Chapter 108 : Half Victory
372 6 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 108

Half Victory

 

Several weeks before Lord Lansius' battle in South Hill, Sir Michael and the White Lake cavalry had arrived safely in Korelia. The city celebrated their victorious return from the Korimor campaign. As Korelia's leading authority, Sir Justin promptly organized a celebration to honor their allies and commemorate House Lansius' latest victory in Korimor.

After resting for three nights, Sir Michael and his contingent resumed their march back to White Lake, eager to return home before the harvest season.

Their all-cavalry force swiftly covered the distance, arriving in White Lake just in time for the harvest. Sir Michael's triumphant return to the city, laden with spoils that sparked envy among many, quickly became the talk of the town.

The stories of their battles against the Nicopolans captured the admiration of the populace. Even the nobility, who had previously disgraced him, began reconsidering their stance, impressed by the spoils he secured and his exploits in battles. Moreover, the fact that he had fought alongside the Lord of Korelia, a rising power in Lowlandia, indicated that Sir Michael had made a significant name for himself and was likely in favor.

Subsequently, talks began about restoring his reputation or at least amending their relationship. The once-fallen Marshal was now viewed as a redeemed figure.

Watching this unfold, the most pleased was Lord Robert. He had gambled on sending Michael to Lansius, hoping for a positive outcome, but he never expected such a turn of fortune.

The Viscount's belief in Michael had been vindicated. He had always known that Michael possessed the necessary qualities. Maybe not as a general, but certainly as a competent knight and an able nobleman.

And now, fulfilling his daughter's wish, Lord Robert had allowed Sir Michael to meet her in the castle's garden for a quiet chat.

...

 

"Sir Michael," Lady Astrid called as she saw him at the garden's entrance.

The knight, who was the talk of the city, broke into a smile. "Lady Astrid," he greeted as they approached each other.

For a moment, they both smiled, unable to hide their feelings.

"I've returned," the knight reported warmly.

"Pray that you're not injured. How is your eye?" the lady asked with concern.

Michael adjusted his eye patch as he reassured her, "It's not painful, and it doesn't hinder me anymore."

"Michael," Lady Astrid began, her tone filled with excitement. "I've talked to Father."

"Yes?" the knight responded, full of anticipation.

Astrid blushed and, instead of giving a direct reply, asked carefully, "Do you still want my hand in marriage?"

"The sky is my witness. I didn't fight battles in faraway Korimor for myself. The glory and prestige are dedicated to you, My Lady."

"Michael..." Astrid gazed at him affectionately before revealing, "Father has agreed."

Michael's eyes widened. "The Lord agreed to our betrothal?"

Astrid nodded, her sweet smile gracing her lips.

Michael's reaction was one of unbridled joy, his wide grin accompanied by clenched fists as if he was ready to leap for joy. Discipline kicked in, and instead of jumping, he knelt and asked for her hand.

Astrid happily extended her hand, and Michael vowed, "I will be a good and loving husband. I shall be loyal, protect you, and bring honor to your House."

Astrid, blushing red, turned her face away. "You've already brought honor to my father's House. He's pleased with your triumphant return. Now, no one in the court can look down on you."

Standing up, he said, "The court may need more time to accept me back. Only after they're comfortable can we arrange our marriage. Perhaps a season or two will be necessary."

Astrid let out a small grin. "A wise approach. But unfortunately, the marriage needs to take place as soon as possible."

Michael blinked in surprise. "I have no complaints, but won't it cause issues for your father's standing?"

"There will be no issues. The letter you gave to Father has already solved that problem."

"The letter from the Lord of Korelia?" Michael was surprised and curious. "What did it say?"

"The Lord of Korelia expressed his desire to take you under his wing."

Michael was stunned by the answer.

Astrid continued, "It's prudent not to waste this opportunity. The Lord of Korelia is the biggest name in Lowlandia right now."

"The Lord of Korelia actually said that?" he muttered, still in disbelief.

