Chapter 49 : War Council
800 5 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 49

War Council

 

The door to the Council Chamber swung open, and Lansius stepped inside. He immediately noticed the buzz of activity as Audrey, Calub, and Felis were already present. “At ease,” he instructed nonchalantly.

“Where have you been?” Audrey inquired.

“Just relaying a message to Sterling,” he replied.

“Your speech at the Training Hall was quite impressive, My Lord,” Calub complimented, setting his doubts aside for the moment.

“Gratitude, Calub,” Lansius acknowledged, prompting a curious look from Felis.

“I’ll explain later,” Calub reassured Felis.

With only familiar faces in the room, Audrey shrugged off her black outer garment and hung it over the back of her chair. “Ahh...” she sighed, evidently affected by the oppressive heat. Her ivory-colored tunic clung to her skin, soaked with sweat.

“Isn’t the Great Chamber cooler?” Calub questioned, removing his off-white jacket in the process.

“Hannei mentioned she’d be willing to cool the room, but only if it’s just us present,” Felis remarked, settling into her chair.

Calub nodded in agreement, swiftly refocusing his attention on the scrolls spread out before him. On the surface, he maintained a calm demeanor, but internally, worry was gnawing at him.

The alchemist was among the few who hadn’t accepted Lansius’ explanation at face value in the billet’s training hall. Yet, he chose not to challenge Lansius, especially when he had no better alternatives to offer.

Lansius retreated behind a thick canvas screen that served as a divider for his makeshift quarters. “Yesterday wasn’t this hot,” he mumbled as he sat on his bed, his skin glistening with sweat.

“In Lowlandia, they say the height of summer arrives as unexpectedly as a winter blizzard,” said Calub.

“A blizzard sounds nice,” Lansius murmured before snapping back to reality. “Calub, we’re likely to face a siege soon. How are our food and grain supplies?”

“We’re prepared for short sieges,” Calub reported. “Korelians are hardy and experienced people. They’ve prepared for a siege and stockpiled what they could, mostly salted or smoked goods.”

“And for long sieges?” Audrey asked, her voice laced with concern.

“We don’t have to worry about long sieges,” Lansius replied candidly. “The walls of Korelia aren’t designed to withstand siege weapons, and our trenches don’t cover the entire town. We’d stand no chance in such a scenario.”

Feeling the need to balance the argument, Calub added, “Before the enemy arrives, reinforcements from Lord Robert should arrive with additional supplies.”

“Let’s not count on that aid,” Lansius cautioned. “It’d be great if they came, but we can’t rely on external help.”

Reluctantly, Calub nodded and said, “Our food will last. The city will start rationing today.”

“Start the evacuation plan tomorrow,” Lansius ordered.

Calub nodded again. They had agreed to evacuate non-combatants to several villages and baronets’ estates. Sir Callahan, Sir Justin, and several other knights had prepared for this eventuality.

“I’m sorry to burden you with this,” Lansius said.

“Well, we’re short on capable people. We have plenty of muscle, but not enough men trained with ink and papers.”

Lansius chuckled. “You should ask Hannei for help.”

Calub smiled. “She barely reads the common alphabet.”

“Oh, right. She’s only proficient in the old tongue,” Lansius remarked.

Suddenly, the door swung open again.

“Thank you for accompanying me,” said a woman before entering.

The people inside turned toward the door and saw Hannei enter. Outside, the page boy Margo gave a small bow before closing the door behind her.

“How’s Tia?” Calub asked as Hannei entered.

“She’s sleeping soundly after I cooled the room,” Hannei replied while looking around, and then she looked at Lansius in his bed.

“Heya,” Lansius waved his hand as their gazes met.

“Lans, do you really plan to sleep here continuously? It’s been how many days already,” said Hannei casually.

“Well, my study is too small. Besides, it’s comfortable and spacious in here,” he responded lightly.

“See, see! He likes it here,” Felis chimed in.

So Hannei has spoken about her disapproval.

“That’s okay Hannei. I don’t mind it at all,” Lansius said with a smile.

But that made Hannei let out a sigh. “Audrey, you should take better care of him. Otherwise, some girl would exploit him.”

“I hear you Hannei. Sometimes he’s so naïve,” Audrey replied so readily.

“Wha-” Lansius was surprised. Of all people, he was hearing it from Audrey.

