Chapter 101 : Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
422 4 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 101

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

War is sweet to the inexperienced

 

Fall of the Elven Calendar, 4425. Despite the ongoing succession crisis in Midlandia, at the behest of the Tiberia and Elandia provinces, which were struggling against Lord Gottfried's assault from Arvena, Lord Bengrieve decided to act, marching his troops to the border.

Externally, this action demonstrated Midlandia's loyalty to the Imperium. However, Bengrieve harbored a different motive. He had secretly entertained an open pact with Gottfried by agreeing not to wage war or compete against each other. Therefore, Midlandia's move towards Elandia was essentially an annexation, veiled as a relief force.

The catalyst for this decisive move was a critical piece of information: the Capital had not mobilized its army to resolve the Nicopolan crisis. Bengrieve interpreted the absence of military movement in the face of a major threat as a clear indication of the Emperor's demise.

This revelation emboldened and spurred Bengrieve to accelerate his plans for Midlandia. Even the absence of Audrey, the person he saw as most fit for the purpose, did not stop him. Bengrieve settled on Hannei as his future head of state—a figurehead for the theocratic rule he deemed most effective for controlling the masses.

Meanwhile, outside Midlandia, at least three other Lords saw through the Imperium's indecisiveness. Born into power and with little understanding of the horrors of war and the age of strife, these nobles maneuvered to advance their own agendas, treating the situation as nothing more than a game of politics.

Lord Gottfried had gained a foothold in east Tiberia and began spreading rumors that the Ageless One was dying and had been taken hostage by the High Lords. As refugees traveled westward to avoid the war, the rumors traveled with them. This way, Gottfried successfully sowed chaos among the Imperium's populace.

With Nicopola, Elandia, and now Tiberia engulfed in turmoil, the Imperium faced its darkest hours.

 

***

 

New Korelia

"Dear Lord and Lady, your vassal, Sir Justin, writes to report on the progress in Korelia. I hope this letter finds you well. The building project for Korelia is progressing smoothly. The city wall on the western side is beginning to..." The Marshal seemed to ponder about the correct words.

"To take shape?" Calub suggested, and Sir Justin motioned with his hand, prompting Cecile to write it down.

Sir Justin then waited for Cecile to catch up. "Now, what comes after the wall?" he asked afterward.

Calub massaged his temple. "Well, we have reports from the newly opened farms, its windbreaker, and windmill..."

"I think we also need to report about the orphanage, guild hall, and bazaar," Cecile commented while jotting in her waxed tablet.

"I guess we can report on the orphanage," Sir Justin mulled. "But there is almost little to no progress on the other two."

"We also have the mud houses for winter, the duck project, and the market posts," Cecile offered more suggestions.

Sir Justin whistled at the suggestions. "You know, when I learned Sterling had arrived I was overjoyed. I thought that I could just report all this verbally to him. So unfortunate that he left so soon to Korimor."

The other two chuckled upon hearing the confession.

"Well, he is with Anci, and he is always unpredictable," Calub commented, followed by Cecile, "Which reminds me, we have news of the coming of officials from the Capital and the noble patent."

Calub leaned forward. "I think we should write it down first since it is the most important. That and the grain shipment from White Lake and the East Lowlandia Merchants."

Sir Justin nodded in agreement. "As long as Cecile can keep track."

"Let me add that to the draft. What else?" she asked.

Sir Justin pondered. "I want to report that the military training for levied troops using crossbows is progressing smoothly."

Calub added, "The spinning wheel device the Lord ordered has also arrived. Also, Lord Robert had sent his staff to begin the work on his estate."

Cecile wrote what they had said on her wax tablet.

"There is also a... What should we write about the bathhouse?" Sir Justin asked with a big grin.

Calub chuckled. "A slight error?"

"A happy accident?" Cecile suggested.

The three chuckled at their own words.

"Don't worry, I shall take the blame," Sir Justin declared.

"No, you must not. I'm the one who gave the approval," Calub insisted.

