Chapter 41 : Imperfectum
845 4 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 41

Imperfectum

 

Calub’s House

“Master, you really should take a break and a bath,” the page boy suggested.

Chuckling the alchemist responded, “Do I truly smell that bad, Margo?”

“No, master, but the workshop does carry a strong odor.”

“In that case, would you kindly prepare a bath for me?”

With this decided, Margo retreated upstairs to arrange the bath.

Calub had resided next-door to the workshop throughout the winter and continued to do so. Lord Lansius didn’t mind him staying out of the castle as it was relatively near and there were guards present day and night at the workshop.

Originally, it was the workshop’s occupants who suggested the place to him. The vacant house was owned by a shepherd who had turned to trade. The man was more than willing to part with his old home in exchange for some additional capital.

While the house was not vast, it featured two stories, an attic, and a cellar. Calub paid a substantial sum for the property, but he considered it money well-spent. As was his habit, he established his alchemy lab in the basement.

Initially, he lived there with only his assistant, Margo. However, as time passed, he became attached to a few of the orphaned youngsters from the workshop.

Calub welcomed the kids into his home, giving them the entire second floor and the attic. Among them was a bright lad named Timmy, who showed an uncanny knack for maintaining the house and had a meticulous way with tools.

Another who caught his eye was Tia. Despite her limp, she was adept at various chores and proved to be an exceptional cook. The two children, along with Margo, managed the household chores, and while there were occasional mishaps, they generally did well.

This arrangement allowed Calub the freedom to conduct his experiments to his heart’s content.

A knock sounded at the door.

“Just a moment, Margo. I’ll be right up,” Calub called out.

As the door creaked open, a familiar female voice echoed, “Really, in a basement again?”

Calub turned in surprise to see the speaker, exclaiming joyfully, “Hannei!”

“How are you, old buddy?” asked the blonde woman in a blue tunic and a plain off-white surcoat as she made her way down the stairs.

“Why are you here? I’m doing quite well. I believe I’ve even put on a bit of weight,” he replied, patting his stomach.

The girl giggled. “I’m here to visit, but honestly, I heard you’re now a high-ranking official. Yet here you are...” She glanced around the basement with a smirk.

Laughing, Calub countered, “Then let me show you my office in the castle.”

Hannei laughed heartily. “I’m just joking. You seem busy, Calub. I could always come back later.”

“Nonsense. I’m merely tinkering with some small stuff. Just let me take a quick bath, and then I’ll take you to the castle. I imagine you’re eager to meet Lansius as well.”

“Not particularly. Actually, forget the castle. Let’s just enjoy some good food in town.”

“That sounds delightful,” Calub agreed.

As Calub went for his bath, Hannei made herself comfortable upstairs.

“So, you’re Margo?”

“Yes, My Lady.”

“No need for formalities, dear. I’m not of noble birth,” Hannei replied with a warm smile that accentuated her brown eyes which looked golden from an angle. It complimented her long dull blonde hair.

Margo blushed. From the moment he had opened the door and caught sight of the woman beneath the hood, he had been utterly smitten. “Yes, master. Might you like a drink while you wait?”

“Only if that doesn’t bother you too much,” Hannei replied.

Before Margo could respond, a young girl emerged from the kitchen area, carrying an earthen jug.

“I apologize for my limp, master,” little Tia said, understanding that her walk was not pleasant to look at.

“What happened to your leg? Please, sit,” Hannei invited.

“It’s not needed, I-“

“I insist.”

Tia reluctantly sat next to Hannei who proceeded to examine the girl’s leg.“

"You weren’t born with this, were you?”

“No, master. I was bitten by a wolf last year.”

“I’m so sorry to hear that,” Hannei said, her brows furrowing in concern.

At that moment, Calub emerged from his room, donning his characteristic broken-white leather coat adorned with numerous pockets. His hair was neatly combed, and he radiated a fresh aura.

Calub noticed the pair and asked, “Ah, Hannei, could you possibly help Tia?”

She looked at Calub and shook her head. “It’s going to be very painful.”

Calub started to ponder for options.

“Master, could you really cure my limp?” Tia asked, her eyes filled with hope.

“But it’s very painful, my dear. And it may still fail,” Hannei explained gently.

“We could manage the pain with poppy milk, and I have some painkillers,” Calub chimed in.

“Calub, those are expensive! Are you serious?”

“I am. Old medicine loses its potency over time, and I was planning to make some new batches, anyway.”

Hannei was skeptical but decided not to push further.

“If you’re serious, then seek help from a physician. Depending on their assessment, I can decide whether to proceed or not. You’ll also need to stock some supplies for at least two nights,” she said, after mentally running through what would be required.

The news brought a wave of happiness to the household. Little Tia was loved by all. She cooked, knitted, and repaired items, making them look as good as new.