"He wrote it in a letter with his seal on it. Sir Michael, it seems you truly did a commendable job," she said with pride in her eyes.

"But, My Lady." Michael was hesitant. "If I am to be under the Lord of Korelia's command, then you'll have to accompany me to Korelia or even to Korimor."

"Likely to Korelia," she answered lightly and without hesitation.

"You don’t mind leaving White Lake?"

Astrid gazed at the garden around them. "I love this place, but I am no longer a child. We are about to unite our Houses, and I will do my part. Whether it's Korelia, Korimor, or elsewhere, I'll go with you."

Michael was dazzled by his change of fortune and could ask for nothing more.

"Besides," she whispered, turning to him, "Father is also moving to Korelia."

Michael was surprised and lowered his voice, asking, "The Grand Alliance, has it been approved by everyone in the council?"

"Almost, but with the Lord of Korelia's victory over Korimor, those opposed are losing ground fast." Astrid then added, "Father will risk it and support the Grand Alliance wholeheartedly. Our House won’t let anyone steal our initiative."

...

 

Riding the wave of Sir Michael's popularity, the castle officially announced his marriage to Lady Astrid, to the delight of the people. The ceremony was scheduled to take place at White Lake Castle, just six days after the knight's triumphant return. Lord Robert had acted swiftly to solidify his standing by welcoming a victor into his House.

One day before the wedding, father and daughter chatted while walking through the castle, now adorned with decorations for the upcoming event.

"Astrid, remember that it won't be easy. After the marriage, you must accompany Michael wherever he's stationed."

"Yes, father. I understand. I'll dutifully follow my husband, riding beside him and donning armor if need be."

Robert sighed. "I've provided you with the best tutor and assigned the best lady-in-waiting, yet you seem to have grown into a shield maiden."

"But father, people everywhere admire Lady Audrey, who followed the Lord of Korelia into battle. Isn't that also a noble way to bring honor to our House?" Astrid teased.

"The Lady of Korimor is an exception. Please, don't emulate her path in life."

"Father, I have my own path," she reassured him. "I'm a proud Lowlandian, the daughter of the Lion. I will not tarnish my father's name."

Robert looked at her proudly. He knew that despite her ladylike demeanor, she could endure hours of riding without a hint of fatigue. Riding had been her favorite hobby before marriageable age leading her to a more cloistered life in the castle.

Upon arriving in the Lord's spacious study, Astrid took a seat as her father gazed out the small window, overlooking a golden expanse of land covered with ripened crops.

Their entourage closed the thick oaken door, leaving them in privacy. Lord Robert turned to his daughter, "Astrid, I still feel that you would be better suited to marry the Lord of Korelia."

"But father, you've said yourself that Lady Audrey is a unique individual. And now she holds a Barony. I surely can't compare to her."

Lord Robert found himself recalling memories of Lady Audrey, who was fierce beyond competition and exuded the aura of a powerful yet loyal companion. Yet, he couldn't resist teasing, "Well, a second wife isn't—"

"Dad!" Astrid rose from her seat.

The Viscount chuckled, turned to her, and opened his arms wide.

She recognized the gesture and wrapped her arms around her father. They embraced, their bond uniquely strong, as Robert had no other children.

"Promise me you'll stay safe in Korelia."

"Yes, father."

"And oversee the construction of our House's manor in Korelia. Ensure it's not lesser than the Lord of Three Hills' manor."

Astrid giggled at her father's competitive spirit.

...

 

The White Lake region soon found itself amid a series of jubilant celebrations. In sharp contrast to the previous year's somber mood, the grand wedding, coupled with the victory in Korimor, captured the people's hearts and imaginations. This joy was further amplified by a bountiful harvest that swept over the region, bringing more reasons to rejoice.

The people organized a large harvest festival, dedicating it to Lord Robert's House and the newly married couple. However, the couple themselves were unable to attend the harvest ceremony.

