Chapter 95 : Accolade
436 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 95

Accolade

 

The music, the field tent, and the high position of the gatehouse shielded Lansius from witnessing the grim aftermath of yesterday's battle. He knew his staff tried hard to protect him from the unsightly procession of the Nicopolans, who were collecting and transporting their dead to be buried in mass graves just outside the fertile grounds.

However, being put on a pedestal did not mean he could stop reflecting on the situation. The flight of crows overhead, on their way to the feast, reminded Lansius that death was always near.

A plan is only good if we act upon it...

Sooner or later, he would have to demonstrate how he could feed an additional four thousand souls through the winter. The Korimor harvest alone would support fewer than a thousand extra, and it might strain their grain market.

Despite the end of hostilities, tensions between the Nicopolans and the people of Korimor remained high, fraught with distrust, leaving Lansius with scant options to resolve the crisis.

Similar to their limited food production capabilities, the city and its surrounding community could, at best, host a thousand for wintering. That was his hope, at least. He would face significant trouble if social conflict arose; therefore, he planned to keep a close eye on reports of dissidents and crimes.

Fortunately, the other groups, the nomadic tribes, were less demanding. Content with the grazing grounds east of Korimor, they only wished to take the captured men and a portion of the loot as their prize.

Lansius agreed but on one condition: the captives would not be treated as slaves. Instead, they were to work as shepherds or in other labor roles for nine years — the time necessary for an infant to grow enough to assume the work of the fathers or relatives they had lost.

Aside from the immediate issue, Lansius was also troubled by the situation in Umberland. The mountainous gateway between Lowlandia and Nicopola remained uncertain. Not even Servius was aware of the conditions there, many months after their departure. There was fear that other Nicopolan groups might have followed into Umberland. The fate of the castle town itself had yet to be ascertained.

As these thoughts preoccupied Lansius, Audrey savored the meal, taking a bite of skewered lamb and flatbread. It was then that she noticed Lansius had not touched his food. "My lord, is something troubling you?"

"Mm...?" Lansius masked his surprise at her inquiry.

"You haven't touched your food," she said, her voice tinged with concern.

Her reaction, coupled with the situation, reminded Lansius of an old tale he once read, and he chuckled.

Audrey furrowed her brows, prompting Lansius to ask, "Would you like to hear a story about a young king and his adviser?"

"This comes out of nowhere," she protested, but then, with a spark of excitement, she added, "But do tell."

Lansius smiled. "In an ancient kingdom, there came a day when a newly crowned king visited his trusted advisor. During their lunch, the young king left his food untouched, lost in thought. Concerned, the advisor asked if he had made a mistake. Only then did the king reveal his worry: I am merely an untalented man; how can I possibly keep my kingdom intact?"

Audrey looked at him intently, and Lansius continued, "The adviser, relieved that he had not erred and recognized that the young king was wise to ponder the state of the kingdom, responded."

Adopting as regal a voice as he could muster. "If a talented ruler is surrounded by talented people, he will be a king above kings. If a less talented ruler has capable people around him, he will still maintain his kingdom as a prince. However, a ruler who is not talented and is surrounded by equally unskilled individuals will surely bring disaster upon his realm."

Audrey stared into the distance. Realizing that Lansius had stopped speaking, she asked, "Is there more to the story?"

"I believe so. The news spread that the new king was so concerned about recruiting talented people that he forgot to eat his lunch. Before long, skilled individuals from far and wide came to offer their services to the king. Because of this, the kingdom remained strong for several generations—until his descendants forgot to heed this wise lesson."

Audrey nodded her head and remarked, "It's a wise story..."

"Indeed," Lansius agreed, reflecting on himself. "Audrey, despite what you may think of me, I'm not that talented—much like the young king in the story."

"Humble are we after the grand victory celebration last night?" she asked with a smug expression.

Lansius chuckled. Last night, everywhere they went, people chanted their names as if they were celebrities. The Korimor people toasted to their health and their everlasting rule.

Audrey licked her lips and adopted a more serious expression. "I understand why you wanted to recruit talent from the Nicopolans."

"From any place," he corrected her. "We need people skilled in various crafts. From fletchers who make arrows, to individuals familiar with clay making for pottery and roofing, to statesmen who can assist us in governing the realm."

"Realms," she corrected him with a sweet glance. "I haven't paid my dowry, so I've decided to give Korimor to you."

"Drey..." he rejected the idea.

"Lans, the town, the castle, even the House... You'll have more use for them than me."

"I'm honored, but it's your House."

She looked at him longingly. "I'm a simple shield maiden. I'm not talented enough to run a city."

"You've used my own story against me," Lansius lamented.

"Praise me, for I have been a good student," Audrey quipped.

