Chapter 103 : Hearsay
359 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 103

Hearsay

 

Two-day distance from South Hill Castle

The messenger dressed in bright clothes but covered with an inconspicuous brown traveling coat entered the tent, knelt, and reported, "My Lord, My Lady, a message from Dietrich."

"Speak," Lansius instructed.

"We rescued children and their families from rampaging guardsmen, capturing six men. None have escaped. That's the message from Dietrich. He also ordered us to bring two of the most cooperative captives to you, under escort, for questioning."

Lansius nodded but refrained from commenting.

"When did this happen?" Sir Harold inquired.

"Four days ago Sir. It took us three days to find you."

"Have they discovered our intentions?" the knight continued.

"No, Sir, at least not yet. The villagers are mostly on our side, and they believed the story that we're armed because of bandits."

Audrey asked, "I ordered Dietrich not to make contact. Why did he break the disguise?"

"Maester Sigmund encountered children on the run and took pity on them."

Audrey gazed at Lansius, who nodded once. "We'll record his mistake in the book, but that comes later. Sooner or later, we'll make contact, and this might be as good a reason as any." Then, turning to the messenger, "Tell me, what's the village like?"

"My Lord, the village is sizable, with at least a hundred families."

That's quite a big community, especially in Lowlandia...

His original plan was to catch South Hill unguarded, block it from requesting reinforcements, and then send an envoy to stall for time while his army made ladders from the nearby woodlands. The discussions, despite having a fair chance of succeeding given the size of his army, would likely fail. When that happened, Lansius planned a continuous day and night assault on the castle, as a form of exercise before Umberland.

Of course, this plan was merely an initial strategy until he could gather more information about his opponent, understand the situation, and study the topography to formulate a better approach. He had learned about Lord Gunther and his character but had yet to find anything concrete about his military style or capabilities.

However, Lansius now felt he might have stumbled upon an unexpected prize. While he was certain that South Hill wouldn't attack to save a large farming village, he believed he could potentially provoke them into doing so. He gazed squarely at the messenger. "Is it situated on a hill, or does it have any wide river or marshland nearby?"

"We didn't find any hill. There's a river, but it isn't wide, and there's no marshland. However, there is a forested area nearby."

Lansius thought of a plan. "Along your travel on the usual route, did you encounter any other villages as large as this one?"

"We seldom found anything larger than small communes; they hardly have a tavern, let alone an inn."

Lansius nodded and remained silent for a while before saying, "Sir Harold."

"Yes, My Lord."

"Interrogate the captured men for me. Ask them about the number of men-at-arms in their Lord's service, and who's in charge of the military. Are they bold or confident? Do they gamble or like to boast? Do they like hunting or riding? I want to know what they are like, their likes and dislikes. I want to know everything."

"With pleasure." The knight smirked, recognizing that the Lord was concocting a plan.

 

***

 

A Village north of South Hill

Two days after the messenger had brought the captured men to the Lord's encampment, things took an unexpected turn. Contrary to what Sigmund had predicted, the Lord didn't march his army to the village. Instead, he divided his forces unevenly into two groups, keeping them hidden away from any villages.

Before midday, the Lord, disguised as a wealthy merchant, entered the village in a carriage, accompanied by a group of muscular, dangerous-looking packhorse drivers, porters, and caravan guards. Their arrival was met with surprise and a mixture of suspicion and coldness.

Soon, Dietrich and Sigmund recognized who was inside the cart and rushed to greet them, albeit in panic.

"My—" they both started, then exchanged a glance, unsure how to address the couple since it was obvious that the Lord and Lady were in disguise.

Lansius waved them closer to the carriage window. "I'm Jans, and my wife is Jean. Easy to remember, right?"

"Yes, My—" Dietrich began but found himself unable to continue.

Quickly, Sigmund intervened, "We mean, yes, Maester Jans and Jean. So good to see you."

Audrey gave a small nudge of acknowledgment from inside the carriage.

Not to waste time, Lansius inquired, "Does this village have an inn?"