Heeding the Lord of Korelia's offer, the newlyweds, after their brief honeymoon and escorted by fresh cavalry, were already en route to Korelia. There, they were set to embrace their new roles and responsibilities.

 

***

 

Nicopolan Encampment, South Hill

After pacifying the Nicopolans with a great feast, Lansius ordered the castle to send him documents for study. Sir Harold quickly complied, sending the documents along with the record keeper and his aide, all under escort. Lansius wasted no time in perusing the documents.

While his troops enjoyed a relaxed day, going hunting for small game or fishing, Lansius was busy interviewing the record keeper, learning about the South Hill region. He had a plan in mind, but he wasn't sure if it would be applicable.

After all, a solution that was effective in his world might not necessarily be suitable for the problems of this one. Lansius understood that each world, place, and its people was unique.

Burning the midnight candle, Lansius read through the scrolls and noticed something peculiar. He compared the numbers between harvested yields and military campaigns involving South Hill. The correlation was more than just severe. Every time there was a campaign, the harvested yield dropped significantly.

While a decrease was natural due to lesser manpower, in South Hill's case, it was severe enough that some years saw the yield almost halved compared to the previous year.

"This doesn't make any sense," he muttered to himself.

"What...no... making se—" Audrey mumbled from the bed before dozing off again.

Lansius looked at her, asleep with a book in her hand. Audrey had tried hard to stay awake, reading just to keep him company as he studied. While she had fallen asleep, he felt blessed to have someone like her by his side.

Returning to his scrolls, Lansius pondered the erratic harvest of the South Hill region. With incomplete data, there were various possibilities for the loss of productivity. Then he recalled the South Hill column he had faced in the western plains of Korelia this summer.

He remembered a field of grass, the wind over the tiny vents on his helmet, the weight of a heavy lance in his arm, and charging through a wall of humans.

Suddenly, he had an epiphany.

They're relying too much on levies.

He sighed as he unraveled an unexpected puzzle. While using a large number of peasants as levied troops was common, South Hill was mustering an abnormally large number. So much so, that it disrupted their agriculture.

Lansius searched furiously through the scrolls for population numbers and found them beside the lantern on the table. He saw the figure and muttered, "Less than seven thousand in the city and all the villages combined."

The last survey was done a decade ago, but it was clear that the population was marginally small. Lansius became worried. South Hill's last campaign for Korelia had been a disaster. Out of the two thousand who had set out, only several hundred returned. The rest were either captured or died on the run.

If even a small campaign could damage their harvest to such a degree, then their recent loss in Korelia could cause a catastrophe.

The South Hill region was unknowingly heading toward an agricultural disaster.

Rising from his chair, Lansius quietly headed out of his field tent. He encountered Carla sitting with the guards. Lansius motioned for them to stay seated and said to Carla, "Get me Servius."

It was the middle of the night, but Carla didn't ask questions. She knew it must be urgent.

...

 

Lansius waited in the front section of the command tent where he usually held council. He didn’t have to wait long.

“You summoned me, My Lord?” Servius asked as he arrived, escorted by Carla.

“Please enter,” Lansius said. “I apologize for summoning you so late, but this matter is dire.”

“I’m here to serve,” Servius replied as he approached.

“We have a problem. The records indicate that South Hill didn’t have enough men.”

“Men, My Lord?” Servius inquired.

“They might have cultivated enough land in the spring, but they don't have enough men to harvest."

Servius gave Lansius a sharp look as he pondered. “How much manpower are we talking about?”

“This summer, the previous Lord levied two thousand for a campaign. Only four hundred returned.”

“By the Ageless.”

Lansius exhaled deeply. "You asked about the amount of manpower we need. I’d say at least a thousand farmers, ideally closer to three thousand."

Servius’ face turned grim. “My Lord, I have farmers in my ranks, but not three thousand.”

Lansius walked closer and whispered, “We need to solve this. Otherwise, we can only expect half of the region's annual harvest. I’ve checked the numbers, and they don’t bode well for us or the populace.”

