The lamp can speak, what?!
22 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When I heard that, it instantly reminded me of this strange dream I had once. In the dream, there was this boy in the mirror, a total stranger, with these eerie red eyes. All those old feelings of fear and confusion rushed back – my heart skipped a beat, my mouth went dry, and my head started spinning. I mean, why were his eyes red?

Then this girl, whose name I didn't know, asked me again, "Didn't you used to have brown eyes, or am I mistaken?"

Honestly, I had nothing to counter that with. It's like my mouth was glued shut by some weird curse.

"Hey, everything alright?" The girl's voice brought me back.

"Um, yeah, I'm... I'm fine. Just caught me off guard, that's all," I managed to stammer.

"It's all good. But seriously, your eyes were brown before, weren't they?"

"Y-yeah, you must be remembering wrong. No big deal."

"Well, I could've sworn they were brown, but okay."

Yeah, they used to be brown...

I couldn't help but wonder – was that reflection really me? But honestly, how does that even make sense?

"Maybe we should head back to sleep. Waking the others up now doesn't seem like a great idea," I suggested.

"True, let's do that."

I got up and was about to head upstairs when she spoke again.

"By the way, I'm Nahaliel. Nice to meet you." And then she disappeared behind the door.

Nahaliel... what a cute name.

"Najin get up, it's already 7 o'clock or we'll have a bang!"

"Chitanda let him, maybe he's still tired, I think he always sleeps so late..." said Kida.

"Then you have to teach him not to sleep so late.".

"Oh really? And how do you propose I do that?"

Out of nowhere, someone leaped up, blocking the annoying sunlight and driving an elbow into my chest.

"AGHHH!" I yelled, my voice echoing with pain.

"Seems like it's working, HA HA."

Phew, phew, phew... I took quick, deep breaths, as if I were on the brink of death. 

"ARE YOU TRYING TO MAKE ME DIZZY? I COULD'VE KICKED THE BUCKET, YOU WITCH!"

"But you didn't. You should be thanking your lucky stars that you're alive and kicking, HA HA HA."

Her laughter gave me the creeps. With that kind of expression, she could pass for a cackling witch straight out of a fairytale.

"Guess you're awake now, Najin...haha," Kida nervously smirked, half-apologetic.

The sun was up, and the day felt warmer than the city we hailed from. Birds were chirping, and the weather was just delightful.

"The girl's not home anymore, in case you're curious. She's off at the school, getting her combat training," Chitanda informed us.

"Well, no hard feelings about that. Water under the bridge and, honestly..."

Before I could even finish my sentence, she interrupted me once more.

"But guess what? Her dad's driving us over, so we won't be twiddling our thumbs. Sounds pretty cool, doesn't it?"

That threw me for a loop. She's part of a school that dabbles in magic or something?

"So, when's this happening?"

"Right this very moment," Kida added, a mischievous grin on his face.

We started walking down the street, entering the vast expanse of the city. It was huge, with stores of all shapes and sizes scattered all around – small shops, medium-sized outlets, and large stores, each catering to different tastes and needs. What struck me the most was the positive vibe that seemed to permeate the air, with people genuinely friendly and ready to assist, especially the elderly folks.

"Hey, tell me, did you fall head over heels the moment you laid eyes on the daughter? I mean, who can blame you, right? Happens to the best of us, ha ha ha!" he blurted out, laughing heartily.

"Nah, I wasn't that smitten," I mumbled, making sure the two walking ahead of me didn't catch my words.

"Well, yesterday you sure seemed frozen, like a statue, ha ha ha."

"Yesterday was yesterday. Past is past, you know. Got to move on."

I could feel my ears burning, and my face turning red slowly – that girl had quite an effect.

"Don't worry, we've all been there, kid. We're almost there, so chin up!" he chuckled.

Their training hall was pretty much the same size as ours, with plenty of different gear and even a fighting arena squeezed in.

But the place wasn't bustling; it was just them, their gang.

"Hey there! So glad you could make it," she said, all fired up.

"Yeah, no sweat, someone couldn't say no," came the casual reply.

Say no to what? Wait, was that about me!?

"Easy there, Citando," Kida cut in.

"Heh, alright, let me introduce you to my crew. That guy on my right with the muscles is Daniel, our tank – you can tell just by looking. Then right on the left is Gabriel, our sneaky trickster. He's quick as hell and blends into shadows like it's nothing. Lastly, we've got Arael. She's the healer, and trust me, her mana skills are off the charts!"

