Chapter 8 – Château de Versailles
1.5k 4 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Our seats on this luxurious limo-like car were very comfortable. For seventeen years of my straight male life, the only times that I have been able to just get a small peek at high-class automobiles like this were when we dropped by Yuji’s house, so the novelty I got from the ride is quite something.

 

The fabric that made up these seats had a cool texture and felt soft to the touch. If I had to name something for comparison, it would probably be suede. It seemed that most of the interior and equipment were also covered by this type of fabric, giving off a luxurious but cozy atmosphere, not to mention that the space reserved for backseat passengers like me and Nora was plentiful. It was roomy enough for two rows of seats to be placed in parallel, each could accommodate three to four people.

 

Since we got onto the car, Nora had been sitting next to me on the row opposite the right window, thus allowed us a full view of outside scenery through an oblong one-way mirror. All the vibrancy of the outside world came effortlessly to our seats.

 

Well, it’s not like they are very exotic sceneries anyway… or rather, I have been seeing them every single day for a whole year.

 

The apartment complexes, the stores, the noisy marketplace, all of them still stayed at the same place as when I was a high-school freshman, riding my old rusty bike to school. They are also the places where I made many memories with Sei and Yuji. 

 

Just having their images popped up in my head made me sigh inadvertently. Of course, they would not remember me, or recognize me, while I’m in this state. What did I even think back then?

 

I wonder what those guys did after the ceremony … if my memory serves me correctly, last year we immediately rushed to the nearby amusement park with Yuji’s girlfriend... To be the only guy there with a gal as a partner, that guy was flexing hard, huh? 

 

I looked at my slender and pearl-white hands. The fingers were petite and without flaws. They were nothing like the thick and full of blisters ones I used to see.

 

Still, isn’t my role now reversed? Even though I thought it would be more fun to be a popular girl, being some random dude’s girlfriend is a big no though. I’m not homo enough to do that. 

 

I turned to my left and saw a sleeping Nora with a peaceful expression. Her facial muscles relaxed during her sleep, allowing a better glimpse of her features and to be honest, it was quite a sight to behold. Her skin was a spotless white, her lips a light pink color, especially her sharp eyes have become droopy, lessening her usual cold image and left a lovable impression.

 

Truth be told, my mind was swarmed with the thought of pinching her cheeks and give her ears a nib. But remember the sword that was barely an inch from me I had to back down from that thought. I’m pretty sure she is not the one that takes unwanted physical contact lightly, even though I’m technically her master right now, I would not risk it.

 

Yes, girls are great. Some of them might have a few character issues but still, they are soft and cute. 

 

Still, even though she was sleeping soundly, I could not help squeezing my eyebrows when I remember the conversation we had before she fell asleep.

 

I have delayed the answer by saying that I need more time to look into her problem, but I’m sure if this is not figured out in time, my current identity would suffer a serious crisis.

 

This new body of ‘mine’ got the frivolous skill points like etiquette to MAX, but about this fantasy staple named ‘magic’ that Nora has periodically informed me about since this morning, ‘I’ was like a toddler. It was a total blank when it’s about how to produce something like that.

 

Up to this point, the situation only demanded me to use muscle memories and tell some fancy lines, but if I could not figure out magic up to their expectations, these people … no, demons would realize something is off. Consider their not very friendly attitude towards human even when its suppose to be peacetime, I could not imagine what they would do to me if they realized a human just took over their princess.

 

One only needs to look at the popular franchises that heavily features master-servant relationship. An incapable master or a master that cannot use magic is not only a huge burden for their servant, they also got belittled by their counterparts. In extreme cases, it would even draw their own servants ire, and the result was that the master got done in by his own subordinate.

 

I could totally imagine Nora saying something along the lines of -

 

“You are not my true master. Now die, mongrel.”

 

… while the sword she held at her waist ripped my body in two, this time without any restraint while her beautiful face remained a perfect freezing-below-zero expression.

 

Just thinking about this made me seriously break out in cold sweat, I quickly peeked my side to see if the beautiful girl in maid uniform was still peacefully sleeping. After confirming that her phoenix eyes were still closed shut and the katana was still fixed in its place, I could not help but heave out a large sigh of relief. 

 

Mine should have also been a fun and rewarding fantasy reincarnation as any other, but why is there so much stress? And there is that idiot Sei too...

 

Against all of this, I just want to scream out as loud as I can. Still, the inanimate car ignored my feelings and its wheels kept moving, soon, we were brought back to the mansion.

