Chapter 79 : Lull Before the Storm
532 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 79

Lull Before the Storm

 

Felicity

The blonde Lady, still occupying the Master Chamber in the castle, was disassembling a new crossbow. Her desk was cluttered with tools, various cords, and spare parts for the trigger.

She wanted a more comfortable grip, and Hannei had given her the idea for a pistol grip. The only problem lay in modifying the trigger, so she experimented to create some parts with the help of a smith.

Today, the parts arrived and she was about to reassemble the trigger when she felt a warm feeling reaching out to her.

Felis immediately touched her necklace and felt a warm sensation in her mind. She rushed to her bag and spilled its contents onto the bed. Rummaging through the items, she found the bracelet she was looking for.

It was a precious find from her days exploring the dwarven ruins. As far as she knew, there was only one in existence. She put it on and a burst of emotion surged forth.

"Love, are you safe? Where are you?" the voice from the other end whispered as their minds began to intertwine.

My Lord, how I've missed you. Does this mean you're back in Midlandia? I'm in Korelia; I'm safe, they're treating me well here.

"I'm so glad to hear that. Yes, love, I've returned. It's a shame I couldn't bring this wonderful item to the Capital, but the place was as dangerous as we suspected."

I’m thrilled to feel your thoughts again. How was the journey...?

"Rough. The road was incredibly dangerous, even with our armed escorts. Signs of trouble were everywhere. Anci even claimed he saw fell beasts lurking near the camp several times."

The Elandia forest is ancient. He could be speaking the truth.

“I believe him. Oh, before I forget, the mission is a success. I secured support and funds to retake Arvena.”

That’s most fortunate, My Lord. Congratulations!

“Naturally. How’s life there? I heard Lansius won a big victory. I was worried for you when I learned he was up against three Lords.”

Felis felt a wave of raw emotion from Arte.

Don’t worry, he kept me safe. Korelia troops won big.

“So the rumor was true after all... It’s good to know that Bengrieve's money wasn’t wasted. Mm, to think that my squire has grown powerful now.”

Yes, the unassuming man turned out to be special.

“I’m rather envious of him. But in a good way.”

Of course, My Lord. There’s also something else; we just found out that Audrey is a cousin to one of Lowlandia’s Barons.

“Audrey? Isn’t she the woman squire Lansius is looking for?”

She's the one! They've just gotten married. As it turns out, her House had relocated to Lowlandia and achieved incredible success. But since they lost the war to Lansius, all their possessions are now up for grabs.

"Married...? And to think he'd choose such an outlier, a shield maiden nonetheless. But, what a turn of luck!"

Indeed. Now they could potentially claim the barony.

Flashes of emotion emitted from Arte, almost akin to a hearty laugh. "So many surprises in Lowlandia. How fortunate those two are!"

Don't you also want to marry someone like her with a barony on her hand?

“No, love, you’re perfect. I doubt she’s as open-minded as you. Not even the ladies in the capital are as bold and daring.”

Felis blushed and her emotion carried to Arte.

"Besides, I'd definitely lose support if I married a Baroness with a history of being a shield-maiden. What is Lansius thinking? Is he always this bold, or is this normal in Lowlandia?"

Lansius is always bold. He's a beast in sheep's clothing. But really, even in Lowlandia, I've never seen another shield-maiden. I have seen a Nicopolan captain, but she's a noblewoman turned mercenary.

"It must be great to have that degree of freedom. Throwing caution to the wind like it's nothing. I suppose he can afford it, especially after a series of big victories."

Nobody is against the marriage. People seem to be fully supportive.

"Fascinating. Do you think he's planning something by marrying her?"

Felis chuckled. How could I fathom someone like him? They call him the bane of Lowlandia.

"A fitting name... Oh, don’t tell Lansius, but officials from the Capital should arrive in about three weeks. They’re resting in Midlandia right now. But I guess he doesn't need them as much anymore."

Which is perfect. He can save himself from having to offer bribes.

"Hah! Indeed, the officials will likely ask for bribes."

Felis smiled and decided to ask. Will you also send your carriage for me, My Lord?

"Of course, it's best if we're together. You wouldn't like to hear it but aside from Midlandia's succession issue, there are all sorts of problems brewing."

I'm aware. Even so far in Korelia, I heard all kinds of unsettling rumors...

“Love, there’s much I want to tell you, but the item’s power is fleeting.”

Indeed, I feel the voice getting farther and weaker. Felis felt the voice in her mind fading as the magical item’s power waned.

“Till the next opportunity, love.”

You too, My Lord.

Flushed with emotion, Felis removed her finger from the bracelet. Alongside mere thoughts, they also shared glimpses of their deepest desires, as minds are wild and uncontrollable by nature.