He laughed at her jest, all while the beautiful melodies of string instruments and flutes continued to fill the air.

"Accept it. Otherwise, I fear that someone will exploit me sooner or later," she suggested.

"I doubt anyone would dare to cross the famed war Baroness."

"That’s the thing. I’m good with battle, but know nothing about leading a domain or managing the coins."

Her words made Lansius ponder. "The city isn’t mine to take, but I can manage it on your behalf," he said, finally finding his appetite and taking a bite of the skewered meat.

Audrey sighed with relief. "Then, I shall keep Korimor for our sons."

Lansius was intrigued. "Sons?"

"Yes, I doubt you’ll settle for just one," she replied, resuming her meal.

The way she stated it so plainly made him stifle a laugh. "How about a daughter as charming as her mother?"

"I'd rather have a daughter as charming as Lady Felicity."

Lansius selected the best-looking olive and offered it to her. Audrey accepted it with her mouth, savoring the buttery taste of the fermented fruit. After a moment, she said, "Lans, you're now the lord of two baronies and the leader of a grand alliance."

"My title means nothing if you're not happy."

"Who says I'm not happy?" she protested. "I'm overjoyed." She took his hand and caressed it. "It's I who fears that you're not happy."

"Me...?" Lansius asked, surprised.

"Once, you told me that you wished to live far from the city—in a village or up in the forest. Do you still wish for that?"

Lansius chuckled, the words reminding him of simpler times. "I admit, I did say something to that effect."

"Where is home, Lansius?" Audrey asked softly.

The music from the skald's harp and other musicians became even more uplifting, as if they were on the verge of a great adventure.

Lansius gazed at his wife, whose fierce eyes were directed at him longingly. "This is home," he assured her. "Wherever you are, I'm home."

 

***

 

Korimor Castle

It was the second watch when Lansius heard knocking at the door. Audrey was the first to get up, blade in hand.

"My Lord, My Lady, I apologize, but Roger is in critical condition," explained Carla from the other side of the door.

Audrey opened the door to a slit and asked, "How bad?"

"The physician told me that they might need to amputate the hand," Carla replied worriedly.

"The sword hand?" Audrey turned grim. For a squire to lose his sword hand would be the end of their career.

Lansius appeared behind Audrey and asked, "I'm guessing the physician asked for our permission?"

"Indeed, My Lord. They're waiting at the castle's infirmary."

"Guide us there. No need to wake anyone else," Lansius instructed.

...

 

Roger lay on the sickbed, sedated but mumbling and groaning in pain. His skin was pale, his fever unrelenting, and some spots on his right hand were turning black.

Upon seeing Lansius, the physician blurted out, "My Lord, we mustn't tarry. The man's life is in peril."

"But it's the sword hand," Carla protested on behalf of her friend.

"Better the hand than his life," replied the tired physician.

"Give us some room," said Lansius, and they obliged. He inspected the hand himself and was taken aback by the severity of the infection.

Gangrene has set in...

The broken finger from the battle had led to a nasty infection. "Have you got the poppy milk?" Lansius asked.

Before the physician could answer, Audrey interjected, "Wait, leave us." Lansius looked at her, puzzled.

Carla, the physician, and his aide left the chamber.

"What are you doing?" Lansius asked in a hushed tone, watching as Audrey carefully inspected the hand. She then held her palm just above it, not touching but seemingly hovering with purpose.

"Recite the verse Hannei used to chant," she urged. Lansius realized her intent.

"I don't remember, and we don’t have time. The flesh is rotting; he needs immediate treatment."

"I know this sickness. Trust me, we have time. Just recite something from your language. It’s Roger's best shot."

Lansius racked his brain and recalled the only prayer he could remember. "Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name..."

Audrey blinked in surprise as Lansius uttered the unfamiliar language. She tried her hardest to recite the tongue-twisting words. However, despite her best efforts, even after half an hour, there were no changes to the hand.

She exhaled deeply, and Lansius comforted her, "You’ve done your best."

"No remorse," she said before calling back the physician, who returned with the town's best barber.

The barber brought his sharpest tool and performed the amputation cleanly and with ease. They were fortunate that only the little and the ring fingers needed to be removed.

Hearing this, everyone breathed a sigh of relief. With two fingers and a thumb remaining, Roger might still be able to wield a sword, though his grip wouldn't be as strong.

"There are ways of using a strap connected to the wrist to improve grip strength," Lansius reassured Carla and Audrey.

Keen to avoid causing a commotion as more castle staff curiously peeked in, eager to be near their Lord and Lady, Lansius and Audrey decided to retire to their bedchamber.

"I feel foolish," Audrey admitted.

"For a Baroness to care deeply for her squire is praiseworthy," Lansius replied.

She sighed. "I’m just a fake one."

