Chapter 84 : White Pieces
490 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 84

White Pieces

 

Dawn had just broken when Sir Michael and Hugo slipped through the city gate and arrived outside the cabin. The cool wind was blowing, and the grass was wet with morning dew.

Sir Harold finally emerged from inside and invited them in. “The Lord wishes to see you.”

“Am I allowed to bring my sword?” Michael asked as he was not part of Lord Lansius’ House.

“Is there any reason not to?” Harold countered with a grin.

Michael chuckled, pleased with the implied trust.

“Don’t worry. He’s perfectly capable of killing us both,” Hugo jested and entered first.

Michael entered and saw Lansius sitting on a folding chair behind a small table. Audrey sat beside him.

“My Lord,” Hugo and Michael greeted him. The latter added, “We welcome you to Korimor.”

“Deputy, Sir Michael,” Lord Lansius replied. "How are Korimor and its people? Do they oppose you?"

“No, at least not openly. But the issue of food rations is ongoing,” admitted Hugo.

“How about House Omin?”

“The House consists only of Lady Hilda and her young son. They pose little threat. It’s no surprise. With the Baroness as their new head of House, they’re essentially an extension of your own House,” Hugo explained.

“I suppose they’re open to the idea of becoming part of the most powerful House in Lowlandia,” Harold commented from behind, eliciting a few smirks and smiles.

Lansius was amused and glanced at Audrey, who responded, “I’ll meet with them today and secure their support.”

“Don’t promise them anything except safety, good land, and a monthly allowance. Take their son as a squire when he’s of age,” Lansius instructed. Then he turned to the two commanders. “What’s the situation with the city’s supplies?”

Hugo looked at Sir Michael, who explained, “The city is fortunate that the previous Lord maintained a large cache of food. The records show that he consistently bought from and used Three Hill’s reserves during his campaigns. However, even with last year’s harvest and the current rations, the granary won’t last through the winter.”

“He is indeed cunning,” Lansius commented.

“Perhaps we can use him instead of sending him back to the dungeon,” Audrey suggested.

Lansius mulled over the idea. “If he’s not too proud, I could place him under someone. But he needs to earn our trust first.” Realizing the conversation had strayed, he added, “Let’s set this issue aside for now. What are your thoughts on the Nicopolans situation?”

“My Lord, first of all, I need to inform you that Lady Daniella was captured,” reported Hugo.

Lansius drew a deep breath but only signaled Hugo to continue. He knew from the last message that she had attempted to broker peace, and it was indeed risky.

Hugo continued, “The enemy is keeping her alive and wants to use her as a hostage.”

“Bargaining tools,” muttered Lansius. “Any reason why she attempted to talk?”

“She said the Nicopolans are fractured. It’s unlikely that everyone agrees on besieging a walled city like Korimor.”

Lansius understood her intention, but alas, it had failed. “How do you think we should solve these Nicopolan problems?”

Hugo looked at Sir Michael and spoke first. “I think we should levy the populace. That way, we’ll have the numbers required to meet them on the field. I believe that our cavalry should suffice to flank them.”

“It’ll be a good battle,” admitted Lansius. “High casualties from both sides, but a victory nevertheless.” Then Lansius gazed at the one-eyed knight.

“My Lord, how about subterfuge?” Michael suggested.

Lansius was piqued. “What do you have in mind?”

“Before Lady Daniella was captured, she reported that her attempt almost worked. The Nicopolans aren’t under one leadership. While in general, they follow this Tarracan Man, there are mercenary companies that have joined in but have different loyalties. And not everyone likes the Tarracan Man.”

“So, she went there not to broker peace but to instigate a mutiny?” asked Lansius.

Michael nodded, “She found out that peace isn’t possible if the Tarracan Man is in the lead. The man simply wants to rule.”

Almost everyone murmured, and Lansius allowed them to vent their disgust.

Audrey sighed. “To use hungry people as a stepping stone.”

“It’s a bloody path, none should ever take,” said Sir Harold.

Lansius closed his eyes, comparing himself with the Tarracan Man. Despite the contrast, he saw some similarities. He had battled Robert and gained Korelia for his own personal gain. He then stubbornly defended it also for his own personal gain.

As if noticing his troubled mind, Audrey placed her hand on his wrist. Lansius glanced at her and nodded in appreciation.

“I hope I’m a better man than he is,” said Lansius.

“My Lord, you surely jest,” said Hugo, surprised. The rest also looked concerned, which pleased Lansius.

“The Lord of Korelia is still recovering; please forgive his tactless jest,” said Audrey. “Perhaps, a duck egg broth could cure this ailment.”

“No, wait--“

“There should be a stockpile in the city. I’ll put up a petition right away,” said Hugo.