Felis couldn’t wait to be with Arte again, the man who was unafraid of her wild side and lifelong secrets.

 

***

 

Lansius

As night fell, instead of burning midnight candles, Lansius decided to adjourn the war council. He felt there was no need to exhaust his retinues over things beyond their capabilities.

In the case of Korimor, there was simply no easy way out. Thus, although the need to reinforce Hugo was pressing, Lansius chose to remain calm and only planned for a small advance party.

He was keenly aware that Korelia was already filled with captured men and understood the risks from sending out another hundred or so troops to Korimor.

Moreover, he needed to warn Lord Jorge and Lord Robert. While still contemplating his plans for Korimor, the powerful duo of Korelia retired to their bedchamber.

Lansius locked the door while Audrey went behind the folding screen to change her clothes. She still hadn’t selected a chambermaid to assist her. Fortunately, she didn’t fancy a fine gown, so dressing up wasn’t a big deal.

Since Audrey didn’t know much about gowns, it was Felis who had helped her find attire for formal occasions. However, most couldn’t fit her properly as she was too athletic compared to a regular woman.

With no reputable tailor in town, they had ordered several new dresses from White Lake. Lansius was eager to see her in well-fitted attire, believing that hand-me-downs didn’t do her justice.

Lansius placed a fresh log into the fireplace and then changed clothes. According to custom, while the lower classes often slept in their daily clothes, some in the upper class chose to sleep naked, enjoying the luxury of privacy and the comfort of good blankets.

However, having grown up as a squire, Audrey was more comfortable wearing simple clothes to sleep. Moreover, due to old habits from their time on the road, the couple kept gambesons, swords, and crossbows nearby. They were a rather spartan couple.

After changing into his simple shirt, Lansius went to the corner of his room where a stone washbasin with drainage was located. He took a freshly cut young twig from a clay platter and chewed one end. The bite easily produced a bristled tip, which he used as a toothbrush.

The twig felt refreshingly gingery, mixed with a paste of powdered clover and salt. After a quick gurgle, he was done. Next, he washed his face using clean water from the copper basin.

Finished with cleaning up, he stretched out in bed. It was probably not even 8 p.m., but he felt sleepy. Ever since getting married, he had come to cherish their private hours together. Only during these times could they simply be a normal couple.

He often contemplated how much he had been through to reach this point in life. Looking back, he realized there were many moments where he could have made a mistake and failed, or taken a wrong turn and ended up dead.

However, there was no shudder or fear from it.

Life is funny; it keeps knocking me down but also elevates me to greater heights.

His own thoughts gave him pause. “My Lady," he asked, "why didn’t you tell me about Omin?”

“What about... Lans, stop calling me that when we’re alone,” Audrey complained from behind the lacquered folding screen.

Lansius chuckled. He had teased her enough after the surprising reveal two days ago. “But really, you’re the Baroness now. I’m just an imposter. You should rule and I’ll be the consort. What do you think?”

Only groans came from behind the folding screen. Then Audrey appeared, wearing a deep blue linen nightgown, her face flushed and irritated. She walked briskly toward the bed and pouted in front of Lansius. “Let’s keep things as they were. Nothing has changed except my title.”

“Yes, My Lady.”

She jumped into the bed and tickled him, causing Lansius to burst into laughter. “Ok, Ok, I’m sorry, Ackk!”

Lansius, half-laughing, and half-gasping for air, asked again, “So, Omin...?”

“What about him?” she retorted moodily.

“Don’t you find his name suspicious?”

Audrey sighed. “I thought it was merely coincidental. Sometimes, identical names can happen, right?”

“Omin? What part of that name is normal?” he complained.

“I thought it was common.” She shrugged, got out of bed, and went to brush her teeth.

“Drey, since you’re a Baroness, could you knight several men for me?”

She turned her head around quickly and asked, “Eh, I can do that?”

“Of course, you can,” Lansius smiled. “Transferring power internally within the House doesn’t require the Imperium’s consent. So you’re a full-fledged Baroness now.”

“Then I should be the first,” she exclaimed, excitedly.

“First to do what?” Lansius knitted his brows.

“To knight myself!”

Watching her innocent face, Lansius burst out laughing, leaving Audrey red-faced and frowning.

“Drey, you’re already a Baroness.”

Realizing her foolishness, Audrey pouted.

“Come here,” he beckoned with open arms.

Feigning anger to hide her embarrassment, Audrey turned away to wash her face and brush her teeth.

Once she was done, Lansius said, “You know, we’ve come a long way from pitching tents by the roadside.”

“Mm, yeah… I still can’t believe we live in a mansion like this,” Audrey said, looking around at the painted ceilings and the bright, colorful tapestries.