After some discussion, they decided to attempt the procedure the following day. Today, the two old friends had plans to enjoy a meal in town. They wanted to share stories and tidings, as well as gather necessary supplies.

During one of their chats, Calub remembered an important detail. “Hannei, I forgot to ask. Who did you travel with?”

“Oh, right,” Hannei frowned. “Remember what happened in Perugia and last time in Lutesia?”

“You’re not saying... here in Korelia?” Calub asked in disbelief.

“Yes, despite precautions, it happened again,” Hannei’s face looked angry at her incompetence.

“Don’t blame yourself,” Calub advised. “The way things work, it’s often beyond our control. Let’s just hope that nothing bad happens this time.”

They both exhaled simultaneously.

 

***

 

Lansius, Council Chamber

Sir Justin’s relocation to the Eastern Mansion had stirred up an issue that needed attention. Though he initially shelved it due to pressing matters with the nomads and spring training, he had now submitted a report detailing the scandalous activities that had occurred upon his arrival.

His report, brimming with confessions from the women and girls caught at the mansion’s gate, promised to be a delicious read. Sir Justin had sent it with the sole intention of teasing Hugo, confident that Lansius would revel in the juicy details.

“My Lord, please. It’s a misunderstanding. I didn’t organize such a party.”

“I already told you I believed you, Hugo,” Lansius chuckled. Despite this assurance, Hugo felt as though judgment had already been passed.

“Mercy, My Lord!” Hugo implored, his hands covering his face in a gesture of regret while slumping in his seat. “I only meant to cater to the men’s ‘needs’. Last winter, they pined so for their families, it was becoming utterly unbearable to witness.”

“You should have arranged for them to be sent home,” Lansius suggested nonchalantly from his seat.

“B-but, My Lord, please forgive us,” Hugo pleaded a note of desperation in his voice.

Lansius realized his mistake after watching Hugo’s reaction. “No, no, you misunderstood me. I meant that you should adjust their rotation schedule, so more of them can return home.”

“My Lord, that’s… an exceptionally generous and brilliant idea,” Hugo responded, taken aback.

“Then do it,” Lansius said, leaning back in his chair. “While I found nothing condemnable in your actions, try to prevent a potential spread of sexual diseases in the future.”

“My Lord, I assure you, they were all clean.”

A chuckle echoed in the room as Audrey interjected, her tone laced with mischief. “I’m sure the deputy personally inspected each one of them.”

“No, I didn’t. Never,” Hugo responded emotionally. His greatest fear was likely that this incident would reach his squire brother, Anci, who would relentlessly bully him for such a blunder.

“Anyway, I heard you’re engaged,” Audrey changed her angle of attack.

“A would-be fiancée,” Hugo corrected her.

“So, when can I meet her?” Audrey seemed overly excited at the prospect.

“Soon…”

“So, who’s her father? I’m sure Lans-, I mean, My Lord would like to know?”

“Of course, I meant to ask for My Lord’s permission,” Hugo remarked and then faced Lansius, said, “Dame Lucielle is from a baronet family. She lost her father last year due to old age. Sir Callahan sent me a letter, suggesting I meet her as he’s the girl’s uncle, albeit a few times removed.”

A baronet family, huh? That’s quite a catch. I must remember to thank Sir Callahan for his help.

“Is she attractive and well-formed?” Audrey probed before Lansius had a chance to respond.

This is rare, seeing her asking for other women this way.

Hugo glanced at Lansius, who simply shrugged in response.

“Well… she’s appealing enough. Her family estate is quite substantial and it would fall into ruin under inadequate management,” Hugo explained.

“Don’t marry out of financial necessity or pity,” Lansius advised. He knew that many lower nobility estates in the area boasted expansive manor lands but lacked the essential capital for their development. Many noble families had fallen into hardship after depleting their savings.

“I will take your words to heart, My Lord,” said the younger but more mature-looking squire.

“Good, then invite her here when you see fit. But keep in mind we’re on the brink of war. Are you certain you wish to marry now?”

“I appreciate your insight, My Lord. I’ll ponder this further,” answered Hugo readily.

“Best to discuss it with her. Adjust the rotation schedule for the billet, and then you can invite her here,” Lansius concluded the discussion.

“My deepest gratitude, My Lord,” Hugo responded before exiting the room, head held high.

The door closed gently behind him.

“I didn’t realize you were so considerate,” Audrey remarked, standing behind her chair and leaning into it.

Now they were alone in the council chamber. “Oh really? And what exactly do you mean by that?”

“Nothing. Not much at all,” Audrey replied with a playful smile. The chair she leaned against swayed gently.

“I haven’t seen you much at training lately. What have you been up to these past few weeks?” Lansius inquired, noting that Audrey seldom sought his company unless others were present.

