Chapter 116 : Spymaster
313 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 116

Spymaster

 

South Hill City - Ten days before the harvest.

As soon as they rode out from the city, Audrey, dressed in dark hooded garb, asked with a blushing face, "What's with that last decree?"

Lansius, riding a common horse and dressed similarly, chuckled. "Why? Don't you like well wishes?"

"It's embarrassing," she protested as they trotted along a quiet road. Carla, Sterling, and the rest of the guards in disguise rode in front and at the rear.

She continued in a low voice, "Besides, what's with the ten gold coins for a knight? That's way too expensive. I know we had plenty in the baggage train, but this will put a hole in our coffer."

Lansius laughed. "You're forgetting a small but important detail."

Audrey guided her horse closer. "Ten gold coins for a knight... What did I miss?"

"Yes, we'll pay them ten gold coins for a knight. But guess who will take the captured knight's manor, land, warhorse, and armor?"

"Ah!" She exclaimed, her mouth agape.

"Also, don't be stingy with rewards, especially against a coup. I could offer more and it would still be profitable, but it might make the local knights nervous."

"I see..." Her voice trailed off as she got lost in thought.

Lansius smiled as a gust of wind blew around them bringing a certain scent of autumn.

Riding slowly, Audrey turned to Lansius again. "I think it's time for you to explain what this plan is all about. Yesterday, you talked about raising numerous armed men who are loyal, don't cost money, don't need feeding, or arming. But all I've seen are some basic rules and allowing people to have spears or crossbows."

Lansius chuckled, while Audrey added, "We've already given away a basket of coins, and a house with land. Now you're planning to give away barrels of ale and coins."

Lansius responded by asking, "Drey, do you know how to make an army follow commands?"

"Good payment, punishment, and the law stating they must obey," she answered.

Lansius nodded, sensing she grasped the idea. "That's how you make an army follow commands. But how do you make commoners follow commands?"

Audrey's gaze sharpened. "Using commoners as an army?"

"Yesterday, I mentioned armed men," he reminded her. "For peacekeeping, you don't have to rely on the military."

Audrey appeared doubtful.

Lansius smiled and pointed out, "We're drawing from the same pool for men: the populace. Rebel or us, the source is the same. Now, if we draw the populace to our side, promising great rewards for catching rebels, what do you think will happen?"

"But how will they dare to go up against rebel knights? Just having weapons isn't enough," she argued.

Lansius had anticipated that question. "That's why I'm offering absurd rewards for simple tasks."

Audrey recalled the events in the market, her eyes flickering with realization. "You're training them."

"Conditioning them," he corrected her with a smile. "The basket of coins, the house with the land, all are a demonstration of authority."

"Authority..." she mulled, as their horses trod upon the familiar route.

"Just like in the army, merely being a Lord isn't enough to control the men. One must be able to show that he is in control and has the power to reward, enforce rules, and give punishment. That is called: having authority."

She seemed to follow, so Lansius continued, "When we show that our words are true, people will listen. And there's no better way than giving them ridiculously simple tasks and giving big rewards. That is known as: demonstrating authority."

Like a good student, Audrey listened intently.

"When you show authority and demonstrate it effectively, titles become unnecessary. From mercenaries to bandit kings, their leaders operate without formal titles."

"That is true," Audrey remarked.

Lansius finished off by correcting the misconception, "Controlling the commoners is not only possible, but it's always been done. Nobles levy the commoners for wars. So, the notion that we can't rely on them in peacetime is rather absurd."

The horse neighed as another wind blew sending dry leaves around them.

Audrey removed the dry leaves from her hair and clothes and asked, "But I've never heard of anyone using commoners to fight coups."

"Because they're not comfortable sharing power with commoners," Lansius revealed without hesitation. "And do you know why most nobles aren't comfortable?"

Audrey pondered seriously and ventured, "Fear?"

"Not quite. The correct answer is morals."

She furrowed her brows. "Morals?"

"If a Lord is cruel and dishonest, the populace is likely to oppose him, not providing help. As for me, I hope I'm good enough."

Audrey reached for Lansius' hand. "You're a good Lord," she reassured him warmly.

Lansius smiled. "This is why to rule without making anyone miserable is a good cause."

The Lord and Lady, accompanied by their entourage, continued their way toward the villages. To their left and right, the ripened farmland welcomed them.

 

***

 

After midday, when the sun was more merciful, the Lord of Korelia returned to the castle, having completed his weekly inspection.

Waiting in the courtyard were Dietrich and the page boys. The Lord and Lady dismounted, and after completing the necessary formalities, they were escorted to the inner part of the castle.

"Any tidings, Dietrich?" Lansius asked.

"My Lord, the knights and squires will return to Korelia tomorrow morning."

"And Sir Gunther?"

"His House has confirmed they will join. Their carriages are being loaded as we speak."