 

 

 

⧪⧪⧪

 

 

 

This mansion… when looking from afar, was quite a sight to behold.

 

Last year, we had a group project to do research on French architecture, and Sei, who was the group leader, decided to choose the palace of Versailles as our topic. Even though I did not remember much, this mansion gave off the same vibe as that gorgeous palace.

 

The place where our car was parked what seemed to be the entrance gate, whose design resembled the wrought iron gates I have seen at Yuji’s house with all those complex twists and twirls, the only difference being the gate before my eyes was plated with a blinding golden color. Behind the gate was a vast complex of gardens and small ponds, all of them were neatly organized into squares, each of them had a unique layout, as if each wanted to tell a different story through their artistic combination of natural elements. The marbled walkways were the last strokes in this already mesmerizing paintings, harmonizing them together on one canvas and bringing this fine painting to the degree of perfection.

 

Why the hell did we not come across this in the morning? 

 

I really wanted to have some more questions, but my seatmate, who was still sleeping like a log, did not wake up at all. I wanted to wake her up, but at a loss when it came to how.

 

As I was struggling in my thought, the door between our seats’ and the driver’s was opened from outside, and together with it came a mellifluous voice.

 

“Eris-sama. You have come back.”

 

As I looked at the voice’s owner in reflex, what greeted me was a grey-haired man in butler suit. His neatly trimmed beard was also a color of grey.

 

Isn’t this the man I met at the entrance ceremony? His name was … Sebas, I think? I remembered him pretty clearly because he was the only one around me without horns.

 

“Umm, yeah, I’m back, Sebas-sa… Sebas.”

 

“What did you think about my speech this morning, Eris-sama? It was quite well-done, I think. Those petty humans were swallowing my words like flies swallowing honey bee.”

 

I glanced at him with puzzlement.

 

What speech?

 

It seemed he also realized my confusion, as he quickly rectified his words.

 

“Princess? Is there something wrong? Was my speechcraft not up to your standard? My bad, I should not have compared my child play with your immaculate abilities. I deeply apologize, Eris-sama.”

 

The puzzlement in my eyes increased by twofold.

 

These demons are leaving me out of the loop again… what a pain. Let’s just ... cook something up.

 

“No… I’m just a bit tired. Could you wake Nora up and lead us to the … um, castle? Your speech, I will comment on it later.”

 

I remembered the regal lady called this place a castle during this morning’s breakfast, so I hoped that term was correct. Anyway, all these matters are making my head stuffed, so I just wanted some soft place to lie down and rest. I did not get a wink of sleep during the ride, unlike Nora.

 

As I was preparing to step down from the car floor, the old man’s mouth gaped in surprise.

 

“Princess … what are you saying!? Did you forget that a man like me absolutely, absolutely could not do that?”

 

A man like him could not do that, what do you even mean, old man?

 

I stared at him with puzzled eyes.

 

I thought this was only a joke I did not get, so I waited a bit more for him to end this farce quickly. However, the scared expression on his face did not fade, it seemed to intensify even more during my silence.

 

Is it actually dangerous to wake Nora up?

 

As my brain was trying to process what to do next, he suddenly lowered his head and kneeled on the ground. His legs were visibly shaking.

 

“If it is the princess’s order, then, this old man will comply. But please, please, be sure to visit my grave every year, Eris-sama. This old man shall be very lonely after his death.”

 

“Wait, wait! I don’t get anything but I will wake her up, okay? So stop spewing nonsense, old man!”

 

Seriously, these demons… Are they always this troublesome?

 

I heaved a large sigh, and then came back to my seat. Nora was still sleeping there full of tranquility, her chest rising up and down rhythmically with her breath. 

 

“Nora.”

 

“...”

 

“Noraaa, wake up.”

“...”

 

“Nora, if you don’t wake up, I will touch you, with my hand, bare.”

“...”

 

Still no response.

 

You brought this on yourself, demon girl.

 

Her shoulder, even though not totally exposed by the uniform, still left a small gap between white neck, where the upper part of her collarbone slightly protruded out. That’s where I will make my attack.

 

Okay, I can do this… It’s just a friendly shoulder pat, nothing big at all…

 

My hand slowly made its way to her shoulder, even if I tried to consciously stabilize it, my fingers were still shaking.

 

Just a little more, and add a light tap...