"My Lord," Servius pleaded. "I’ve already followed your instructions. I’ve secured the men who uncovered Sergio’s ruse. The dirt and sand at the bottom of our supplies have remained untouched. So please, I beg you, don’t let another famine befall us."

Lansius could see the horrors of famine reflected on the former legion leader's face. Even veterans of countless conflicts bow down in the face of hunger threatening their men and families. "I haven’t abandoned you. We’ll overcome this."

The legion leader grasped Lansius’ hand and knelt. "Please give me instructions. Command me."

"Servius,” Lansius began, pulling him to his feet, “at first light, gather all Nicopolans who have experience in farming. Don't give up yet. We still have a chance."

...

 

Lansius watched Servius leave and was about to return to the rear section where he slept when he noticed a figure waiting for him, standing silently in the dim glow of a lantern. "Sorry to have kept you awake," he said apologetically.

"Do you need someone to talk to?" Audrey offered a waterskin. "I might not be able to help solve the issue, but I can keep a secret. Or I can pretend that I hear nothing."

Lansius took the waterskin and drank from it. Afterward, he revealed, "South Hill's harvest is in big trouble."

Audrey pondered for a bit before responding seriously. "It's related to those men you captured and kept in Korelia, isn't it?"

"Yes, almost all of the South Hill column are peasants," Lansius confirmed.

"Still," she hesitated for a bit. "I imagine there will be a lot of issues if we free them before they've finished their work. Besides, the harvest is not even a month away."

"Indeed, there's no time to transport them here."

Audrey sighed. "I feel like we're going from one famine to another."

Lansius could only nod. "This is what warfare does. In their quest for power, the nobles use peasants to fight, and thus the farms get neglected."

"Crippled men make poor farmers," she commented. "So, what is the Lord of Korelia planning?"

Lansius shook his head. "Some rough plans. But I'm not sure if it will work or if it will cause a riot. I guess I'll need to study the scrolls again."

Audrey closed the distance between them and hugged him tightly. "You know, I wish I could help more."

"You're already helping," he reassured her. "I bet if I married another Lady, she would pester me with castle decorations, winter furs, and perhaps even jewelry."

Audrey chuckled and teased, "Is it a bad time to ask for a decoration for my armor?"

Lansius chuckled and lifted her. All his armored exercise and riding had paid off, he could do it with ease. Carrying her in his arms, he went to the sleeping section and laid her on the bed, but refrained from joining her.

"You sure you don't want company?" she asked again.

"I'm perfectly happy seeing you asleep."

"Then, I'll be here when you need me. Just wake me up," Audrey said, closing her eyes.

She must be weary.

Despite her status, Audrey took charge of the cavalry, their training, equipment, and maintenance. With their numbers reaching four hundred, it was no small task.

Lansius returned to his seat and a small table.

Time passed, and despite his thorough study, only one solution continually came to mind. Initially, Lansius had favored a Roman model to aid the harvest, but now the situation called for something more drastic.

The problem was that fully implementing military-agricultural colonies would take years to develop. However, he could extract the essence for a more immediate, crash course solution.

Thus, he wrote in his native Earthen language: the Han Dynasty's Tuntian strategy?

While unsure, Lansius began to lay out a heavily modified yet simplified version because he didn't have multiple years to develop it.

The next morning, Lansius was awakened by an unforeseen development. Unexpected reinforcements had arrived.

 

***

 

 If you have time, please check Discord, we have a fun Horizon of War Poll (Questionnaire) in Discord, kindly give reactions - no need to type anything, I promise😆

  • New Landing Page for Horizon of War, updates, Map & Character List
 
Dedicated Character Image Channel in Discord: https://discord.gg/GTu6SBEwvA

Twitter: https://twitter.com/HanneAuthor

We have Glossary for early chapter:  Glossary.

If you enjoyed this story, please consider sharing it with others. As always big thank you for all your support, ratings, reviews, and comments.

10