Chapter 38: Bird Cage
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

September 19, 4021 09:30 [Matriarch 04- Sun Rock]

“Match one! Our first candidate is a Homunculus that can create illusory walls of defense and slip past even the most vigilant of eyes. Talk about elusive! It’s Xiāoshī!! Our second candidate is a master of wind and flight! Please put your hands together for Kuvira!! Will her knowledge of the skies be enough to seize victory? Or will she be caught unaware by Xiāoshī? Let’s find out! Candidates! Please make your way onto the pitch!”

The crowd cheered even louder, increasing the decibel meter on-screen by several levels. Two Crows came to lead the candidates down to the arena. Kuvira gave Indra and Garou a resolute nod and left with the Crows alongside Xiāoshī.

The announcer’s booth overlooked the field below, giving Indra an ample view of the match about to unfold. After a minute or so of searching, Indra was able to make out four figures walking onto the field. Kuvira had changed into her DIVE Suit. She wore a winged headdress and a flowing coat of white with long flaps of fabric that caught the wind. They acted like sails to make up for her restricted flight capabilities. The notches on her arm served to draw in air and compress it inside a pressurized chamber from what Indra could remember Kuvira explaining to him regarding her Trait. She looked determined, though Indra had a lingering suspicion that her demeanor wasn’t because of the match at hand. Kuvira’s exchange with Prasanna had clearly fired her up, the nervousness she came into the arena with practically nonexistent now.

She steeled herself, bouncing lightly on her toes. Xiāoshī exhaled slowly, closing his eyes as he did so. The fighters stood patiently, mindful of one another, waiting for Grisha to give them the go-ahead. The crowd continued its attack on their eardrums, proving ineffective, however, as they closed themselves off to the rest of the world.

“Candidates, ready yourselves!!”

All the muscles in Kuvira’s body tensed; Xiāoshī remained relaxed and fluid. Indra could tell just by looking at Kuvira’s stance that she wanted to end the match quickly, eager to face Prasanna.

“Begin!!!”

Kuvira released a compressed gust of wind, propelling her across the field. Xiāoshī raised an arm, suddenly disappearing from view. In response, Kuvira aimed a pillar of air at the ground, rerouting her trajectory. As she traveled high above the invisible wall, she was able to scan the entirety of the field beneath her, spotting her opponent staring at her from behind his wall. He quickly shifted the defensive wall overhead to prevent her from bearing down on him.

“Looks like Xiāoshī’s starting off the match with some defensive maneuvers! How will Kuvira get past his barriers?!” Grisha announced.

Kuvira scoffed, diving at full speed toward the invisible ceiling Xiāoshī had created. She released another gust of wind, spinning to propel herself in an arc. She rolled underneath the ceiling in mid-air, driving her heels into Xiāoshī’s ribs. His tactic had proved ineffective.

Even with the DIVE Suit equipped, the impact had to have hurt, given Kuvira’s speed. Xiāoshī would leave here with some major bruising, at the very least. He wore a shocked expression as he rolled over, clutching his side. The invisible barrier disappeared, a distorted shimmer appearing above him before it collapsed.

“Ooh! That’s gotta hurt, ladies and gentlemen! Expert aerial maneuvering by Kuvira! How will Xiāoshī get out of this one?!”

Xiāoshī stumbled as he picked himself up, gritting his teeth. He spread his hands wide, bringing them together in a swift motion. Kuvira’s reacted without hesitation, diving forward mere seconds before two invisible walls slammed together, a resounding echo coming from her previous position.

Indra wondered whether Kuvira truly would’ve been flattened or simply held in place. Xiāoshī didn’t seem to have it in him to cause unnecessary harm, a subtle hesitation in his attacks. The others may not have picked up on it, but the Hyenas surely did. Grisha in particular wore a sour expression.

“I’m not going to let you win that easily!” Xiāoshī exclaimed.

“I wasn’t counting on it!” Kuvira responded. “Gale Cutter!” She swiped her arm in a diagonal motion. A blade of compressed air swiftly cut across her opponent’s torso. The fibers in Xiāoshī’s DIVE Suit began to come undone as the blade sliced past his armored plating. He grimaced, raising another barrier to shield himself from consecutive attacks.

