Chapter 3: Transaction and Humanity
37 4 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Looking around, Nero realized he was in trouble. He had some misgivings and suspicions, but now they were confirmed. It didn't seem like the place of good people, and he was right in the middle of it. His gaze fell on William, who was still smiling and standing on the other side of the table.

Except for those at the table, there were also those standing in the distance and behind the door through which they had come in. Nero wondered what to do, and one of those at the table spoke to William.

"Is that our new watcher you brought in?"

"Yes sir, he also signed the contract so it's up to you."

Ulam replied, which made Nero doubtful as he had clearly and distinctly washed the contract he had read. After the conversation, the same man turned his gaze to Nero.

"Have a seat, we need to clarify a few things before you get to work."

Although Nero was a little nervous when he walked into the room, he soon came to his senses. He took a few steps and sat down on the spot where the leader of the place was pointing.

"So buddy, I'm not going to talk nonsense to you. We've got all the information on you, you can thank William for that."

After these words, Nero's eyes turned to William, who showed a smirk and an arrogant pose.

"Yeah, now you can't even turn down the job. What you will do, he will explain to you."

As he spoke, he raised his hand and William handed him a folder. He didn't even open it, but threw it straight to Nero.

"Take a look," said William, and Nero looked at the picture he was handed. It showed a man and a woman holding hands in the street.

Without saying anything, William waved his hand, and Nero watched as his accomplice stepped forward and began to speak. "As you've already learned, these are your friends," William said. "Your ex-girlfriend and rumored best friend. It's funny to me that they played such a game behind you. But you're still thinking about them. And if you don't do your job as we say, they're likely to get hurt."

Nero received new information about the previous owner of the body, but what happened to him didn't matter anymore. The main thing now was for Nero to keep himself in check so as not to become the epicenter of the destruction of the city.

William seemed to be thinking about something and his smile grew wider. "You don't seem to care about that, then we can only change strategy. What would you do if the police suspected you of killing those two?"

Nero frowned slightly. It seemed like it might cause more trouble than he expected.

"You must understand your situation," said William. "From this day forward, if you disobey, your normal life is over. Besides, we have a lot of brothers in prison, so even there, it won't be all sweet, okay?"

Nero stopped to think about it since he had no other choice. There was another choice, but if he took it, he probably wouldn't go back to his old ways.

He cares about his mental state. After a few seconds of silence, he nodded.

William spoke a few words to the head, and then they left the room. But before he stepped, a voice was heard from behind him. "I'm wondering why you're covering part of your face."

Nero did not answer, but William from the side began to speak. "Sir, he's the kind of man who didn't prevail with his fears, hehe."

Nero was still looking at whoever asked the question. The question was not asked by the one sitting at the table, but by the one in the distance in the chair. Visible was a red glow and some smoke, from a cigar.

Listening to William's answer, he was silent for a few seconds before he spoke again. "I don't think so, our new guy seems complicated." Nero was about to turn and follow William, but the voice made him stop again. "You didn't answer my question."

Nero's head turned to the side, showing half of his masked face and red eyes peeking out from under the hood. "You'd better not know the answer to that question." His voice was calm and unhurried.

Shifting his gaze to William, who was a little pale, he said, "Let's go." Leaving the words behind, he left the room, and William stared at the figure until the other side waved. William nodded a few times and walked out. The door immediately closed behind him.

At this point, the guard outside the door had his gun ready. But when he saw his boss release Nero, he holstered his weapon.

Nero remained silent for several seconds until he heard the silhouette laugh softly. "Hehe, interesting man, very interesting. Do proper research on him; he's definitely not simple." Speaking, he took another drag on his cigar.

"Yes, boss," a voice was heard from outside before another door opened, and one of the men came out.

In the meantime, Nero walked forward as William caught up with him. William's face was a little contorted.

"What the hell are you doing? You know who it is to answer like that. You--"

"I don't care. Show me the place and tell me what I'm going to do." As he spoke, he didn't look at William, already realizing that he wasn't a good man either.

Nero thought about what had just happened. Although he initially wanted to pretend that William's information was correct, when the other party spouted arrogant words, he didn't hold back.

Although he still needed to keep his cool, he didn't mind doing something if he had to. Although it might cause a lot of problems, he had to consider that he wasn't thinking about killing. It was more about giving the other side a warning.

And so, by saying those words, he thought they wouldn't see him as a wimp. Yes, he could follow orders, but if it involved killing someone, he certainly wouldn't do it.

What William said at that moment didn't matter to Nero at all. He already knew the man's true face. As he walked out of the corridors, Nero followed him. William realized that Nero was bluntly ignoring his words and also stopped talking. Calmly and with a cold snort, he showed Nero the way to where he would be working.

After a while, they arrived at the observation room. Two men standing by the door confirmed William's identity upon seeing them. Before going in, William opened the door and warned the two men that Nero was the new employee. Once inside, Nero saw many screens. William directed him to sit down at a chair in front of the screens and explained what to do and when to do it.

Afterwards, William gave Nero a walkie-talkie and explained some points.

"If I address you and say 'code red, number 20', you have to do the following quickly. Press here and here. Then go to the corresponding camera whose number was called. Do you understand?"

"Yes, I understand. But I have one question. Why are there cameras in the rooms? You also said to keep the privacy of your clients. Do you do this?"

Nero had his doubts, which was why he asked such a question. Although he had not been impressed with such things in the past, he was also aware of the prohibition against cameras in rooms.

But William took Nero's question as naive, and his smirk appeared again on his face.

With a voice full of contempt, he spoke.

"It's none of your business. Listen to what to do next. Over there, it shows what number and what key to use to open. If the 'X' sign lights up over here, then you have to do the following. Press here and then here and go to the corresponding camera number. Do you understand?

