Chapter 121 : Nightfall’s Guest
350 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 121

Nightfall's Guest

 

For tyrants, no sensation surpassed the thrill of wielding power over others and seeing their commands carried out. Yet, this intoxicating sense of control was exclusive to the tyrant. For everyone else, this concentration of power and its rampant abuse proved to be detrimental, even to those closest to the despot. This dynamic made the situation perilous for all involved.

The inherent human desire for freedom meant that inevitably, all those under the tyrant's rule sought to break free, striving to overthrow the despot. Ironically, this often led to them becoming the new tyrants, perpetuating a never-ending cycle of power and resistance.

Despite a similar concentration of power, the situation in House Lansius was strikingly different.

After a grueling two-day march, burdened with heavy bags, the troops caught sight of the outer walls of Three Hills City, arriving almost three days ahead of schedule. Despite their exhaustion and discomfort, the group was buoyed by smiles and laughter, astonished at their own marching speed.

For them, there was no greater validation for the Lord's plan than the outcome itself. Moreover, there was no greater feeling for the troops than knowing the ones in power were thoroughly competent in their planning and decision-making.

While power was concentrated in one individual in both scenarios, the situation in House Lansius' volunteer-based army presented a stark contrast to that of a tyrant's household.

The men were not fearful but were instead grateful and appreciative of the opportunity to serve under such a competent commander. Furthermore, Lansius' approach to leadership was distinct from that of a tyrant. Before implementing any major changes, he spent time explaining his plans to his men, convincing them with sound reasoning and arguments, and even leading by example.

The troops felt they were in good hands, governed not with a leash and whip but by a wise counsel and guiding hand.

Now, with the sun low on the horizon, the vanguard had reached the city, where formalities ensued between the officers. More surprisingly, when the main army arrived, they were greeted by a sea of tents just outside the city wall.

"No need to pitch tents today," many exclaimed excitedly, pleased with the arrangement.

Soon, there were arrangements for a feast from the Lord of Three Hills, welcoming the victorious army from their conquest of South Hill.

Externally, everything seemed to progress flawlessly. However, the machinations behind the scenes were more complicated.

While Lansius had allowed the Nicopolans to sleep in tents outside the city wall, he instructed his dragoons to camp further away in a much safer location. Even in the failing light, Servius and Farkas were building a security network of scouts as their eyes and ears.

The Lord had commanded that he wanted no surprises, and while Lord Jorge was friendly, there was no guarantee that the rest of the Three Hills nobility was in line with their Lord.

...

 

A woman in traveling attire entered the command tent. "My Lord, My Lady," she greeted quickly.

"Lady Daniella, it's good to see you again," Audrey replied, seated beside Lansius, who slouched, looking too weary to engage.

"My apologies, the preparations I made were not adequate. I had anticipated two more days before the army's arrival."

"No, that's not on you," the Lord muttered. "You could even claim that it's because of your efforts that we arrived early."

"I never expected that equipping an army with bags would yield such results," Daniella mused.

Lansius looked as though he was about to explain something but changed his mind at the last moment. Instead, he drew a deep breath and rested his head on a folded chair with supple, cushioned head support—one of the luxuries he had acquired from the last war.

Seeing Lansius so fatigued, Audrey decided to play his part, "Dame, you mentioned the preparations were inadequate. Yet, we've seen tents erected for the army, a feat I believe was orchestrated by you?"

"Indeed, My Lady, but the accommodation must be insufficient. Isn't that why, My Lord and Lady, didn't sleep in the provided tents?"

Lansius mumbled something, and Audrey smiled understandingly. "Yes, I'm aware. Let me handle this."

Turning to Daniella, Audrey explained, "We decided to camp here for security reasons. Lord Jorge's failure to provide aid or support for our campaign to South Hill has led us to question his motives."

"But My Lady, the Lord of Three Hills sent words of congratulations, which I believe I forwarded to you through Sterling."

"Indeed, we received such a message from Sterling, but it arrived only after our victory, not before."

Daniella nodded, understanding the situation. "I regret my inability to fulfill my role. I couldn't rally the council of Three Hills to our cause."

Audrey offered a stiff smile. "Don't blame yourself. Even the Lord believes Three Hills' politics might be too intricate for anyone, even for Lord Jorge. This is why we let the main army camp closer to town while the cavalry and command structure stayed further away."

Daniella nodded deeply. In contrast to Lansius' previous approach, which kept his troops away from Three Hills to avoid disrupting the city, he now camped his main army directly outside the city gates, a visible show of force likely aimed at the nobles who might be deluded into thinking they could still do as they pleased.

"It's a wise move," Daniella said, then added, "I apologize for not thinking that far ahead and being cautious enough."

"Don't be. Perhaps we're simply overreacting, but the Lord felt it was better to be prepared. Even with a large army, we shouldn't become overconfident."

Daniella could only nod her head again.

"Well, how about your other reports?" Audrey inquired.