"Yes, it does. Please follow me," Dietrich quickly motioned to the coachman.

After the interaction, the villagers gazed at the convoy of carriages and carts, laden with goods, with newfound curiosity. The guards escorting them, common in protecting merchants, were notably well-armed, disciplined, and sophisticated in appearance.

"Carla," Lansius called to a woman riding a conspicuously fine horse.

She nodded slightly in her saddle. "Yes, Master."

"Split our group into three. Two should keep watch on the village's edge, particularly the road leading to the castle. Keep your group close to the inn."

"Understood," Carla responded.

Audrey leaned toward the window. "Inform the lieutenants to allow their men to buy drinks and food, but to avoid causing trouble."

"Anything else, Master?" Carla inquired.

After a brief exchange of glances with Lansius, Audrey replied, "No, that's all for now. Best to keep things simple."

Carla nodded, signaling to the lieutenants, also in disguise, to gather around her.

...

 

The inn in the village was so small that the merchant convoy in disguise ended up renting the entire place after negotiating a discount. Lansius himself haggled the price while listening to the innkeeper's stories about the village and the region, all over a large order of food and drinks.

After a modest but merry lunch, they convened in the upstairs hall for a private meeting.

"The innkeeper looks happy," Dietrich commented, sitting on the floor. There were no chairs, as the hall was intended for sleeping, with travelers typically bringing their own bedrolls or simply sleeping with their jackets over their heads.

Lansius and Audrey's entourage ensured that folding seats were available for the Lord and Lady, but they too chose to sit on the wooden floor, out of habit. "So, what's the latest situation?" Lansius asked.

"My Lord, have you questioned the men we've sent?" Sigmund inquired.

Audrey's small chuckle drew the attention of the others. Since it would be impolite to question the Lady directly, Dietrich and Sigmund turned to Carla, who sat near the window to observe their surroundings.

Carla glanced at Lansius, who sighed deeply but nodded. She then explained to the two, "After the captured men realized they were in front of the Lord of Korelia, they were so frightened that they groveled on the ground, pleading for their lives."

Sigmund and Dietrich grinned rather sheepishly.

"Are any of you responsible for this?" Lansius asked.

"How could it be possible for us to spread such fear? Methinks, O Lord, your reputation in battle hath spread far and wide. Thus, even at the utterance of thy name, their courage doth falter and their bravery loseth its spirit," Sigmund praised.

"Oh, shut it," Lansius said, dismissing the praise. He understood it was natural for people to fear him, especially after the Battle of Korelia, where he had executed ambushes, fire tactics, and utilized nomadic cavalry. Despite this, he couldn't shake the suspicion. "Someone is fabricating bad stories about me."

Audrey shifted in her seat, uncomfortable with her disguise, before leaning toward him, "It's probably people who survived the battle of Korelia. It's only common for people to embellish stories of their victory or defeat."

Lansius could only nod.

"Is it really that bad?" Dietrich asked Carla, who replied, "One was even sobbing hard and wet his pants."

Lansius sighed at his growing infamy, fully aware that as tales of his victory in Korimor and his handling of the three envoys spread, his name would be further tarnished in scandal. "By the Ageless, just what are they saying about me?" he lamented.

"The gossip is wild—" Dietrich started but stopped abruptly under the Baroness's stern gaze.

"Go on," Lansius urged, but Dietrich only shook his head and muttered, "It's not good. I'd rather not say."

Lansius exhaled deeply before deciding it was time to focus. "Sigmund," he called.

Sensing the change in tone, Sigmund straightened his back. "Yes, My Lord."

Lansius retrieved something from his inner pocket, placed it on the floor, and revealed a blank parchment. He then took a charcoal stick and began to draw on it. "Imagine this is the village. Now, where is the route to South Hill Castle? Are there other hamlets along the way? Any rivers, large farms, or orchards nearby?"

 

***

 

South Hill Castle

Undetected by Dietrich's men or the villagers, the South Hill senior guard and his men had successfully infiltrated the village outskirts and apprehended three men. From them, they learned about the suspicious traveling minstrels who had attacked the guardsmen. Sensing something was off, they decided to return to the castle with the three men in tow.

