Chapter 75 – Joyously Naming Our Bastians
21 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I appreciate you joining me on this journey. Your engagement, whether it's reading, commenting, or sharing, truly means a lot to me.

I'd like to let you know that a 7-Day Free Trial on the Elite Patron Nest tier is now available on Patreon. This is a great chance to experience all the exclusive content available to patrons.I also have a Discord server for deeper conversations.

Please consider following or favouriting the story if you're enjoying it, and your reviews are always welcome. Each form of support helps our reading community grow. Thank you, and I look forward to sharing the next chapter with you!

Screech! Screech!

The resounding echo of the Centzors’ ear-wrenching cries created a terror that made Hao’s imagination run wild about the nasty creatures closing in on him. He could feel the damp air of the cavern suffocating him and to make matters worse, he had lost his Vibe Sense, which left him unable to perceive his surroundings fully.

Sensing their prey's vulnerability, the Centzors, began to launch a barrage of attacks at him. They lashed and they twisted with their lengthy stingers, leaving him scrambling to dodge the onslaught while he desperately searched for his sword that he had accidentally dropped earlier.

Through the darkness, the mother Centzor's gaze was fixed on him. He couldn't see her, but he could sense the shifting air density and knew that she was preparing to strike him down. Sweat poured down his face as he awaited the inevitable. However…

"Vee! I'm on my way!" Mentos leapt into the fray to save his friend. "Hold on!" But before he could fall any further, one of the Sword Fishes swooped in and snatched him out of the air, much to his surprise. “No, get off!” He struggled against the creature, shouting for it to release him, but the Sword Fish held him tightly with its grasper. Instead of releasing him, it nosedived downwards, speeding towards Hao and the pack of Centzors surrounding him.

Whoosh!

The Sword Fish was descending swiftly. Hao felt the wind rushing past his face. Just as the mother Centzor was about to attack, the Sword Fish scooped up Hao along with his Vibe Edge in a split-second manoeuvre that left the monstrous creatures behind, utterly bewildered.

Enraged, the Centzors hissed because their hunger was still unsatiated. Their many eyes followed the Sword Fish, watching it soaring upwards towards the hole in the ceiling where Maelstrom and the other Sword Fish awaited them.

While being carried to safety, Mentos turn to his friend and inquired, "Are you okay, Vee?"

“Yes, thanks for coming back for me.” With Vibe Edge now back in his grasp, Hao felt a rush of adrenaline expanding his vision. He noticed that the Centzors had not given up their pursuit. They were viciously crawling up the cavern walls, hellbent on reaching the hole before their prey could escape.

"Go faster!" Mentos urged the Sword Fish, which tried its best to comply. However, the strain was evident – the Sword Fish's bubble tank was running dangerously low on liquid.

Whoosh!

The race to the hole was a heart-stopping contest between the Sword Fish and the pack of Centzors. But it appeared as though the Sword Fish would reach the hole first. As they neared the opening, the sounds of the approaching Centzors grew louder, propelling their desperation to escape.

Finally, they reached the hole and pulled themselves through, then collapsed on the other side nearby Maelstrom and the other Sword Fish. Exhausted but relieved, they panted heavily, trying to regulate their breathing.

Knowing that the Centzors were still hot on their tails, the Sword Fishes quickly worked together to seal the entrance. They expelled bubbles from their mouths, the bubbles rapidly expanded and then popped, instantly turning into a solid wall of ice that blocked the way. They ensured that the Centzors would not be able to reach them; for a while at least. The effort drained their tanks dramatically, as a result, they had to lower themselves on the ground to rest for a while.

“Huff! Huff!”

An air of sombreness enveloped Mentos and Hao, who found themselves leaning against an unforgiving slab of stone, taking a much-needed respite from their brush with catastrophe. Their bodies bore evidence of their recent nerve-wracking escapade. Beads of perspiration glittered on their brows; also, their fatigued expressions bore a striking resemblance.

"Bugger me, I thought we'd be their dinner for sure," Mentos’ words rippled with lingering fear.

Hao merely nodded while his heartbeat still galloped within him. "Too close for me liking, mate."

Mentos scanned the icy barricade that secured the entrance to their hiding spot. "That frosty shield did us a solid, kept them rabid beasts at bay. But I've got a niggling feeling it won't last much longer," he opined with anxiety lining his face.

"Can't argue with you there," Hao acquiesced because his Vibe Sense painted a vivid picture of the Centzors' frenzied efforts to penetrate their sanctuary, their tenacity sent a jolt of trepidation through his very being.

They hoisted themselves up with their gazes wandering around the newly discovered territory. A cavernous space unfolded before them, studded with stalactites and stalagmites, yet the exit remained elusive.