Lansius nodded as they continued walking to the Grand Chamber where they could discuss more freely.

They reached the Grand Chamber and took their seats to wind down. The servants promptly brought drinks and refreshments. Yet, it was Carla and Sterling who poured drinks for the Lord and Lady.

"How's the local knights' reaction to this morning's Council announcement in the market?" Lansius asked.

"Still quiet, none reported movements."

He nodded and then leaned into his seat. "Unless the Lady wishes to ask anything, that would be all for me."

Audrey gazed at Dietrich. "Anything else you want to report?"

Dietrich knitted his brow. "None in particular, Cap—, I mean, My Lady."

"Don't sweat it," said Audrey. She then picked a fruit from the silver platter and offered it to Dietrich. "They tell me it's from the previous Lord's own orchard."

Dietrich politely accepted the aromatic fruit. "Gratitude."

"Something to keep yourself from boredom. Guard duty in the castle can be really dull."

Dietrich let out a grin before turning to Lansius, bowed his head a little, and took his leave.

Audrey sipped her cup of water, her gaze resting thoughtfully on Lansius, who seemed lost in contemplation. "What's on your mind?" she asked gently.

"Just a thing or two about South Hill," he said.

"You know, Lans, I'm still curious about giving no market tax or toll tax for next year. Won't it deplete South Hill's income next year?" Audrey asked.

"It was intentional. First of all, it would deter a coup as anyone who tries would face strong opposition from the commoners and esquires who benefited from the one year tax-free policy," Lansius explained.

Audrey found it interesting and listened with her back straight.

Lansius continued, "Secondly, it would take a chunk out of the region's income for a year. That'll reduce the region's ability to raise an army. Even if a coup is successful, they would only have a small army."

"That is a lot of use from just a single policy," Audrey mused.

"There's more. Offering less tax is also a good incentive to win the people's hearts without much effort. Furthermore, for a small city like South Hill, with limited scribes and clerks, suspending half the taxes for a year will allow them to focus on the big issue — ensuring that the region's bookkeeping is accurate. Mind you, the previous Lord left messy records."

"A plan within a plan," Audrey commented in astonishment.

Lansius smiled and drank from his goblet.

"Have you decided who'll govern the City after we leave?" She asked.

Lansius glanced at her before answering, "Ideally, Lady Daniella, but she's technically your knight and also she's in Three Hills."

"Three Hills as an ally is doing us disfavor," Audrey voiced her disappointment.

Lansius leaned to one side, resting his elbow on the armchair. "Three Hills is a big city with big politics. Perhaps, this is the best Lord Jorge could do."

"Well, whoever you pick, make sure it's not Sir Harold."

Her request piqued Lansius. "Any reason why?"

"We're going on a campaign and we need his expertise," she explained.

"Ah," Lansius mumbled. Then added, "You don't need to worry, Sir Harold has made his stance clear. He wants no part in governing a city."

Audrey breathed a sigh of relief. "So, there's only one name left," she ventured.

Lansius took his goblet again. "I guess, it's time to summon."

...

 

Grand Chamber

"My Lord," Sigmund greeted Lansius as he entered the Grand Chamber. They were alone; Audrey had retired to her room with Carla. Only Sterling remained, sitting in the far corner.

"Please take a seat. I have news for you," replied Lansius.

The skald took a seat and prepared to listen.

Lansius remained standing and spoke, "As you know, I'm going on a campaign to Umberland. However, I need someone to lead the garrison in South Hill."

Sigmund seemed prepared and replied, "I believe Sir Harold would be the best candidate."

"I agree with you, but the knight already made his stance clear. That's why I'm thinking to let you to govern the city."

Sigmund blinked and shifted in his seat uncomfortably.

Lansius didn't say a word, observing the captain's reaction.

"Is this why you sent me to the market as a herald?" Sigmund finally reacted.

"One of many reasons," Lansius explained casually. He forwent mentioning that from the start, he had refrained from addressing the people directly because he wanted Sigmund to be the face of the authority he had planned.

Sigmund looked uncertain, pondering. "But what about the orange skalds and the skirmishers?"

"Farkas will be the new leader."

"I see... So, my Lord, has confidence in him."

"Not as much as I trust you or Dietrich. And his gittern play is still lacking."

Lansius' words drew chuckles from Sigmund.

"But, at least, the men respect him and he's morally acceptable," Lansius continued.

Sigmund raised an eyebrow. "Morally? How can you tell, My Lord?"

"I already know how he behaves with the prey he hunts. So, I asked the hunters how Farkas behaved with other hunter's slain prey. They told me Farkas only takes a small cut if he didn't contribute to the kill, even when he's technically their lieutenant."

Sigmund nodded thoughtfully.

"Showing restraint and respecting others despite your status is a good trait for command. However, I'm not sure about his tactical ability, but you have twenty days to prepare him."

