Chapter 3
146 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

AN__: I just finished playing an entire basketball game with my friends, so I'm tired. I hope you're lenient on the errors I might make in this chapter. Thank you.

.

Three months later, 3rd of June 1505.

.

Fifty recruits could be seen running around the training ground. Although they were still doing the fifty laps around the field warm-up, the intensity of the run was different as they were required to run at an accelerated pace the entire time.

Most of the time, they run as a compact group since they're almost all t the same level. However, like any school, class, or training camp, there will always be exceptions far above the rest, and comparing others to them would be unfair.

There are two exceptions in this camp. They are Fred Frost and Laurent Fall.

While the rest were on their 30th lap, they finished their 50th, earning recuperation time. However, not even a minute after sitting down, they were called by the head instructor, Baibald,  ready to start their tortuous daily training.

This phenomenon has been observed since the end of the training camp's first week. They got used to the camp's training intensity faster than the other recruits. If you want to be more specific, two weeks earlier than the rest. So, by the time the rest had adapted to the intensity of their training plan, they had increased their training program's harshness two times.

After the first month, head instructor Baibald took it upon himself to personally train the two geniuses because their presence in the group disturbed the training of the other recruits.

Imagine sharing the same math problem with your 50 classmates and seeing two people in the class casually forcing the teachers to increase the problem's difficulty as it's too easy for them. However, the increase doesn't only apply to the geniuses but to everybody in the class, making everybody unable to keep up.

They were initially having issues dealing with the simple problem. However, you're telling them to solve a more challenging one because two out of fifty people found the original problem too easy. How can you deal with that?

That's how the other recruits felt as the instructors kept on increasing their training intensity because of the two monsters.

The instructors were also having trouble due to the two extraordinary kids. The Marines have this thing called unity. To develop that, the recruit has to do everything together. If somebody makes an error, everybody is getting punished. If somebody makes an achievement, everybody is getting rewarded. They must live together, eat jointly, wear the same clothes, and train together. The appearance of Fred and Laurent disrupted the plans they made before the start of the camp, prompting Baibald to take over the two's training.

That was the beginning of their nightmare.

.

.

"Why do we have to increase the weight?" Complained Fred as he watched head instructor Baibald touch his training clothes. Immediately, he felt the clothes he was wearing increase in weight. Grimly looking at Laurent, Fred struggled to stand as if something heavy was pressing over him. The same thing could be said about Laurent as they wrily smiled, unable to do anything about the situation. Who told their bodies to be so adaptable?

(Images of the training clothes.)

Baibald smiled and looked at his two students while nodding in satisfaction. "This is about 500 KG. I'm sure this weight will occupy you for another two weeks. Also, These are specially made clothes by doctor Vegapunk. It cost me a year's salary to get this for you. You better feel grateful." Exclaimed Baibald, a single tear running down his left eye.

This set of training clothes could be considered a person's second skin. It's very comfortable to wear, and you don't need to take it off when doing anything, even bathing. It's a good match with the head instructor Baibald's Devil-Fruit, the Kiro Kiro no mi.

Baibald can willingly increase his weight and the weight of everything he touches. Thus, a month ago, he ordered these clothes with his money to make the kids training more efficient.

When Laurent and Fred lapped the other recruits by 20 laps earlier, their training uniform's weight was increased to 300 Kg, making their physical prowess even more unimaginable than the rest.

Thinking about the money he spent on these two little devils, Baibald couldn't help but feel saddened. 'Why are they so talented? I can't help but spend on them...' He wailed, promising to increase their training intensity by a large margin.

Baibald has this weird trait where he can't help but spend to help the geniuses he trains increase in strength. Most instructors wouldn't do that, and that's how he earned his title of talented instructor. He went bankrupt at one point because he bought expensive materials to facilitate one of his old student's training. Since then, he opened several businesses to avoid going bankrupt again.

.

'What would I have achieved if my past life's body had the same potential? Maybe I would've been considered the real version of Captain America.' This was Laurent's thought when he first noticed his body's unbelievable talent. However, now, he thinks he underestimated his potential as he adjusted to the new weight.

"Your ability is quite useful, by the way." Complimented Laurent, feeling the new weight of his clothes. Hearing the compliment, Baibald shook his head and responded.

