Chapter 44: Chain of Thorns
3 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

September 20, 4021 10:40 [Matriarch 04- Sun Rock]

Thorned roots emerged from below the arena, chasing after Kaluza as he jumped back. “Cursed Thorn Release,” Indra recalled Emil explaining to him. Their match had started an hour later than planned on account of the damage Prasanna had caused to the arena. Kuvira had been taken away on a stretcher, surrounded by Vultures and Crows attempting to stem the bleeding as they transported her to the emergency room. It was hard to believe just moments before, Prasanna was trying to kill her opponent given the concern on her face now.

She bit her nail, her mind far from the match. The animosity she felt for Kuvira and by extension, Garou, had dissipated. The fires of her anger had been quenched and their feud had concluded in the wake of the match. 

Indra observed her with intrigue. The reason behind her disdain for Kuvira was now known to all. She had refrained from disclosing the details to Indra prior, yet she was fine revealing it to everyone in the arena somehow. Prasanna must have known that Indra would come to an apt conclusion given the details of her life that she had already revealed to him. There must have been something else that she opted to keep hidden from him. Indra thought it better not to pry further, however. He had his own secrets to keep. His attention was brought back to the arena when he heard a loud crash.

Blood ran down one side of Kaluza’s face as he panted heavily. An array of flora, consisting of trees, thorns, and exotic plants swayed behind Emil. The combination of attacks he possessed seemed limitless. Some plants were carnivorous, containing acid reserves that could dissolve organic matter, while others carried poisons that could be extracted and laced into deadly needle-thin projectiles or other plant extremities. Indra didn’t see a way Kaluza could overpower his current opponent. He had no avenue of entry in order to get in close; every opening was quickly closed off by thorned walls, dripping with poison. A few pricks and the match would be over.

Even the immune systems of Homunculi weren't invulnerable to the effects of poison, but Indra knew firsthand how much alcohol one needed to consume in order to feel the onset of intoxication. For Kaluza to be feeling the effects of partial paralysis so soon meant the poison from Emil’s plants was particularly potent.

The current outcome was expected. Emil had consistently proven himself a top contender for the spot of Hyena, scoring well above the other candidates in marksmanship, Shakti control, and combat prowess. Kaluza was just another stepping stone for him. Indra watched Emil carefully, taking note of his demeanor and mannerisms; these would help him prepare a competent strategy to counter his thorns.

The problem that Emil’s Trait posed for Kaluza was telling. He needed open space in order to cultivate Shakti before releasing his explosive attacks. Emil’s ‘Overgrowth’ made that sort of movement almost impossible, covering a vast amount of the arena. This also came with the unintended side effect of crippling the stadium’s speaker system, much to Grisha’s dismay.

In addition, even using the energy he had stored prior to the match, Kaluza’s Impact was only effective if the attack came into physical contact with its target. With no way to reach Emil, Kaluza’s best bet was to punch through the barrier of thorns that protected him. This, however, would be an inadvisable approach since he would be afflicted by poison upon contact.

Kaluza flipped through fast-approaching tendrils, moving from side to side in hopes of tripping up the relentless greenery. His efforts seemed futile, however, as the thorns continued to follow him without hesitation. 

The efficiency with which Emil commanded each extension of flora was admirable. Each part worked in tandem to cut off his opponent’s routes, forcing Kaluza to make abrupt and awkward evasive maneuvers. At this point in the fight, Kaluza was operating purely on instinct, doing everything in his power to keep his distance. 

His efforts were commendable, but in the end, there was only so much one could do in the face of overwhelming talent. Kaluza’s movements were starting to become sluggish as he was nicked by more passing thorns.

He ground his teeth in frustration as Emil watched him closely, maintaining a calm disposition.

“Shit. Why is it that every time I learn something new you bastards keep pushing me to my limits? I was saving this for him.” Kaluza crouched low, pivoting on all fours.

Indra recognized the stance. Back in their first match, he had gone berserk, jumping around the arena wildly. Was he going to use the same attack? It wouldn’t do him any good in this scenario. So, what was he planning?

Steam escaped from Kaluza’s mouth just like Indra had predicted. He moved quickly, suddenly evading the tangle of thorns with uncharacteristically deft precision. Slipping through swiftly closing openings, he changed his trajectory without delay as carnivorous plants snapped at him and enormous redwoods slammed into the earth around him. Kaluza nimbly scaled the trees, using them as a launch point to get in close to Emil.

