Chapter 6
107 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

.

.

The 26th of February.

.

.

"Do you think they will be okay?" Asked Fred as he sat next to Laurent, sweating like he had finished showering. The same thing could be said about Laurent.

They took their well-deserved rest time after a tortuous workout. However, they did not have instructor Baibald to nag at them today. The man was out on a mission with Commodore Stone, his superior.

A few days back, a group of unidentified pirates attacked an island under Commodore Stone's jurisdiction. They ransacked the place and seemed to be heading to another one, not caring about the Marine's presence.

"Presumptuous!" Yelled the hot-headed Commodore Stone before gathering some of his best subordinates and heading toward the pirate group's next target. However, he still managed to identify the group of pirates before acting. That's why he called the headquarters to ask for assistance, as he might lose his life on this mission.

"Well, they both have strength far surpassing their current rank. So, I think they should be alright." Responded Laurent as he tried his best to catch his breath. Having already taken his shirt off, he tried doing the breathing method instructor Baibald advised him to use after every session.

'Breath-in air for five seconds, hold it for five seconds, and breath the air out for five seconds.' He thought, gradually calming down as he noticed Fred do the same.

"Plus, they asked for backup already. Using the new ship Vegapunk built for us, the reinforcement might get there before the fight begins." Added Laurent, his breathing pattern finally returning to normal. "I'm not worried about them. I'm anxious we don't have a concrete training plan while they're gone." He spoke, a worried look on his face.

Looking at his friend after hearing the man's words, Fred suddenly asked. "Why are you worried about growing stronger? You're already at a great level compared to other recruits. However, you always find ways to outwork yourself. Where does that drive come from?"

After listening to his best friend's question, Laurent had to take time and think about how to answer it.

He's been in this world for almost a year and has completely integrated the memories of the old Laurent into one of his own. Through those memories, he understood the kid's helplessness as his loved ones got killed and r*aped in front of him, and he related to him. He understands how it feels like to be the sole survivor of an attack, as he was the same in his previous life.

Laurent was the only survivor of a frightening terrorist attack that killed almost 200 people. Although he managed to get past that traumatizing experience, he understands how the old Laurent must have felt after being rescued. The hate he harbors for the malaligned pirates can be felt when he thinks about that incident.

That's why the current Laurent feels so much respect for Vice-admiral Fall for taking the kid in and treating him like a family member. Although he never met the old man personally, he can confidently say: 'That's my grandpa!' without feeling embarrassed.

The current Laurent watched the showed called One Piece. He knows that not all pirates are inherently evil. However, he must prepare for any scenario as the One Piece world has become an actual world instead of the fictional series he used to read.

That's why he had been pushing himself so hard. He understands the danger of this world, especially the current era he knows nothing about, as it hasn't been developed in the original series.

Looking back at Fred after thinking for a while, Laurent answered.

"I'm training so hard because I'm afraid." He spoke. However, upon seeing his friend's inquiring look, he continued.

"I have seen the ugly side of the world. My parents were killed, in front of me, during a pirate encounter after an old bastard decided that putting the whole world on an aphrodisiac was funny. That's why I'm afraid. I'm terrified of being prey to others without being able to do anything about it." Noticing the emotional look on Fred's face, Laurent smiled and finished his words.

"I don't have a lofty dream, like finding the One Piece or creating a world devoid of danger. I'm not that ambitious. I only want to be strong enough to make people think twice or thrice before making me their enemies."  He finished, looking Fred in the eye. "What about you? You seem more desperate than me." Asked Laurent, laughing as his friend rolled his eyes in annoyance.

"I'm somewhat similar to you. I lost my parents during a pirate attack and only have four little siblings. However, I do have a lofty dream, as you call it." He stopped, looking at the ceiling as if reminiscing.

"I want to create a world devoid of danger for regular, defenseless people. I know it's utopic. However, I'll achieve it or die trying." He finished with a firm look on his face.

Smiling, Laurent got up, extending a hand toward his friend, which the latter took to get up. Nodding his head in appreciation of Fred, Laurent spoke.

"Let's get to training then. We won't achieve those goals by hanging around the Dojo."

.

.

Near Waher Islet.

.

.

"F*ck! What is he doing in Paradise?" Cussed Commodore Stone, looking at the wanted poster in front of him.

(Image of the poster)

"Otis..." Spoke Baibald, trailing his words as images of the past appeared in his mind. "I neared death multiple times. However, my clash with him with the most memorable one." He stopped, smiling.

"He's the reason you got promoted to the Captain rank?" Asked Commodore Stone, remembering the incident that happened back then.

"Yes!" Answered Baibald. "Although I was not his opponent, I managed to hold him off until reinforcement arrived." Pausing, he looked at the upper part of the poster, where the image of an animal could be seen and continued.

"That was before he obtained his devil fruit, the Saru Saru no mi: model Gorilla. He must be on a whole different level now." Imagining how much stronger Otis must have gotten made Baibald frown as he tied his long hair into a ponytail, preparing for the incoming battle.

(Image of Baibald)

*Sigh*

Sighing, Commodore Stone spoke after lighting a cigarette and taking a large puff. "Maybe we'll be able to hold him until a Vice-admiral arrives if we work together." He finished, feeling a headache coming as he thought of ways to hold the threat off his area of jurisdiction.

Although the Commodore can be said to usually be hot-headed, diving into a situation without thinking about the consequences of his actions, his experience in the New World taught him too well. Although that trait can still be seen, you'd never see it in critical situations like this.

As the two highest authorities of Alshaw Island's marine base were thinking and discussing countermeasures and plans for the next battle, sudden noises were heard outside. A moment later, one of their subordinates hurriedly opened the door.

*Boom*

"S-sir!" He saluted, his tone uneven as he was breathing too hard to be able to speak normally. However, the man still hastily talked, not taking his breath. "The Otis pirates are about to enter our range of attack. We managed to catch up to them before they reached Waher Islet." Finally taking his breath, the man looked at his two superiors, waiting for orders.

Nodding after hearing the report, Commodore Stone spoke. "Prepare to engage. We have an advantage over them in the seas since their captain is a devil fruit user. However, don't be too scared. Although they are known to have exterminated a Vice-admiral ship a couple of weeks, reinforcement would not take long to arrive." Seeing his subordinate nod and going out, Commodore stone took his longsword from the table, heading out of the room.

(Image of Stone)

"We only have to hold off for a few hours. I hope Admiral Zephyr can get here on time." Muttered Baibald as he followed Commodore Stone out of the cabin, ready to fight to the death.

4