“A lot still needs to be fixed, though,” said Lansius. The place looked old but was still better than most rooms in the castle.

“I’m looking forward to seeing an even better room than this,” she said with a small grin, then climbed into bed beside him.

Lansius took a deep breath, looking at Audrey beside him. How he wished their conversations could always be like this—just a normal couple. “Drey,” he said, his tone becoming serious.

“Hush,” she interrupted. “I know... Let’s just sleep like this and forget about the Lord stuff for now. It can wait.”

Lansius smiled and hugged her tightly. “This is why I can’t be happy with anyone but you.”

Audrey bit her lip, clearly pleased with the compliment.

“You know... I couldn’t say no if you needed to enter into a political marriage,” she said softly after a moment.

“As if I could. I’m merely the consort to the Baroness,” Lansius reassured her, treasuring the moment.

That earned him a solid kiss.

“Margo is still up,” Lansius warned.

“He’s old enough to be a squire,” Audrey replied, crawling on top of him. "Besides, I already told him to retire to the staff's quarter."

“What did you tell him?” asked Lansius.

"That I'm perfectly able to guard you," she giggled. Hearing that, with a swift but gentle motion, Lansius rolled, taking her with him as he shifted their positions. And so, the two fulfilled the ultimate duty of nobility—to produce an heir.

 

***

 

Nicopola

As summer drew to a close, the clashes across the region became the norm of the day. Driven by hysteria and starvation, people began attacking even those within their own factions.

Livestock and wildlife had been wiped out; even insects and birds had become scarce. After sundown, Nicopola fell into an eerie silence, broken only by the wind. As food sources dwindled, people resorted to eating tree bark and other desperate means for sustenance.

Half-eaten corpses littered the side roads and back alleys. In hidden markets, what was grimly referred to as gray flesh was being bartered as food.

Unable to endure the hardships in Nicopola any longer, tens of thousands set out for neighboring provinces. This second wave came fully armed, well aware that they would not be welcomed and expecting heavy resistance.

Their desperation was so dire that many also risked venturing into the conflict-prone region of Lowlandia. Now, thousands were converging toward the Korimor region and its almost ready to harvest fields. Their goal was not just to find food. Knowing that Nicopola would remain conflict-ridden for years to come, they came to settle and occupy.

 

***

 

Sir Harold

In record-breaking time, the preparations for reinforcement were completed. Normally, mobilizing a barony would take weeks—sending bannermen to invite knights, recruiting from towns and villages, and contracting men-at-arms.

The speedy preparation was due to the high readiness of the Korelia troops, who lived in billets within the city or in nearby villages. Additionally, the lord had ordered only a small advance guard, further expediting the process.

Tonight, Sir Harold was preparing his gear. He was to lead the advance guard to Korimor. Alongside him, his squire prepared their winter gear and other personal supplies, as Lord Lansius had instructed them to be ready for winter in Korimor.

“Squire,” Sir Harold called when they were halfway through their preparations.

The shy squire looked up. “Yes, sir, is there anything else?” he stuttered.

“You don’t have to accompany me on this campaign. It’s risky.”

“B-but what would I do without you, sir?”

Sir Harold smiled. “Your father gave me a warhorse so I accepted you as my squire. You’ve followed me long enough. Your training is complete. Take the horse back and return to your father.”

“That’s not necessary, sir. I will follow,” the squire said, bowing his head.

“Don’t be blinded by greed. This is Lowlandia; you’ll be closer to death than to knighthood. Return to Midlandia and start a life.”

“I will follow. You can take another, more capable squire, but I’ll still follow,” the squire proclaimed a sense of pride in his voice. Even though he was timid, he enjoyed the camaraderie of Harold’s war-crazed warband. He had found a sense of brotherhood, unlike anything he had ever felt before.

The tall knight smiled at his squire’s bravado and stubbornness. The timid young man displayed a level of guts and loyalty sometimes absent even in knights. In silence, they carried on with their preparations, fully aware that battle was likely on the menu.

At dawn the next morning, the advance guard—consisting of fifteen knights and an equal number of squires—was seen off by the Lord and Lady at the city gate. Then, guided by a nomadic tribesman, Sir Harold’s small warband and the pack animals headed northwest without much fanfare. All were volunteers, and all looked somber.

 

***

 

- NEW! List of Recurring Character.

Dedicated Character Image Channel in Discord: https://discord.gg/CUPpqzTDA3

Twitter: https://twitter.com/HanneAuthor

We have Glossary for early chapter:  Glossary.

If you enjoyed this story, please consider sharing it with others. As always big thank you for all your support, ratings, reviews, and comments.

14