Man, they all look so damn fit. Even the little girl with the black hair. Those blue eyes of hers are something else. But her expression, kinda killing the vibe. Can't tell if she's uninterested in us or just perpetually bored. And well, her body speaks for itself – pretty darn impressive. The other two aren't slacking either, but Daniel, man, he's like a wall. A bit intimidating. Meanwhile, Gabriel could pass for a damn angel with that blond hair.

"Great to meet you guys," Gabriel chimed in, reaching out his hand to Chitanda.

"Yeah, nice to meet you too," Chitanda replied, a tad weirded out.

"Hope we all hit it off," Nahaliel added.

We moved on into the locker rooms and they handed us black kimonos. Stylish choice, black suits them. Though there's a hint of gray at the bottom part of the kimono.

"Najin, I'm gonna go hang with the gang. You take your time changing."

"No worries, take your time. I'll catch up."

And with that, he vanished behind the door.

Their kimonos were on point, all sleek black. Except for a touch of gray at the hem.

As I stood up to catch my reflection in the mirror, my legs gave way, leaving me unable to stand.

"What?" My surprise was evident in my voice.

I was certain it couldn't be anything serious – at least, that was my initial thought.

In a desperate attempt to regain my balance, my reality descended into a whirlwind of confusion. I found myself once again sprawled on the floor. My knees were throbbing intensely, and my hands were tightly clutching the ground. It felt as though the air was being sucked out of my body.

"What on earth is happening?!"

Abruptly, excruciating screams tore through my head, as if a relentless force was striking it with a hammer. And what did I do? I screamed. My scream seemed capable of expelling all the insanity bottled up within me. I repeatedly slammed my skull against the unforgiving floor, my scream a manifestation of chaos and despair.

For the love of all that's holy, make it stop...

Out of nowhere, the pain vanished. But as I looked at the mirror once more, the next shock was waiting.

The person staring back at me from the mirror no longer resembled myself.

It was his hair that caught my attention, cascading in long, dark splendor. Its deep hue seemed to swallow the room's light. The ends of his hair nearly brushed the floor, giving him an almost surreal appearance. Yet, what truly captivated me were his eyes – glowing a deep red, resembling burning coals. His pupils were dilated, slitted like a cat's. They bore into me, piercing my soul. His features were immaculate; his nose neither too small nor too large, a perfect fit for his face.

This couldn't possibly be real! No, it's impossible. Why would my appearance change so drastically? There must be an explanation! Something, anything. The voice... yes!

"Hey! Voice, answer me as you do in my dreams! Answer me now!" My words were a blend of fear and anger.

No response echoed back. Had I been ignored? Did the voice truly exist? Was I losing my mind? But then why would I look like this? What is happening...

"Najin, come on! How much longer? We're all waiting, you know!" Kida's voice reverberated down the hallway, each word a sharp note of urgency that twisted my insides.

Oh no, not now, not in this moment of all moments! I have to get out, escape this suffocating pressure!

My heart pounded against my ribs like a trapped bird, desperate to break free. I lunged for the window as if my life depended on it, scrambling, fumbling, my fingers slipping against the sill in my haste, the panic lending me a rush of unnatural strength.

"Where do I even go?" My thoughts were a frantic whirlwind, a storm of anxiety and confusion that clouded my mind.

Into the forest I sprinted, each footfall a thunderous reminder of my desperate bid for freedom. Twigs snapped underfoot, leaves whipped against my skin, and the very air seemed to hold its breath, as if it, too, was aware of the turmoil that had enveloped me.

My kimono caught on a jutting branch, a sharp, unforgiving tug that tore through the delicate fabric with an audible rip. The physical pain was eclipsed by the sting of my scars being laid bare, angry wounds that pulsed with the memory of their infliction, now marred by the fresh rivulets of blood that painted my skin.

"Dammit!" The expletive escaped my lips as my body hit the forest floor, knees and palms bearing the brunt of my collapse.

Legs that had carried me on this frenzied flight now throbbed in protest, muscles protesting with fiery intensity. Time had slipped through my grasp, the sun sinking below the horizon, casting elongated shadows that danced around me, as if mocking my futile attempt at escape.

"What's that? A house?" My eyes strained against the encroaching darkness, making out the faint silhouette of a structure, a solitary outpost amidst the wilderness.