The room was chuckling at the Lord’s expense.

“This is so embarrassing...” Lansius conceded.

“This brings back memories of Toruna,” Calub chuckled, setting aside his scrolls and quill pen.

After a moment of reminiscence, Felis clapped her hands. “I’m glad that our bond remains unchanged.”

Lansius exhaled and offered a smile, believing the timing to be just right. “Felis,” he called out warmly. “War is on the horizon for Korelia. Would you be willing to lead the refugees to Sir Callahan’s baronet?”

“Why? Don’t you need my help?” Felis asked, slightly offended.

Lansius gave a genuine smile, aware that she was referring to her marksman skills, not her uncanny luck. There was an unspoken agreement among their circle of friends to never discuss her mysterious power openly, fearing it might estrange Felis. “I want you to meet Cecile’s little sister. I heard she’s adorable, and blonde too.”

Felis’ interest was instantly piqued at the mention of a younger Cecile, stirring her motherly instincts. However, she shook her head. “No, I’ll be staying here. You’ll need my help.”

Lansius glanced at Hannei and Calub. The pair shrugged but largely looked content.

“I’ll stay with her,” Hannei gave her words to ease Lansius’ worry.

Lansius nodded.

At least I tried. If she wanted to stay then, who am I to go against Fortuna’s favorite?

Afterward, Hannei seemed to notice the heat. Without being asked, she chanted a prayer in French. The air began to circulate faster, and then a whiff of fresh air breezed from the narrow window. There was no blinding light, just the sound of wind rustling inside.

The room gradually became cooler to the point where it almost felt like on top of a mountain. Everybody was looking much more relaxed.

“Gratitude,” Calub and Audrey thanked Hannei almost at the same time.

“You’re welcome,” Hannei replied. Then she sat next to Felis.

Using magic like this was an extravagance, but a well-known practice. The Imperium’s high nobles precisely employed their mages to do these things. Bodyguards and also walking air conditioners, even walking refrigerators. Rarely did they put their precious mages into harm’s way.

In retrospect, the mages in this world were fundamentally different. There was no casting fire or water out of nothing. No mana or magic circuits inside the body. And no hindrance to wearing heavy armor.

While mages couldn’t control the elements, they could infuse the surrounding air with magical properties and manipulate it to a degree.

However, in combat, mages used their magical properties to empower their own body, making them more resilient, powerful, and with greater stamina. Meanwhile, healing followed a radically different mechanism. A closely guarded secret of the Healers’ Guild.

“Anyway, Lans,” Hannei called.

“Aye?”

“I heard about the war, but I still need to tell you about Midlandia.”

Hannei’s words jolted Lansius. “Eh... I totally forgot about it.” He rose and reached out for a seat next to her.

“You look busy as the lord, so I don’t want to put more trouble. But it doesn’t seem like you’ll have a break anytime soon.”

“Well, a war is coming.”

Hannei could only nod. Concern flashed across her face.

“So, what happened in Midlandia?” Lansius asked, not wanting to be distracted again.

Hannei took a deep breath before announcing, “The current Lord of Midlandia intends to vacate his position.”

Lansius blanked when he heard those words. “What?”

The room immediately tensed. Even Calub appeared disturbed.

“It’s not official yet, but the word is from Lord Bengrieve.”

This is more than bad news...

“But why so suddenly? Is the Lord of Midlandia ill?” Calub asked, trying to comprehend the implications.

“I don’t believe so. I heard he’s relinquishing his claim. It appears to involve a Saint Candidate.”

Lansius glanced at Calub, who could only shake his head in response.

“Large guilds are naturally secretive. I’m unaware of another guild’s plans or design concerning Midlandia.”

“Then who’s the proposed new lord?” Lansius queried.

“That’s the problem. Lord Bengrieve hasn’t proposed a candidate yet.”

Lansius let out a sigh.

Even if we’re winning, no help or assistance will come from Midlandia.

“So, we’re on our own?” Calub asked Hannei cautiously.

She shook her head. “No, Bengrieve said that Lansius should do his utmost. The success in Korelia would reflect well on Bengrieve and his potential candidate.”

Lansius blinked, his mind racing with worries. “I’ll try, but this is going to be the damnedest nearest-run thing.”

His somber warning quieted the chamber. They all recognized the weight of the hopes pinned on Lansius, a man neither born nor prepared for such roles and responsibilities.

