Chapter 47: War of Ideas
4 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

September 21, 4021 12:00 [Jade Temple- Heavenly Stage]

Indra rolled out of Kaluza’s path of trajectory swiftly. In a matter of seconds, Kaluza had nimbly flipped onto the back wall, bending his knees into a crouch before kicking off of it and striking Indra.

“Impact: Kinetic Release—left foot!”

The force traveled through Indra’s crossed arms, sending him crashing through pillars of jade. He found his footing quickly, pushing off a side wall and landing on one of the many platforms of the Heavenly Stage.

“Oh! Kaluza is the first to strike! Indra looks unfazed, however! Let’s see how he responds!” Grisha exclaimed.

The stage’s construction was different from that of Sun Rock’s due to the monks’ focus on training at varied elevations. In addition to the platforms, several scaffolds and floating pillars made up the terrain of the Heavenly Stage, necessitating a different kind of maneuverability to navigate the landscape. Kaluza seemed to adapt quickly to the change in scenery, however, accumulating speed and momentum as he spun around the pillars.

Indra loosed arcs of black fire at Kaluza, though the latter managed to evade the dark flames by launching himself to other pillars at just the right moment, preserving his momentum as he soared across the arena.

Their attacks clashed; the collision sent molten ripples of energy throughout the arena as fists of black met fists of auburn.

Kaluza grinned, taunting Indra as they exchanged blows at speeds indiscernible to the human eye. “What’s the matter? Can’t keep up?”

“It’s the opposite actually, I’m starting to get bored.” Indra blocked and evaded the strikes thrown at him, pivoting on the balls of his feet as he unleashed a furious combo of attacks, targeting Kaluza’s chin, throat, and stomach. He ducked under a wild punch, countering with a sweep. Kaluza’s legs went out from underneath him and he fell supine.

Indra punched down with an igneous fist. The flames ignored Kaluza’s guard, spreading across his body as he broke through the floor, landing on a platform below. Kaluza quickly rolled to the side, avoiding Indra’s feet as he landed heavily beside him. He allowed the flames to continue burning on his suit, unaffected by the heat.

“What a quick exchange! I could barely see it! Things are heating up, folks!” Grisha screamed into the microphone, pumping up the crowd.

The steam from Kaluza’s mouth thickened as he crouched low, curling his hands into claws. “Beast Flow: Second Form—Canis!” He made several swipes at Indra, but the latter flipped through an opening in the attacks.

“Petal Three: Devil’s Convergence,” Indra said calmly. A raven’s wing emerged from the space between his shoulder and spine, matched by a black ring that floated around his wrist. The punch struck Kaluza’s shoulder guard, though Indra meant to strike his back. Kaluza had turned a hair faster than Indra could strike, saving himself by the skin of his teeth. Still, he was forced back by the immense pressure, colliding with numerous jade pillars before landing on the edge of a platform on the opposite end of the Heavenly Stage.

Blood dripped from Kaluza’s head as he lifted himself up shakily with one arm, the other flopping lazily. His breathing was ragged. Clenching his teeth, he gripped his dislocated arm tightly, snapping the ball back into the socket in one swift motion. He flexed his hand, bending his elbow to return feeling into his arm. He glared at Indra.

“You think you’re so much better than everyone else, huh?” Kaluza grimaced.

Indra crossed his arms, raising an eyebrow.

“The weak will be culled if left to their devices,” Kaluza quoted. “I told you I’d show you that you’re wrong, didn’t I?”

“And what exactly does this prove? I don’t see a connection—”

“You’re only trying to save your own skin! You’re looking out for yourself and acting in a way that benefits your own self-interests. I’m trying to bring about change in this country!”

Indra scoffed. “As I should. What makes you think I care about anything other than self-preservation? This isn’t some fairytale that your grandmother might’ve told you when you were younger. The world doesn’t run on blind optimism and guarantees of a better future.” Indra pointed at Kǔ Shén and the nobles. “Unless you’re born into power like them, you’ll never be able to change this country.”