“There’s an apothecary in the city. They should have potent medicines,” Sir Michael suggested.

Lansius chuckled and waved it all off. “No duck egg for me, on the pain of no pay,” he threatened. Only then did they realize just how much the Lord hated the broth. Even the Baroness looked the other way, for fear of incurring his wrath.

With his retinue in line, the Lord crossed his arms and asked Michael, “From your words, it seems possible to divide or turn them against themselves.”

“Indeed, My Lord, but it will require some finesse.”

“Do you think you have it?” Lansius asked.

“In commanding battles, I might be worthless, but in courtly matters, I believe I can hold my own,” said Michael confidently.

Lansius sat in silence for a moment, and nobody bothered him, knowing he was deciding on a plan. The shadows from five lanterns hung around the cabin danced as the morning wind began to breeze.

He finally shifted in his seat and spoke, “Hugo, you’re more suited for this task. At the first light, levy a thousand militia from the populace. Double their rations for the duration of the training. Make sure to only take the fit and people with arms, helmets, and at least gambeson.”

“Yes, My Lord,” replied Hugo.

“Sir Harold, pick a hundred of the best from the existing troops from Korimor, their guardsmen, and their mercenaries. Meld them with your men. I want you to prepare them as crack troops in combination with our dragoon regiment.”

“May I ask, what’s their purpose?” asked the tall knight.

“Possibly, hostage rescue,” revealed Lansius. “If we want to divide them successfully, then chances are we’ll need to rescue some families.”

“That’ll be hard to do,” Harold said without mincing words.

“The result may be bleak, but as long as they see us commit,” said Lansius, seemingly out of breath.

Audrey reached out to Lansius. “You’re exerting yourself. Better finish this quickly and get some rest.”

Lansius nodded, watching his men look concerned. “At ease. Just fatigue. Let me outline that I wanted to try to avoid bloodshed, there’s still time before harvest. I have discussed my plans with Sigmund; he’ll be able to give you some pointers about what to do. The Nicopolans should send their envoy today or tomorrow.”

“What if they don’t send one?” asked Audrey.

“Then I’ll make them,” replied Lansius firmly.

 

***

 

Korimor

Within an hour, morning arrived in Korimor, and the fall season could be felt everywhere. The wind carried a strong earthen scent, and there were more clouds overhead.

At first light, as ordered, Hugo and his men marched toward the city plaza and announced the recruitment of a thousand men. This announcement, with the promise of double rations, excited everyone. Word spread like wildfire, and soon many flocked to the plaza with helmets, swords, and gambesons.

While this was expected, there was also another movement of people. Propelled by the Lord of Korelia’s presence outside, and the large allied tribesmen, the Korimors dared to venture outside to collect hay and firewood for the winter.

At first, the guardsmen allowed a small number of them, but before long, a large number began to amass at the city gates, and there was concern that this could turn serious. Sir Michael thus sent a message to Lord Lansius.

When the messenger arrived, the Lord and the Baroness were eating a light breakfast.

“If it’s hundreds of people with carts, it could be a hazard if we need to defend against an attack,” said Audrey.

“What do you think, Sir Harold?” asked Lansius after sipping a bitter herb-infused concoction.

“Well, I say there’s little harm, and if this baits the Nicopolans to move, then perhaps it’s something My Lord can exploit.”

Lansius stifled a laugh at the knight’s cunning answer. “Make some arrangements then.”

“At once, My Lord,” said Sir Harold and left the cabin, taking the messenger with him.

After they left, Audrey asked, “You seem unconcerned with this. Is this within your prediction?”

“No. I didn’t expect this, but it sort of aligns with my plan,” he admitted.

Audrey offered him some sweet bread, and Lansius took a bite.

“Which part is aligned?” she asked after they finished with the bread.

“Well, I insist on staying here and not entering the city to try to provoke a response from the Nicopolans.”

Audrey tried to fathom the reason.

“I want to break the sense of the city being under siege. It’s hard on morale. I want to encourage people to venture outside to gather food, hay, wild berries, or even to go fishing. Those activities will ultimately help the city,” he explained.

“This is exactly what happened,” praised Audrey.

“No, I expected a dozen or tens of people, not hundreds. The Korimors are either bold or desperate,” he said rather worriedly. The situation inside the city might be worse than he expected.

 

***

 

Arriving at the city gate, Sir Harold personally ordered it opened, and hundreds of people armed with scythes marched out. They hurried to the meadows just beyond the city wall, working quickly to gather hay. Horse-drawn carts filled up and shuttled into the city almost non-stop.

The livelihood of their livestock depended on it. Without good hay, the animals would neither fatten up for the winter nor produce milk.

