Chapter 1: Work and a Guest
51 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Walking down the crowded street, Nero carefully looked around. Everything was the same as before. It had been two more days, and he hadn't noticed anything serious. So, he decided to finally go out and take a walk, also to look for a possible job.

However, these days he had a new problem in the form of not being able to sleep. In the first few days in this world, he slept a little. But for the last three days, he couldn't sleep. Although it didn't affect his body, mentally it was hard for him. Since he fully confirmed that he was no longer human, now he didn't need to sleep or rest. His body became like a machine, needing only biomass.

Glancing around, he was constantly watching people. Even though it was sunny and warm, no one seemed to care. They were rushing about their business. Walking across the street, he approached the park. He was still wearing his mask and hood but still attracted some attention. It wasn't just the mask that attracted attention, but his appearance as well. White hair, a rarity, and red eyes added another charm. Although his face was not fully visible, it still made others stare at him.

But he didn't care about that. Picking up his phone and looking at the map, he almost reached his destination. Following the directions, he approached the place where the man in the suit was sitting.

Although everything seemed suspicious, he really needed the money. Other than this method, he found nothing. He could have gone for a line or something similar to that, but he also didn't want to draw attention to his physical capabilities since he didn't know the norm of this world.

According to preliminary estimates, this is still a normal world. Yes, there are differences in the names of the countries or the stories of the world, but the development is very similar. There's also the internet and everything, and entertainment is pretty well-developed too. There's one aspect in which this world is even better.

By Nero's estimation, technology is much better here, but in narrow directions. By searching on the internet to reduce the chance of possible infection, he found something that required minimal contact.

So, looking at the man sitting on the bench, Nero pressed the bell button. As expected, the man in the suit picked up the phone.

Confirming his hunch, he walked toward the man. The other party seemed to notice him, but turned his attention back to the phone.

"That was me calling you, Mr. William. I introduced myself earlier, but will do so again. I'm Nero, and I want to find a job."

Speaking, Nero got William's attention. Turning off the phone, William put it back in his pocket. Nero kept some distance the whole time, though it seems disrespectful. But before he came here, Nero pretended that he had a phobia, so there was almost no problem with that.

William noticed it too and, understanding Nero's situation, he smiled and began to speak.

"So, Mr. Nero, as you have already learned, I am William. Now, since we have met, I would like you to look at the contract. If you agree, just sign. I have a lot more to do so I'd like you to decide quickly."

Taking the contract and pulling away again, Nero began to read all the words without any errors imprinted in his memory. This is also the effect of reinforcement.

It's a job for the guard at the hotel. He'll watch the cameras to make sure nothing happens, and he won't interfere unless it's required. Nero didn't see anything suspicious, only that it also had a non-disclosure clause about the identity of visitors.

Thinking that there was no such thing, he picked up a pen and wanted to sign but stopped again and looked at William.

"Mr. William, I will be alone, as we agreed, right?"

Finally, after a nod from William, Nero signed the contract. This was not a difficult thing to do as it was not difficult to imitate the signature of the original owner.

William replied that he would send him the location of the hotel and he would be able to work tonight. Finally, the case was over, so Nero went back home.

On the way, there were still things as they were, but he didn't seem to belong in this world. Sighing, he headed home. He needs as little contact as possible until he is fully convinced.

He doesn't dare experiment with the virus yet, other than changing his body. Although now his physical strength grows while he eats, the maximum he can do is change one of his arms. However, this also doesn't happen as instantly as the game's hero. Perhaps that's because he hasn't absorbed enough biomass.

Sighing again, he walked down the street with his head slightly down, confused in his thoughts. As he thought, he heard someone shouting something in front of him, but from his thoughts, he didn't pay attention. Soon he felt a slight jolt, as if he had bumped into someone.

His eyes subconsciously turned to the man who was lying on the ground holding his side. The man looked scruffy and was shaking his bag. Nero looked at him hesitantly, then around, and was drawn to the sound in front of him. As he watched there, he saw a young girl running toward him, waving and shouting. But as soon as she saw the man, she immediately began pointing and shouting, "Stop him, he's a thief."

When Nero looked at the man again, he was holding his side up, his eyes quickly moving around to see if there was a police. As it turned out, there wasn't. Seeing that the man was already trying to run, Nero thought for a moment and reached out and grabbed the bag. Good thing he was still wearing his glove. He thought he could hold him off until the woman arrived, at which time the thief had already tried to pull the bag away but was unable to do anything.

Seeing that everyone around him was looking at him and the woman was close, he threw one last look at Nero and then let go and ran off in the direction of the alley. Seeing that the other side had given up, Nero went towards the girl. There were no extra words or anything; he tossed the bag to the girl and went his way.

"Um...Excuse me..." Two seemed to want to say something, but Nero didn't give it a chance and sped up his steps. He didn't want any extra trouble or attention.

"How stingy..."

Although he had already walked far away, he still heard the girl's words. He quickly forgot about it and continued walking. After buying more food on the way home, he finally reached a rather tall building, which puzzled Nero. The place seemed pretty good, as did the apartment. He guessed that the original owner might not have had such an easy life.

Once inside, Nero nodded to the guard and headed to the elevator to go upstairs. But then a woman's voice was heard from the side of the counter, "Sir, there's someone waiting for you, should I get her?" Her words made Nero stop.