"Minstrels?" Lord Gunther shouted upon hearing the report during his court session. "Your men got captured by men with flutes and gitterns?" He burst out laughing.

The senior guard tried to explain, but an intoxicated Gunther chose to be merry, jesting, "Beware thee, for my zither is mightier than yer sword?!"

The Lord's uncharacteristic reaction provoked laughter from his entourage. The senior guardsman could only shake his head and decided to get a drink instead.

"Better to deal with minstrels than a peasant rebellion," the steward reassured him.

"They captured my men," the senior guard grumbled. "Their wives and uncles keep asking me about them."

The steward patted his colleague's shoulder and intervened. "My Lord," he began, "won't this incident become an embarrassment later on?"

"Yes, it will," the Lord unexpectedly revealed, capturing everyone's attention. "It could even encourage the peasants to consider rebelling against our rule," he added.

"Then what should we do?"

The Lord chuckled and, without missing a beat, said, "It's just a village and men with flutes. Just send thirty men, and it'll be over. No need to embarrass ourselves further by overreacting."

The staff and the senior guardsman nodded, satisfied with their Lord's decision.

 

***

 

Northern Village

With help from Dietrich and Sigmund, Lansius completed the crude map. There were two routes leading to South Hill City and Castle: one direct path through open plains and a longer one passing through several hamlets. Unfortunately, there were no forests, marshland, or a body of water until South Hill City itself.

"Hmm..." Lansius rubbed his chin, finding no convenient place to position his troops for an ambush.

"Finding no good place to hide the troops?" Audrey inquired.

Lansius was pleased that his wife was starting to share his penchant for tactics. "That, and more importantly, I can't find anything to use as bait."

Dietrich observed quietly. A bold and brave cavalryman, he was not as adept at planning.

Sigmund, more comfortable with speaking out, put down his prized small harp to his side and suggested, "Can't we use the harvest as bait, as we did with the Nicopolans?"

"I doubt that'll work. The Nicopolans were desperate to alleviate their hunger, but South Hill, from what we've gathered, is well-stocked," Lansius explained.

Audrey recalled a quote, "A good castle always aims to have enough to last through winter and spring."

Hearing that, Dietrich scratched his head while Sigmund pondered.

"Time to be bold? Maybe we should start making ladders now," Audrey suggested.

Lansius exhaled sharply. "That's a last resort. I still want to avoid unnecessary bloodshed. Attacking a well-stocked and fortified castle is a bad idea. Any other suggestions?"

"The situation seems tough," Dietrich admitted.

Lansius clasped his hands behind his neck and stretched his back to relieve the tension. "We're running out of time," he warned his staff. "Soon, South Hill will send another group to search for their lost men. If we don't act now..."

Audrey filled in, "They'll detect our presence and will begin to barricade their castle."

Silence fell over the room, with only the muffled noises from the kitchen downstairs audible.

What Lansius aimed for was to bait a large portion of the South Hill garrison or even capture some of their key staff. If successful, this strategy could likely force them to capitulate, or enable Lansius to storm the castle with minimal casualties.

"We can also rule out using a ruse," Sigmund commented. "Everyone says Lord Gunther is cunning, even crafty, and suspicious by nature."

"He also doesn't like gambling and isn't superstitious," Lansius added.

Their initial expectations, based on word of mouth from sources outside of South Hill, turned out to be mere hearsay. While they had heard that the Lord of South Hill was old and violent, it emerged that his subjects viewed Lord Gunther as devious yet respectful, cunning, and possessing a strong sense of justice.

Looking up at the ceiling, Lansius noticed cobwebs and dirty wood beams. He had come here hoping to find something that would bait Gunther into sending his troops, but seeing the village for himself, he realized it was large yet mostly poor, offering little of value aside from its crops.

"My Lord," Audrey called, and from her tone, Lansius knew she was about to say something serious.

"Yes?"