“Peek-a-boo!” Kaluza exclaimed.

Emil crossed his arms to guard, enveloping himself in solid oak, just before Kaluza shattered the thick bark, yelling, “Impact: Kinetic Release—left hand!”

The force lifted Emil off the ground. His flight was cut short by a bed of shrubbery that extended upwards to catch him. He directed the bushes to carry him away in a wave as Kaluza pounced in his direction.

Usha, you’re not—

“No, I am not tampering with the match. I sensed your disdain for such tactics previously, so I’ve refrained from interfering. Just know that in war there is no room for honor…only victors and the forgotten.”

Indra watched Kaluza, cautiously. What drove him to such lengths? For a rematch? Indra supposed that it wasn’t any different from Prasanna’s motives. But was that the case here? Kaluza disliked Indra, that much was true. But he wasn’t trying to avenge his dead family. To fight this hard, tooth and nail, just for a chance at the top—what were his intentions?

He keeps evolving with each new obstacle. If Tengri had let us fight to completion, would I have won? Maybe he would have been a better host, huh?

“He does not suit my ambitions. This being is not easily swayed.”

Does that mean you consider me weak-willed?

“Not at all. He is stubborn. He refuses to change his ways, electing to push through every adversity with sheer will and determination. It is…an unenviable disposition to have. I suppose he operates under an altruistic code, but we do not live in such a world. You, however, are adaptive, and considerate of your immediate situation. We’re not so different in that regard.”

Pragmatic—really?

“You have your moments.”

A smile crept up Indra’s face, turning into a frown. Why was he entertaining praise from a Siren? He shook his head, ignoring all other distractions. He had to see how this match would unfold.

Emil had wrapped his fists in barbed vines, throwing a furious combo of punches as his opponent moved in closer to striking distance. Kaluza disregarded the poisonous thorns, slipping through most of Emil’s attacks.

Stray jabs grazed his face on a few occasions, but he simply grinned, licking his wounds. Emil shifted his stance, causing a sea of vines to descend on Kaluza’s location and encase him in a tomb of thorns.

Indra waited, learned enough that he knew not to expect a simple victory in this arena. There was a certain atmosphere in this place that brought out the absolute best in each Homunculi. Indra knew Kaluza wasn’t done yet. He wouldn’t stop until he dropped dead.

The prison of thorns went up in a blaze, immolated in auburn as a figure emerged from the flames, laughing maniacally.

He doesn’t have a Trait based in fire—how is he doing that?

“I told you, did I not? Sheer will and stubbornness. He has been compressing his blood vessels to move and react faster. A side effect of that is the superheating it is causing in his body. Heat moves where it is coldest—outside his body.”

And he doesn’t feel a thing?

“He may afterward, but right now—his mind is set on only one thing.”

Indra grimaced.

“Beast Flow: First Form—Acinonyx.” Kaluza burst forth, accelerating towards his opponent like a wild animal. He leapt over a sea of trees, swiping at the carnivorous flora before he clashed with Emil. There was something visceral and ferocious about the way he fought, tearing through vines and ripping apart poisonous plants that attempted to creep behind him.

Emil and Kaluza smashed into rock, concrete, and mud. They fought on the ground and in the sky, alternating between a variety of attacks. Emil wrapped Kaluza in a vine of thorns, spinning him rapidly. Kaluza’s head shattered against the arena walls as Emil dragged him viciously across the stadium.

“Impact: Potential Conservation,” Kaluza mustered, weakly.

“Chain of Thorns,” Emil signed, pulling him close. Emil let loose blow after blow, leaning into every strike as he broke Kaluza down.

Despite taking such a beating, Kaluza refused to bend the knee. He snapped out of his daze, viciously clamping his jaw on Emil’s outstretched arm. Emil grit his teeth, unwilling to cry out in pain. The bite drew blood, the force causing Emil’s grip to slip. 

Using this to his advantage, Kaluza grabbed Emil’s collar, hurling him to the ground. Emil’s initial landing was soft, his front cushioned by an inclined bed of grass. His opponent did not afford him the luxury of recovering, however, landing on top of him with a drop kick. Indra bit his lip as Emil’s elbow snapped forward.

Emil ignored the pain, spinning around and driving a sharpened root through Kaluza’s sternum. Kaluza didn’t even register that he’d been impaled, punching down.