"Hush," Lansius said, drawing her close. "I won’t allow anyone to belittle my wife."

She looked up at him. "Not even myself?"

"Especially not yourself."

Audrey managed a small pout. "I’ll heed My Lord’s words then."

He continued to embrace her. "He’ll be alright. He’s receiving the best care available in Korimor. Just like the last time with the spear wound, he’ll return stronger."

"I’ll train him harder. He’s been too careless and reckless," she resolved.

Satisfied with her response, Lansius gently suggested they rest, mindful of the long night and the important day awaiting their two Houses tomorrow.

 

***

 

Korimor

On the third day following their victory, the Lord and Lady of Korimor held a knighting ceremony. For many in their retinue, this honor had been a long time coming.

Hugo, attired in fine white linen and a red robe symbolizing purity and readiness to shed blood for their realm, knelt in the Great Hall before Lord Lansius. The assembled staff watched solemnly.

Initially, Lord Lansius had suggested that Lady Audrey, the one who held the Baroness' patent to knight Hugo, since he had not yet received his. However, Hugo had personally requested Lord Lansius, declaring, "Patent be damned. I want the man who led us to victory to knight me."

This sentiment resonated with the staff, bringing an additional challenge to Lansius who scrambled to memorize the lines since this morning. Despite being officially registered as a knight of the Mercantile Empire, Lansius had never been formally knighted. While not required to memorize the lines, he feared botching this important event.

Carla was now reading the list of Hugo's achievements, detailing the battles he had fought under the blue and bronze banners. Once the embellished records were complete, Hugo solemnly made his vow of honor, loyalty, and bravery.

Afterward, Lansius took the sword offered to him on a silver tray. The ceremonial sword was heavier than the usual arming sword, intricately etched and decorated. He gently tapped the flat side of the sword on Hugo’s right shoulder, then on the left. "Rise, Sir Hugo, may you serve the House with loyalty and honor."

Following Hugo, Daniella was also knighted. Unlike Hugo, she had personally requested Lady Audrey to confer the title.

The event also celebrated Sigmund and Dietrich, who received their formal titles as Captains. Roger, still recovering in the infirmary, and Carla were formally titled as squires to the Lord and Lady.

In addition, rewards and prizes were given to Sir Harold, Sir Michael, and Servius for their large contributions in battle.

This week would mark Sir Michael's last in Korimor. With the campaign concluded and their pockets filled with coins, his riders longed to return to White Lake. For them, the last few weeks had been a grand adventure. They had started as a relief force for Korelia, but ended up taking Korimor and fighting against thousands of Nicopolans.

Their victory would bring back honor and prestige to White Lake and Lord Robert.

The knighting ceremony also established a clear distinction between House Lansius and House Audrey. In House Lansius, Sir Justin and Sir Hugo served as Marshal and Deputy, respectively. In contrast, similar positions were intentionally left vacant in House Audrey.

Instead, for overseeing security and the troops, House Audrey relied on the role of Captain of the Guard, held by Dame Daniella, assisted by Captain Dietrich as the Master of the Horse, responsible for the cavalry.

Carla and several staff members were also transferred to House Audrey. This arrangement enabled House Audrey to maintain complete independence during emergencies, as it already managed its own expenses, paying its own troops, officers, and other essential staff.

 

***

 

Council Chamber

After the celebration and lunch, due to pressing matters, the two Houses convened for the first time. The council chamber in Korimor, larger and more grandiose than Korelia, boasted a marvelous round table, its surface lacquered to a high-gloss finish.

"You should ask Sir Michael to stay," Audrey suggested, once they had settled down for the session.

Carla and Sir Hugo turned their gaze towards them.

"What made you think that way?" asked Lansius.

"He's reliable and matched your wits well."

Lansius nodded his head in agreement, also believing that Sir Michael had become indispensable. "What's your take on him?" he asked Sir Hugo

"Well, he's one of the best we have in terms of court-related manners. He's also a well-rounded knight. I count myself as his friend," Sir Hugo stated.

"You said it yourself, you lack talent. There's no need to wait for Nicopolan talents to prove themselves," Audrey urged.

"But he's Lord Robert's vassal," Lansius pointed out.

Suddenly, a distinct sound from outside interrupted their discussion, drawing everyone's attention.

"Weapons clashing," the deputy observed, quickly rising and heading for the door, with Carla following close behind.

Outside, Sigmund was sprinting alongside the guardsmen. "We have sightings of intruders."

 

***

 

List of Recurring Character

 
Dedicated Character Image Channel in Discord: https://discord.gg/GTu6SBEwvA

Twitter: https://twitter.com/HanneAuthor

We have Glossary for early chapter:  Glossary.

If you enjoyed this story, please consider sharing it with others. As always big thank you for all your support, ratings, reviews, and comments.

9