A house, here, in the heart of this chaotic retreat? Questions warred with disbelief in my mind, each a relentless reminder of how far from normal this situation was.

I needed respite, a fleeting moment to catch my breath, to still the frantic beat of my heart. Leaning against a massive stone, its cool surface a stark contrast to the feverish heat of my skin, I clung to it as if it were an anchor, my ragged breaths a symphony of panic amidst the encroaching symphony of the night.

POV: Chitanda.

"Najin, for the love of all that's holy, how much longer are we supposed to wait?" Kida's voice cracked with frustration, slicing through the air like a knife.

As anticipated, silence lingered in response, the same old predictable silence. Najin had mastered the art of leaving us hanging, an unreliable enigma that always kept us waiting.

"Sometimes, I swear, I wish he'd vanish into thin air. This waiting game is pushing all the wrong buttons."

And still, no answer. The tension was building into an uncomfortable crescendo, like the calm before a storm...

"I'll poke around inside. You stay put until then." Kida's attempt to defuse the situation only seemed to amplify the unease.

The door creaked open under his push, and he stepped in, swallowed by the ominous quiet.

"Hey, Kida? You holding up in there?"

My patience was wearing thin, and curiosity got the best of me – I nudged the door ajar and entered myself.

And then I saw it.

Kida stood there, a portrait of shock and terror, his gaze locked onto something that was clearly not meant for mortal eyes. Tremors coursed through him, as if he was trying to voice something unspeakable but couldn't muster the words.

"Kida?" My voice wavered with a mix of concern and apprehension.

Just as I was about to complete my sentence, his words burst forth, a disheveled symphony of fear and urgency.

"B-b-blood."

Blood? My eyes darted around the room, hunting for the source of his distress, but there was no blood in sight...

"What the devil..."

The room adjacent, housing a once-pristine mirror, had transformed into a scene of nightmarish beauty – blood splattered across its surface, the mirror's reflection fragmented into a thousand fractured versions of our reality. The atmosphere was heavy with an unspoken terror, an unexpected manifestation of my own unvoiced wishes. 

"Chitanda... What do we do now?" Kida's voice quivered, hanging in the air like a question that nobody dared to answer.

Was someone injured? Attacked? By whom, and where was Najin?

"We can trace the blood trail, but how do we even begin to explain this to the others?"

The trail led to the window, then disappeared into the night, a faint echo of horror.

"What in God's name is unfolding here?"

A shiver traced its way down my spine as we stood at the precipice of the inexplicable. But before we leaped into assumptions, we needed to gather the others – only hope whispered that Najin was still out there, somewhere, intact and unharmed.

POV: Najin.

"What's the ruckus, my friend? This corner isn't exactly a prime snooze spot," the voice quipped wittily.

"Sure, you might choose to ignore your less-than-handsome father, but ignoring my presence is not an option," the voice continued with a touch of slyness.

As I gradually shook off the cobwebs of sleep and pried open an eye, a realization dawned. A surge of energy – could it be mana? I pondered, my mind awhirl.

"Down here, chap, that's where I am. Inside the lamp."

Lamp? Wait, there's only one down here.

Undoubtedly, something resided in that space, emanating an ethereal glow. It resembled an ancient lamp, lost in the sands of time, yet still radiating light. An enigma, to say the least. 

"Pick me up, chop-chop!" the lamp's command resonated.

"Just hold your horses..." I complied, grabbing the lamp and setting it upright.

"Now, who might you be?"

Can a lamp hold a conversation? Does it possess consciousness, or have I gone completely crazy? How's speech even on the table here?

"Don't go pointing fingers at others, mate. I'm no ordinary lamp; I'm within the lamp, dear befuddled soul!"

Hold up, can he read my thoughts?

"Nice try, but I can't pick up your brainwaves. I can, however, make an educated guess with minds that move slower than a snail."

This lamp's got some attitude...

"You better count your lucky stars for stumbling upon me. If not, you'd be lugging me around like a sack of potatoes."

"Take you along? Why, and to where?" My curiosity was piqued.

"All in good time, my feeble friend. You're not quite up to the task of transporting me just yet. That's why I've got grand plans to bulk you up."

Strengthen me? But how?

"Relax, leave that to me. Responsibility isn't exactly your middle name. Now, here's a question for you – ever been schooled on the consciousness sea technique?"

The what now?

"Not a clue, huh? Seems thinking isn't your strong suit. Basic stuff, mate. Basic stuff."

1