Arc 4: Chapter 01
64 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 01 [arc four]

The twenty-two-year-old reminisced about that day in misery. She missed Sera terribly and wished that the woman was by her side. The redhead was alone in the strange environment because of one choice. If she had stayed home, she would have served and been home eating with her mother. She swallowed the steak in her mouth and pushed the rest around her plate. Across from her, the king pretended to eat his own. Lilibet declined to come tonight, as she could tell they were tense. And she was thankful for that, as the two desperately needed to have a conversation. A private one where they hash it all out. 

"If you don't let me out, I'll run," Karylin announced at dinner one night. She looked exhausted and was feeling sick of the man continuing to keep her locked away. "I know that we're angry at each other, but listen to me, please." 

He continued to ignore her and cut his steak. The man wasn't eating like usual. "I feel like I'm going to waste away here. And anytime I speak about feeling like this, you don't do a thing to help me." Her voice was weak at this point as she teared up. 

The man sighed and pushed some of his steaks around with a bored expression on his face. "Didn't Lili explain everything to you already?"

"No. She barely tells me anything that you don't want her to. I have no clue what's going on here or why you want me to stay. So what if I'm some mythical, biblical figure? I doubt I'm of any use to you, powerless and ignorant." By now, she had started to raise her voice and get red in the face. The man made her want to scream at times.

The ogre king gave her a look that you would when seeing a toddler having a tantrum over their toys. "You could ask me nicely, you know. I would love for you to understand my actions, but you act like a little child when I am alone with you." 

"Are you serious right now? Am I acting childish? You won't let me leave your house and it's been weeks. The only person you let see me is Lili, and she's your lapdog." Referring to the blonde that way felt wrong, but Karylin was too upset to care. 

She was at a loss for words and resisted the urge to run out of the room. The man treated her like a child constantly. When she mentioned her desires, he would brush them off and claim to know better. She didn't doubt that he did know more than her about society. He had been alive for centuries, gaining more power with his increased social status. But that didn't mean she was an idiot. Playing the game gave her a treasure trove of background information on how it all worked. All Karilyn wanted was for him to apologize for his actions. And then when he said sorry, he'd let her out. 

The king put his silverware down, a rare moment of guilt showing as he stared. "I assumed you enjoyed Lili's company. If I had known you felt otherwise, I would have never sent her your way." 

Karilyn was upset, as the man was misconstruing her words. Now Lilibet might think the twenty-two-year-old had a grudge against her or something. "That's not the point." She started to say only for him to interrupt with his declaration. 

"I apologize if you feel that what I've done is wrong. I think our differing existences have caused our relationship to grow complicated. From the beginning, I've struggled with your humanity. I fear if I let you leave, unwatched, you will die." The ogre king admitted in a somber tone. 

"I have lived for centuries and throughout those years, I've only met three maidens. And all of them died before their twentieth birthdays. You appear to be seventeen, so I intend to make sure you celebrate yours in one piece." He spoke directly to her and made sure to maintain eye contact. His voice was calm, like always, but she could feel he was telling the truth. 

Karilyn nodded and responded with her heart. "I get that, but I can't accept your apologies. You've left me in the dark for so long because of your past with them. I feel like I won't last that long being locked away, either. You're making me wallow in my misery because of them." 

"I know. I just assumed it was the best course of action to keep you hidden away. And I won't lie and say that my opinion has changed. But I see now that it's hurting you deeply." It shocked the woman he was admitting it. Honestly, she expected him to call her childish and move on. 

"So, I'll take you out with me. Tomorrow. I'll let you come with me into the city and have you see why I'm so overprotective." Her heart felt like it fell out of her ass as she gaped. The man stared back and gestured for her to respond quickly.

Not wanting to waste her chance, she agreed. "I would love that. Thank you for listening to me and giving me a chance. I swear, I'll be fine." 

"Good. I'll wake you at nine and take you there." And with that, he went back to his steak.

The twenty-two-year-old was losing it from the man giving in to her demands. It excited Karilyn at the thought of exploring the city. She would be seeing a futuristic world different from her own. So many things would be open to her and so many people to speak to. There were some suspicions she had about his intentions, though. It just seemed out of his character. Especially after he gave her that speech about the maidens and their fates. But she wasn't going to waste her chance of getting out of this prison. She'd still be under his control, but she was working on that. 

3