"Shouldn't we be nearer to the surface, Vee?" Mentos queried while the distant scrabbling of the Centzors underscored his fear. "Use your vibe gizmo and suss out an escape route." He gestured to Vibe Edge.

Mentos, Maelstrom, along with the Sword Fishes entrusted their survival to Hao. The responsibility sat heavily on his shoulders, so he was resolved not to falter.

"Alright, pipe down. I'm going to stretch my Vibe Sense," Tweaking the miniature speakers, Hao began adjusting Vibe Edge's settings for broader range perception and a longer frequency release rate with Vibe Seeker. He observed the microscopic world within Mentos, also, the creatures, the organisms residing in the walls, and the intricate atomic compositions of the surrounding rocks. His vision extended well beyond a hundred meters, cutting through a multitude of objects and layers of earth.

Hao pinpointed the exit eventually, but something else piqued his interest on the opposite side. He chose to investigate the curiosity before leading them to safety, keeping this plan to himself.

"This way," He instructed his companions to follow. They navigated a tight tunnel where their footfalls were whispering back from the void. Their quiet conversations shared hopes and fears coupled with a soundtrack to their desperate journey.

Reaching what seemed like a dead-end, Mentos cast a sceptical glance at the cracked wall. Hao held the secret of what lay beyond, while Mentos frantically searched for another escape. "Are we sure this is the way out, Vee?"

Instead of answering, Hao brought his Vibe Edge down onto the cracked wall. CLANG! The impact jarred his arm, stirring dormant aches. “Ah!” With a grimace, he sheathed his sword and turned to look at Maelstrom. "Big beast, give us a hand and smash this open."

Maelstrom showed no inclination to follow Hao's order. Therefore, Mentos intervened, attempting to coax the creature. "Ease up on the bossing around, mate," he chided Hao. "You did try to suck its essence into that bloody sword, remember?" He gestured towards Judgment Day, then turned his attention back to Maelstrom. "I didn’t register what your previous owner called you. What about a new name? How does Acadian sound? Pretty rad, yeah?"

Narrowing his vision, Hao leaned against the wall, fixated on his sword and in the same breath concerned about his growing wounds. Since the day began, he had been on a nonstop roller coaster ride of battle from the Mile High Depot, the Skyship, Katana Creek and now here in the eerie Conclave.

With his mind just running on Kiera, he said to his friend, "Just stick with Maelstrom. That's what the lady called it." He couldn't be fussed about the beast's name but was wary of acquiescing to Mentos' whims.

However, Mentos was not one to be dissuaded easily. He shrugged off Hao's remark and locked his focus on the creature. "Nah, Acadian fits you better. It means 'peaceful place'. You've earned a bit of tranquillity after the muck you've been through." His voice was mellowed and resonated with empathy.

Meanwhile, the Sword Fishes danced in the air around Hao, their quick, vibrant movements were a delightful spectacle for him to peruse with his Vibe Sense, albeit he pretended not to like it. Their yellow-blue scales produced their own faint radiance which created a spectral glow that haloed Hao. They chirped and whistled, their antics seemingly pleading for his attention like an island of joy amidst the sea of their grim reality.

Spotting this, Mentos couldn't resist poking fun at Hao. "You might as well name those two. They've taken a shine to you." He grinned impishly, watching Hao futilely shoo the creatures away.

With his eyebrows knitting together in thought, Hao mumbled something unintelligible. After a pause, he sighed, conceding to his fate. "Alright. The yellow one's Euphony and the blue one's Symphony." He scanned the creatures then shot Mentos a mock glare. "Happy now?"

Mentos had a satisfied smirk playing on his lips. "What about Euphy and Symphy? It's got a certain charm." He suggested, waiting for Hao's approval.

The Sword Fishes began twirling in ecstasy when they heard their new name. Their transparent scales were twinkling with joy. Hao simply sighed. "Fine, whatever. Euphy and Symphy it is."

With the naming ceremony concluded, it was time to get a move on. With his expression filled with resolve, Mentos turned to Maelstrom and commanded the beast. "Alright, Acadian. We need your brute force. Fancy smashing this wall for us?" He pointed at the cracked wall.

“Growl!” The beast stared at him, then snorted in agreement with its gigantic body rumbling with effort.

With a thunderous roar that reverberated through the cave, Maelstrom reared back and rammed into the wall. BOOM! The collision sent a shockwave through the cavern, instantly, the wall crumbled, revealing a hidden chamber.

Remember, each form of your support is deeply appreciated. Thank you!

See you in the next chapter!

 

0