Chapter 66 : Solidus
657 2 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 66

Solidus

 

With lunch concluded, Sir Harold excused himself to attend to security matters. There were numerous concerns to be addressed, as the Eastern Mansion was only lightly defended. So, despite the newfound peace, he regularly sent out patrols and kept his men on the lookout.

It was rather hard to keep his men alert. Their motivation had largely waned as the war was largely over, but Sir Harold, with his tall upright posture and sharp fighter attitude, managed to keep them at their best. Even without his dashing armor, he was full of confidence.

Today, his requests for help had been answered. The Marshall had sent fifteen select crossbowmen from Korelia Castle to bolster the mansion’s security. The sight of them marching past the mansion gate brought relief to the knight. Without wasting time, he immediately briefed the newcomers on their assignments.

As for Lansius, after lunch, the staff urged their Lord to retreat to his room. With the main chamber still under renovation after several years of neglect, Lansius used one of the guest rooms. Audrey slept in a nearby guestroom, and they spent the day in the adjoining hall.

With Cecile busy at the castle, only Margo was available as their Page.

“How’s Sterling?” Lansius asked Margo. The boy was looking prettier, and it was hard to discern his gender without looking at his attire. He would be a good candidate for spying duties if Lansius ever needed one.

“He’s recovering, My Lord,” replied the Pageboy.

“Has his fever come down?” asked Audrey from her seat that overlooked a large glass window.

“Last time I heard, he has awakened. Lady Hannei has visited him.”

“Ah,” said Lansius while nodding. While he could order Hannei to heal his wrist, there were many lives at stake, and he trusted Hannei to do the right thing. “Drey, do you mind if I go inside? I’m going to write something.”

Audrey shifted her gaze from the scenery outside the window to meet Lansius’ eyes. “Please don’t let my presence bother you, My Lord,” she added at the end since Margo was present.

Lansius entered his room and welcomed the large open window that let in the breeze to fight against the summer heat. He sat at the recently cleaned chair and took a stack of parchment from the dark lacquered desk.

He took a deep breath and pondered for a while. On average, an annual barony income was around 300 gold. A barony was considered rich if it could gain 400 gold from the land.However, for Korelia, Lansius could only gain around 200 gold coins each year from taxes and harvest share.

Not all was in coins, a good percentage was in goods like grains, salted meat, local textile, and domestic horses.

Above the barony were the viscountcies. Lord Robert’s income from the White Lake Viscountcy had previously been 800 gold coins annually. However, since he lost Korelia, his income now stood at 600 gold coins.

From that 600, Lansius took another 300 as capitulation. Thus, Robert ended up with only 300. While it looked a lot less, it was still a Baron’s level of income. That income allowed Robert to slowly nurse back his House’s strength and continued to rule his domain.

The gentle breeze greeted Lansius as he prepared the ink and the quill pen. While he didn’t have his scrolls and records, he had memorized many of its numbers. So, he jotted them down to refresh his mind.

First was Lord Robert’s past capitulation that became House Lansius’ current wealth.

Income In Gold
Robert's Baggage Train 1,400
Capitulation, a share of accumulated Robert's Wealth 2,100
Ransom payments from Knights/ Squire families 700
Confiscated, looted items from war 700
A share of White Lake's annual tax 300
Korelia annual tax 200
Horse trading scheme with Midlandia 50
Sir Justin's horse smuggling 50
Total in Gold 5,500
Total in Silver (1 Gold is 20 Silver) 110,000
Total in Copper (1 Silver is 12 Copper) 1,320,000

 

Lansius finished the first parchment detailing his House’s income from the past year. He set it aside to dry and began listing the current expenses on a second parchment.

He calculated the expenses for the six months since he had come into power. The largest expense was for the trench work, which he paid for in salt. Each worker received the equivalent of 5 copper per day for work that lasted effectively 90 days.

The combined cost of the trench work and the salt scheme was more than twice the upkeep of his army. However, he saw this as an investment and aid relief.

The second largest expense was the cost to maintain his military of 400 men-at-arms and crossbowmen. The standard rate for men-at-arms on a campaign was about 4 copper daily, including meals, while cavalrymen cost around 8 copper daily.

The previous year, Lansius and Sir Justin negotiated a standby rate that also included free lodgings and armament leases. This rate was half of the original campaign rate: 2 copper daily for each man-at-arms, including meals, and 4 copper daily for cavalrymen.

Considering that even master smiths, carpenters, and artisans only earned 4 copper daily, this was already a good living wage.

