Chapter 24
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Killian

 

Jasmin had not shown up for work.

Did something happen?

"Maybe she's sick", Mailo reflected. The two were on their way to Killian's grandmother, who ran a candy store.

"Jasmin is a vampire. They don't get sick", Killian shook his head. "No. Something's wrong."

"Are you sure? She has only recently started to work with you. Maybe she doesn't like it." Malio shrugged. "She's only a year younger than us, isn't she? Maybe she has changed her mind? Spontaneous? Just like me? A few weeks ago?" Malio had very spontaneously quit his job to work elsewhere. For the fourth time in a year.

"Just because you're erratic doesn't mean others have to be." Killian sighed. "No. Something happened. I can't explain it any other way."

"And when you pass by her house? To ask?"

"No. Her family doesn't like humans very much." Was she okay? Was Malio right? Killian remembered very well playing with Jasmin as a child. Once. After that, he saw her from afar from time to time, but she seemed unreachable. And she never saw him.

He had liked her. His first great love. But it was not much more than childish enthusiasm. A few years later, at thirteen, he had his first girlfriend. The relationship lasted about three weeks. After that, Mailo was in a short relationship with the same girl, only to find that he liked her brother better. And that he didn't like girls at all. The girl resented both Mailo and Killian, who didn't contribute anything to it. However, she saw it differently.

When the two arrived at Killian's grandmother's house, she gave them a large bag of candy and honey rolls for the werewolf family. Mailo eyed the sweet rolls enviously. Killian and he were given some candies. They had a cup of tea with the old lady, then made their way back to the bookstore to bring the presents to the wolves.

"Maybe she had an accident?" Killian pulled at his hair. "Jasmin seemed to me to be very reliable. So, why didn't she come?"

"Well, you seem to really like her!" Mailo winked at him with amusement. "She's very pretty, yes. Maybe she'll come to work tomorrow. With an explanation. And then you can confess your great love to her and marry her! Right away! On the spot!"

"Very funny, Mailo. She's beautiful. And a vampire. I don't think I stand a chance with her. And her family would certainly be against it. I’m human. I'm sure they want to see a vampire by their daughter's side", Killian grumbled.

"Oh? But she's different?"

He nodded. "She is."

"Then you should run away together!"

"Mailo!" Laughing, Killian shook his head.

They walked along the busy streets. Mailo was already enjoying one of the candies out of one of the paper bags they had received. He happily planned Killian's wedding until the bookstore was in sight. "And then the wedding night arrives! Well... If you need tips. Ole and I are at your disposal to help you w... Oh!" Mailo stopped in surprise. "What's my favorite brother doing here?"

"Trouble!" Killian frowned. Mailo's older brother Dean and his fan club were waiting outside the bookstore. Dean's best friend Simon smeared the windows of the bookstore with red paint. Pelmo, Dean's girlfriend, leaned against him in love.

"How unfavorable", Mailo muttered. "Apparently, my little brother is bored."

"Simon! Dean! What's the point of this!", shouted Killian. Enraged, he ran to them and snatched the paint out of Simon's hands. Sighing, Mailo strolled after him.

Simon grinned. "Ah! Killian and his girlfriend! I heard that a vampire works for your family. That's why I'm decorating your windows!"

"And?" Mailo rolled his eyes.

Dean looked at his brother annoyed. " Well, darling! Does the vampire drink your friend's blood? We don’t want him to die of anemia!"

"Are you worried about Killian?" Mailo rolled his eyes. "How cute! Maybe you should break up with Pelmo and try your luck with Killian!"

"You!" Furious, Dean jumped up. At the same time, Mert tore open the door of the bookstore.

"Dean, Pelmo, and Simon! You clean this up!", he roared. The three nineteen-year-olds looked at him briefly, Pelmo stuck her tongue out, and then they ran away laughing.

Mert shook his head. "Really! Will the three of them never grow up? Mailo? I'll talk to your parents about it! The damage must be paid! The three of them can't get away with it."

"I’m sorry", Mailo muttered.

"It wasn’t your fault!" Mert sighed. "Cleaning the windows costs more than I can afford at the moment... I really don't need any more trouble today..."  But then they saw Niklas Bergweg, the head of the blood center and Mert's best friend, accompanied by two soldiers from the witches' territory, walking down the street. He seemed nervous. "Wonderful! More trouble!", Mert snorted.

One of the soldiers approached Mert and the two boys. "Hello!", he smiled kindly. The soldier seemed young, but that didn't have to mean anything. Maybe he was a wizard and older than he looked. "Oh! Are these candies?" He looked at the paper bags in Killian's and Mailo's hands. The two nodded.

"Enjoy your meal, boys!", the soldier continued.

"Hello." Mert frowned and almost casually went in front of Mailo and Killian. "Can I help you?"

"Indeed!", said the soldier. "We have permission from the mayor to look for refugees here. A werewolf family. Criminals. They are very dangerous! Did you see wolves nearby?"

Mert shook his head. Nervously, he tugged at his dark shirt, but the soldier did not notice. "No. You maybe, boys?"

Killian and Mailo also denied it. "We didn't see any wolves!", said Killian, trying to stay calm. If the soldier wanted to search the house, it would be a disaster.

The soldier nodded. "We'll be in town for a few more days. Please contact us if you notice anything unusual."

"Of course. Good luck with your search", Mert promised, looking briefly at Niklas, who nodded at him.

When the soldiers were out of sight, Killian, his father, and Mailo felt relieved. They brought the sweets and also a pot of tea to the guests. That they were supposed to be dangerous criminals was, of course, a lie. Presumably, the foreign soldiers had obtained permission to search for the wolves by telling this lie. Quietly, Mert ranted about it. Mailo and Killian, on the other hand, were just glad that they had been believed.

The werewolves were delighted with the gifts. But it didn't escape their notice that Mert was angry about something.  Stella wanted to know if everything was okay and if Mert had already found a home for her. But Mert, worried, told them about the soldiers. For the time being, they had to stay in the basement and be quiet.

"If anyone saw us...", Bruno muttered nervously.

"No one will betray you!" Killian promised quickly. "I'm sure of that. Everyone knows that the reign of the Witch Queen is cruel. Only a fool would act in her favor."

"And no one wants to risk a war with her!", murmured Mailo, scurrying through Tom's soft hair. The little boy looked at him wide-eyed.

"But you're protecting us, aren't you?", he asked.

Mailo nodded. "Of course! Nothing will happen to you or your parents. Until you have a new home, we are your family!"

Tom happily hugged the older boy. Mert smiled languidly. "We brought you here during the day. At this time, everyone is asleep. No one will tell the soldiers about you. And only friends know about you. Loyal friends who won't say anything." Like Niklas. He was able to keep secrets to himself.

Killian gave Tom one of the candies he got from his grandmother. Tom thanked him with a big hug. But Killian couldn't be happy about that. First, Jasmin did not show up for work, and then soldiers searched the city.

What should Killian do?
  • Go to Jasmin's house and ask about what happened? Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wait for her to show up? Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Asking for help? Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eat all the candy? Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 0
0