Hyena was overflowing with killing intent. He walked slowly towards Mirai. Wordlessly, he extended an arm, palm facing his opponent. The ferrofluid collected into a single massive drill aimed at Mirai’s heart.

“Tell me, I’m curious to know what you would have done to defeat me. You seemed to have figured out my Trait, but how exactly were you going to stop it? What was your plan of action? And your recourse when that plan failed?”

Mirai just stared listlessly at Gauss.

“Of course, you didn’t have anything up your sleeve. Look at you! You’re unsightly. I can’t believe you made me worry over nothing. Now, that is commendable. You got me riled up. You got in my mind. Made me lose control. But I’m in control again. Your little game is over. Any last words?” The drill started to spin at high torque.

Mirai chuckled quietly at Gauss’ infuriated face. “Ferrofluid boils at 223 °C.”

“So? Your electric shocks are nowhere near hot enough to reach that temperature.”

“Yeah, but a bolt of lightning is.”

Gauss’ eyes widened as the realization sunk in. He swiftly moved the ferrofluid to shield himself against the oncoming attack, but it was useless.

“Waka-Ikazuchi!”

The sky was enveloped in a blinding white light as a massive surge of lightning exited Mirai’s fingertips, burning a hole through Gauss’ shield and his sternum. The explosion parted the blanket of storm clouds looming above, allowing the moonlight to trickle down into the city once more. Mirai sunk low to the floor, exhausted, anemic, and severely injured. His vision faded, just as familiar silhouettes emerged in the distance. He smiled and closed his eyes, comforted by their presence.

1