Paradox
429 5 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Four days later...

[3rd POV]

"Could you refresh my memory? Why exactly are you here?" Seto inquired, his finger tapping a steady rhythm on the desk as he fixed a penetrating gaze on the man seated opposite him.

Maximillian Pegasus hummed contentedly, taking leisurely sips of his tea. "Isn't it only natural for me to ensure the well-being of my esteemed business partner?" he remarked casually. "Nevertheless, I must admit, I was quite surprised when you agreed to this meeting. Boys your age usually prioritize their studies... But then again, you're not like most boys, are you, Kaiba-boy?"

Seto scoffed dismissively, leaning back in his chair and propping both feet up on the desk. Behind him stood the Domino High principal, visibly anxious as he nervously rubbed his palms together, bracing himself for whatever orders Seto might issue next.

"Hmph... I could breeze through these mediocre teachings without even batting an eye," Seto boasted confidently.

"Is that so?" Pegasus smiled calmly. "Well, I'm not one to criticize Japan's educational system. That aside, you do seem quite different from the last time I saw you."

"What the hell are you babbling about now?" Seto scowled, sensing a strange shift in the conversation.

"Well, don't get me wrong, but back then, I always saw you as someone who held their head high with pride and wouldn't listen to anyone else," Pegasus chuckled softly. "But now, you seem more composed, more mature, and more tolerant of other people..."

Resting his chin on his hands, the American businessman smiled: "You changed Kaiba-boy, perhaps for the better. I wondered if something caused this transformation or if I had to guess... Someone?"

Seto flinched, and his calm expression began to crumble. The image of a girl that had been bothering him for the last four days resurfaced in his mind, and Seto felt his mood worsening. It was only four days ago that they argued, and they haven't talked ever since. 

This wasn't the first time they had gone without seeing each other for a while, but for some reason, this instance felt the most memorable to Seto. He couldn't quite understand why he felt so uneasy about facing her again...

"Looks like I was right," Pegasus grinned knowingly. "And we both know who I'm referring to."

"Shut up," Seto snapped, his tone sharp and final.

Pegasus chuckled softly. "I apologize. I always enjoy witnessing young love blossoming. It reminds me of the times I spent with my beloved Cecilia..."

"How about you cut the bullsh*t and tell me why you're really here?" Seto slammed his fist onto the table; his voice edged with impatience. "If I have to endure any more of your drivel, I feel like my ears are going to rot."

"Fine, fine," Pegasus sighed with disappointment. "You're way too uptight. Loosen up a little."

Smiling, he ran his hand along his long white hair: "It's true that I wanted to check up on you once in a while, but the second reason was I was merely delivering a package to someone."

"A... package?" Seto frowned disapprovingly. "Instead of wasting all of our time, couldn't you have just gotten someone else to do it?"

"I shall do no such thing!" The American man exclaimed loudly. "The recipient was none other than the esteemed Yuna Sano! How could I entrust just anyone with such a task?"

"Y... Yuna Sano?" Seto blinked in disbelief, momentarily taken aback by the unexpected name.

"But of course," Pegasus smiled warmly. "To think she would request several cards to be made. I have to say, I haven't had that much fun in years. Unfortunately, most of the cards she ordered resulted in failures, as her creative mind was too big for me to handle..." He mumbled, his words trailing off with a sigh.

"I... see..." Seto muttered, processing the information. After a few seconds of silence, he extended his hand. "Then give it to me. I will deliver it to her."

"Never!" Pegasus exclaimed, gripping the white envelope tightly to his chest.

"This b*stard..." Seto cursed, also rising from his seat, his annoyance evident. "If you keep going to be a pain in the a*s, for the love of god, I will..."
 
 *ROAR*

Immediately, the two men fell silent, their attention drawn to the loud commotion outside. Seto's eyes widened in disbelief as he instinctively turned towards the window, witnessing the sight of a massive, slender dragon descending from the sky.

"What are you playing at?" Seto growled, turning to Pegasus, but to his confusion, Pegasus seemed just as bewildered as he was...

Meanwhile...