Expenses (Half a Year, 190 days, Standby rate) In Copper
400 men-at-arms and crossbowmen. 2 copper daily 152,000
70 cavalrymen. 4 copper daily 53,200
15 squires, captains, lieutenant. avg. 5 copper daily 14,200
200 crossbow trigger mechanism. 20 copper 4,000
50 Arbalest. 6 silver (72 copper each) 3,600
40 Half Lance Armor. 3 gold (720 copper each) 28,800
Workshop 20 maesters. 4 copper daily 15,200
Trench Work, Salt investment 1000 men. 5 copper 450,000
Total in Copper (1 Silver is 12 Copper) 721,050

 

With 1.3 million copper in the coffers and 720,000 in expenses, Lansius’ current wealth was around 600,000 copper or slightly less than 2,500 gold coins.

While 2,500 gold might seem like a lot, Lansius and his treasurer, Calub, weren’t comfortable. The truth was, a small barony like Korelia could hardly afford hundreds of troops for the typical 40-day campaign.

In fact, the reason most campaigns only lasted around 40 or 60 days was mainly due to the financial burden.

Feeling the need for comparison, Lansius started to write on another parchment.

Normal campaign rate 40 days ( in Copper)
200 men-at-arms on campaign 4 copper daily 32,000
20 cavalry on campaign 8 copper daily 6,400
Total in Copper 38,400
Total in Gold 160

 

Just like his previous calculations stored in the castle cabinet, a poor barony like Korelia, with an annual income of only 200 gold coins, could only afford two-hundred men with twenty cavalry for 40 days. The total cost would be around 160 gold coins, not including other costs but factoring in food.

The costly nature of war led the nobility to draw from the populace to bolster their ranks. Compulsory military service or levied troops were basically free, with the nobility only required to feed them during the campaign.

Because of how inexpensive these levied troops were, they could outnumber the men-at-arms in any army by three to five times. However, as Lansius knew firsthand, there were serious issues with using them against well-trained and motivated soldiers.

Still, the high cost of war didn’t prevent the nobility from mustering large armies, especially in times of emergency or continuous wars. The nobles could simply refuse or delay cash payments.

As Calub had said, in reality, no nobles paid in full. The usual scheme was to offer land grants for farming, tax exemptions for several years, promises of employment as servants or guardsmen, special permits for trade, and so on. As long as the baron remained in power, he could offer special privileges in lieu of payment.

Lansius wasn’t unfamiliar with such tactics. After all, Cecile had been hired when Sir Callahan switched loyalties from Lord Robert.

However, Lansius drew the line at paying his soldiers. He didn’t want any discontent among the men he had painstakingly trained. Many would say he spoiled his troops, but there would be a time when things were hard and he would need to drive them hard.

Nothing had prepared Lansius for his role, but he had come to accept his responsibility.

Lansius looked at the numbers again and mulled them over. He wished that someday he could sustain his army without having to dip into his savings.

Piqued by this idea, he decided to calculate the cost of maintaining his current army for a full year.

Annual Expenses for Current Military (standby) In Copper
400 men-at-arms and crossbowmen. 2 copper daily 304,000
70 cavalrymen. 4 copper daily 106,400
15 squires, captains, lieutenant. avg. 5 copper daily 28,500
Total in Copper (1 Silver is 12 Copper) 438,900
Total in Gold 1,829

 

Lansius calculated that the military expenses for his current posture exceeded 1,800 gold coins annually.

This was before other costs like servants, guardsmen, cooks, gifts for guests, additional purchases, guild projects, etc. Meanwhile, Korelia’s income was only 200 gold coins.

Seeing the absurd numbers, Lansius chuckled. He realized that he and Calub were rather mad to let this happen, but last year, they had only one shot at survival.

Driven by curiosity and a desire for a complete picture, Lansius carefully sharpened the quill pen and dipped it into the thick ink before writing down his House’s annual income.

Annual Income In Gold
A share of White Lake's annual tax 300
Korelia annual tax 200
Horse trading scheme with Midlandia 50
Sir Justin's horse smuggling 50
Total in Gold 600

 

Upon finishing, he compared the last two parchments and saw an income of 600 gold coins and expenses of 1,800 gold coins. He was clearly in the red.

And not just slightly - House Lansius’ expenses were three times its current income.

A standing army is really expensive.

He mused, leaning back in his chair and looking up at the ceiling. His left shoulder felt a bit sore from the arm sling, so he rested his left wrist on the table.

With his shoulders relaxed, Lansius mulled over his idea of a standing army. The cost alone of maintaining a professional army year-round was ridiculously high. This was the reason why such an arrangement did not become common in the medieval era - most feudal lords would simply disband their armies when they were no longer needed.

Even with his recent massive victory, Lansius was under no illusions about his future income. Though he could secure similar schemes with Three Hills and Korimor, he doubted he could maintain his current army solely from income.

But he understood that to limit his growth for financial reasons alone would be utterly foolish. He wasn’t a clerk trying to do a profitable business, he was a warlord trying to fight his way out of the turmoil era.

Only might, backed by sound logistics, is what truly matters...