"Yes, My Lady, the dealings for grain are—"

Lansius' snore suddenly caught everyone's attention. With smiles and grins, they motioned to end the meeting, allowing their Lord to rest without interruption. For his retinue, the politics in Three Hills held little significance, as their loyalty was squarely with Lansius himself.

Outside the command tent, Audrey gestured for Daniella to walk with her.

"Please excuse the Lord. The march has left him utterly exhausted."

"Understandably, fast riding indeed wears on the body."

"The Lord wasn't riding," Audrey corrected gently.

Daniella furrowed her brows for a moment before her expression turned to one of surprise. She had connected the dots on how the Lord could convince the troops to march faster while carrying heavy bags. "My Lady, it's unthinkable that the Lord would march on foot."

Audrey chuckled. "He insisted on inspiring his men. And he didn't just march. Like everyone else, he also carried one of the bags you procured."

Daniella shook her head in disbelief, yet her grin was undeniable. "It seems the Lord continues to do the unexpected."

"For a good reason. After today, no one can deny the results."

"Indeed." The Dame then shared what was on her mind, "Perhaps this is what the wise mean when they talk about the mark of a good leader."

"Undoubtedly," Audrey affirmed. "The Lord confided in me that it's ideal to lead by example. He always advised never to demand of your men what you wouldn't do yourself."

"One should never ask another to bear a weight one is not prepared to lift oneself," Daniella echoed, citing her mentor's words.

Audrey nodded, then stopped to face Daniella directly. "One question."

It was a brief statement, but Daniella understood from Audrey's gaze that it carried significant weight. "Please, My Lady. As a knight of Korimor, command me," Daniella said, kneeling before her in the middle of the camp, conscious of the onlookers.

Audrey grabbed her arm and helped her to her feet. Unlike Lansius, who was unaccustomed to such formalities, Audrey was more prepared for her role. Without missing a beat, she asked, "Do you trust Lord Jorge?"

Daniella answered without hesitation, "I trust the person, but not his judgment or his cohorts. However, I might be biased, having worked with him before serving Lord Lansius."

Audrey valued her candor. Then acting on her own judgement, she suggested, "Perhaps, it might be wise for Lord Jorge to act to regain Lord Lansius' favor."

"Leave it to me, My Lady. I'll do my utmost," Daniella pledged, inspired by the Lord's willingness to march with the men.

 

***

 

Dragoon's Camp

After ensuring that everything was in order and Sir Harold along with the last of the supply train had joined the camp, Audrey returned to the main tent. Her hair basked in the golden sunset, momentarily casting her in the visage of a noble northern queen. The look was so captivating that Carla paused her chores just to stare at her master.

Audrey quickly noticed and returned her gaze.

"My Lady," Carla greeted her hurriedly, realizing her lapse.

"Has the Lord awoken?" Audrey inquired, walking towards the inner part of the large command tent.

"Yes, My Lady. I have also brought the meals for you both," replied Carla, following behind her.

"Gratitude. You should take a break and go eat," Audrey suggested.

Carla silently bowed her head and retreated to a corner near the entrance, where she could dine in peace while still keeping watch over the tent.

Meanwhile, Audrey entered the inner section and was greeted by Lansius with a casual "Yo."

His carefree attitude brought a smile to her face. "Feeling better?" Audrey asked, hanging up her traveling cloak.

"Yeah, a bit. Oh, sorry for falling asleep earlier. I hope Dame Daniella wasn't mad or anything."

"There's no need to worry. Everyone is grateful. Because of you, we arrived in Three Hills faster than expected. The men are highly motivated and proud of this achievement," Audrey said, changing into fresh attire.

Feeling his gaze on her, she looked back at him, catching his look of admiration. "But you're exhausted," she reminded him.

"Duty never ends," Lansius quipped, sending Audrey into giggles.

"You should carry fewer goods in the bags. You're not a mule."

"Well, Sterling also carried a lot, and he just had his leg fixed. I can't do less than him."

"And you claimed I'm the stubborn one," she remarked with a grin.

Lansius smiled and gestured for her to sit. "Come, let's eat before the stew gets cold."

Audrey quickly finished changing into a loose black tunic and took a seat on a small folded chair. She broke her bread and dipped it into the stew.

The aroma of the stew and bread mixed with the sweet scent of honey wax—a distinction of the noble's quarters from lesser establishments that used tallow-based candles.

They ate in peace. The rigors of marching and leading had been so taxing that the quietness became something to cherish. Without needing to say anything, he offered her a forkful of tenderly boiled vegetables, glistening with a hint of butter. She, in turn, passed him a slice of crusty bread, richly slathered with young cheese.

Only after they were half-full did Audrey speak up, "You seem to enjoy marching. But I hope you'll reconsider. Umberland is still another eight to nine days away."

"It shouldn't be that far," Lansius replied thoughtfully. "Servius mentioned it's closer than what the map conveyed, though the roads are poor and the terrain steep."

