Trip to America
317 0 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sorry for the delay, guys.

------------------------------

[3rd POV]

When Yuna was lowered from the Duel Arena, she rushed to Seto with a face full of anxiety. With Alister's defeat, the Seal of Orichalcos dimmed and vanished, freeing him from the suffocating prison. Kneeling, Seto panted with exhaustion, and he sighed as the soul-draining sensation finally disappeared.

Concerned for his well-being, she tried to help him stand, but Seto hurriedly pushed her away: "Kaiba?" Yuna questioned with confusion as he deliberately avoided her eyes.

Ignoring her call, Seto tightly grasped his chest as his heart thrashed against his ribcage. Yuna's declaration of her trust in him left Seto in a state of disbelief, and her words continued to replay in his mind like a broken cassette player.

Touching his face, which was heating up like a raging fire, Seto gritted his teeth while trying to distract himself by staring at the ceiling. Why was he feeling this way? No matter how much Seto thought about it, he couldn't figure out the answer.

No.... Deep down, Seto may have an idea of this new emotion... 

'To think someone like me can feel this way...' He thought with a self-deprecating smirk.

Noticing that Yuna was still staring at him, Seto sighed: "I'm fine..." He managed to squeeze the words out of the gaps of his teeth, and Yuna smiled with relief.

"Enough about me," he said, changing the subject, "What should we do about him?" Following Seto's finger, Yuna looked at Alister, who was lying on the floor as the Seal of Orichalcos slowly crept towards him...

Five Minutes Earlier...

When his life points dropped to zero, Alister was swept off his feet as the Seal of Orichalcos's power threw him against the ground. Before he could react, he felt his life force slowly leaving his body.

'Thing's not supposed to go like this!!' His pupils trembled with emotions: 'I should have won!'

Drowning in his despair and anger, Alister weakly turned his head and glared daggers at the girl who was timidly approaching him.

"Tsk...." Alister sulked uncontrollably. "Why did you get in my way?" Unable to respond, Yuna quietly knelt beside him as he continued to rant.

"For years, I have dedicated myself to this moment and when everything seemed perfect!" He shouted: "I could've had my revenge!"

"Revenge... is wrong..." Yuna muttered, and Alister gritted his teeth in anger.

"Then what isn't wrong?!" He roared: "Am I just going to sit there and accept the fact that my family were murdered in cold blood?!"

Shielding his eyes with his arm, Alister bit his lips, suppressing the seething rage brewing within him. In a sudden moment of tenderness, he felt a comforting warmth as Yuna gently clasped his hand.

"No...." She shook her head: "What Gozaburo did.... can't be forgiven...."

"Then!"

Yuna: "That's why... Kaiba did everything he could to stop him... That's why he worked... so hard. So something like... this won't happen again..." 

"I understand.... that it's difficult," she continued, "But you can't fuel... your hatred forever."

Alister remained silent as his memories gradually resurfaced. After being picked up by Dartz, he patiently waited for the time when he could exact his revenge on Gozaburo. However, upon learning of Gozaburo's demise and another person having taken over Kaiba Corps, complicated emotions overwhelmed him. Eventually, unable to accept it, Alister turned his hostility towards the Kaiba brothers, convincing himself that they, too, bore responsibility for his suffering.

Chuckling resignedly, Alister glanced at Yuna from the corner of his eye. "Why bother talking to me? I'm as good as dead, destined to have my soul claimed by the Seal of Orichalcos."

"Because... I want to," She replied with a small smile.

Alister frowned, unable to grasp her intentions: "What a strange person...."

"What if..." Yuna's voice trailed off as she gazed into the distance. : "You can get a second... chance?"

"Second chance, huh?" Alister mused as darkness crept into his vision: "That sure... sounds... nice..."

Alister's hand gradually slipped out of Yuna's grasp as he closed his eyes. Staring at his lifeless body, she sighed and glanced at Seto, her pupils trembling with uncertainty.