Despite the bustling activity outside the walls, the Nicopolans did nothing. Frustration seemed to build up in their camp, yet they launched no sorties.

After confirming the situation with his scout and Sir Harold, Lansius summoned House Omin. He was determined to use this opportunity to further his plan and solve as many issues as possible.

The issue of the transfer of power was particularly high on his priority list.

Despite his position, Lansius played little role except to witness Audrey take over her House’s leadership from her nephew, a boy younger than Margo. The boy was only assisted by Hilda, his mother. Omin’s wife was native to Lowlandia but was not born in Korimor.

With the symbolic transfer of the patent of Baron of Korimor and the key to the undercroft vault, Audrey officially became a Baroness, styled The Lady of Korimor.

Audrey seemed stoic, emotionless as she took the items and gave them to Carla for safekeeping. Lansius at her side looked proud. Meanwhile, Hilda and her son seemed fearful and nervous until the Lady guaranteed their safety and promised good land.

“We have moved from the castle and have transferred command of the guards to Deputy Hugo. But please allow me to retain some of my older retinue,” asked Hilda.

“As long as you can afford it,” said Audrey. “I’ll give you a monthly allowance, but it won’t be much since we’re at war. Do try to make it work.”

Hilda then asked, “We learned that my husband is here. Can we see him?”

Audrey almost allowed them, but Lansius cleared his throat and advised, “It’ll be hard for him to be seen all dirty and dusty after a long journey. It’s best to prepare him a bath and good clothes, as well as his personal barber and servant. Give them one day, and then tomorrow you can meet him.”

"That is a kind suggestion, My Lord. I shall do as you say," Hilda responded openly.

"A favor, if you could," asked Lord Lansius.

"Please, if it's within my power."

"When you meet your husband tomorrow, please ask about his contingency plan in this situation. I might learn something beneficial to aid our situation. Rest assured, I would consider this a meritorious service."

Hilda understood his intention, expressed her gratitude, and left the premises. Not long after she returned to the city, a host of workers with carts carried three wooden bathtubs. The two largest were for Lord Lansius and the Baroness, complete with hot water, flowers, and clean clothes.

The smallest of the three was intended for Omin, a sign of humility on their part.

Lord Lansius gratefully accepted the gift and cleaned himself. After so many days without baths, the first time always felt good. His skin became supple, and his muscles felt relaxed.

Carla, as the Baroness’s squire, politely confiscated the flowers, replacing them with herbal leaves she had gathered from the tribesmen. She had been taught by Cecile and Calub not to trust anyone too easily. Even insignificant things could contain poison that might harm her charge.

After cleaning himself, Lansius sat in his cabin-turned-command-center and received updates regarding the situation. He confirmed that the Nicopolans had done nothing but dig some pitfalls as measures against a cavalry attack. Next, Hugo sent a report.

“More than enough have joined. Selection and training are ongoing. The anticipation is high,” Roger, the squire, reported on behalf of Hugo.

Lansius nodded. From the window, he could watch Sir Harold condition his men to move speedily under his command and to retreat in an orderly fashion after achieving their objectives.

The new dragoon regiment, the fast-moving footmen riding horses, would also participate. Lansius had yet to give them a role, but they would be vital.

Nearing midday, Lansius was about to survey the location, but Audrey and his staff urged him to get some rest to avoid a relapse.

...

 

Lansius lay down to rest, but a sense of restlessness kept him alert. Whatever had happened to him yesterday and this morning felt distant. Feeling better, he taught Roger how to make bird’s-eye maps instead of sleeping.

Audrey entered the sleeping chamber. “Ah, you’re awake.”

Roger stood straight and bowed his head to the Lady of Korimor, surprising Audrey with the formality.

“Any new developments?” asked Lansius while putting down his quill pen.

“You’re going to like this. We have an envoy,” said Audrey.

Lansius couldn’t help but smirk. “Who’s waiting outside?”

“Harold and Dietrich. They’re giving them the silent treatment,” she replied.

Lansius nodded while feeling the weight of responsibility creeping on his shoulder. It didn't bend his tempered will, merely steeled his resolve.

Here we are, fighting to survive, in a world with the darkest powers...

He recalled a catchy lyric and gazed at Audrey. He felt her trust in him. "Summon Michael and Sigmund. Let the Tragedy of Nicopolans begin."

 

***

 

 

- NEW! List of Recurring Character.

Dedicated Character Image Channel in Discord: https://discord.gg/CUPpqzTDA3

Twitter: https://twitter.com/HanneAuthor

We have Glossary for early chapter:  Glossary.

If you enjoyed this story, please consider sharing it with others. As always big thank you for all your support, ratings, reviews, and comments.

14