[Yuna's POV]

As I sat there, I subconsciously fidgeted in my seat. For the past three days, we had been diligently preparing for the arrival of Paradox: planning the best strategy to defeat him, predicting where he would show up, and setting up countermeasures for the innocent people who might get caught up in the duel.

As the final day arrived, my mind raced, and I found it difficult to focus on the class, mentally preparing myself for what was about to come.

*ROAR*

Instantly, everyone turned toward the wide windows, gasping as they beheld the form of Stardust Dragon soaring through the air.

"Is that a dragon?"

"This must be some kind of prank, right?"

"No way, it looked way too real..."

Skrrt

The silence shattered as I stood up, the sound of my chair scraping against the floor. "I... need to... leave," I stammered, my voice drawing everyone's attention.

"Sano-san?" Yugi spoke out. "Where are you going? Do you know what's happening?!"

"Yu... Yugi..." I muttered, my expression complicated. Shaking my head, I calmly stared at everyone and waited.

Almost immediately, from the back row, the students groaned and clutched their heads in discomfort. One by one, they collapsed, falling into unconsciousness. Quietly watching the scene unfold, everyone except me fell like dominos.

Once I made sure they were all asleep, I hurriedly retrieved my duel disk from the compartment under my desk and stormed out of the room.

"Stop." Suddenly, a domineering voice stopped me in my tracks.

Turning around, I gazed at Yugi slowly rising from the floor. His demeanour had changed completely, and I understood that he was no longer the Yugi I was familiar with.

"So you do know what's happening," Yami Yugi spoke, crossing his arms. "Sano-san, just who is behind all this?"

I closed my mouth, at a loss for words. However, to my surprise, before I could respond, Yami Yugi smirked and held out his hand.

"Just go; you must have your reasons," he chuckled, glancing out the window. "Be careful, Sano."

Nodding gratefully, I rushed out of the door. Sprinting, I observed all the students gradually falling asleep. Once I reached the stairs, I began to ascend with haste.....

Meanwhile...

[3rd POV]

Standing on the roof, Jaden and Yusei observed Stardust Dragon roaring furiously in the sky. "Jaden..." Yubel muttered. "Everyone has fallen asleep."

"Thank you," he replied, his gaze fixed on the Stardust Dragon. "So, that's your spirit..."

"Yes," Yusei said, his eyes lingering on the Stardust Dragon with a touch of nostalgia. "Sano and Yumi will arrive soon, but please, we need to stop Stardust Dragon before it causes any harm."

"Understood," Jaden nodded decisively, extending his arm. "Elemental Hero Neos!"

WOOSH

Suddenly, a tall humanoid with a sleek and futuristic design materialized in the air. The humanoid donned a tight-fitting suit in a striking combination of white, blue, and red colours, accentuating his streamlined appearance. His distinctive helmet boasted a sleek visor, adding to his high-tech and heroic demeanour.

Without hesitation, Elemental Hero Neos soared towards Stardust Dragon, plunging into fierce combat. The clash between the two formidable entities was intense, with neither side gaining a clear advantage over the other as they battled relentlessly.

"Yusei-kun, we're here!" The door to the rooftop burst open as Yumi and Yuna appeared. However, upon witnessing the intense battle unfolding in the sky, they both stopped in their tracks, watching in shock at the massive clash before them

"I'm glad you're both here," Yusei said with a smile. "Get ready. He should be arriving soon..." The two girls nodded in understanding, and just as Yusei finished speaking, they all heard the sound of something hovering behind them.

"So... the three of you are still alive..." A deep voice echoed.

Standing on a white hovercraft was a man clad in a sleek, dark blue suit adorned with intricate patterns and metallic accents. A black and white mask concealed the man's expression, but his surprise was palpable in his voice.

"Who are you?!" Yumi yelled, her voice tinged with anger. "Why are you committing such heinous acts?!"

"Why..." The man muttered, his gaze locking onto her. "Fine, I will tell you. In two hundred years, the world will be destroyed..."

Yumi/Jaden/Yusei: !!!