"So this is what happens?" Seto scowled: "That time when they broke into your home, this is what happens if you lose, and you think it's not important enough to tell me?!"

"Kaiba, please..." Yuna muttered uncomfortably: "Not now..."

Sensing her uneasiness, Seto stopped and sighed in exasperation: "Fine.... Regardless, we still don't know where Pegasus went."

Rising to her feet, Yuna nodded decisively. "There must be something... something he left behind." With their next objective clear, they wasted no time in setting their plan in motion.

Fortunately, with Alister defeated, there were no further interruptions from Doma's henchmen as they made their way to Pegasus's private office. Yuna deftly unlocked the door, and the two slipped inside.

"Surprisingly ordinary," Seto remarked, scanning the room before heading towards the desktop computer stationed on the desk.

With practised ease, Seto retrieved a USB from his pocket and shamelessly connected it to the computer. Taking a seat, he wasted no time in demonstrating his advanced hacking prowess, effortlessly breaching the system's defences and gaining access to the stored data.

As Seto skimmed through the files, he noticed Yuna observing him with a disapproving frown. "We have to find out what's going on," he remarked, clearing his throat. "Unless you have a better method?"

Unable to refute Seto's logic, Yuna fell silent and watched as Seto continued to work. After a few minutes, Seto's eyes shimmered as he opened a video file that had been recorded only the night before...

"Greetings, Kaiba-boy~" Pegasus waved cheerfully from the screen: "How have you been? By the time you saw this message, a lot of things had happened, things that couldn't possibly be explained by science."

"Thankfully, your company has taken most of the heat, so I'm not as stressed as I should be," he remarked, and Seto scowled: "Nonetheless, things have been pretty rough on my end as well."

"Don't worry. I may have an idea about who the clown behind all of this is." He spoke solemnly: "But it is most likely that you have already met them."

"Anyway, it would be nearly impossible for me to explain everything in this video. It's best if you come and visit Industrial Illusions Headquarters in San Francisco." Pegasus smiled: "Oh, please also bring Yuna Sano with you, but I doubt I needed to tell you since you will do it anyway. Oh, how sweet, young lo...."

Before he could finish, Seto switched off the monitor. "It's useless to keep listening to this guy's chattering," he said under Yuna's questioning gaze.

"What... now?" She asked: "Are we... going?"

"Do we have to?" Seto responded: "You said it yourself; the b*stards attacking my company are called Doma, and as long we find them, it will all be over."

"But... do we know where to start?" Yuna asked while tilting her head. Despite being familiar with the events of this arc, the location of Doma's base was never explicitly mentioned. Unless they search blindly through the entirety of the United States, it's best to let things play out.

"We should go...." She explained: "Pegasus probably know... something we don't."

Grasping his chin, Seto quietly considered the advantages and disadvantages of meeting with Pegasus. On the one hand, Pegasus may possess information on Doma that they weren't aware of, but on the other hand, he would have to listen to that man's constant yapping.

"It doesn't seem like we have a choice," Seto replied reluctantly: "Let's go." 

"Wait," Yuna grabbed his shoulder with a concerned expression: "What about... Alister?"

Hearing Yuna say his name, Seto subconsciously frowned. "I will have someone take care of him," he answered with displeasure.

A few Hours Later...

Swiftly arriving, thanks to the speed of the Blue Eyes White Dragon Jet, Seto and Yuna found themselves at their destination. Despite the efficiency of their travel, the constant movement had left them both utterly exhausted. Though neither of them admitted it, they silently yearned for a break.

"It's already late..." Seto explained, staring at his phone as they exited the jet. "We can go tomorrow."

Glancing at the descending sunset, Yuna nodded. It was fortunate that she packed some clothes before they left, or else she would have nothing to change into.

Exiting the lift, Yuna and Seto found themselves at a bustling hotel in the heart of the city. Stepping out of the car, Yuna's eyes danced with wonder and awe as she took in her new surroundings. As they entered the hotel, it felt as though all eyes were drawn to them, their presence sparking curiosity and intrigue among the onlookers.