“Impact: Kinetic Release—right hand!”

Emil raised another wall of thorns, though Kaluza broke through it with ease.

“Impact: Kinetic Release—left hand!”

Emil repeated his actions once more. The battle had become a war of attrition now, neither side allowing the other to gain the upper hand. It would come down to who ran out of stamina first. Would Kaluza break down Emil’s defenses or would he succumb to the build-up of poison in his system first?

“You’re really dragging everything out of me, aren’t you? Beast Flow: Second Form—Canis!” Kaluza yelled.

He swiped at the wall of thorns with a clawed hand, tearing through plant fiber and flesh. Emil shouted in pain as claw marks were etched into his chest. His wounds oozed as Kaluza dug his hand further in. Indra leaned over the railing, eyes wide. He couldn’t look away. How was Kaluza able to imitate Garou’s ability?

As Indra tried to understand the mechanisms behind Kaluza’s Trait, an exchange on the battlefield left the crowd speechless.

“Karmic Reprisal.”

Emil smiled. His wounds suddenly disappeared, reappearing on Kaluza. 

If it were any other opponent, they would have collapsed then and there in a pile of agony, but Kaluza looked unbothered by the sudden development, much to Emil’s bewilderment.

“You’re strong—I’ll give you that. But my ambitions are greater than yours. If you’re ready to end it here, just let me know. I’ll make it quick.”

Emil moved back swiftly, swiping his hand. A wave of shrubs converged on his location carrying him away from Kaluza. Kaluza paid him no heed, searching for something. His nose twitched as he sniffed around the area.

Emil’s eyes went wide as he leaned forward, propelled by the wave of shrubs, trying to reach Kaluza once again. But it was too late. Kaluza struck the earth with his functioning hand, digging deep into the soil before pulling out a pulsating mass with millions of roots stemming from it.

“I was wondering how one person could control all of this,” he motioned to the surrounding flora. “Guess this is a control center of sorts. Hmm, what would happen if I did…this!” he grinned, crushing the mass in his hand.

Instantly, the flora Emil had summoned from the earth shriveled up and died. He glared at Kaluza, a look of triumph on the latter’s face. Emil pressed his palms together. His eyes glowed as he separated his palms slowly until a sword of grass manifested in his hand.

“Viridian Blade.”

Kaluza’s hair suddenly stood on end. The runes carved into the blade’s fuller, pulsed with a mysterious energy. Whether it was made of grass or metal, this sword would pierce through anything without issue. Although Kaluza was ignoring the pain, it wouldn’t do him much good if he was cleaved in two or skewered any further. His body wouldn’t be able to support him any longer.

It’s coming to a close. Do you think he can win?

“It is difficult to say. Every move he makes must be carefully considered and deliberately made. Considering he can only fight with three appendages now, his chances are slim.”

But not impossible?

“Not impossible. Watch closely.”

The two sprinted across the field, clashing in the center. Emil released a flurry of jabs and sideswipes, all of which Kaluza evaded by a hair’s breadth. They were intertwined in a series of back-and-forth exchanges, neither quite meeting the mark. The tension was palpable as one mistimed step could mean the end.

“Divination Dance.”

Razor-sharp leaves emerged from Emil’s sword as it swept through the air. He pivoted around, executing a number of complex maneuvers. The leaves cut through Kaluza’s shoulder, barely missing his neck.

Kaluza flipped around frantically, side-stepping a number of thrusts and downward swings in tandem with the deadly leaves. The force of each sword strike rippled through the air as Kaluza looked for an opening.

Emil thrust the sword forward once more, leaves rushing from the tip. Kaluza spun around, flanking him from the right. Emil swung his sword to the side, sweeping the area. To his surprise, standing atop the flat of the sword was Kaluza, grinning as he kicked his temple.

Emil staggered, turning the blade vertically, and swinging up, just as Kaluza kicked off of it. At the peak of the blade’s arc, Kaluza hit the ground running. He lunged forward, grabbing Emil’s wrist and crushing it.

Emil dropped the blade, switching hands. Gritting his teeth, he swung the sword under his ensnared arm.

This was the opportunity Kaluza had been waiting for. His eyes flashed as he flipped over the sword, swiping at Emil’s neck. The front of his DIVE Suit was painted red. Vultures and Crows rushed the field. Indra looked away. There was nothing more to be seen.

1