Chapter 24: A Dream You Can (Not) Attain
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

July 28, 4021 18:17 [Matriarch 04- Aegypius Lab]

How long had it been? Hours? Days? Staring up at the surgical light as masked figures dissected him piece by piece, Indra wondered what it would be like to crush their skulls under his foot. He figured it would be a cathartic experience, a smile creeping up his face. One of them paused for a moment, hesitating after catching a glimpse of his expression. Indra had been strapped to an operating table, presumably within a hospital or a lab of some sort. The air was cold and sterile; the sharp scent of antiseptic wafted around the room.

The once agonizing pain he had felt as they sawed into his bone to collect samples had become a dull discomfort in the back of his mind. They had taken tissue out of one eye, leaving him partially blind. Sections of his skin and pieces of his hair had been carefully cut away. Vials of blood, plasma, and bone marrow had been extracted, placed in a rack on the instrument table beside him. Scalpels and other surgical equipment lay inches away. Which one should I use to slit their throats? Indra scowled, looking confused. Why can’t I get up? Never mind, I'll sink my teeth into their necks as they approach me. I want to watch as they writhe in agony, nice and slow. He turned to his right; a golden dagger had been pierced through his palm, pinning him to the table. It seemed to act as an anchor, sapping him of all strength. What was it made of?

A seething rage boiled within as he lifted his head to glare at the one-way mirror that peered into the room. I’ll make them pay. He tried calling for Usha, urging the Siren to come out. Yet, there was no response. Is it the dagger? The door to the surgical room suddenly swung open. A regal-looking man stepped through, accompanied by a woman dressed in military attire.

Kǔ Shén smiled smugly. “How are you doing Indra, my boy? Are these accommodations to your liking?”

Indra grinned, viciously fighting against his restraints to get at the Director, his shackles keeping him tightly bound to the table.

“Ah, you still have so much energy. That’s good to see. I wonder, is that you or the Siren? You were so mild-mannered when we first met. I suppose it doesn’t matter now, does it? You’ve managed to merge with one another. I think we’ve gotten enough samples, haven’t we?” he said turning to one of the masked figures.

They nodded curtly, measuring out a syringe before sticking it swiftly into Indra’s neck. Indra grit his teeth glaring murderously at Kǔ Shén.

“Don’t worry, you're done for now. Of course, we’ll need you to come back if we need more material to study. This is just a safety precaution so you don’t kill my staff once you’re let out. If it were me I’d free you right away.” He leaned in close. “I’d wager you wouldn’t be able to lay a single finger on me as you are right now.” He pulled back swiftly as Indra snapped his teeth at him.

Kǔ Shén laughed, amused. He left the room, followed by the woman who gave Indra a light smirk just as she passed through the doorway. I’ll kill them all. I swear. Every last one of them. No chain will ever bind me again. Again? Indra’s vision became blurry as his eyelids drooped. Whose thoughts were these? A muddled mess of emotions clouded his mind, overwhelming him as he tried to sift through an endless barrage of rage and sorrow. What is this? Usha? Still, there was no answer, and Indra’s mind slipped into unconsciousness once more.

***

Indra awoke to an empty room, save for a single guard. The guard sat in a chair next to his sick bed, ironclad in pure black Sanitation Gear, an insignia with the head of a crow emblazoned on his left shoulder. A helmet with a gas mask attached shrouded his face. A subjugator rested against the wall beside him. Indra sat up, adjusting his gown, wincing as he put pressure on his hand. His wounds had been patched up and tightly wrapped with a generous amount of gauze. However, dark splotches still bled through the bandaging. He picked at his eyepatch; the itch was almost unbearable.

“I wouldn’t do that. Your body was cut open with tools dipped in Amritha. It’ll take time for you to heal, considering you’re corrupted.”

Indra felt uncomfortable under the guard’s watchful gaze, directed at him through lifeless red lenses.

“What do you mean?”

“The Other, it’s merged with your soul. Hence, you’ve become a corrupted being. Amritha is an elixir of purity. Purity expels corruption, understand? Corrupted beings take longer to heal from wounds inflicted by purified instruments. Rumor has it that a version of this elixir can be made into a drink to grant immortality. Although, I wouldn’t suggest consuming the type of Amritha that was used to operate on you.”

“How do you know about the Siren?” Indra asked, concerned.

The guard remained silent.