"My Lord, I can vouch for that. In twenty days, I shall drill Farkas in what I know, including the gittern play."

Lansius was pleased with the declaration. "One more thing," he said. "Even if you're in South Hill, the Orange Skalds should continue."

"But they'll be under Farkas."

"Farkas will lead but one group. I wish to have more, ideally one in each city in Lowlandia," Lansius revealed.

Sigmund nodded in understanding. "To serve as your eyes and ears."

Lansius approached Sigmund and placed a leather pouch on the table, revealing it to be filled with gold and silver coins. "The funds for the skalds. Try to make it work."

"My Lord, with this much, even if it fails, we'll have enough musicians to entertain several cities."

Lansius chuckled and tapped on the skald's shoulder. "Lowlandia and the Grand Alliance will face many enemies. I need someone who can walk in bright disguise and in the shadows."

"Then, I'll strive to be the perfect candidate," Sigmund replied with a determined nod.

 

***

 

As part of the capitulation, Sir Gunther, the previous Lord of this region, had forfeited his family manor for a price and followed the group of returning knights to Korelia. Sir Gunther and his House were to be accepted as a minor member of the Grand Alliance. Lord Lansius promised to provide them with a pension in exchange for their loyalty and support.

To guard the manor, the Lord had sent skirmishers to the area, which also served as a reward, given the surrounding ripened orchards and abundance of food.

For the skirmishers, life was good. Their injured could recuperate in peace while the healthy could rest their weary bodies. Emboldened by the situation, they even dared to anticipate great things in the coming harvest. Unfortunately, fate could be a cruel mistress.

In the second month of Autumn 4425, South Hill finally welcomed its late harvest. Despite considerable effort and rising anticipation, the harvest results had proved to be marginal, if not slightly better than modest. Each grain had yielded just over half its potential.

The mediocre harvest dampened the mood in South Hill City and Castle. Knowing the effort the Lord and the Nicopolans had made, they had expected good results, yet it turned out lacking.

Everyone was affected by the mood and even the upcoming celebration couldn't lift their spirits. The only one who was unfazed was the Lord and his closest retinue.

The castle staff whispered about the Lord's response. Some argued that the Lord had done what he could and chose not to be affected by the bad news. While most agreed, a few even dared to suspect that the Lord simply didn't care.

"In two weeks, the Lord will depart with his big army," one whispered, triggering nods from the other servants.

"They'll need a lot of grain," another replied, followed by, "Probably will leave us with barely enough to pass the winter."

A few sighs were heard. They had big expectations for Lord Lansius, but now all of it seemed to be undone. Nobody in South Hill had the illusion that the Lord would cater to their needs more than his own army. Thus, morale began to drop.

...

 

Lansius, Council Chamber

"My Lord, the people are getting restless. The price of grain has steadily increased despite the harvest," Dietrich reported.

Lansius remained quiet and motioned Dietrich to give another report, as if unbothered by the grain price. Audrey, seated next to him, betrayed slight concern.

Sir Harold, placing his arms on the table, added, "My Lord, this harvest result may jeopardize our campaign to Umberland."

"I doubt it's that bad," Lansius responded lightly. Then he glanced at Sterling, asking, "What's the story on the street?"

"There are all kinds of baseless rumors flying around the city," Sterling reported. "Things aren't looking good, My Lord. If we depart next week, Sigmund will probably face trouble. Should I summon him for you?"

"No," Lansius disagreed. "I want him to train Farkas, let's not bother him with this market panic. The people's expectations are simply unjustified. Harvest results are almost a gamble, so there's no need for excessive worry."

"As long as farmers and the people do their best, then any result that isn't famine is acceptable," Audrey commented.

"Wise words," Lansius praised and poured some light mead into her silver goblet.

She accepted the goblet but, despite the rich honey aroma, refrained from taking a sip. "Three days have passed since the harvest ended. People, even the castle servants, looked concerned with the result. Perhaps something needs to be done."

Lansius gazed warmly at her. "I know."

"A false rumor might ruin a Barony. Perhaps a statement to calm the people would be prudent?" Sir Harold suggested.

Lansius nodded at the wise counsel and said, "It's a correct response, but in our case, let's just wait."

"But the price is rising, My Lord," Dietrich voiced his concern.

Lansius let out a chuckle that drew everyone's attention. "I'm actually waiting for that."

Everyone in the chamber looked at him, puzzled.

Then, with a sly smile, Lansius quipped, "Want to see my magic trick?"

 

***

 

 If you have time, please check Discord, we have a fun Horizon of War Poll (Questionnaire) in Discord, kindly give reactions - no need to type anything, I promise😆

  • New Landing Page for Horizon of War, updates, Map & Character List

Twitter: https://twitter.com/HanneAuthor

We have Glossary for early chapter:  Glossary.

If you enjoyed this story, please consider sharing it with others. As always big thank you for all your support, ratings, reviews, and comments.

10