"Woah, are they foreigners?"

"She looks so beautiful..."

"That man is also pretty handsome as well...."

However, as their eyes roamed over the duo's figures, everyone couldn't help but notice the Duel Disk securely attached to their wrists.

"Look, isn't that a Duel Disk?!"

"Now that you said it, they looked awfully familiar... No way...."

"If that's really a Duel Disk, then they are!"

Instantly, a shift in the atmosphere became palpable, causing Yuna to shiver as she picked up on the change in mood.

"Um, excuse me," A man suddenly tapped her on the shoulder with a hesitant expression: "Are you by chance Yuna Sano?"

Momentarily taken aback, Yuna stared at him, causing the man to flinch nervously. Though her grasp of English wasn't perfect, Yuna understood his question and nodded in affirmation.

With his suspicion proven correct, the man smiled with excitement while holding out a piece of paper and pen: "May I please have your autograph?!"

Caught off guard by the request, she gazed at the paper in stunned silence. As the seconds stretched on, the man coughed awkwardly and slowly retracted the paper, sensing her hesitation. Snapping out of her daze, Yuna quickly scribbled her name before handing it back to him with a slight nod.

Clutching the paper, the man smiled in delight: "Thank you so much!"

Unbeknownst to Yuna, her seemingly simple action had triggered a chain of events far more significant than she could have anticipated.

"Can I also have an autograph!?"

"Please have a picture with me!!"

"Duel! Please give me the chance to duel you!!"

Stunned by the popularity, Yuna desperately tried to fulfil each request, but it was clear that she was getting overwhelmed: "Stop!" Before being drowned in the wave of people, a loud voice resonates throughout the room as her vision was blocked by Seto's back.

Scanning the crowd, his expression turned fiercely cold, a chilling intensity emanating from his gaze. Without a word spoken, everyone presents the overwhelming hostility exuding from him, causing them to shrink back instinctively.

"Come on," Seto growled, and Yuna silently followed him to the counter. "I want two rooms," he ordered the receptionist while speaking perfect English.

Blushing, the receptionist frantically nodded as she hurriedly entered the details into the computer. As Seto took out the black card from his pocket, Yuna stopped him: "I will pay... mine."

"No need," Seto waved it off and placed the card on the table: "This much is nothing for me."

Yuna: "But..."

"I loathe being indebted to others," He explained quickly: "This is merely an opportunity for me to repay you."

Unable to refute his statement, Yuna nodded meekly. As she gazed at Seto, a smile tugged at her lips, and she felt a warmth blossoming in her heart...

[Yuna's POV]

 Next Day...

As the sun rose, I gradually stirred awake from my slumber. Sitting up, I remembered that I was currently staying at a luxurious hotel in America instead of my cozy apartment building in Japan.

"But, who knew there could be a bed this comfortable..." I mumbled and rubbed my fingers along the sheets.

To think this was what authentic luxury tastes like! The bed was so large that I could roll around freely without ever fearing falling off, and the mattress was so soft that I felt like I was sleeping on clouds!!

"Is this what Kaiba feels like every time he sleeps?" I questioned. The power of the rich sure was terrifying.

BANG BANG BANG

Suddenly, a loud noise pounded against my door, and I heard Kaiba's voice from the other side: "Wake up, we're leaving."

"...Com... Coming!" I said, loud enough for him to hear, and hurried to the bathroom.

Fifteen Minutes Later...

After showering and changing my clothes, I exited my room and spotted Kaiba waiting outside. His face was stuck in a perpetual scowl, and he was impatiently tapping the floor with his feet.

"It took you long enough," he remarked, and I smiled bashfully. "Anyway, we should go now; we wasted too much time."

Without waiting for me, he walked away, but I hurriedly grasped his wrist and stopped him: "Kaiba... Your face..." Gritting his teeth, Kaiba tried to avoid my gaze, but it couldn't hide the dark circles below his eyes.