“I guess that’s on a need-to-know basis, then?” Shit. How many people know? I need to figure out what kind of information they have. “Kǔ Shén probably told you, didn’t he?”

Still no answer.

Indra clenched his teeth. “You must be close to him considering you know about classified information.”

The guard was steadfast in his silence, but Indra wasn’t fooled by the facade. The reaction was almost reflexive, but the guard had realized his mistake too late. Indra had caught a glimpse of his enclosed fist. Bingo.

“Who are you?”

The guard stood up abruptly, grabbing his Subjugator and slinging it onto his back. He stood next to the sick bed, looming over Indra.

“You seem capable enough to walk. I’ll be escorting you out of here now.”

Indra felt a growing sense of dread the longer he stood near him. He didn’t feel any malice coming from the guard. Yet, the undeniable impression of danger left him anxious. “How do you know I won’t attack you? I was sedated for a reason.”

“You don’t possess any killing intent at the moment. And even if you did, you would sooner find yourself without a head before you could reach me.”

A shiver ran up Indra’s spine.

The guard reached underneath the bed, handing him his uniform. He hesitantly took the neatly folded clothes, thanking him. The guard turned around, allowing him some privacy to change. Once he had gotten dressed, they proceeded to leave the area. Following the guard’s lead, Indra walked past rows of what appeared to be clinical rooms, filled with patients. None of them resembled the one he had become acquainted with over the past few days.

“We’re in the hospital right now. Aegypius Lab’s location is disclosed to a few select members and groups to protect the Vultures. Few details about the lab have been released to the public. You’ll have to keep it that way.” he said noting Indra’s confusion.

Indra nodded, aversive to the idea of questioning the towering figure further. He was eager to leave the guard's presence. As they reached the glass doors of the hospital entrance a lone figure stood waiting for him.

“You look like shit.”

“I feel like it, too,” he chuckled.

Prasanna smiled. “C’mon, there’s a place I want to show you. Might make you feel better. On the inside, at least.”

“I think my insides are worse.”

She rolled her eyes. “I meant emotionally, fun-size.”

They strolled through the city, walking at an ambling pace so as to avoid exacerbating Indra’s injuries. They stopped at a cafe; Prasanna grabbed a table, waving over to the waitress, ignoring the glares of passersby. Indra winced as he lowered himself into his seat.

“Tengri really did a number on you, huh.”

“Y-Yeah,” he answered, reminding himself not to disclose any details about his stay at Aegypius Lab.

“We’ve all been there. The first time we went up against him, Emil and I were out for a week straight,” she laughed.

“Speaking of Emil, where is he?”

“Oh, he went to train. He looked pretty pissed off after that last bout with Tengri. I feel the same way. We put in all this effort to get stronger, only for him to take us out so quickly. It’s frustrating, to say the least.”

“I’m sorry to hear that.”

“Ah, whatever. That’s not really important. Anyway, I want to know, how does your Trait work?”

“My Trait?” Indra looked confused.

Prasanna appeared unconvinced. “The black form? That whole freaky abomination you became? What was that all about?”

A cold sweat started to form on Indra’s neck. “O-Oh that. I’m not exactly sure what the nature of my Trait is. I’ve only recently started figuring it out.”

“Really? That’s crazy! Tengri had us all evacuate the arena so that he could deal with you. I would have assumed you were a shoo-in for the promotion.”

“Promotion?”

“Yeah, promotion. To join the Hyena’s ranks. That’s why you're here, right?”

Indra shook his head. “No, I was sent here for processing alongside the other Traitless. I just happened to manifest my Trait during that training session.”

“Hmm, I guess they’re trying to see if they can force more manifestation from your group. Wait, does that mean you’re still under investigation then?”

He nodded. Come to think of it, what’s with this investigation? I haven’t received word of any ongoing developments since the first day. And the experiments; were they planning on bringing me here regardless?

“Don’t worry about your Trait. You don’t need to tell me if you’re still getting a feel for it. I know what that’s like, the growing pains can be embarrassing.”

Indra’s expression turned hopeful.

Prasanna snickered. “I meant getting used to the Trait. You will stay short.”

Indra rolled his eyes. Of course.

“I’m sorry, that was mean, funny, but mean. The reason I asked about your Trait is that my brother has a similar one. He refuses to tell me anything about it though.” She failed to witness Indra’s look of shock as the waitress brought two steaming cups of coffee and a small tray of croissants. “You must be hungry after spending a few days in the hospital. Here, don’t worry about the tab, it’s my treat.” she smiled.