With the upcoming war in Arvena and the Imperium on the brink of collapse, things would turn a lot worse for decades before even changing up for the better.

In the face of that, aside from food security, investing in troops and their loyalty seemed to be the correct choice.

This was where the ransom money and looted items played a role. They could amount to thousands and easily fill his coffers with gold and silver. Thus, House Lansius was still in a relatively good position for several years.

The issue was his Korelia building project.

Lansius wished to transform Korelia into a thriving city. He and Calub had read the records last winter and conducted experiments on the land. From what they gathered, the underdeveloped east side of Korelia held the potential for agricultural development.

Situated next to a river, the site was ideally suited for irrigation. Moreover, the area was prone to annual flooding in the spring following the harsh winter. The only issue was the lack of natural wind barriers. The steppe winds were fierce and strong, resulting in substantial water loss and significant temperature fluctuations between day and night.

They had observed firsthand that plants could initially thrive, but they would eventually wither and die due to the extreme wind conditions.

Therefore, quite ironically, what Korelia needed were walls and windbreak trees - not for defense, but for food production.

With 1,000 forced workers at his disposal, Lansius planned to restart the stone quarry. This wall project would be costly, but it could provide Korelia with a permanent defensive structure and potentially swathes of fertile land.

Perhaps he could even use a section of the wall to construct a large tower as a new living space, as Korelia Castle was too limited.

Maybe even a windmill and watermill...

He reflected on history. The reason why kings built castles was not merely for indulgence, but also to attract people from all social classes. The newcomers would sell their merchandise and offer their services to the workers, artisans, and smiths who labored there, as well as the growing noble class that moved to reside within the castle’s vicinity.

Shops and stalls would spring up, offering food, clothing, and medicine. Drinking establishments, taverns, barber shops, tailors, bathhouses, theaters, entertainment venues, and various workshops would also emerge to meet the demands of the city.

Over time, these transient merchants and artisans would settle and become part of the city’s population. Thus, what began as a castle-building project would transform into a thriving, bustling society.

Lansius wanted to emulate this tried-and-true method. He would likely have the funds after Lord Jorge’s capitulation, but he needed to be prudent to avoid squandering it.

To feed and house another thousand men....

Regardless of whether they were forced workers, Lansius had to meet their basic needs. Grain would be an issue, and he considered exclusively buying wheat from Lord Robert and the Eastern Merchants for another year or two.

His trade balance might look ugly at first, but his pashmina shawl project would likely be profitable once the guild had supplied Korelia with spinning wheels. Additionally, as Noyan, Lansius could expect a share of horses each year, which would boost his horse trading scheme.

Immersed in his work, Lansius delved into various calculations to ensure he wasn’t overlooking any factors. Planning and data sheets brought reminders of his past life—how to plan ahead, make preparations, and devise contingency plans. Only now the stakes were the lives of so many.

Still, he knew better not to let it cloud his judgment. After surviving two major wars, soft-hearted as he was, even Lansius had become desensitized.

 

***

 

Korelia, Eastern Mansion

It was close to midday when the deputy arrived at the Eastern Mansion. He was hurried to the upper chamber where Lord Lansius and Sir Harold were standing, looking over an unfurled map of the province on the table. “My Lord, you wish to see me?”

“Hugo, what do you know about Korimor castle and the northern corridor?” asked Lansius as he gestured for him to come nearer.

Hugo looked surprised upon hearing it. “The Korimor Castle...? I heard its main keep and towers are bigger than Korelia,” he replied while approaching the table.

“And the northern corridor?” reminded Sir Harold.

The deputy mulled for a moment. “It’s a direct path to Korimor and even Midlandia, but it’s easy to get lost there. Water is also scarce and there are some rumors of banditry going on.”

“The banditry is by the Nicopolans raiders, the same ones we beat in the forest,” Lansius explained. “Also, the nomad tribesmen know the route with fresh water even in summer.”

Hugo began to sense where this was going, and fear grew within him. “My Lord, do you wish to attack Korimor?”

Lansius’ face remained stoic as he glanced at Hugo and spoke, “A good warlord expands.”

The Lord’s words made Hugo swallow dryly. His eyes couldn’t hold a gaze against Lansius. Meanwhile, Sir Harold mulled over the idea.

Lansius continued, “You know me. I’m neither a warmonger nor an opportunist by nature. Yet, I carry the weight of ten thousand souls on my shoulders... Hugo, we need every leverage we can find. Because, at the end of the day, it’s just us. So, are you with me?”

 

***

 

Dedicated Character Image Channel in Discord: https://discord.gg/CUPpqzTDA3

Twitter: https://twitter.com/HanneAuthor

We have Glossary for early chapter:  Glossary.

If you enjoyed this story, please consider sharing it with others. As always big thank you for all your support, ratings, reviews, and comments.

19