Due to being overworked, both Calub and Sir Justin approved the Midlandia Mason guild's proposal to prioritize the watermill and bathhouse. The two had only seen the watermill, not realizing it was part of a package with the bathhouse. As it turned out, the watermill, aside from grinding grains into flour, also functioned as a water pump.

The guild that built it was highly specialized, having constructed hundreds in Midlandia. They brought finished cogs, axles, and gears from their workshop ready to be assembled. With the help of local carpenters and masons, they built the first watermill with ease.

Developed in parallel with the watermill by another branch of the guild, the bathhouse's open-air section opened and quickly became an attraction. Although it lacked a heated section, essentially just an open pool, from day one it drew large crowds compared to its humble size. Visitors gladly paid for a respite in the clean pool and its sporting hall.

Rumors that the golden-haired Lady Felicity was visiting only sparked more interest. Women flocked to the bathhouse, eager to bathe their daughters in the same pool as the honored Lady.

With the bathhouse proving profitable, the guild planned to expedite the completion of its heated section, thereby transforming it into a full-fledged facility. However, a problem arose: Korelia's small forest couldn't meet the increasing demand for firewood. It barely supplied enough for the castle and townsfolk during winter. Moreover, the forest was privately owned by the Lord as a hunting ground.

Thus, one merchant group took the initiative and decided to import quality firewood from neighboring White Lake. When news reached Korelia that Korimor had been taken, another merchant group swiftly arranged a caravan to secure a firewood contract from that region.

The bathhouse inadvertently became the first economic powerhouse in New Korelia. It attracted two merchant groups, each vying to become the top supplier of firewood. Their quest for quality wood stimulated active trade routes between Korelia and two other cities, trading local goods and surpluses.

With each return journey, they also stimulated smaller economies along the way. Sensing an opportunity, villages and marches improved their inns and maintained stables to accommodate these merchants. Given the bathhouse's nearly year-round demand for firewood when it was completed, their regular visits were almost guaranteed.

The effect on the route to Korimor became even more pronounced. Traveling through Lord Lansius' new market post route, the merchants began to reap clear benefits from the available shelter, protection, water source, and hospitality. What was once a harsh and inhospitable route in the Great Plains turned into a bearable journey.

As for the tribesmen, after receiving their first guests, they began to recognize the profit potential. Coins, which were hard to come by, now flowed easily with each transaction. These coins were used as savings to purchase grains and secure their livelihood when the weather turned bad.

Thus, the tribes adapted to meet the travelers' needs. They put more work into making their renowned wool products, ranging from thick, durable socks that provided warmth on long journeys, to blankets woven with intricate patterns, offering not only comfort but a taste of tribal artistry.

Their woolen jackets, sturdy and weather-resistant, became a popular choice among the merchants and other travelers for their practicality in the often harsh climate.

Additionally, they boosted the production of mare milk wine, a local specialty, to be traded for high-quality, almost smokeless firewood. The humble firewood, originally only intended to meet the demands of the bathhouse, turned into an unexpected linchpin in a growing trade network.

...

 

Sir Justin

The Marshal strolled along the corridors with a relaxed gait, accompanied by his squire. His whistling brought forth a carefree, wandering tune that his little daughter liked. With Korelia now at peace, Sir Justin had invited his family from the safety of Midlandia. They were among the lucky few who had managed to escape from Arvena.

He couldn't wait to meet them and bring them to the manor house he had prepared. But before that, he planned to take them on a tour around Korelia. The new bathhouse was phenomenal, even boasting a private family section. The new bakery was also offering the latest patisseries trend from Midlandia.

As Sir Justin descended into the Great Hall with mind drifting to his family, a messenger was waiting for him.

"Marshal, a letter from the Lord," the man in weathered attire informed.

Upon hearing this, the Marshal couldn't help but smirk. "Talk about coincidence," he mused as he broke the wax seal and read the letter. Yesterday, he had just finished his report and sent it, and now the Lord had sent his own.

To Sir Justin, Marshal of the House,

I, the Lord of Korelia, command thee to release one hundred of the best-behaved men from South Hill that we have captured. Thou shalt send them to South Hill—

"South Hill!?" he exclaimed, gazing at the messenger. "You sent this from South Hill? By the Ageless, where is the Lord right now?"

