The False City (10)
474 10 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sounds of a bustling city surrounded Evatide. Her instincts were on high alert, screaming constantly to her that there was danger everywhere. As her eyes got used to the blinding light in these strange new surroundings, her feet were already running on their own, until she managed to find her way into a gap between 2 buildings.

She felt as if she was back on the surface, back in Yrin. The bustling sounds of a thriving city rang across the cold stone buildings, echoing across the cavern walls. It was so real, she had almost thought that everything was just a dream, and she was back in the alleys of Yrin.

Unfortunately, she was wrong. Her eyes finally adjusted to the light in this strange and dangerous place, a myriad of colors assaulting her eyes. Through the slit, she managed to see countless foreign humans, dressed in strange and mysterious clothing, walking down and up the paved streets.

She looked around, to discover that the narrow ‘Gap’ was in fact, just another street. Countless people ignored her as they went about their daily business. None seem to give her a second glance.

Even the people who were dressed in guard plate did not spare her a second glance. Evatide swallowed a little saliva, as she tried her best to minimize her profile, entering the main street’s paved roads.

Her eyes darted around for alleyways to hide in, but every building was seamlessly connected to the next, with the narrowest ‘alleys’ being footpaths wide enough for a carriage to fit through comfortably.

The buildings were elegantly designed, she could see that. Precious metals, materials, and finely cut jewels decorated every building. They were all seemingly built from a single block of material, with no seams or cuts anywhere.

The shameless display of endless wealth was not the most disturbing part to her. No, it was the spiraling, see-through staircases that stretched into the skies above. More buildings, looking like little squares from the bottom, dotted the skyscape, connected only by the nearly invisible stairs. Humungous towers stretched onto infinity, the tips of it obscured by the fog above.

That wasn’t the end of it, however, the more she looked, the more wrong this entire place felt. The further she got, it seemed as if the world around her became weirder. Buildings, which existed mere moments ago, became a massive road filled with strange people the moment she glanced back. Stairs looped around themselves, with some of the travelers walking upside down.

Side paths turned to buildings, buildings turned into sidepaths. Towers became staircases, and staircases became towers. Time slowed and sped up at seemingly random intervals. And it was getting crazier by the second, her brain struggling to put this reality into words. Instead, Evatide shut her eyes. There was something wrong with the world, and it was best to not look at it.

Else, she was afraid that her mind would truly explode. Walking for what

“Hello, little girl? What are you doing here?” A soft, gentle voice asked to her right. Evatide suddenly shot up straight in the air, goosebumps lining her body. She carefully opened a single eye, focusing on the source of the sound.

An old grandma looked directly at her from her porch on one of the buildings. “Are you lost, little one?”

Evatide unconsciously nodded her head but was still careful to not leak anything. Clicking her tongue, she beckoned for her to come closer. This was the first time that any of the strange inhabitants of this strange city seemed to take notice of her, so she was unsurprisingly curious, and cautious.

“Don’t worry, I don’t bite.” The old grandma chuckled. Evatide felt a few pains in her heart… the old lady sounded just like her late grandma. “Come, come, I just started cooking lunch. A young girl like you should eat plenty to grow up big and beautiful, eh?” Evatide almost went willingly with her but caught herself at the last second.

In her head, thousands of possible situations were being run and tested. Being born and raised in the slums forced you to consider everything as a possible trap. The old grandma opened the door to her home, and a strangely nostalgic scent wafted into her nose.

The smell of butter and… pancakes?

Evatide suppressed her urges and swallowed bits of her saliva.

‘Don’t be tempted don’t be tempted don't be tempted don't be tempted’ Was the mantra she recited in her head. But as the old grandma that looked, sounded, and acted extremely close to her late grandma poked her head out the door with a platter of the most delicious pancakes she had ever seen, she cracked.

Step by step, she climbed the stairs to the porcelain white house, her legs feeling as heavy as lead. Finally, she entered, with the grandma closing the door behind her. The sounds of the bustling crowds were instantly drowned out.

The interior was just as beautiful as the exterior. Strangely… it brought back memories. It was arranged nearly in the same way that her grandma had arranged her furniture.

On the table was a plate of pancakes, with a simple slab of butter on another plate. The warm smell of butter and syrup filled her nostrils with joy, as she inadvertently found herself sitting at one of the many seats.

“Here…” The grandma brought her a plate and forks made of pure silver and began slathering syrup and butter-covered pancakes onto her plate. “Make sure to eat a lot. It is a delicious family recipe, after all.”