"Who is she?" he asked, frantically wondering who would be looking for the original owner. Was it from work, or relatives, acquaintances? These were the thoughts that crossed his mind, but realizing he was in a nervous state, his thoughts moved and he immediately calmed down.

"Huh? She says, she's your cousin. " Should I get her?"

"Well, I'll go, and you tell her my room to come up," answering her, he immediately headed for the elevator.

Going up, he entered the apartment. It was quite spacious, with several rooms, but luckily for him, no one told him he had to pay anything. However, if someone came to evict him, he had no other choice.

The apartment was decorated in a modern style, with an open floor plan and large windows that offered stunning panoramic views of the horizon. The decor was elegant and modern, with a neutral color scheme and minimalist furniture. The living room had a comfortable sectional sofa, a large flat-screen TV, The house had a modern sound system and a fully equipped kitchen with stainless steel appliances and a spacious island that included a breakfast bar.

After putting away his purchases in the refrigerator, Nero went to the window to watch a city, and write about his new relative's arrival. During this time, he pondered how to behave since he didn't know what kind of person the original body was. He briefly considered pretending to have amnesia, but wasn't sure if it would work.

As he was lost in thought, the doorbell rang, causing his heart rate to increase. Despite this, he was able to calm himself down and answer the door. A beautiful and mature woman was standing there, looking at him seriously.

Nero gestured for her to come in, and she walked past him to sit on the couch in the living room. Nero kept his distance from her and asked, "Why are you here?"

The woman replied, "Why is your phone always off? Have you blocked me?" These words caught Nero off guard, that the original owner blocked some people from contacting.

Feeling trapped, he decided not to answer, fearing that it might arouse more suspicion. His silence led the woman to make a cold face, and she expressed her doubts.

"You know, even though you're well-prepared not to take Ava in while she studies, this masquerade of yours is very easy to unmask, so don't play games with me," she continued.

The more the woman spoke, the more Nero realized that he was in a difficult situation.

According to the woman, Ava is a student at a nearby medical university. She used to study in another city and university, but due to her genius, she was recommended to change universities, which she did.

The city where Nero now lives is Hampton. A search on the Internet gave him the details of this city. It has almost 23 million residents, and its most prestigious and famous building is Synergy Medical Center (SMC). Nero became curious about it because he had become a monster and needed to do something about it. He found a lot of information about it quickly.

Before becoming the largest medical university in the city, SMC began as a small clinic that was founded by a group of ambitious young doctors. Within a few years, they were actively developing and inviting new specialists to join their team.

They were constantly looking for new methods of treatment and tried to implement them into their practice. When the clinic became known for its innovative approaches, it received great support from the city government, which allocated funds for its expansion. Soon the clinic became a full-fledged medical center that combined several areas of medicine under one roof.

Synergy Medical Center immediately became known for its philosophy based on the principle of synergy. Here, specialists of different fields work together to find the most effective treatment methods for each specific case. All processes at the university are strictly controlled to ensure the best possible outcome for patients.

However, by digging deeper, Nero found some unconventional things. Rumors are circulating about strange people coming out of the walls of Synergy Medical Center. Some say that unknown personalities appear on campus, only to disappear without a trace. Some claim that dangerous experiments are taking place at the Synergy Medical Center, posing a threat to people's lives. Nero found no confirmation of this, but it alarmed him. It reminded him of the famous names and mad scientists from that game.

The university itself has not commented on these rumors and continues to work as usual, attracting new students and conducting research in various fields of medicine.

And now it turns out that the original owner has not only a cousin but a great-niece.

"Hey, where are you flying? I'm talking to you. Although I know you don't want extra trouble on your head, I also know that you're a responsible and honest person."

His words made Nero stop thinking and listening. Here, to what the woman was saying, it seemed like the original owner wasn't a bad person, though a little stingy.

"I also want her here with you so I can know exactly where she is and if she's all right."

She kept talking, but Nero was already thinking about what to do.

"I'm sorry, but..."

"I'll give you money to look after her."

Without waiting for his words, the woman spoke again. But what she was offering silenced Nero.

"I know you don't go to work and you're looking for work, so you don't have to anymore."

"I got a job." Although it was tempting for Nero to get money without doing anything, if he infected the girl by accident or if this woman suddenly changed her mind, he would be in trouble. And so he tried again to get rid of the problem.

"...Which one?" She asked doubtfully.

"A guard and surveillance in the same place." Nero wanted to end this conversation as quickly as possible.

"Schedule?"

"Um... seven days a week, and from 9pm to morning." Yes, that's the kind of schedule he was given, even though it wasn't a problem for him. He also wanted the other side to finally give it up, but it seemed that some things didn't want to go his way.

"Ah, nothing. She has her last class ending at 9 sharp, so that's fine."

Saying that, she got up and walked toward the door, then stopped again, shot a look at him, and said, "I'll send the money as soon as I get back. Now I have to leave, and one more thing, I hope if anything you'll take care of her, okay?"

Without waiting for Nero to answer, she opened the door and walked out. Nero, meanwhile, just stared at this. After thinking for a while, he went to the window again and watched as, after a while, the woman he knew came out of the apartment and got into a black car. Under his gaze, the car drove away, and he wondered if this wasn't a bad thing?

Eh, it takes a long time to edit -_-

 

 
What do you guys think.
  • Nice! Votes: 5 100.0%
  • Bad Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Verry bad!!! Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 5
1