"The cause?" He scoffed disdainfully. "Is none other than these Duel Monsters! With three of my comrades, we were the last survivors of humanity. But I will change that future once I kill Yugi Mutou, Seto Kaiba, Maximillian Pegasus, and Yuna Sano."

Yusei shouted angrily, "How does killing them do anything but cause tragedy and despair?!"

"You don't get it..." The man growled. "These four were the spearhead in the popularity of Duel Monsters. With their death, I could prevent this cursed game from overtaking the world."

"It doesn't make sense," Jaden muttered. "Why don't you just stop Pegasus before he even created Duel Monsters in the first place?"

"It's not so simple," he said wistfully. "Duel Monsters already existed long before Maximillian Pegasus brought it to light. Thus, there's no way to destroy its roots, and Duel Monsters will reappear eventually..." [1]

"Then couldn't we change it!?" Yumi shouted desperately. "If we now know what will happen in the future, what's stopping us from preventing it?!"

"Little girl..." The man chuckled: "I cannot put the fate of the future merely on your naive notion. This is something I must do, and if you retaliate, I have no choice but to kill you all."

"Then we also have no choice," Yusei stepped forward boldly. "Your schemes end here!"

He laughed and removed his mask, revealing striking golden pupils and a red mark running along his face. "I highly doubt that will be possible...."

Contorting into a malicious smile, he spread his arms wide. Suddenly, his Duel Runner glowed ominously, revealing two hidden compartments. With a hiss, the doors opened, revealing two new copies of the man standing within.

"I commend your strategy for trying to stop me," he began, his voice dripping with confidence, "but it all ends here. After all...." The two other copies opened their eyes simultaneously, their voices harmonizing: "Can you stop all three of us?" x3

Instantly, the two clones leapt off the Duel Runner and dashed towards the exits. Seeing this, Yusei instinctively chased after them. "Yusei, watch out!" Yumi screamed as a vast shadow loomed overhead.

BOOOOOM

The ground where he stood exploded, and Yusei dove forward, seeking cover. In the air, a white serpentine dragon with feathery wings and golden spikes soared, its body adorned with various rainbow-coloured gems running along both sides.

"Rainbow Dragon, eliminate him," the man commanded as the monster prepared to unleash another breath attack.

"Yubel, halt, Rainbow Dragon!" Jaden shouted, and his spirit dashed towards the beast.

"Yusei, go!" Yumi shouted, urging Yusei as he hesitated. "We'll hold him off here!" Without further hesitation, he nodded and dashed down the stairs.

"Tsk... How troublesome..." He clicked his teeth in annoyance. "Fine, I will play your games..." Holding out a card, Rainbow Dragon let out a deafening howl as it returned to its card form.

Jaden, Yumi, and Yuna exchanged glances and nodded in unison. Simultaneously, they activated their Duel Disks, fixing their opponent with intense stares.

Jaden exclaimed, "Alright! Get ready to get your game on!"

Yumi declared, "Your evil plans end here. Let's get this show started!"

Yuna vowed, "I won't let you harm anyone! I won't lose!"

The man chuckled darkly as he activated the Duel Disk on his wrist. "Heed my words; my future will be saved. For I, Paradox, will crush your futile efforts right here and now!"

"Duel!!" x4

[Paradox: 4000 LP]

[Yumi/Jaden/Yuna: 4000 LP]

Meanwhile...

Seto's head throbbed with agony as he regained consciousness, the pain pulsing as if he had been jolted awake by an external force.

Entering the hallway, he was greeted by the sight of all the students lying there, not dead but unconscious. The scene disturbed him deeply, and he quickened his steps, his subconscious leading him back to the classroom. In his mind, thoughts of a certain someone consumed him...

Entering the room, Seto's eyes hurriedly scanned the interior, but to his surprise, Yuna was nowhere to be found. Turning towards the boy gazing out of the window, Seto growled, "Yugi... Where is..."

"Sano-san left as soon as the dragon appeared," Yami Yugi calmly interrupted before Seto could finish his sentence. "I don't know where she went."

