Prologue
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She was perfect for him. At a young age of 13, she confessed to him, and without hesitation, he accepted the confession.

They were the best young couple in school. They did everything together in school, and went to each other's house to study together.

The only downside was that she believed in the supernatural. She would always tell him about how ghosts are real and are present everywhere around us, but being the "seeing is believing" kind of person, he would say otherwise. They would always have cute couple fights about it and they would laugh it off after the small arguments.

However, there was a reason why she confessed at such a young age.

She had an incurable disease that would make her die slowly, and her doctors told her that she had a few months left to live.

She did not tell him, because she didn't want him to pity her while dating her.

It was only when she couldn't come to school due to the disease, and her parents told him about it.

He was shocked. He was devastated. He had a guess that there was something wrong with her whenever she coughed during their little arguments, and when she was breathless ten minutes after just walking around when they were hanging out together.

But it was just a guess. He never knew that all the time spent with her was just to make her more tired than she already is.

She did her best to fulfil their lives to the best of her abilities. Now he has to do his part.

He would visit her everyday in the hospital. They would still continue to study and play together in her hospital room till her time was up.

That day finally came. The heart monitor she was connected to turned into a flat line.

When he saw his girlfriend’s heart was no longer pumping, his life stopped. She was all that made him happy. She completed him. The person who was his heart is gone and there is nothing, but pain left. She is the one who gave him the strength to live on. Now she is gone, he feels empty. Like he is a walking husk without a purpose. He wishes that he could have just done something, anything.

That was when he saw a notebook that was beside her bed. He flipped it open to see that it was a… diary?

No, it was a daily to-do list. Memories came flushing into his brain. She had fulfilled every single thing she wanted to do with him. There were even some small notes at the bottom with cute handwriting on some days, some of it saying: "For dinner, I cooked him Japanese curry as well, and he seems to enjoy it!"

"Pointed out some careless mistakes he missed out on, what a blind guy he is.."

"Gave him my precious pen cause he forgot to bring his whole stationery case, this guy is so forgetful…"

"He got good grades for his tests! I'm so glad that all the studying sessions work!"

"The movie tickets sold out, but we still got to do lots of shopping and I'm glad he wasn't bored of it!"

Tears flooded his eyes while flipping through the notebook. She was very dedicated in making her last days the best for the both of them.

He started to feel guilty. If only he could be the one initiating some, or even most of the activities when they were dating. If only someone told him about her disease, he would have spent much more time with her. If only…

… he could talk to her again once more.

That night, when he reluctantly returned from the hospital, he ran to his room with her notebook, and continued to read while on bed. He reached the very last page of the notebook, which was dated today.

Two points were unfulfilled.

  • Talk to him one last time
  • Make him believe in the supernatural, just like I do

He gave a little giggle at the last point while looking down at the notebook.

"Silly," he muttered. "Didn't I tell you? There is no such thing as ghosts."

He paused for a while before continuing, "Maybe I would if you appeared in front of me right now…"

"Hehe, will you believe me now?" A female voice suddenly spoke out of nowhere.

A familiar female voice that he has yet to hear for a long time.

He looked up.

There she was. With the long silky hair that he remembered clearly. The sparkle in her eyes. The gentle smile that she had when she was with him. It was surely her, but there was something wrong with her appearance.

She was pale, and it was as if she was translucent. He could see his study table through her body.

He was stunned. He didn't know what to do. He was in a dilemma of whether to hug her, kiss her, touch her face again, or do anything physical to her so that he can feel her love and warmth again.

But above all, he couldn't stop himself from crying.

He looked down, ashamed to show his girlfriend his embarrassing and pitiful state.

She felt bad for him, and wanted to lift his head up to see him face-to-face.

But her hand only passed through him. She then remembered.

She was only a ghost now.

With a sorrowful smile, and a warm gentle voice, she told him to look up at her.

He did so with tears still flooding his eyes. She also had some tears in her eyes as well.

"I was glad I could talk to you one last time," she said, with a voice that calmed his heart.

"Do you believe me now that ghosts exist, seeing me like…" She put her hand on his cheeks.

"...this?" Her hand went through him, and yet he couldn't feel anything at all.

He was stunned. He felt a bit of fear since this was all new to him, but more importantly, he felt depressed that he couldn't feel her warm gentle touch like the time in school, or even in the hospital anymore.

So she was right the entire time, he thought.

He started to believe.

Her eyes started to sparkle in the moonlight that shone brightly through the clear glass window. She looked like she was also going to cry for the same reason as him.

She, as a ghost, could not feel his warm touch as well.

She tried to hold back her tears, trying to look away from him and continued what she was going to say while stuttering, "I guess…"

She looked at him again with a pitiful and sorrowful gaze. "... this will be the last time you will see me."

"... Huh?" His eyes grew bigger with more shock. He was still accepting the fact that she was a ghost, and now this was the last time seeing her? How could he accept this?

"Well you see," she continued. "I realised that ghosts stay here with humans on Earth because they have yet to fulfil their final wishes."

He remembered the notebook with the final two points unchecked at the very last page.

With tears that could not be contained anymore in her eyes, she sniffed and said to him, "I have finally fulfilled that, and I can finally rest in peace."

She tried to cup both of her hands on his cheeks again, but they could not feel each others' warmth.

"I have a final request for you before I go." She said, with tears filled in her eyes. She was reluctant to leave her most beloved person. But what has to be done has been completed, and what she has to say has been said.

"Do your best to fulfil other ghosts' final wishes, just like what I did before I met you." She gave a gentle smile, doing her best to hold back her tears. Unfortunately, the tears still ran down her translucent cheeks, which were seemingly going to disappear soon.

"..." This was such a heavy request coming from her. But he understood. He was going to help her. Anything for her.

"I will." He also had tears run down his cheeks, while seeing her fade away. He gave a bittersweet smile. "I will do my best. For you."

She couldn't be more happier, yet depressed at the same time than this small moment with him.

"See you on the other side. It was nice knowing you, Joseph." With this, she closed her eyes, and gave the sweetest smile imaginable. Joseph, the boy that was kneeling on the bed, could not see her anymore.

Tears from Joseph's cheeks kept leaking from his eyes. He also smiled while sniffing. He put his palms together, closed his eyes like he was praying, and said with reluctance, "It was also nice knowing you, Emily. May you rest in peace."

After a long while of praying and crying, he went to his study table, took the precious pen that Emily gave him that one time where he forgot his stationery case, and ticked the last two boxes in her notebook.

He also wrote a small note at the bottom of the page, just like how Emily did when she wanted to reminisce on a memory for that day.

"He cried so much when he saw me as a ghost. What a baby he is!"

His tears smudged the page with his shaky handwriting.

0