"There's still some work that needs to be finished." Kaiba explained: "So I didn't sleep until it was late."

"You should take... care of yourself more..." I said, but he scoffed and flicked my forehead.

As I glared at him, Kaiba smirked: "Look who's talking, the amount of times you almost killed yourself is astounding."

"Hmph..." I pouted, unable to refute his claim. Why am I even worried about that snobbish guy in the first place?!

"Let's just go," I muttered as I sped past Kaiba. I felt my embarrassment rising when I heard his laughter from behind. Geez... what's with him? No matter how much I thought about it, I couldn't understand the mind of Seto Kaiba...

Ten Minutes Later...

Thankfully, Industrial Illusions wasn't that far away, and we arrived quickly. However, similar to the Duellist Kingdom, not a single employee was in sight, and we drove in without any hassle.

"Sano!" Suddenly, I heard a familiar voice as we stepped out of the car, and I was surprised to find Tea running towards me.

"Gardner..." I mumbled and tilted my head: "What are you... doing here?"

Taking a deep breath, Tea began to explain the events of the day before. Soon after I left Yugi's house, a man arrived and delivered a cassette tape. When they played the tape, they were confronted by the message from Pegasus, telling them to come to America and visit him personally.

However, once arrived, an unknown man claiming to be working for Pegasus drove them to the middle of nowhere and abandoned them at a gas station as they got in trouble with a gang of bikers.

"But then, we were also soon rescued by Mai Valentine of all people, but she decided to drive off, leaving us there." Tea grumbled in annoyance: "So, we hitched a ride here, but Mai was already waiting for us and challenged Joey to a duel."

"Turns out she has joined that evil organisation that attacked us! Can you believe that girl?!" She complained with a sigh: "Anyway, why are you here, Sano-san and... Kaiba?"

I glanced at Kaiba, and he scoffed while crossing his arms, declaring his lack of interest in the conversation. Smiling wryly, I turned to Tea and began my explanation of the duel against Alister and eventually coming to America after finding Pegasus's message in the Duelist Kingdom.

"You must have it rough too..." Tea mumbled, and we shared a moment of kinship: "Come on, since we're all going to find Pegasus, we can go together."

Observing Kaiba, who merely shrugged, I agreed to Tea's offer, and she led us further inside. It wasn't long before we stumbled upon the rest of the Yugi group, and they approached us with anticipation.

"Looks like the nerd squad have gathered..." Kaiba scoffed with contempt, but he quickly shut up when I elbowed him in the stomach. Thankfully, they didn't seem to hear the insult, and I smiled as we exchanged light greetings.

"It was a welcoming surprise to meet you two here, Sano and Kaiba." Yami Yugi said while nodding his head at both of us.

"Enough with the pleasantries; my objective was to get an answer out of that white-haired b*stard; all of you can just scram," Kaiba replied coldly, erupting the rage of Joey and Tristan.

"Kaiba, this isn't the time to fight amongst ourselves. Pegasus seemed to have information about the organisation we're up against." Yami Yugi reasoned while revealing a Duel Monster Card in his hand: "He gave this card to me and said that this card was able to arrange a meeting with him."

"Tsk..." Kaiba clicked his teeth: "Fine, then what are we waiting for?" 

Luckily, we were able to locate the secret room pretty quickly. As we stared at the closed door hidden in Pegasus's office, Yami Yugi anxiously approached the lock and swiped the Duel Monster Card like a key card. There was a noticeable hiss as the door opened automatically.

"What in the world is this place?" Joey mumbled, and we all subconsciously nodded at his remark.

The room stretched out expansively, filled with an array of statues depicting Toon Monsters in various whimsical poses. Beneath us, an artificial grass floor sprawled, complete with a winding stream meandering down a makeshift hill reminiscent of a miniature golf course.

At the heart of the room stood a towering statue depicting a colossal book with cartoonish castle turrets bursting from its pages. Perched atop the castle's highest tower was the figure of Toon Divine Dragon Lord Felgrand, its expression adorned with a mischievous smirk overlooking the whimsical scene below.