And don't ask any more questions. Just do what I tell you."

At this point, Nero fully realized that this place was definitely illegal on the inside, even though on the outside, it looked like a fairly ordinary hotel. After thinking about it, he nodded.

"Since you're ready, you can go. After that, you'll come here at 9 o'clock sharp, and don't be late. There will be punishment. You'll get the key all the time you come to this place from those two. And also, they will search you every time you understand. Every mistake you make will affect you terribly. You're free now."

Without saying anything more, he headed for the door, and Nero had to follow. Before they left, they took a picture of him. Walking out of the hotel, Nero strolled leisurely toward his apartment. He seemed to be in deep trouble right after he wanted to get a job.

Thinking about all these problems, he walked under the street lights. It took him about 20 minutes to get to his house. When his phone trembled, he picked it up and looked. There was a message from Avi.

"Will you be back today?"

As he wanted to answer, he heard a rustling of something toward the dark alley and a faint muffled voice. Thinking a little suspiciously, he put the phone aside and walked toward the sound.

The closer he approached the place, the clearer he listened to the voice and then the voices- the quiet whispers of several people and one muffled. There was even quiet laughter. He looked around the corner where it was very dim, but it didn't stop him. As he could see very well even in the dark after running the virus.

Behind the garbage can, there were four of them. Two were holding one woman, and the third seemed to be going through her bag.

"Bitch, where did you hide the money? Not here...not here, where the hell."

"Hee hee hee, can't you see anything at all? Turn on the flashlight and check."

"Yeah hurry up, I can't wait to he-he..."

While they were talking, one of the men holding the girl grabbed her hips with his hand, causing the woman to whimper. They covered her mouth so she could not call for help.

Nero, at first, did not want to intervene and wanted to leave. But as he turned to leave, he suddenly thought about whether he was too calm and appeared indifferent. This thought immediately made him stop and realize that the more he became strong, the stronger the virus would become. It was natural to change. In the previous world, he wouldn't have gone to the rescue right away, but he would still try to do something about it.

As Nero plunged into his thoughts, he realized that even psychologically, gradually ceased to be human. But then, he heard something tearing. He quickly snapped out of his thoughts and spoke up to stop the action on the other side.

"Enough."

His voice was steady and calm, but it still had the effect of making the three immediately stop. At this time, they seemed to be about to do something illegal, with one of them already holding a piece of clothing.

As Nero walked towards them, his face was not visible due to the low light, and his mask only enhanced this effect. A man shrouded in darkness walked towards the bandits, with only a pair of scarlet eyes visible. Due to the virus, Nero's eyes glowed faintly red, making his appearance more intimidating.

Two of the bandits let the girl go at once, but the third kept her mouth shut the whole time.

Her dark hair was a mess, and her deep blue eyes expressed both hope and fear as she looked towards Nero. Nero stared at her for a few seconds before he turned his gaze to the bandits walking towards him. They were walking towards him rather aggressively, while also saying foul words.

When the distance was close, the bandit ahead of him suddenly swung something in the direction of Nero's head. Nero thought it would be hard for him to avoid it, even though he had grown physically very strong. But he understood that he had no other characteristics except his stamina. At this time, he would also become convinced of something. When he concentrated like this, he could see very well all the actions of the enemy.

The other side slowly raised his hand holding the knife. Nero didn't wait for his hand to land, taking a step towards the bandit. His hand sidestepped and easily struck him in the side. Though he calculated his strength, it seemed to be too much. The opponent flew sharply to the side and hit the wall, after which he slid down.

The second bandit clearly couldn't react to this, and when he was about to realize what had happened, he felt his body tilt to the side. Feelings of pain spread from this, directly paralyzing him. When the second bandit fell to the ground, Nero confirmed for himself that this amount of strength was enough for these guys.

And so from start to finish, he didn't slow his stride.

The third bandit and the woman only saw the two go toward the stranger. Because it was a little dark, the two went after each other. They did not understand how the first bandit flew to the side. But they saw the second one fall straight to the ground after the guest lightly struck him.

Soon, a tall man stood in front of them. In this gloom, only two red eyes were visible, faintly glowing. The third bandit held the woman with fear in his eyes. His grip on her instinctively loosened. Noticing this, the woman immediately took advantage and broke free. When Nero saw this, he stepped forward and raised his foot.

Using the appropriate force, he lay on the chest of the bandit who was still unresponsive. He was thrown backwards, hitting the wall. Then, holding onto his chest, he fell to the ground. Ignoring him, Nero looked at the woman. Realizing that she was okay, he walked toward the exit. The woman followed him in a hurry, picking up her things, glancing back from time to time.

When they finally emerged from the shadows, she looked at Nero's back as he moved away. Finally, she sighed and hurried after him. "Hey, wait, I want to say!" Nero didn't go far, turned his head and stopped.

"What's up?"

"Thanks..."

She answered only when she reached Nero.

"No need."

Nero answered and was about to leave, but the woman suddenly reached out a hand to stop him.

"Um...wait, I wanted to..."

She didn't have time to finish her words, because when she touched him, he immediately took a sharp two steps back.

"You can't touch people you don't know."

Realizing she had done something wrong, she laughed embarrassedly and continued.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to. I just wanted to say that I want to thank you."

"No need. Tidy yourself up and be careful going forward."

Saying this, Nero turned and walked away with determination. The woman seemed to be thinking about something. Taking a small mirror out of her purse and seeing her embarrassed look, she painted a look of embarrassment on her face.

Taking something like a napkin and wiping it on the way, she ran toward Nero.

Hi guys, I want to reduce the word count so I can put out more chapters and attract readers, what do you think about that?

2