"Servius isn't here," she began calmly. "But even if he were, I doubt he would say no to your original plan to assault the castle."

Lansius gazed at his wife and felt her warm, almost reassuring gaze. "If I sacrifice the Nicopolans to gain a castle, then what's the difference between me and Sergio?"

Audrey's gaze intensified. "Sergio is dead. Daniella and Servius killed him. Meanwhile, the two only speak praises about you."

"It's not about that," Lansius muttered. What he meant was whether it was morally right to send people to their deaths if there were other means. However, for this era, such a concept was almost alien as sacrificing lives in battle was commonly accepted and part of their culture.

"My Lord, apologies for interrupting, but what My Lady said is true. Even in ballads, the hero doesn't always find a weakness. Sometimes, the strength of men is needed."

Lansius gave no answer.

"Should I summon Servius and end this speculation?" Audrey offered.

"No," Lansius rejected the idea firmly. "There will be days when all we can rely on is brute force, but today is not that day."

The room looked at him with anticipation, even Carla paying close attention.

"You have another plan in mind?" Audrey looked impressed.

"Two," Lansius revealed. "They're risky, but I have two other ways to win without attacking the castle."

"Tell us," Audrey urged.

"One option is straightforward. Appear at the castle and lay siege, but don't attack. Just wait for the harvest, take what is ours, and then leave South Hill."

"Ah," Audrey exclaimed. "Indeed, our goal is to acquire supplies, not necessarily to win the castle."

Meanwhile, Sigmund expressed skepticism. "My Lord, to march this far with such a large army and not capture the castle... My apologies if this sounds rude, but it seems like a failed campaign. It could affect My Lord's reputation."

"I know." Lansius drew a heavy breath. "It's also a wasted opportunity. Our pretext probably only allows us one chance to take South Hill, and personally, I don't want to squander it."

"Not wanting to squander this chance, but also not wanting to assault the castle," Audrey mused, feeling the contradiction. "Wait, you said there are two ways. What's the second one?"

"The second one..." Lansius hesitated. "Let me tell you this first. More than just provision or the castle, we need South Hill to protect The Grand Alliance from famine."

His words captured everyone's attention.

The Lord continued, "Korelia is strategic but doesn't produce enough food. Trade with Eastern Lowlandia is risky and unreliable. The surplus from Korimor will be used to support Umberland, which I foresee will consume a lot of resources for years to come."

Dietrich, finding this a bit odd, voiced his concern, "But South Hill is too far from Korelia."

"But not from Three Hills city, our biggest ally," Lansius reminded the cavalryman. "If we control South Hill, then Three Hills would be able to support us more, both in terms of the campaign for Umberland, or trade with Korelia."

Audrey leaned closer and asked, "If South Hill is this important, then why haven't you revealed this to anyone?"

"Because... I feared my own staff would push me to commit to an assault," Lansius revealed his concern.

Audrey was taken aback, realizing the words were also directed at her. She turned to Dietrich and Sigmund, who both shook their heads earnestly. Sigmund pleaded, "My Lord, My Lady, we would never do such a thing. I doubt even your knights would dare."

Turning back to Lansius, she said, "My Lord, your control over us and our trust in you is absolute. Please, have more faith in us."

Lansius hadn't expected such a strong response and couldn't help but break into a smile. "If everyone feels the same, then perhaps the second plan will work..." His words trailed off, but nobody dared to interrupt.

Then, with a decisive tone, he declared, "There's still enough time. Let's prepare the plan for tonight's battle."

"A battle?" Dietrich was the first to react.

"Yes," Lansius confirmed, a chuckle in his voice. "Tonight, we'll be battling hundreds of bandits in this village."

 

***

 

- New Landing Page for Horizon of War, updates, Map & Character List

 
Dedicated Character Image Channel in Discord: https://discord.gg/GTu6SBEwvA

Twitter: https://twitter.com/HanneAuthor

We have Glossary for early chapter:  Glossary.

If you enjoyed this story, please consider sharing it with others. As always big thank you for all your support, ratings, reviews, and comments.

10