Chapter 4
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a walk through the plains thinking of a plan I eventually reached a line of trees which clearly divided the plains and the forest. Looking past these enormous trees full of branches it was clear that even during the day not much sunlight made it through the branches, let alone the moonlight which I had now. Another thing which was clear to me was the forest was full of life with animals being heard from multiple  directions in the distance. As I had already developed my plan on the way to the forest, all I had to do now was execute it.

The first thing which I did was remove my scent by rubbing mud, flowers, bark, anything that I could get my hands on against my body. Once I felt that I was concealed enough I climbed a suitable tree and traversed by jumping from tree to tree. Traversing this way wasn't too difficult because the branches of the trees are sturdy enough to hold my weight.  My plan was to travel this way towards the noises in the distance until I found a certain one. This went on for a while and the more I traveled, the more accustomed I became at navigating myself from branch to branch as if it was on solid ground until eventually I heard the noise I was seeking and made my way in the direction of cries of an animal which was most likely being attacked.

As I got closer the time between the loud wails became further apart and eventually they were simply exhausted grunts. It was at this moment when I finally reached what I was looking for. Below me on the ground was a medium sized animal which was covered in fur and had collapsed to the ground. Although it was dark and many features were difficult to see, it was clear that they had a large injury from the blood which had now pooled up on the ground and was reflected by the moonlight.

At this point all I would have to do would go down and retrieve the corpse but that wasn't what I wanted. My goal was to bring back whatever had caused this. So I simply waited in a crouching position in the tree above the carcass with my sword and held it with both hands on the hilt and the point of the bade directed towards the ground.

Eventually the sound of tree branches which I had thrown in the floor breaking was heard catching my attention. As I turn my eyes to pay attention I make sure to not move any part of my body. 

Similar to the first creature it appeared to be walking on all fours and have a coat of fur although the fur on this one appeared to be thicker. What made this one different was not just its coat but also its eyes which were sharp and yellow and its pointed ears. As it made its way to the carcass it waited for a second inspecting the corpse. It then began to sniff the flesh and sunk its sharp teeth into the flesh. 

Knowing how close I was to my goal my heart began to beat significantly faster and created a noise that was so overwhelming it became the only thing I could hear. My hands began to shake and sweat was accumulating all over my body, but I knew that its attention was focused on the food. I began to lean my weight forward which caused me to slide off the branch directly on the creature. My blade was already pointed to the ground and as I fell I simply directed it towards its back which would be the easiest and largest target.

The very moment that the tip of my blade touched its fur a loud yelp came out of its mouth and it lifted its body up. This movement caused me to lose my balance leading to me being in a position where my body, from my head to my stomach was on top of the animal and my body below the waist was on the ground with my hands above my head as I maintained my grip on the hilt of the sword.

The creature first began to aggressively bite at the location of where it was pierced which granted me a few moments to regain my footing. Once I was standing, its attention shifted from its wound to me as it gave me a growl but it was too late at this point. I pushed the blade forward while it was still embedded into it causing the wound to grow in size and the amount of blood coming out to increase. The creature tried to struggle but as it was now essentially pinned this only led to the wound growing. Its jerking motions caused blood to go flying everywhere and some of its smaller organs were beginning to slip out of the wound. After a few seconds it eventually went limp and bled out.

Now that it was dead I took a moment to compose myself and have a proper look at the scene. Seeing the corpse it began to make me nauseous and it was clear that if I decided to take this back it would cause me more problems with organs coming out and the strong smell of blood. So instead I decided to take its head and run as fast as I could back before the feeling of excitement left my body. 

Coming to this conclusion I pulled out the sword from the corpse but with this came multiple growls behind me. I turned my head to the source of the growling and saw 3 pairs of narrow yellow eyes staring at me. 

“It just had to be wolves."

Saying this I take a stance and prepare myself to confront the three creatures which I had never seen, but now understood were wolves.

0