“Another powerful attack from Kuvira! Xiāoshī has been on the defense this entire time! What is he planning on doing to counter?! Will he be able to change the tide of battle, or will he succumb to Kuvira’s vicious arsenal of attacks?”

Kuvira attempted to run around the barrier unsuccessfully. Xiāoshī had placed a hand on the ground, extending his free arm to guide the barrier around in order to stay between them. Kuvira ground her teeth in frustration. Leaping above him once more. Indra leaned forward, wondering if Xiāoshī would do anything to stop her from executing the same attack as before. Xiāoshī’s eyes flitted upward for a second, maneuvering the barrier into position, above his head. He hasn’t learned a thing! Indra shook his head sighing, as Kuvira dove with a grin.

“Bingo.”

Indra’s head snapped to Prasanna, a smug expression on her face.

“Watch,” she told him.

He turned his attention back to the battle below, a sudden shift in the atmosphere of the fight. Kuvira’s momentum slowed. She looked confused as the barrier above Xiāoshī dissipated into nothing. As she closed in on Xiāoshī, a smile flashed across his face as he rolled out of the way.

Kuvira’s eyes widened as she attempted to redirect herself, releasing a pillar of air below her to escape. But it was too late. Distorted, semi-translucent bars sprung from the ground, the gap between them minuscule as they reached high above her, connecting at the top.

“What do you think? I call it the Bird Cage,” Xiāoshī laughed, stepping back to admire his work.

“Shit!” Indra clutched his head, watching as Kuvira violently bashed her shoulder against the prison bars. Was there no way out?

“Hahaha! Look at her! She’s trapped!” Kaluza laughed.

Indra shot him a dirty look. There had to be a way for her to break free.

“Look, if you forfeit now we can move on with the rest of the matches, otherwise, this cage is going to close in on you till it crushes you. The choice is yours. It’s up to you to decide how you want this to go,” Xiāoshī explained to Kuvira.

“Looks like this is it, folks! Kuvira seems to be trapped in a cage of Xiāoshī’s design! Can this little bird break free in time, or will she perish in captivity? We’ll find out soon enough!” Grisha exclaimed, teetering in her seat giddily.

Kuvira glared at Xiāoshī, gritting her teeth, trying to figure out a way to escape. She hadn’t come this far just to lose in the first round, especially after talking a big game in front of everyone. She still had someone to reach—to surpass. She had something to prove.

Kuvira analyzed the cage holding her. She couldn’t directly see through the bars but the slits in-between lacked any form of distortion. Xiāoshī must have stretched his Trait thin if the results had such visible imperfections.

Kuvira’s mind raced. If she were to launch herself at any side of the cage, the force of her impact would be evenly distributed across the bars, thus dampening the attack. However…her eye’s lit up. She grinned nervously as the distorted cage closed in on her. She was excited at the prospect of trying something new, although she would only have one shot at breaking free. This had to work, otherwise, her chances of facing Prasanna were zero.

She focused a certain amount of Shakti on each of her fingertips, swirls of wind spinning rapidly like drills. Kuvira steadied her breathing, relegating the energy to a single point on five consecutive bars. She could feel the ceiling touching her head now, as the cage compressed further. It was now or never.

Kuvira’s eye’s flashed wildly as she released five spirals of wind, shattering one side of the cage. She dove through the opening, propelling herself high into the air. The Homunculus spotted her opponent, the momentary shock on his face turning to annoyance as he crossed his arms to guard himself. A thick wall appeared in front of him, shoddily masking his appearance as a layer of distortion formed across it.

“What’s this? Kuvira has broken free of containment!”

Kuvira made no attempt to dive, focusing an enormous amount of Shakti in her hand. She spun and stretched the wind like pottery, taming its violent coils and unruly whisps until a staff was formed, leading down to a point. Kuvira cocked back her arm with great effort, sweating as she fought to keep the spear under control. She aimed downward, hurling the weapon with all her might.

“Cyclone Spear!”

1