"Welcome!" Suddenly, a hologram of Pegasus appeared, catching us off guard: "Yugi-boy, Kaiba-boy or Miss Sano, at least I hope it's one of you that found this room."

"If you couldn't tell, I made this interior design myself. It's impressive, isn't it?" He laughed jokingly despite the solemn mood.

"So, if you're hearing this, it means that the gentlemen who tried to capture my soul have succeeded." Pegasus sighed in resignation: "It all began when a mysterious man tried to buy out my company..."

"When I tried to investigate this individual, I discovered that he possessed an ancient power more substantial than I've ever seen. Pegasus spoke with a sign: "His name is Dartz,"

"All of you are in grave danger. Dartz planned to use my game and bring an end to civilization. He must be stopped!" Pegasus exclaimed: "Thankfully, I have made an exclusive card that could turn the tide to our advantage!"

"I have hidden the card somewhere in this room," he explained with a smile. "Think strategically now where it could be placed, where could you get an extra card? Good luck, Sano, Yugi-boy, and Kaiba-boy..... You three may be the only ones able to stop this..."

As the hologram finished speaking, the room was filled with silence: "So," Joey spoke up: "There's supposed to be a very rare card in here somewhere?"

"Where could we get an extra card..." Yami Yugi muttered thoughtfully.

"Mutou..." I called and gestured at the statue of Pot of Greed with my chin: "There..."

Realising my intention, Yami Yugi's eyes widened: "That's it!" Approaching the Pot of Greed with anticipation, he reached in and took out a singular Duel Monster card.

Gathering around him, everyone stared at the card with curiosity: "Is that it? There's nothing on there; it's just a blank card!" Joey exclaimed.

"It has to be special in some way, right?" Tea commented in a hopeful tone: "Maybe it will appear if you play it."

"That's cool and all, but who's keeping the card?" Tristan asked as Yami Yugi glanced at me and Kaiba.

"I have no use for a card that I can't trust," Kaiba replied bluntly.

Smiling wryly, I also shook my head. Since I already knew what the card was, it was useless for me to hold it since I don't possess any of the three Legendary Dragons: "Mutou... should keep it." I suggested, and he nodded in understanding.

"Are we done now?" Kaiba interrupted with displeasure: "I have wasted enough time here; I'm leaving."

"Kaiba, wait!" Yami Yugi shouted frantically: "We should work together!"

"Work together, with you lot?" He snorted coldly and headed for the exit: "You must be joking...."

"Kaiba! Be reasonable for once!" Yami Yugi gritted his teeth to control his emotion: "We have to work as a team!"

"A team?" Kaiba retorted: "Sorry, I don't do the teamwork thing. I have a company to run. Goodbye."

Biting his lips, Yami Yugi turned to me and said, "How about you? Are you joining us, Sano?"

"Me?" I uttered in surprise before glancing at Kaiba, who suddenly stopped walking: "Sorry, Mutou. I'm going with... him."

"I see," Yami Yugi smiled as if already expecting my answer: "Then stay safe..."

Bidding farewell to the group, I followed Kaiba as we stood side by side in the elevator. As I stared blankly at the closed door, I heard Kaiba suddenly speaking out of the blue.

"Why didn't you join them?" He questioned with a frown.

"Why... would I?" I replied with a shrug. They should manage without me, and I find myself more comfortable this way.

Hearing my answer, Kaiba smirked, seemingly satisfied. Suddenly, a beeping noise reverberated from his pocket, and he took out his phone.

"Hello?" He said and quietly listened. However, I sensed something wrong as Kaiba's face turned increasingly pale: "We will get there as fast as we can."

"K... Kaiba?" I uttered in concern as he turned to me; his following words made me freeze in my tracks.

"Kaiba Corps is under attack," he stated, his words hanging heavy in the air, and at that moment, it felt as if time itself had stopped...

----------------------------------------------

I hope you enjoy it. 

21