Chapter 2: Do You Accept My Challenge?
23 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lao Xing arrives with his son at the town center. Before he walks in the door the villagers have already gathered outside the building and began chatting about the arrival of the royal envoy. The only people allowed inside at this time are the heads of the Xing family and any village leaders.

As he walks up the stairs with his son Lao Xing turns around to address the crowd of people who have gathered before him - a group of over a hundred people.

“Attention everyone, as your noble lord I shall speak with the royal envoy and relay the message of the emperor to you all once I have finished. In the meantime please wait patiently and act civilly while we are inside.”

Hearing his confident voice that sounded like it carried the power of twelve men made everyone feel relieved.

People within the crowd began nodding their heads in agreement that Lao Xing could handle whatever brought the royal envoy to their village.

“He’s our noble lord, and a good one at that. There’s no reason to worry.”

“That’s right. Lao Xing is a respectable man whom we all cherish as our lord. Let’s leave him to his work.”

Bei Xing watched as his father’s one address to the people calmed their nerves and set them at ease.

He looks up at Lao Xing who is already staring at him.

“Let us go inside and see what the envoy has to say.”

“As you say father.”

Bei Xing follows his dad inside and the two guards that were with them stop at the door as it closes before turning around to guard it.

The royal envoy is talking to She Xing, Lao Xing’s brother and Bei Xing’s uncle. The envoy is surprisingly fat for a representative of the emperor. He wears a crimson red robe with gold touches to it which signify that he is a royal envoy - one who carries the words of the emperor. Aside from the exquisite robe and his round shape nothing else sticks out about him. He has balding brown hair and a thin moustache as well as light brown eyes filled with glutinous intention.

Lao Xing approaches the envoy who turns around after She Xing’s gesture.

“Ah at last Lao Xing arrives. I was just talking to your brother here, he seems like a fine man.”

“Thank you for your words of kindness dear envoy.”

The envoy faces She Xing again.

“Of course, an outstanding man like you could even hold the position of noble lord!”

The envoy pats She Xing on the shoulder as he laughs while She Xing lets out a smirk. He then turns around and faces Lao Xing again.

“Well then Lao Xing allow me to introduce myself. I am Wei Zhifang, the royal envoy of his excellence the Emperor.”

Lao Xing bows to the envoy and greets him back.

“It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance Sir Zhifang. How was your journey to the village?”

“Don’t even get me started on that story Lord Xing. Your little village is in a very remote area of the northern region of our grand Silver Empire. It took me weeks to get here without the royal horses. That carriage was less than suiting for the occasion in fact.”

“What might the occasion be Sir Zhifang?”

“Oh that’s right you people remain somewhat cut off from the rest of the empire.”

Wei Zhifang chuckles and proceeds to walk toward Lao Xing before stopping a few steps shy of him. He then pulls out a scroll from his robe and hands it to Lao Xing.

Lao Xing unravels the scroll and his eyes open wide with excitement as they meet the page.

The scroll reads:
[The time has come once again for the empire to begin enrollment into Silver Peak Academy. I understand the timing is odd considering we hold enrollment exams once every four years, but these are dire times. Our enemies continue expanding their power and I am afraid that our Silver Empire must respond. Hence the headmaster of Silver Peak Academy is working close with me to add new faces to the academy and imperial army. Because of this I am allowing every city and village within the empire to send their most talented youth to the academy in order to begin their studies in the mystic arts. Only in the case of special exceptions will we allow more than one applicant to be sent to the academy. The duty of selecting the applicant will be left up to the Noble Lords that oversee their respective domains. I look forward to welcoming in the next generation of exceptional practitioners. May the heavens bless you all. (followed by the emperor’s mark of approval)]

“The Emperor is allowing us to send one of our youth to the prestigious Silver Peak Academy? This is amazing!”

Lao Xing was usually a calm and relaxed figure, but this news was even too much for him to handle. His eyes were lit up with emotion and he spoke quickly.

“Yes Lord Xing it is true. Our enemies to the West and East have begun expanding their militaries. It is only right that we respond and act quickly."

Lao Xing became more composed after noticing his son tugging on his robe to calm down.

“Yes Sir Zhifang. It shall be my honor to send one of our youth to the Silver Peak Academy and have them learn the mystic arts from world class teachers.”

“Perfect, your cooperation is both ordered and appreciated. But before I go your brother She Xing said that your son is unable to practice any of the mystic arts. Is this true?”

Bei Xing’s face turned red as he began boiling with anger. Seeing that his son was unhappy with the envoy’s remark he grabs his son on the shoulder and shoots a stern look at him. Bei Xing sees his father’s eyes full of determination and stands down.

“This is true, but it is not my brother’s place to be mentioning such information.”

“What a shame that your own son will not be able to attend the academy. I feel bad for you.”