Hannei then turned to Felis and said, “Bengrieve also told me this: Til the matter is settled, Felis should stay in Korelia. He fears someone might capture her as a bargaining chip.”

A succession crisis is always a mess...

“Well, anyway, I’m surprised you got involved, considering your hermit lifestyle,” Lansius remarked to Hannei.

“Felis is like a sister to me,” Hannei responded, causing Felis to beam with delight.

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door.

“Who is it?” Audrey called, rising from her seat.

“The Lord has instructed me to summon Batu and Sir Justin. They have arrived and are waiting in the Great Chamber,” Sterling’s voice came from the outside.

“Welp, that’s my cue,” Lansius announced, standing to change his clothes.

 

***

 

Lansius entered the Great Chamber, Audrey, Calub, and Sterling in tow.

Batu and Sir Justin rose from their seats as they arrived.

“Please remain seated,” Lansius said, as he and his companions took their places.

“You summoned us, My Lord?” inquired Sir Justin.

“Yes, I wish to discuss our war plan,” Lansius responded.

Calub proceeded to unfurl a map of Western Lowlandia on the long table. It lacked a bird’s-eye perspective like Lansius’ map, but it would serve its purpose.

“Now, there are twelve days left. They should be around here,” Lansius indicated on the map.

“My brethren and I plan to raid their camp at night when they are exhausted or attempt an attack when they venture out to collect their water supply,” Batu stated resolutely.

“That’s a bold plan, but can you accomplish it without significant casualties to your clans?” Lansius questioned.

Batu offered a faint smile and shook his head. “Given their numbers and the size of their camp, my brethren and I are likely to be cut down after two attempts.”

His sobering honesty cast a pall over the group. With only two-hundred riders, Batu and his men would likely only have two chances. To pit them against a force of six-thousand, plus three hundred cavalry and expect a positive outcome was overly optimistic.

“The Nicopolan mercenaries are also renowned for their light cavalry. They are skilled trackers and hunters,” Lansius warned.

Batu nodded. “Our brethren near Korimor have alerted us. They have been retreating from Korimor due to such raids.”

“Do they take hostages?” asked Sir Justin.

“No, they enslave immediately, given our nomadic origin,” Batu replied, candid about the grim realities of war.

Lansius instinctively glanced at Audrey. She appeared composed, yet her eyes blazed with fury. Raising his hand to signal he was about to speak, he contemplated for a moment before finally announcing, “Batu, I want your people to steer clear of them.”

Eyebrows knitted in confusion were directed at Lansius, who continued, “While harassing their water supply and attempting to burn their supplies will damage them, I doubt it will inflict enough to deplete their forces. I’m not willing to trade your nomadic horsemen for that result.”

Batu gladly nodded. “Then what is your plan?”

“We’ll confront them on our turf. They want a siege, so we’ll give them one. Batu, you and your horsemen should only engage on my signal. Set up your camp further south of town and stay well hidden.”

“We’re facing them head-on, My Lord?” Sir Justin asked with excitement. His enthusiasm was contagious and lifted the mood of everyone present.

Lansius appeared less somber than usual. “Not quite, but let them think they’ve caught us off guard.”

“What role do you expect us, the nomads, to play in this battle?” Batu inquired.

Lansius leaned forward toward Batu. “The role of the hunter. When the time comes, give me your hardest battle and you will feast on their blood. Tell your brethren to stock up on their arrows, sharpen their blades, and steel their resolve. If need be, I will unleash something Lowlandia will never forget.”

 

***

 

 

jjNYkVZ.png

Check my Patreon to support Horizon of War and ensure its continuity

Read The Siege of Korelia, 10 Advanced Chapter. That's half a Volume ⸜(˶˃ ᵕ ˂˶)⸝💕


Join any of the four available ranks:

The Warlords, The Royal Black, The Grand Prince & The Knights of Midlandia

and immediately gain access to yet-to-be-published Horizon of War chapters, Artworks, special discord role, personal thanks & mention, and the chance to introduce your own personalized character.

Dedicated Character Image Channel in Discord: https://discord.gg/CUPpqzTDA3

Twitter: https://twitter.com/HanneAuthor

We have Glossary for early chapter:  Glossary.

If you enjoyed this story, please consider sharing it with others. As always big thank you for all your support, ratings, reviews, and comments.

30