"I know. That's how I became a Marine Captain." Sarcastically responded Baibald with an ugly smile as he gazed at the kid's training uniform.

"You aren't married. You're one the richest officers in the organization. Why are you stressing over a year's worth of salary?" Asked Laurent, jumping up and down, trying to feel how much the weight change would affect his movements.

"What do you know? Do you think money alone can help you find a wife?" Irked by Laurent's words, Baibald snapped. His greatest regret in life is not getting married. He's 35 years old and still hasn't got a wife and children. That alone wouldn't be much of a problem. However, you'd be irked if most of your friends used that information to make fun of you.

"Don't worry, instructor. I'm sure the right one is waiting for you. You just haven't found her yet." Consoled Fred, already used to the increased weight. Although he's been slowed, he can move more easily now.

"He has one in ten thousand chances of meeting the one you're talking about. Don't give him hope for nothing, Fred." Admonished Laurent with a solemn expression.

"Well, at least he still got a chance." Added Fred, a sad look on his face before bursting out laughing while looking at Baibald's exasperated expression.

Sighing at the kids' antics, Baibald shook his head, preparing for the day's training. Sometimes he wonders how a middle-aged man like him became friends with teenagers.

"Get ready! We're about to start." He spoke, signaling the teenagers to get serious.

Saluting after hearing those words, Laurent and Fred hurriedly started doing their day's workout. Although Baibald and the teenagers gradually become close friends after staying together for more than two months, they still know when to joke and when to get serious. That quality is one of the reasons Baibald willingly became friends with them, as he knew they'd never cross the line and disrespect him in any way.

'They're still paying me my money back, though.' Thought Baibald as he watched Laurent and Fred perform their exercises.

.

On the 10th of June 1505

.

"You're going to teach us how to Box?" Asked Fred, looking at Baibald, who stood with him and Laurent in their usual training area.

Nodding at his young friend's words, Baibald started speaking. "Although you'll still be doing physical exercise, I think you have gained enough muscle strength and flexibility to start learning how to fight." He affirmed, smiling at the boys.

"Has any of you learned any kind of martial arts?" He continued asking, hoping for surprises. Looking at the unmoving Fred, Laurent lifted his hand, speaking to Baibald.

"I have learned two martial arts already. Although I'm not excellent at them, I'm at a decent level." He finished, holding two fingers up.

Surprised by Laurent's words, Baibald continued asking. "Can you tell me the names of the two martial arts? I may know about some people who could help you increase your level in them." Nodding, Laurent responded.

"I have learned Taekwondo and Boxing. One where you predominantly use your legs and another where you predominantly use your hands. They complement each other. However, combining them is a hassle as I always ignore and stop using one whenever I spar." Explained Laurent, looking at Baibald.

He's been in this world for more than three months and hasn't only focused on physical exercise. Almost every night, he finds time and re-trains the two arts he had mastered in his past life. Although his past mastery could only be considered average in this world, that's the only fighting style he knows. So, he gritted his teeth and practiced every night even though he was tired after a tortuous day of training.

"Since you're at a decent level, you must know the basics of each of those arts, right?" Asked Baibald, a smile on his face. Seeing Laurent nod, He continued. "That's all you need. Instead of learning fancy tricks, focus on getting the basics to the core. I'll help you with combining the two arts. However, never stop practicing the basics."  He stopped, giving time for Laurent to digest what he said. Instead, he looked at Fred.

"Since you're new to martial arts, I will teach you boxing first." He started, making sure Fred was listening to him; he continued. "Boxing is the most uncomplicated martial arts to start in, but one of the hardest to master. However, as I said to Laurent, the basics are everything. If you master them, you could do any combination you want." Seeing Fred nod, Baibald smiled and signaled them to follow him.

"I'm going to take you to the dojo especially prepared for me to train in. From now, that would be your new training ground." He said, walking off as Fred and Laurent followed him.

.

(Image of the dojo)

.

AN__: I'm going with a weaponless fighting style for the main character. However, I might change that if things don't go too well.

However, I'm trying to write characters as accurately as possible. I would be happy if you have any advice on how I could show the character's personality more.

8