“Just practicing on my own,” she replied nonchalantly.

Lansius could only nod in response. Their relationship had become somewhat strained, a situation complicated by recent events. “Would you like to go for a ride or do something together?” he suggested.

“I have an appointment to attend to today, my apology, My Lord,” Audrey politely declined before leaving the chamber.

Her formal address, referring to him as ‘My Lord’, prompted a sigh from Lansius as he contemplated their complex relationship.

 

***

 

With nothing on his schedule, Lansius returned to his chamber. Yearning for a ride to clear his head, he gathered his riding gear and prepared to depart. As he emerged, Cecile and Sterling were waiting for him.

“My Lord, a messenger just arrived,” Cecile reported, offering up an envelope of superior quality, bound and sealed. With the spring rains finally subsiding, the roads had become navigable again, and messengers began to arrive in Korelia.

Recognizing the signet on the wax seal, Lansius broke open the envelope. The letter was from Lord Robert, detailing the tax assessments from his realm after the previous year’s harvest.

While primarily a formality, the missive intrigued Lansius due to its quality. The letter of that era wasn’t crafted from ordinary pulp paper, but from a thin, almost translucent animal hide known as vellum. It was penned with a sharp-tipped quill made from a large bird’s feather.

The consistent black ink and elegant handwriting suggested the work of a highly skilled scribe. Despite its cursive style, the text was perfectly legible.

“Cecile, ensure our staff treats the messenger well. I’ll meet him tomorrow along with the council members,” Lansius instructed. Then, to his squire, he said, “Sterling, let’s go for a ride.”

The two attendants bowed in acknowledgment.

Lansius felt he needed to add something. “Cecile, there's no need to inform your father about this.”

Cecile smiled and nodded. “Yes, My Lord, I understand.”

The last thing he wanted was another training session.

Just as he was about to depart, Cecile motioned for a private word with the Lord. Lansius nodded once in acknowledgment and spoke to Sterling, "Prepare the horse for me. I'll be there soon."

Sterling nodded and headed toward the stables.

"What is it?" Lansius asked gently.

"Pardon me, My Lord, but I think you need to know that Lady Audrey is trying her best to practice archery on her own."

"Archery? You mean with bows?" Lansius asked, showing great interest.

Cecile nodded. "Yes, My Lord. She's bought two from the tribesmen."

Lansius sighed. "She could have told me about this."

Cecile giggled. "No lady likes to show when she's fumbling. It's considered unsightly."

Lansius could only smile. "How good is she with the bow?"

"Right now..." She shook her head. "Especially not on horseback."

"She trained horseback archery on her own?"

"Indeed, My Lord. She believes it's more practical to use bows on horseback than mini crossbows. She... Lady Audrey is trying hard to be useful in her own role."

Lansius nodded silently. He knew Audrey had been addressing many issues, acting as the matriarch that held the female staff together and kept the younger staff in check. She was also the figure that the rest of the army respected.

Cecile continued, "My Lord, please don't mention this to anyone."

"Gratitude, I will heed my trusted cup-bearer's advice."

Cecile smiled and bowed slightly. Lansius then headed towards the stables in a much better mood.

Upon seeing Lansius, his destrier perked up eagerly, akin to a dog being offered a walk. With the day’s fair weather, Lansius opted for a trip to the northern forest to inspect its outskirts.

Upon their departure from the castle, the destrier trotted excitedly. Over time, Lansius had grown accustomed to the horse’s temperamental nature, learning to trust it to carry him safely.

Unlike a vehicle, a horse was more akin to a moody AI. The more robust the horses, the more unpredictable their behavior.

Accompanied by four others, Lansius and Sterling rode in a column formation. Sterling’s riding skills had improved significantly, allowing him to keep pace with Lansius despite riding a less powerful horse.

They had barely left Korelia when they encountered an unusual sight. Lansius reined in his destrier, who neighed and jerked in protest. He patted her to soothe her mood. The horse loved running, so halting her just short of the open plains made her irritable.

However, Lansius couldn’t peel his eyes away from the strange spectacle before him. A woman was clinging to a large tree, precariously perched on a lofty branch.

The sight of her silhouette up so high was enough to induce dizziness.

A blonde girl? Is she nobility?

“Excuse me, my lady,” Lansius called up to her.

“H-hang on, give me a moment, please…” came a melodious voice from above.

“My lady, that’s dangerous!” Lansius warned. A fall from such a height could be fatal.

“I know,” she responded.

Her actions left Lansius and his companions perplexed.

“What’s the lass doing up there?” Sterling asked, noticing a group of children hidden behind the bushes surrounding the tree.

“Oh, please don’t bother the kids. They’re just helping me to— eh, ahh!” Her hand slipped.

“Look out!” shouted one of the guards, causing Lansius’ heart to skip a beat.

 

***

 

35