Audrey gave no response, choosing instead to continue with her meal.

Lansius drank from his goblet of water and suddenly admitted, "Don't tell anyone, but I regret my decision to walk."

The admission and shift in tone made Audrey giggle, and Lansius couldn't resist joining her.

"Oh, Lans, I told you—"

"You know me; I'm used to walking everywhere, but damn, those bags can carry a lot."

Audrey put her plate on the table, unable to resist laughing. Lansius, too, laughed at himself.

Afterward, she rose and proceeded to hug him. "My dear poor husband. Next time, you should be riding next to me. I'll figure out some excuse."

Lansius chuckled. "No need for an excuse. It was a demonstration, not a new routine, at least not for the command staff."

She returned to her spot and said, "You should get more rest. I'll take care of the camp."

"Has Sir Harold—"

"Done. We have all the supply train accounted for."

"Excellent. And the night watch?"

"No need to worry. Since we camped with the Dragoons, everyone is relatively fresh."

Lansius nodded, pleased. "That's great to hear. I don't feel like doing anything but sleep."

"I bet. You must be aching all over," Audrey ventured.

Lansius squinted his eyes and asked, "You don't look surprised?"

Audrey smiled. "You reminded me of my first hunting expedition. Wearing ringmail everywhere inside a forest, trying to keep up with Isolte. I still remember vomiting my breakfast and lunch."

Lansius chuckled at hearing that.

"It's good that you didn't vomit."

"I'm not that weak anymore. Just a bit surprised by the weight."

Audrey finished her meal and said, "Anyway, you should be proud. The troops were celebrating this fast march. They liked it and came to understand their newfound ability."

Lansius chuckled. "Well, we cheated somewhat. I told Sir Harold to guard the slower supply carts so we could advance faster."

"Yet, you have proven that rapid march is achievable."

Lansius nodded while slurping more of his vegetable stew.

"I think you'd do better with duck egg broth," she suggested.

Lansius swallowed and looked her dead in the eyes. "No duck egg," he stated briefly but firmly.

Audrey grinned at his reaction. "How about if I spoon-feed you?"

"Interesting idea, but no." He shook his head.

They finished their meal and kept the leftover bread for next day, in case they encountered a late breakfast or someone got hungry at night.

...

 

As they prepared to rest, the conversation turned to their situation with their ally.

"The problem is Three Hills," Lansius stated. "I want to know where they stand... I wish I had someone as capable as the late Sir Callahan."

Audrey poured him some watered-down spice wine to dull the aching. "The Dame is trying hard. I'm sure she'll improve with experience."

Lansius mulled. "Maybe it's my fault. She's adept with army management, but diplomacy might not be her forte."

"I'm afraid we have no one else, especially not one with experience. Unless you're considering recruiting Lord Robert."

"Ah, the Lion of Lowlandia," Lansius said with respect.

Noticing his tone, Audrey suggested, "Perhaps it's time to summon Sir Michael."

"Oh, I've heard he's newlywed. I wouldn't want to bother him."

Audrey sighed deeply and quipped, "Yet our honeymoon has been ruined. You owe me another."

"Tonight is as good a day as any to start. Let's call Carla for some mead," Lansius quipped back.

Audrey chuckled at his audacity and retorted, "I doubt you're up for much with those sore legs."

Before they could continue, a voice announced, "My Lord, My Lady, an important guest has arrived."

Audrey cleared her throat, while Lansius rose and stepped outside to greet Carla, asking, "Who is the guest?"

"It's Lady Daniella, My Lord."

Lansius furrowed his brow. "Why is she here again? Did something happen?"

"Ah, she has returned," Audrey commented.

"My Lord, she's brought someone else with her."

From Carla's tone, Lansius sensed the importance, quickly donned his doublet, and headed to the entrance. Audrey followed.

"Is our staff with them?" Audrey asked as they walked.

"Sterling and Sir Harold are with them," the squire informed.

At the entrance, they saw Lady Daniella, Sir Harold, Sterling, and a figure in a brown hooded robe.

"My Lord, My Lady," Lansius' retinue greeted, while the robed figure revealed a handsome face with lighter brown hair.

Lansius gasped, "Lord Jorge."

The Lord of Three Hills offered a stiff smile and greeted, "Lord Lansius, it's good to see you in person again." The air crackled with anticipation. His unexpected presence undoubtedly heralded a shift in the status quo. Lowlandia was on the brink of change, and nothing would be the same anymore.

 

***

 

 If you have time, please check Discord, we have a fun Horizon of War Poll (Questionnaire) in Discord, kindly give reactions - no need to type anything, I promise😆

  • New Landing Page for Horizon of War, updates, Map & Character List

Twitter: https://twitter.com/HanneAuthor

We have Glossary for early chapter:  Glossary.

If you enjoyed this story, please consider sharing it with others. As always big thank you for all your support, ratings, reviews, and comments.

6