 

My hand, after what seemed like an eternity, finally reached the soft feeling of fabric, and I lightly tapped her.

 

Still no reaction.

 

Let’s give it a bit more force.

 

As my hand was preparing to tap her a second time, I could feel the rhythm of breath suddenly became chaotic, and before I could register anything, there was a loud swooshing sound of something sharp being drawn out. Barely half a second later, the freezing touch of metal slithered down my neck.

 

 

⧪⧪⧪

 

 

“I’m … I’m sorry, Eris-sama! I’m sorry! I committed another unforgivable sin when I mistook you for a human! Please, let me atone for my sin with my death!”

 

“Please! Be lenient with her, Eris-sama! My sister is a good-for-nothing muscle-brained idiot, but she never meant any harm to you, Eris-sama. Please don’t sentence her to death!”

 

“What are you saying, Clara!? Who is the muscle-brained idiot? And don’t stop me, my stupid blade nearly killed Her Highness twice today, I don’t deserve to live anymore! Please, Eris-sama!”

 

All of you, please, just shut up.

 

Not long after that incident inside the car, Nora has been sticking to me and blabbering apologies after apologies. They made my walk through this gorgeous castle a pain. 

 

Moreover, before I knew it, the cutesy maid with green hair buns also joined this farce, and with each of them subsequently acting the role of tsukkomi and boke, I could not feel an ounce of enjoyment even when passing by all these state-of-the-art ornaments that could only be seen in royal museums.

 

“You guys…”

 

“Yes!! Princess!?”

 

They both shouted in unison.

 

“We will resolve this later, so don’t do anything rash, Nora. Now, I’m tired, so just ... lead me back to my room. ”

 

I really need a soft bed to lie down. Too many troublesome matters.

 

“Y.. yes. Please let me guide you, princess. Nora, you heard what Eris-sama said, you dummy. Now go and report everything to the queen, truthfully, okay?”

 

“Grr, that’s fine… Eris-sama, I could not thank you enough for your generosity, but please give me an appropriate punishment later. This lowly servant deserved it.”

 

With that, she did her usual curtsy, and then headed for the direction opposite us, albeit with uneven steps as if she was being scared of something.

 

Are you secretly a masochist, Nora? Why would you want to be punished that badly?

 

I could not help but heave a sigh for my weird servant.

 

The green-haired maid then led me back to my room in silence. After giving me some refreshments which included a cup of floral-scented tea and some white-nut cookies on a tray, she closed the doors, and left me by myself.

 

Haaa, finally some time alone…

 

I immediately jumped onto the oversized bed while still having my uniform and shoes on. Right now I’m too exhausted to care about such peasantries. Getting nearly killed twice today also did not help in the slightest.

 

Sei … of course he did not remember me. Perhaps to him, I was being very impolite when I, a complete stranger as of then, casually glomped him like that. Even when I was still Tomoya, he has never been happy when I touched him jokingly, even just on the shoulder.

 

I buried my heads deep into the pillow. For some reason, its color was now cherry pink, and it was as wide as the bed itself.

 

There was also a mysterious force that prevented me from talking anything about my past life. If I tried to do something like that, only gibberish would come out. What’s up with that? Do I really have to go through high school without being able to recite any past memories to Sei or Yuji? 

 

Thinking about such a depressing scenario made my eyes watery. Over seventeen years’ worth of memories, only to disappear in a blink of an eye without any trace left. 

 

Haaa, what a pain… I don’t want my highschool life to be void of friends. What should I do to befriend them again?

 

My thought continued to run in circles without any end in mind, after what seemed like an eternity of toss and turn in the bed, I decided that this messy mind needed a change of pace, maybe a cold facewash would do me good.

 

Feeling a bit healed from the feathery-soft bed, I rose up and went to the bathroom. When I looked at myself in the mirror, the image reflected was that of a gorgeous girl with her uniform skirt wrinkled here and there, her alluring eyes were moist, and her sizable, nicely shaped mounds were a bit exposed through the gap between the white shirt buttons wore inside the grey uniform, revealing a tiny bit of pearl-white skin.

 

If anyone saw this girl, there is no way in hell they would believe that she was just a normal highschool boy just yesterday.

 

I put one of my fingers between my lips. They were soft, and plump, just like two slices of fresh peach. Just touching them myself made my finger feel ecstatic, even though it’s a part of my body.

 

What should I do for the rest of the day? 

 

I pondered.

27