Seto's frown deepened, his gaze filled with contempt as he glared at Yami Yugi. Suddenly, footsteps echoed from the hallway, slowly approaching them. The tension in the room heightened as the door swung open, revealing an ominous figure standing in the doorway. The two duelists instinctively tensed their bodies, ready for whatever was to come.

"It's over," Paradox spoke coldly as he entered the room. "Give up the struggle; you will both die here..."

"Kaiba..." Yami Yugi muttered, his voice heavy with resignation.

Seto nodded solemnly. "I know," he replied, determination burning in his eyes as they both reached for the Duel Disks in their bags.

"Stop!" A voice shouted from the door, and Seto's glare shifted to the sudden appearance of Yusei.

Paradox glanced at Yusei with amusement. "So, you're abandoning Pegasus to chase after me? Looks like you couldn't save everyone."

Contrary to his expectations, Yusei smirked. "Do you really think we haven't considered that possibility?"

"What are you talking about?" Paradox snarled.

"You don't need to know," Yusei replied enigmatically as he activated his Duel Disk. "So, are we dueling or not?"

Paradox gritted his teeth. "Fine... Just because you're here, the outcome will never change."

"We'll see about that," Yusei mumbled confidently.

[Paradox: 4000 LP]

[Yusei/ Yugi/ Seto: 4000 LP]

At another part of the school...

"Kaiba-boy, where did you go?" Pegasus called out, his voice echoing through the empty halls. However, before advancing any further, his path was blocked by a figure standing in his way. "I'm sorry, I don't recall anyone dressing as strangely as you."

Paradox scoffed. "Keep talking for now, but your life will soon end."

"Ho-oh?" Pegasus raised one of his eyebrows. "Many people have wanted my life. You'll need to get in line."

"Enough with the jokes!" Paradox snapped, revealing his Duel Disks. "Let's get this over with." Yet, to his dismay, he sensed three new presences approaching.

"Unfortunately for you, Maximillian Pegasus won't be perishing today," a feminine voice announced while two figures stepped forward to join her. Pegasus hummed thoughtfully as he turned around.

"Ah, Madam Ishtar, I never knew you would be here today!" Pegasus said with genuine surprise.

Ishizu, Marik, and Odion brushed past Pegasus, positioning themselves protectively between him and Paradox. "We were also not expecting to be called so soon," Ishizu replied calmly. "But if the Miss has spoken, we will undoubtedly follow."

Turning to the displeased Paradox, Ishizu spoke calmly but firmly: "I apologize, but to reach Pegasus, you must get through us."

"So many insects... Just keep getting in my way!" Paradox shouted in rage. "Just like moths throwing themselves into flames! No matter how many people appear, their death was fated!"

"Hmph, to talk about fate..." Ishizu scoffed, her Millennium Necklace shining ominously. "Let me show you what true fate is!"

[Paradox: 4000 LP]

[Ishizu/ Marik/ Odion: 4000 LP]

[Yuna's POV]

This was it, the duel against Paradox. Yusei had gone to chase after the two clones, while Jaden, Yumi, and I would fight against the main body here. Thankfully, knowing that Paradox was actually an android programmed with the memories of the real Paradox who passed away in the future, the notion that there could actually be more than one body never left my nerdy mind.

"Let's get this over with; I will show you the true difference in our strength," Paradox spoke confidently as he glanced at his hand. "First, I will play Pot of Greed, drawing two cards from my deck. Then, I will activate Malefic Territory to add Malefic World to my hand. Additionally, once this card is on the field, you can't target Field Spells with card effects."

Paradox: "With this, I activate my field spell, Malefic World...."

WOOOOOSH

Suddenly, our entire surroundings began to change. The sky darkens, taking on an eerie and ominous hue as if shadows themselves are creeping across the landscape. The ground below us cracked, revealing a purplish otherworldly terrain, and the air around us became heavy with unsettling energy as if we had been transferred into an alien realm.

Staring down at us, Paradox cackled maliciously, and our bodies tensed: "Now... Let us truly begin!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you enjoy it!

[1] I still couldn't really figure out why Paradox just did not kill a young Pegasus or something so I just made something up.

20