Evatide slowly picked up the silverware, each in one hand. Carefully stabbing the pointy end of the fork into the soft, supple pancake, she brought a piece of it into her mouth.

As soon as it did, all hells broke loose, Evatide stuffing herself with mouthfuls and mouthfuls of this nostalgic flavor. “Now, now, don’t choke dear.” The grandma sat herself down next to her, her face filled with concern and worry. “Have a few glasses of water…” She said, bringing yet more pancakes.

It was heaven for the young girl.

Finally, after gods know how many plates, Evatide stopped, wiping away her salty tears. The old lady in front of her was kind. Extremely so.

“Why were you out on the streets?” The old grandma asked.

“...I was lost.”

“Perhaps you were looking for the Church?” She responded with a gentle smile, bringing the many platters over to the washbin. “They can help you find where you need to go.”

At the sound of that, Evatide’s eyes lit up. “Grandma! Where can I find the church?”

Chuckling at her enthusiasm, the old lady dried her hands on a nearby towel, pulling a piece of parchment paper out of her apron pocket. “Here you go. It is very easy to get lost in this city, child. Make sure to only look at the map when you are walking, otherwise…” A sudden frown overcame her smiling face.

Her eyes clouded over. “Otherwise…?”

She shook her head. “No, just only look at the map once you begin following the path.” She led Evatide out of the house, gently resting her hand on Evatide’s shoulder. “I believe that you would find what you will need.” Evatide felt the grandma place something solid in her palm. “For travels. Give this to the guide.”

Evatide nodded, as she unfurled the piece of yellow parchment. “Remember.” A cold feeling washed over Evatide, the kind old Grandma’s voice being especially hollow and far. “Ignore all other voices and those who would want to draw your attention. Do not entertain them.”

She hurriedly spun around, hoping to see what was wrong.

… The porcelain house was not there. Not just that, but the entire city was just… gone. Nothing remained in its place, not even darkness. Instead, floating blue orbs meandered aimlessly through the cave, providing just enough light to see, but not enough to make her comfortable. In front of her was an endless ocean of murky grey water.

The shores were akin to glass. Endless acrid smoke rose whenever the water touched the glassy shores. The sand below her felt cold and unwelcoming. It was a far cry from the gorgeous, albiet confusing, infinite city and the kind grandma's house from before. 

Dark growths littered the sandy floor. Evatide did not dare investigate what those things were.

Taking a deep breath and calming herself, she looked at the parchment. There was only a straight, red line cutting directly forward, stopping in front of what seemed to be turbid waters. A big, red X with an arrow drawn up at the very north of the map.

The church was at the other end of this river.

“Child. Do you have your fare?” A hollow voice spoke to her right. The voice was deep and ancient, seemingly belonging to something far, far older, and more powerful than the slum lords. Evatide immediately froze and stared directly at her map.

‘Don't look.’ She screamed at herself. She scrutinized the map from top to bottom, finding out every little non-existent detail. The hard object in her palm pushed against her grip, becoming almost painful.

“Child. Do you have your fare? This is not one of the tricks of Styx.” A cold hand gripped her shoulder as she suppressed a scream. Another hand rested on her hand, tightening into a grip and forcibly twisting her head to face the source of the voice.

It was a tall man, dressed in a tattered grey robe. His black hair fell wildly to his knees, his face a mixture of human and skeleton. A skeletal arm extended from his back. “Your fare.” He asked, now annoyed at having to repeat himself for the third time.

Evatide simply peeped as she gave him the object in her hand. It was a shiny coin, engraved with a language she couldn’t understand.

Seemingly satisfied, the man let go of his hands. He gestured for her towards a rickety wooden boat, barely large enough to fit the two of them. “The others do not wish to wait any longer. We will depart immediately.”

Following orders, Evatide simply got on the boat. Instantly, 18 other hooded figures appeared on deck, each sitting on a wooden bench. Even she was dressed in a tattered cloak and hood. The boat somehow was much larger than it seemed to be, with many of its seats empty.

With a slight rumble, Evatide felt the boat leave dry land, the rickety boat only centimeters above the murky grey waters.

She had no idea where she was going, but it was much too late to turn back now. With no other choice but to look at her map, the red lines diminishing with each paddle, a thick fog settled across the boat.

It was then that she heard the voices, desperately suppressing the urge to hurl herself overboard.

Spoiler

Took pretty heavy inspiration from the greek myth of Persephone~

[collapse]

If you spot any mistakes or inconsistencies, don't forget to tell me! I'll read any comments tomorrow! Have a good night everyone!

6