Indra snapped himself out of his stupor, thanking her before taking a croissant from her outstretched hand.

“About your brother—”

“What about him?”

“Well, you said we share similar Traits. What kind of Trait does he possess?”

“I’m not one-hundred percent sure, again because he never tells me, but on the rare occasion I’ve seen him use it, it sort of acts like a vacuum. I think it’s some sort of spatial manipulation Trait like mine, which is ‘Gravitational Distortion’. But it has this unsettling black aura like yours.” she explained.

Indra frowned. It had occurred to him that more Sirens could have possibly escaped from their imprisonment. Usha was living proof of that. It concerned him to think that there were other potential hosts out there. He shook his head. No, I can’t come to that kind of conclusion without gathering more information. It could just be that the vacuum is creating a black aura, not the influence of a Siren.

“What’re you thinking about?” she asked staring at him inquisitively.

“Oh, I”—he searched for a reasonable explanation—“was just wondering why some of the Hyenas still wear their Conduits?”

“They don’t really do much once you get to that level. Most of them just keep the jewelry in as reminders to show the recruits how far they’ve come. It’s actually kind of sweet. My brother’s really attached to his.”

“You seem to really care about him.”

“I do,” she gave him a sad smile. “Do you have any siblings?”

“I have a sister. Sometimes she can be frustrating to deal with, but I mirror your sentiment. I wouldn’t know what to do without her.”

“Looks like we have more in common than I thought. Where is she stationed?”

“She’s been sent to the frontlines; Matriarch 03 to be precise. I’m not too worried about her safety though. She’s a mechanic so they won’t be deploying her into any active combat zones. My guess is that they’ll have her repairing weaponry and armor; possibly those DIVE Suits that Stanley mentioned. What about yours?”

“He’s stationed in Yoru, acting as Amagi Sól’s head of security at the moment,” she said proudly.

“Wow, that’s impressive. So I’m guessing he’s not just any old Homunculus then.”

Prasanna grinned, slightly irritated. “As proud of him as I am, it still stings that he became a Hyena before me. I’m the older sibling; I should be the one acting like a role model to him. He should be looking up to me, right?”

Indra nodded his head in agreement.

She sighed. “We should finish these before they get cold.”

He gladly agreed, taking reserved sips from the warm drink, the bitter undertones of cocoa cut by the sweetness of sugar and steamed milk. It was a lively morning. Families were out and about, enjoying the nice weather. Pet owners were walking their dogs down the street. The smell of fresh bread wafted through the air, coming from the bakery across the street. The two Homunculi stared wistfully at the scene. I haven’t had a moment like this in a while. A smile crept up Indra’s face.

They finished their cups, thanking the waitress before leaving. Indra followed Prasanna as she eagerly led him to the outskirts of the city, to a hillside overlooking the streets below. A pleasant breeze was blowing, the cool wind causing the grass to gently sway back and forth. Prasanna rested at the base of a tree, imploring Indra to join her. He sat next to her, enjoying the fresh air.

“I found this spot a few days ago, while they were fixing up the arena. It’s a nice place to think, or just experience the quiet y’know? Get away from the stressors of life.”

Indra chuckled. “Stress is life, what purpose is there when we don’t have goals we’re working towards?”

“You really think so? That’s kind of depressing. You can find meaning in lots of things. For example, look at those birds up in the branches. What do you think their lives are like? They eat, they sleep, they fornicate, they reproduce and take care of their offspring, and then they die. Sure, they have different priorities, but does that make their lives meaningless?”

Indra looked up at the birds merrily chirping away. He understood what she meant, but he couldn’t accept it.

“It’s not the same thing. You’re comparing apples to oranges.”

“Am I? Okay, I’ll entertain your way of thinking. Suppose the value of life is purely based on goals. Regardless of this fact, having goals doesn’t necessitate the addition of stress in your life. I’m not saying a little bit of stress isn’t healthy. It keeps you from being complacent. But a life full of stress and anxiety seems more detrimental to your goals.”

She made a good point. What exactly was he gaining by staying with Lunar Gate? What were his aspirations? Did he have any? He had just made a bold claim with no supporting evidence to back it up.

“There you go again. What’s with that face? Every time I look at you, you always have the same expression, like you’re deep in thought. You just scrunch your face and stare off into the distance.”