The crowd started to quiet down, the candidates' conversation piquing their interest. Kaluza spit to the side, wiping the blood from his mouth. “I don’t disagree with what you’re saying. I understand that there’s a difference between the ruling class and everyone else…but that isn’t going to stop me. I’ll rise through the ranks and change the status quo from the inside. No noble or Oligarch is going to stand in the way of my goals. And I’m especially not going to take shit from a guy that acts like their lap dog!”

The spectators began to whisper amongst themselves, a wave of unrest sweeping over the crowd.

Indra shrugged. “Fine, have it your way. I don’t know how defeating me accomplishes anything to further your argument but I’ll humor you.” He eyed the spectators, their whispers devolving into discord. “If it’s about principle and the strength of your convictions, are you truly powerful enough to stand by your claims, even as others try to tear it down? Or are you just spouting nonsense because you’re naive, still holding on to a nonexistent hope that you can somehow elicit change in this country?”

“The world isn’t a wonderful place, I get it. It’s not even close to ideal, especially outside the walls of Yuèliàng, but we have to start somewhere. This is our home, and the systems that've been established continue to benefit those jerk-offs while cutting us down at the heel!” Kaluza exclaimed.

Indra’s lips twitched. “My home is nothing more than ash and ruin. What happens in this country isn’t any of my concern. And what exactly are you trying to accomplish by revealing that you plan to start a revolution in front of the very people that can order your execution?”

Kaluza chuckled, only causing Indra to grow more frustrated. Keep quiet! Why would you reveal such an obviously treasonous plan to everyone?

“You’re right. It does sound foolish, doesn’t it? But I’m not trying to start a coup nor am I encouraging revolts in the streets. I’ll work my way up, crawl through the mud, and claw my way through the ranks if that’s what it takes to change this country.”

“That’s a nice sentiment to have, but it’s never going to happen. One person can’t change a hierarchy so deeply ingrained in our society. You need supporters, and I mean those with real political influence behind them. None of these aristocrats and nobles—the who’s who of society, will support your endeavor in dismantling a system that benefits their interests and secures their legacies,” Indra stated, shaking his head.

“Maybe so, but there are others like me, who think that the current norms need a refresh. All it takes is one person with a connection, and the rest will fall like dominoes,” Kaluza replied, eyeing the nobles.

Sporadic shouts in agreement from the spectators turned into a unanimous chant from the crowd as they cheered for Kaluza. Even supporters on Indra’s side, Homunculi and humans alike, switched their support. From his seat, Kǔ Shén raised an eyebrow, intrigued by Kaluza’s bold statement. Despite masking their faces, it was clear that the nobles grew uneasy by the crowd's support of Kaluza’s radical ideas, their body language alluding to their disapproval. Kǔ Shén dismissed their concerns, eager to see how the next few minutes would unfold.

“The people have found their champion,” Usha remarked.

Looks like it, doesn’t it? Let’s see if their champion’s bite is as convincing as his bark.

“Show me everything you’ve got then,” Indra challenged him. “Prove to me that you can support your ideals with your strength.”

Kaluza grinned, invigorated by the shouts of approval from the crowd and Indra’s challenge. His auburn hair flashed, darkening until it turned a shade of maroon. He spread his arms out and relaxed his muscles, appearing more flexible than before. His legs suddenly compressed, the muscles rapidly tightening once more. He released the pressure shooting across the Heavenly Stage.

“Your wish is my command! Beast Flow: Third Form—Grus!” he exclaimed.

Kaluza leaned to his right just as Indra punched, avoiding Devil’s Convergence by a sliver. He feinted with a kick, causing Indra to lean back, and giving him the opportunity to strike. Kaluza curled his fingers into the shape of a bird’s talons, bringing them down in a crescent arc.

They carved into Indra’s flesh, digging past the DIVE Suit’s protective layer. Indra leaned forward, clutching his chest, regretting the reflexive reaction as Kaluza clipped him in the head with a kick, following the flow of motion.

Kaluza unleashed a furious blitz, executing a series of alternating attacks. He intentionally mistimed his strikes, feinting a dodge or attacking from a different position. The tactic proved to be successful, throwing Indra off his rhythm. Indra’s defenses crumbled under the onslaught as he struggled to protect himself. His outcome did not look good.

1