“My son is a courageous person. He has an indomitable will and incredible grit. Do not count him out yet.”

“Oh we’ll see then shall we Lord Xing? Thank you for receiving the emperor’s message. I will now be off.”

Wei Zhifeng walks out of the town center while being escorted by the royal guards and boards his carriage again. The villagers look on with enthusiasm, wondering what the message he brought with him was.

She Xing walks forward toward his brother and opens his mouth, unveiling a crooked smile. He’s much older than Lao Xing and has long grey hair that is held up in a ponytail. Most of the villagers see him as a snake that cannot be trusted, which is odd considering Lao Xing is so highly respected.

“What a shame that my nephew the cripple will not be able to attend the academy. It looks like my son Duan Xing will have to be sent instead.”

The tone of She Xing’s voice is obviously sarcastic and meant to tease at his younger brother Lao Xing.

“You dare speak of my son in such a manner?”

Lao Xing looks down on his brother with a killer stare.

“No no no, why would I ever? I just simply mean that sending a cripple to the academy would be preposterous! Therefore sending my son makes more sense than sending Bei Xing.”

“I have no intention of sending Duan Xing. Bei Xing shall go to the academy and hopefully he can awaken a talent for one of the mystic arts.”

“Is this a joke to you?”

She Xing erupted.

“My son is a martial artist that is already in the 3rd Layer of the Apprentice Realm at the age of 14! He has generational talent! How can you send your crippled Bei Xing in his stead?”

For martial artists that cultivate the mystic arts their level of training is split up into realms which consist of five layers. The first realm is the apprentice realm which is followed by the novice, master, grand master, and deity realms.

“As the emperor said on the scroll, the noble lord shall make the final decision as to whom will be sent to the academy. And my choice has already been made.”

“You ignorant younger brother of mine! This is outrageous! The heavens will not sit idly and watch as you make such a terrible decision.”

Just as She Xing’s voice raises to the point where everyone outside can hear him Bei Xing steps in.

“Uncle I do not wish to take the spot from my cousin Duan Xing. If he wants to go to the Academy as well then I shall fight him for the spot a month from now on the training grounds.”

“How bold of you to make such a deal with me?”

“Son do not get out of line that is a bet which you cannot win.”

“I know father, but I do not wish to be fed on a silver spoon my entire life. You’ve been there supporting me since I was born so now it is time to return the favor by bringing honor to our family name.”

“If you wish to do so my son then I shall allow it. I enjoy that fiery passion within your eyes. You truly are a strong young man.”

Bei Xing bows to his father.

“Thank you father, I live to make you and the rest of our family happy.”

He then turns and faces his uncle.

“Well, what will it be uncle? You aren't scared now are you?”

Bei Xing pokes at his uncle's temper using his tone and that last remark.

Realizing that his anger is getting out of hand She Xing lets out a deep breath.

“We accept your challenge. One month from now at the village training grounds you shall battle my son Duan Xing for the right to attend Silver Peak Academy.”

“It is done then. Don’t chicken out now uncle!”

Bei Xing winks and then returns to his father.

“Let’s go now father, our work here is done.”

Lao Xing’s face was locked on his son the entire time. Now it shows nothing but happiness and respect for his son.

“Indeed Bei Xing, let us return home and see what your mother prepared for dinner. You have done well today.”

Lao Xing then wraps his arm around his son and leads him outside to address the people.

She Xing is now alone in the town center as he let's out a maniacal laugh.

"It appears as though Bei Xing inherited his father's guts. Too bad for him he cannot back up his words with his fists. I'll make sure that Duan Xing punishes him during that challenge fight. That way he can never show his face in this village ever again."

Lao Xing exits the town center and greets the massive crowd which is now larger than before.

“Attention villagers of Luse Village. The royal envoy has brought a message saying that the emperor will allow us to send one youth to the Silver Peak Academy in order to study the mystic arts.”

The entire crowd now grew to over two hundred people compared to the one hundred that was there before. Their facial expressions lit up with excitement and pride in the fact that the emperor was giving them such an opportunity.

“Out of respect for the challenge, my son Bei Xing shall battle his cousin Duan Xing on the village training grounds one month from now. The winner of that battle will be given the right to attend the academy in the name of our village.”

As he says this the entire crowd looks on in confusion.

“What? Isn’t Duan Xing already an Apprentice Realm 3rd Layer martial arts cultivator? Having him fight Bei Xing is like sending Bei Xing to his death!”

The entire crowd was stunned by the words of Lao Xing, whose facial expression remains poised as he walks through the crowd with his son at his side.

Bei Xing can hear the murmurs of the people around him and thinks to himself…

“I may not be strong enough now. But the heavens have given me a chance to prove myself. And I will not let my father down.”

Chapter End.

1