“Sorry, I’m not ignoring what you’re saying. It’s the opposite, really. I’m not so sure what my goals are,” he grinned sheepishly.

“That’s fair, not everyone has their lives figured out. We can start by planning it out now. Let’s try some simple stuff first. Who are the important people in your life?”

“My friends and my sister; they’re the closest I have to a family.”
“Great! So maybe you can start there. Any significant others?”

“Um, not anymore.”

“Ah, youth, it can be so wonderful, yet such a brutal teacher.”

“We’re the same age.”

“Nevermind that,” she blushed. “Which Matriarch did this heartbreaker come from?”

“Matriarch 07.”

“Right, same Matriarch, how would it work otherwise? Where are they stationed now?”

“They’re still back in Matriarch 07, probably neck deep in research.”

“Research?” She raised an eyebrow.

“Yeah, she’s the head researcher there.”

Prasanna frowned. “Um, exactly how old is she?”

“Twenty-six, I think.”

“Maybe it was for the best.”

Indra sighed deflatedly. “Maybe.” He adjusted himself to lie down on the grass, staring up at a cloudless sky. “I’m curious, what’s your goal?”

Prasanna thought for a moment, becoming silent. She pulled her knees close to her chest. “It’s more of a dream, really. Just wishful thinking. I’ve got my citizenship, so I can live in the country and own property now. I want to own a little tea house. My parents used to own a small shop in Dvaita. It always made me happy to hear my mother’s soft singing as she made each cup. My father was a stubborn man, but he was loved by the community. He built up a good rapport with them, and the business thrived for a few years.”

“What happened?”

“Resources were running scarce in the country on account of the virus. Food, medicine, and shelter; people from other towns would come and seek refuge or ask for supplies. We shared as much as we could, but it was never enough. They came at night and raided our town. They pillaged and murdered indiscriminately. No one was safe. Those savages burned our home while my parents were trapped inside. I should have died that night with them. The only reason I didn’t was because of my little brother. He had snuck out of the house to watch the frogs down by the quarry and I followed him to make sure he was safe. Such a stupid reason, but he saved my life.”

She dug her nails deep into her legs, drawing blood. Tears rolled down her cheeks, as she clenched her jaw tightly to keep from sobbing. Indra sat up, reaching out with a hesitant hand, placing it gently on her shoulder.

“I’m sorry.” It was the only thing he could think of.

Prasanna’s lips quivered, finally parting.

Shit, what do I do? Shit, shit, shit. Why would you ask her that question, you moron? Look what you did! Do something! Anything! Indra delicately wrapped his arms around her, consoling her as she sobbed uncontrollably into his shirt. After a few minutes passed, the crying subsided; her tears had run dry. Prasanna refused to look at Indra, burying her face in his chest, her ears beet-red.

“I’m sorry, I’m a mess. You probably think it’s stupid anyway, my dream.”

“N-no, you’re fine. I’d love to hear more about it.” Yes, encourage her to reminisce about her dead parents more. What is wrong with you today?

She looked up at him, wiping her eyes. “Really?”

“Yes, really.”

“I always imagined I’d open a shop by the shore. Picture it, gentle waves lapping against the shore, sea salt spray in the air, and a warm cup of tea to enjoy as you watch the beachgoers enjoy their day. That’s all I want.”

Indra smiled, picturing the scene she had described. “Well, if you do manage to open one, I’d like to be your first customer.”

“I’ll pencil you in for a specially reserved tasting before the grand opening,” she chuckled.

“I like the sound of that.”

“Have you thought of something?”

“What?”

“Your dream. I’m telling you all this personal stuff about myself. I think it’s only fair that you let me in on your plans.”

“I like your idea. I think that maybe a quiet life isn’t so bad, as long as I’m with the people that I care about. Living a fulfilling life is about what satisfies you, right? I’d be content with it.”

“Looks like this was a fruitful endeavor, after all.”

“Yeah, it seems like it.”

They sat quietly, basking in the tranquility, and enjoying each other's company, watching the birds as they soared through the sky, living meaningful lives.

Hey, everyone. This is going to be the last daily update for a little bit. I ran out of my backlog. I'm going to go back into hibernation and I'll come back with new chapters probably in May after finals. If you've read this far, and you enjoy the story please consider leaving a review or a rating for me either here or on Royal Road.

1