The rider proudly answered, "By now, my Lord should have left the Three Hills region and is currently marching towards South Hill."

Hearing this, the Marshal burst into loud laughter, drawing the attention of the servants and other castle staff nearby. "Did you hear that?" he asked his squire. "The Lord isn't in Korimor anymore. He's on march, to South Hill."

The news amazed everyone and they began to crowd around. Meanwhile, his squire commented, "The Lord is certainly spirited. Then what should we do, Sir?"

Sir Justin returned to the letter at hand and muttered as he read, "You'll send them to South Hill with enough escorts and using horse carts or simple carriages as much as possible so they could reach South Hill with haste. You're also to pack a hundred crossbows and bolts for the future campaign..."

He nodded in understanding and said, "It seems we have our work cut out for us." He then drew a deep breath and called, "Squire."

"Yes, Sir."

"Summon Maester Calub, the Captain of the Guard, and the Stable Maester. Let's get to work. Lord Lansius is waiting."

 

***

 

South Hill

A young girl clad in simple brown garments, typically worn by the farming community, ran hastily along the dirt road, barefooted, her small brother's hand tightly in hers. Shouts and cries echoed from the direction of their humble home, but she did not dare look back. Her breaths soon failed her, yet she managed to put some distance between them and the Lord’s men.

Her brother pulled at his hand, feeling pain in his wrist. As they caught their breaths, a group of minstrels on a journey stumbled upon them.

“What happened? A bandit?” the closest man in flute and bright yellow garb asked.

Panting, the girl warned amidst her breathlessness, “Do not go there. The Lord’s men are at it again... Just now, they were beating our parents.”

The troupe, a motley crew adorned in colorful garb, turned tense.

The one who looked like a leader in red garb with a small harp slung across his back stepped forward and knelt. “Do not worry. You are safe with us. We'll protect you.”

Another member expressed his displeasure openly. "But why? What could provoke them to beat the peasant so close to harvest?"

“The lord demands more time spent on his lands, but our own fields... they are being neglected,” the girl boldly explained. “My brother and uncle went to Korelia and have not returned. We cannot tend to both, or our harvest... will fail.”

The red minstrel nodded solemnly, understanding the gravity of the situation. “Without a good harvest, there will not be enough food for winter.”

The girl nodded, her eyes darting back toward the direction of their home, fear and concern obvious in her gaze.

The leader motioned to his band. “I think we need to meet these men and play some music.”

Ruckus and lively banter appeared out of nowhere until one said, “Sigmund, are you sure?”

“What, you are going to let these lord's men to exact violence?” the red minstrel asked.

“No, but I do not want to get on the Lord and Lady’s bad side.”

The man named Sigmund smiled jovially and patted the sister and brother’s shoulders. “You see Dietrich. That is why we have them.”

“Oh, that's clever..." the ones named Dietrich nodded.

Sigmund smiled. “Kids, we will help your parents.” Then, to the rest of the group, “Men, onward. Don't let anyone escape.”

The men in bright clothing laughed and walked steadily with purpose. The children watched them, finding it bizarre to see a circus of colors with flutes and other musical instruments marching with determination and wide, sinister grins.

“But Maester, you are only minstrels,” she cautioned, while the boy continued to hide behind her.

“Don't worry, we are strong enough to handle bandits,” Sigmund replied.

“But the Lord has many men,” she warned them again.

The skald chuckled while Dietrich patted the girl's head and spoke, “No worries, soon we will have hundreds of friends. And tomorrow, probably more friends than you have learned to count.”

 

***

 

- New Landing Page for Horizon of War, updates, Map & Character List

 
Dedicated Character Image Channel in Discord: https://discord.gg/GTu6SBEwvA

Twitter: https://twitter.com/HanneAuthor

We have Glossary for early chapter:  Glossary.

If you enjoyed this story, please consider sharing it with others. As always big thank you for all your support, ratings, reviews, and comments.

8